Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky's Now TV confirmed to launch in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newleaf

My experience of Now TV - signed up for 14-day trial, but they only way I can use it as far as I can see is on iPad and PC. For now not suitable for Chromebook/box/bit. When I tried to cast it to screen from iPad it wasn't compatible with airplay. When I tried to play from laptop to TV using HDMI it froze. Must try that again.
    Also won't work on a UK NowTV box I tried (I haven't a UK account).
    Decided to get Irish version of box with one of the Entertainment passes, to try it for longer, but when I tried to buy it online the ordering process wouldn't work though I tried with different cards and browsers.
    Teething problems I think! They don't seem to be advertising it widely yet, maybe this is why.
    Customer support hit and miss.
    Has anyone successfully got an Irish box yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jdk01

It's difficult to understand that with all their global marketing and pricing expertise that Sky feels able to charge us around 100% more than UK pricing for Entertainment Pass and 40+% more for Cinema pass. Why do we deserve such a pricing differential? Do they think we are stupid not to notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pyro66

Is it possible to get a BT Sports in Ireland in any way apart from through having the full blown Eir (or Vodafone??) subscription? In our house, we're just interested in the occasional rugby match. None of us are interested in Premiership soccer which is probably setting the ridiculous price for these sports packages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

jdk01 wrote: »
    It's difficult to understand that with all their global marketing and pricing expertise that Sky feels able to charge us around 100% more than UK pricing for Entertainment Pass and 40+% more for Cinema pass. Why do we deserve such a pricing differential? Do they think we are stupid not to notice?

Yes.

Yes.

According to the Irish Times. Ann-Marie MacKay, director of products and marketing for Sky and Now TV said the Irish pricing was based on “what would make sense here”.

This combined with the non-availability of major streaming devices, makes me wonder how much pressure senior management must have placed upon Ms MacKay for her to willingly defend such an obviously appalling pricing and availability decision, Poor woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I am thinking of the same for the Lions rugby series. As it is on in June a single monthly pass would cover all the games.
    Is there an immediate catchup service since you can't record?

A bit worried about the rolling monthly contract and if you don't cancel straight away you would be charged for 2 months. The usual tricks they play.

I have a UK account and buy passes online from eBay. Last month had sports for £22. Cancelled it one day before the start of the next month and no charge for a second month.
    Currently have entertainment and movies and kids. Got 6 months entertainment pass for £18 and two months movies for £7.50, and kids pass was 3 months for £5.
    That all works out at around €10 for a month. I have a UK box bought from eBay and also have the Now TV app on my lg TVs which also have Saorview and FTA satellite
    If sky do decide to block my account I will happily go back to using kodi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have a UK account and buy passes online from eBay. Last month had sports for £22. Cancelled it one day before the start of the next month and no charge for a second month.
    Currently have entertainment and movies and kids. Got 6 months entertainment pass for £18 and two months movies for £7.50, and kids pass was 3 months for £5.
    That all works out at around €10 for a month. I have a UK box bought from eBay and also have the Now TV app on my lg TVs which also have Saorview and FTA satellite
    If sky do decide to block my account I will happily go back to using kodi.

How do you set up the uk account?
    Does your ip address not give the game away?

How do you set up the uk account?
    Does your ip address not give the game away?

I just registered a uk address at the time. Make sure you are on the UK site .

I just registered a uk address at the time. Make sure you are on the UK site .

When you say you buy passes on ebay why would you need to cancel then?

• Advertisement

When you say you buy passes on ebay why would you need to cancel then?

Not going to cancel as long as I can use the UK service. Won't pay the paddy prices though if my account is shut down.

Not going to cancel as long as I can use the UK service. Won't pay the paddy prices though if my account is shut down.

But does buying a monthly pass on ebay mean that you don't have to cancel as it is for just 1 month?

Or do you have to cancel no matter what?

But does buying a monthly pass on ebay mean that you don't have to cancel as it is for just 1 month?

