Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20% off WOW Air flights

• 19-04-2017 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Use code WOWSALE on the website.

http://www.wowair.ie

Around €130 return from Dublin/Cork to Reykjavik is a very good price. (May)

Anyone been to Reykjavik/Iceland before? How many days do you reckon I'd need to go for a first time visitor to the country?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

I'd say 4-5 days. It's expensive for food, alcohol, local crafts, knitwear etc but you will taste the freshest fish you have ever experienced, see and experience the landscape, go to volcano pools, heated outdoor pools etc etc. Great trip but while cheap to get there, its not cheap once there as everything has to be imported:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Would you go during the summer or winter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

Use code WOWSALE on the website.

http://www.wowair.ie

Around €130 return from Dublin/Cork to Reykjavik is a very good price. (May)

Anyone been to Reykjavik/Iceland before? How many days do you reckon I'd need to go for a first time visitor to the country?

When does the 20 percent come off? Just before you purchase or what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

CWF wrote: »
    When does the 20 percent come off? Just before you purchase or what

You enter it when you enter the dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

San Fran next week for €305, not bad at all...

• Advertisement

Can't find solid info online, anyone know if you need to apply for a VISA when travelling to Iceland for 5 days on an Irish passport? I think not but just want to confirm.

No you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

The baggage costs for an average family are a killer - EUR450 for 2 checkin and 2 cabin bags to the US and back (an extra 1 on return). More expensive for summer flights compared to full service providers BA/Virgin.

Rashers72 wrote: »
    The baggage costs for an average family are a killer - EUR450 for 2 checkin and 2 cabin bags to the US and back (an extra 1 on return). More expensive for summer flights compared to full service providers BA/Virgin.

Clearly that's meant as a disincentive to not bring them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

fulhamfan wrote: »
    I'd say 4-5 days. It's expensive for food, alcohol, local crafts, knitwear etc but you will taste the freshest fish you have ever experienced, see and experience the landscape, go to volcano pools, heated outdoor pools etc etc. Great trip but while cheap to get there, its not cheap once there as everything has to be imported:)

Use Air B&B for accommodation too. Hotels are pricey.

We had a great place on Vitastigur in November, right in the city centre.

Do the golden circle tour. Bus excursion works out around €60 for the day.

I've a hankering to go back, rent a car and drive around spending more time at Thingvellir/ Gulfloss and some more hiking and touring around.

Spectacular country!

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Use Air B&B for accommodation too. Hotels are pricey.

We had a great place on Vitastigur in November, right in the city centre.

Do the golden circle tour. Bus excursion works out around €60 for the day.

I've a hankering to go back, rent a car and drive around spending more time at Thingvellir/ Gulfloss and some more hiking and touring around.

Spectacular country!

Any links to your bus excursion for 60 each?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I got a return flight with WOWair to Miami for €220 - leaving tomorrow in fact.

Can't argue with that price - sure I won't get to watch a screen tv or eat airline food but for 220 I can bring a tablet and my own food.

I did get a check in bag though - but that's shared between a friend and myself so overall 280. If it was just myself I'm sure I could have managed with just a personal item bag (size of backpack) but we're going for 12 days in total so thought it was a bit too long to survive on just backpack sized clothing provisions.

Still - managed to plan a Miami trip for 12 days for €750 including accommodation, flights and entertainment. Looking forward to revving a Camaro convertible under the glorious sun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Just back last month. Rented a camper Jeep drove the whole island in a week. Great place, but really you have not experienced expensive until you go to Iceland. Everything is ridiculously expensive, do not do it if youre on a budget.

Good price for the flights tho think mine were 200 something. If you go during summer your almost certainly won't see the northern lights. And everything looks better in winter anyway

Any links to your bus excursion for 60 each?

https://www.re.is/

May have underestimated the exchange rate. Sorry. It's more like 88. I was there in 2015.

https://www.re.is/

May have underestimated the exchange rate. Sorry. It's more like 88. I was there in 2015.

That's ok; thanks for that! Looking at doing one or two of these tours over the 5 nights I'm staying there in may. I won't be driving there.

Was thinking the Golden Circle tour and possibly a waterfall/sights tour and a glacier hike.

Any other suggestions?

That's ok; thanks for that! Looking at doing one or two of these tours over the 5 nights I'm staying there in may. I won't be driving there.

Was thinking the Golden Circle tour and possibly a waterfall/sights tour and a glacier hike.

Any other suggestions?

I'd say the Blue Lagoon would be nice that time of year. I haven't been there myself.

Dillon's Bar in Laugavegur for drinks (happy hour - Dublin prices!!).