Or do you have to cancel no matter what?

If i don't buy a pass it will roll over into next month, which will be debited from my visa card. The eBay passes work out cheaper than paying now TV, and secondly I don't want a payment from an Irish visa card that might trigger a red flag on the account.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Pyro66 wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a BT Sports in Ireland in any way apart from through having the full blown Eir (or Vodafone??) subscription? In our house, we're just interested in the occasional rugby match. None of us are interested in Premiership soccer which is probably setting the ridiculous price for these sports packages.

You can pay ?25 per month for the Eir Sport pack on its own, but you'll need a satellite dish, Sky digibox and viewing card in order to make use of it.

There is talk about Sky Q in 2018 becoming an internet based service, which is hardware agnostic.

Perhaps the NOW TV pricing is being set artificially high to acclimatise us to the future pricing of this new potential SKY Q service, while limiting its use in order to test the fundamentals of running Internet TV in Ireland.

As ever, the the proof will be the pricing of any similar U.K. internet SKY Q service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

There is talk about Sky Q in 2018 becoming an internet based service, which is hardware agnostic.

Perhaps the NOW TV pricing is being set artificially high to acclimatise us to the future pricing of this new potential SKY Q service, while limiting its use in order to test the fundamentals of running Internet TV in Ireland.

As ever, the the proof will be the pricing of any similar U.K. internet SKY Q service.

I don't really know what Sky Q is (I've seen some ads I haven't paid attention to) but there is nothing fundamentally different about internet TV in Ireland. Yeah, the country doesn't have nationwide broadband so not everyone can use it but Netflix has operated for years without any special Irish operating expenses (they aren't even obliged to get IFCO ratings on their content.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They are talking about that alright, but at least at first, it's likely to be targeted at homes that can't get satellite TV - the apartment blocks and managed communities, places that have restricted covenants etc. At the moment Sky tries to serve these with Communal Sky, but it needs the management company's agreement to be installed and some management companies in the past had exclusive agreements with particular providers. A second group might be the "don't want a dish" crowd, a problem that always seemed bigger in the UK than here.

For Ireland, I think Sky Q via IP will probably be some way down the road. One particular issue that might be faced here that wouldn't be a factor in the UK is the terrestrial channels that are on Astra that can be tuned with a Sky satellite receiver. Obviously, they wouldn't be available with an IP system. At best deals might be done for the channels that have Irish EPG listing - the BBC and Channel 4, but most definitely not ITV. But I suspect many Irish Sky customers would continue to favour satellite delivery for that reason. Plus they haven't yet convinced me that they can deliver a picture and sound quality via IP equivilant to that offered on satellite - something very important to the sports package customers that are Sky's most valued customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Presumably it would only be available via IP if you get your broadband from Sky too; if Eir and Vodafone can manage it don't see why Sky couldn't too given TV services are their bread and butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Box will be available in stores on the 22nd. 2 SKU's available. €40 2 months free.

Is the app on xbox one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Signed up and downloaded TV Now player on to laptop as prompted, seems like the only way to watch on laptop. When i try to play something it plays at half speed and is jerky and impossible to understand. I wonder is anyone else having this issue?

I also use app on tablet, and it works fine. Tec support have been useless.

fisgon wrote: »
    Signed up and downloaded TV Now player on to laptop as prompted, seems like the only way to watch on laptop. When i try to play something it plays at half speed and is jerky and impossible to understand. I wonder is anyone else having this issue?

I also use app on tablet, and it works fine. Tec support have been useless.

Paying so much more in Ireland when compared with the UK, combined with the artificially imposed limitations of not being able to use selected streaming boxes in Ireland, makes the Irish NOW TV Service very poor.

• Advertisement

Are the monthly passes sold on a calendar monthly basis or from whenever you sign up and you then get a month?

Are the monthly passes sold on a calendar monthly basis or from whenever you sign up and you then get a month?

From the day you activate them

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knealecat

If I buy a pass from eBay uk will it work on Ireland now tv

knealecat wrote: »
    If I buy a pass from eBay uk will it work on Ireland now tv

No, not on an Irish account.

It is perverse that the Sky Senior Manager defending NOW TV's appalling and extortionate pricing for Ireland includes 'Customer Insight' as one of their skills (according to LinkedIn).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BritAbroad

Hey Guys,

So, I had a NowTV subscription since I was living in the UK. It worked fine when we moved to Ireland, been using it for the last 6 months no issue.

Yesterday, I went to use it and found it geoblocked. This timing seems to have coincided with the launch of NowTV in Ireland at an extortionate price.

Anyone else had a previous UK subscription now found they can't use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Ogogo

BritAbroad wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

So, I had a NowTV subscription since I was living in the UK. It worked fine when we moved to Ireland, been using it for the last 6 months no issue.

Yesterday, I went to use it and found it geoblocked. This timing seems to have coincided with the launch of NowTV in Ireland at an extortionate price.

Same here - Looks like we are back to rip off republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

BritAbroad wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Ogogo wrote: »
    Same here - Looks like we are back to rip off republic.

Are ye using a VPN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

For anyone interested in watching the Lions Tours on NOW TV with a Sky Sports pass - I just had an email in this morning to say that NOW TV have an offer of £15pm for this very reason in the UK, so I contacted them and asked if a similar offer will be available to Irish customers and have been informed that there will be an offer available from either later today or tomorrow to purchase a Sky Sports months pass for €25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

For anyone interested in watching the Lions Tours on NOW TV with a Sky Sports pass - I just had an email in this morning to say that NOW TV have an offer of £15pm for this very reason in the UK, so I contacted them and asked if a similar offer will be available to Irish customers and have been informed that there will be an offer available from either later today or tomorrow to purchase a Sky Sports months pass for €25

Wow, that's some Paddy Tax :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fungie

It's 25 euro for a month for all of June. Wish I could chrome cast. Does anybody know the quality of the stream? I plan on using sky now for the Lions and HDMI'ing to tv.

As the live stream still works on my now TV box I'm going to take a punt on the £15 offer for sky sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

As the live stream still works on my now TV box I'm going to take a punt on the £15 offer for sky sports

Good point!

Dave..M wrote: »
    Good point!

Bought it, and the sports is working fine. They may shut it down but its only £15 for a month so I don't mind if they do. I know the risk is there. Im just finished teaching for the summer so will get plenty of time for the rugby and some golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

How do you actually register and sign up? Ive scoured the site and all i can see is log in for existing members?:confused:

It is a very poor and if one could say so insulting offer from Sky to date. For sports they want people to pay €50 p/m even though you cannot chromecast and the streams are not in HD.

If they were hoping to draw people away from illegal streams their efforts so far will make no difference.

Maybe they are in fear of people ending their sports subscriprions given that they are tied into a multi billion premier league deal. It is interesting to see that their tv advertising here thus far is directed at box sets only.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NKtile

Heads up for anyone thinking of going with NOW TV . Bought monthly pass to use on Mac for the Lions Tour. All i got was issues, black screen, problems with their Player etc. Advise from Customer Service was basically re-install it, clear history , over and over, even if I told them i had already followed the exact same instructions! Eventually they said they had lots of problems, but service was new in Ireland, so bear with us!

I'll let them sort their issues in their own time, and not when I'm paying. Sadly doesn't seem for for purpose currently. Cancelled my subscription and in current offering, couldn't reccomend at all. Couldn't watch tv. Could hear it though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fungie

NKtile wrote: »
    Heads up for anyone thinking of going with NOW TV . Bought monthly pass to use on Mac for the Lions Tour. All i got was issues, black screen, problems with their Player etc. Advise from Customer Service was basically re-install it, clear history , over and over, even if I told them i had already followed the exact same instructions! Eventually they said they had lots of problems, but service was new in Ireland, so bear with us!