Go up the Hallgrimskirke for views.

Harpa (concert halls) is cool too - there might be something on while you're there.

If you like licquorice (I do) you'll find it in all its varieties there!

I'd say the Blue Lagoon would be nice that time of year. I haven't been there myself.

Dillon's Bar in Laugavegur for drinks (happy hour - Dublin prices!!).

Go up the Hallgrimskirke for views.

Harpa (concert halls) is cool too - there might be something on while you're there.

Yeah was thinking Blue Lagoon on the night before we head back!

It is a very expensive country alright - but I got a pretty decent deal on our hotels (used the 14% off code for ebookers - SPRING14 if anyone else is looking)

Got this hotel for the first two nights @ €100 per night; https://www.ebookers.ie/Kopavogur-Hotels-Hotel-Kriunes.h6647410.Hotel-Information

And this (more central) hotel for the last three nights @ €140 per night (including a buffet breakfast too!); https://www.ebookers.ie/Reykjavik-Hotels-CenterHotel-Midgardur.h9853419.Hotel-Information

So not too bad really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

In Miami right now - the wow flight was pretty much as expected though I was caught out by the fact that they didn't have blankets to give to passengers for the transatlantic flight - made the auto air con'ed cabin quite chilly for sleeping. But I'll just remember to bring my towel next time and it'll be fine.

They seemed to be quite generous with what a personal item could be too. I saw a few girls carry soft gym bags that would be larger than their specified dimensions.

The nordic air hostesses were all quite pretty I should add, not that I was looking mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Pay for the exclusive lounge in the blue lagoon. Worth every penny!

Thirdfox wrote: »
    In Miami right now - the wow flight was pretty much as expected though I was caught out by the fact that they didn't have blankets to give to passengers for the transatlantic flight - made the auto air con'ed cabin quite chilly for sleeping. But I'll just remember to bring my towel next time and it'll be fine.

They seemed to be quite generous with what a personal item could be too. I saw a few girls carry soft gym bags that would be larger than their specified dimensions.

The nordic air hostesses were all quite pretty I should add, not that I was looking mind!

Enjoy the break!

Did you bring just a personal item? Would they allow the wheelie small luggage cases that Ryanair allow?

• Advertisement

Enjoy the break!

Did you bring just a personal item? Would they allow the wheelie small luggage cases that Ryanair allow?

Definitely not - look at the sizing on the website - it's literally a small backpack that must be able to fit under the seat.

Definitely not - look at the sizing on the website - it's literally a small backpack that must be able to fit under the seat.

Ah yes, will book in a carry on to share between us so.

Ah yes, will book in a carry on to share between us so.

A mate of mine went with them and that's what they did :).

A mate of mine went with them and that's what they did :).

Perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I got a return flight with WOWair to Miami for €220 - leaving tomorrow in fact.

Can't argue with that price - sure I won't get to watch a screen tv or eat airline food but for 220 I can bring a tablet and my own food.

I did get a check in bag though - but that's shared between a friend and myself so overall 280. If it was just myself I'm sure I could have managed with just a personal item bag (size of backpack) but we're going for 12 days in total so thought it was a bit too long to survive on just backpack sized clothing provisions.

Still - managed to plan a Miami trip for 12 days for €750 including accommodation, flights and entertainment. Looking forward to revving a Camaro convertible under the glorious sun :D

Let us know how the flight goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is there a simple way to just get details of the best value flights rather the trudging through everything separately? Would love to book New York in the next few weeks but I'm not great at navigating the site.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Is there a simple way to just get details of the best value flights rather the trudging through everything separately? Would love to book New York in the next few weeks but I'm not great at navigating the site.

Skyscanner does a month view that includes Wow flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Could not recommend Iceland any more if I tried. Best country I've travelled to.

I would strongly recommend renting a car and driving the golden circle rather than getting a tour bus. It's so easy to drive and stress free. Pull in wherever you want for pictures or to pet Icelandic horses. Wide roads, very little to no traffic on the route. It's so amazing.

Even Reykjavik is so easy to drive in compared to most European capitals. The drivers aren't manic like Paris, Rome etc. The roads are well marked, lanes are clear and everybody obeys the speed limits (which are quite low anyway).

As far as driving abroad goes, Iceland is as easy as it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I'd also recommend a stable just outside of Reykjavik called The Icelandic Horse.

They take you on a tour of volcanic landscape on the Icelandic Horses which are somewhere between a pony and a normal horse. Beautiful animals, and the tour is really great. We did it in the lashing rain and it was the highlight of our trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

WOWSALE doesn't work anymore. Any other working codes?

Advertisement