I'll let them sort their issues in their own time, and not when I'm paying. Sadly doesn't seem for for purpose currently. Cancelled my subscription and in current offering, couldn't reccomend at all. Couldn't watch tv. Could hear it though! :)

Was thinking of buying sky sports for the next month for this exact reason. Might just hold off and stream from somewhere else (where I can get full HD streams).

Just saw the 'NOW TV Ireland' ad on TV.

Perhaps they should rename the brand as 'NO TV Ireland'.

Unlike their UK service, you really cannot watch their Ireland TV service on an actual television, unless you are prepared to go out and buy another (their own) streaming box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kevin2800

Hi there i need to buy a second now tv box for my uncle but it doesnt seem to let me saying card was used already to redeem offer .Were can i buy an irish box beside nowtv website?

A friend has just been geo-blocked by NOW TV UK. I imagine that Sky Ireland are rubbing their hands and smiling about now charging him for a special streaming box and asking him to pay a lot more than the UK for a similar service.

But wait, he has decided to buy Amazon Prime Video instead.

So, Sky Ireland, here is what happens when you bully Ireland into paying a lot more for a stupidly priced service requiring extra hardware. We go elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Wow. I was thinking of signing up to this (Game of Thrones coming up), but glad i read through this thread first. The pricing is disgraceful, and they don't seem to have worked on/care about the issues people have connecting.

Achasanai wrote: »
    Wow. I was thinking of signing up to this (Game of Thrones coming up), but glad i read through this thread first. The pricing is disgraceful, and they don't seem to have worked on/care about the issues people have connecting.

Ann-Marie Mackay, Sky Marketing said 'What we do is we look at the market and decide on the pricing based on what would make sense here, and €15 is absolutely good value..." (Irish Times).

Really Ann-Marie? Compared to the UK £6.99 for TV or £9.99 for movies?

Please take a look at the comparable Amazon Prime Video and Netflix pricing in the UK and Ireland.

Ms Mackay be honest and say what we are all probably thinking, which is Sky has chosen to profiteer this small country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

But wait, he has decided to buy Amazon Prime Video instead.

So, Sky Ireland, here is what happens when you bully Ireland into paying a lot more for a stupidly priced service requiring extra hardware. We go elsewhere.

Prime video isn't available here afaik.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Tyson Fury wrote: »

I have it !

• Advertisement

I believe it is...
    www.primevideo.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

It is, but it's a weird service, to be honest. Not a huge selection, but there's a good introductory price (I think around 2.99 a month for 3 or 6 months or something) in which time you'll be able to watch all you will need in terms of what they have to offer. There was also the odd situation where they hadn't released season 2 of The Man in The High Castle to their Irish viewers despite it being an Amazon show (open to correction on this one, but it was unavailable to view for me until recently).

The Now TV pricing thing is a joke, though. Even if they could explain the price rise/gouge in terms of different tax/VAT on products (although Netflix seem to be able to offer the same service for reasonably comparable prices in the two countries).

I think most people want to pay a fair price for quality tv shows rather than all the hassle/potential issues that come with illegal streaming and torrents, but 15 euro a month for a service that is offered elsewhere at half that isn't going to cut it.

I think it says it all that the Sky forum here have a sticky on Now TV where their reply is that Now has nothing to do with Sky (despite it being launched by a Sky employee).

Achasanai wrote: »
    It is, but it's a weird service, to be honest. Not a huge selection, but there's a good introductory price (I think around 2.99 a month for 3 or 6 months or something) in which time you'll be able to watch all you will need in terms of what they have to offer. There was also the odd situation where they hadn't released season 2 of The Man in The High Castle to their Irish viewers despite it being an Amazon show (open to correction on this one, but it was unavailable to view for me until recently).

The Now TV pricing thing is a joke, though. Even if they could explain the price rise/gouge in terms of different tax/VAT on products (although Netflix seem to be able to offer the same service for reasonably comparable prices in the two countries).

I think most people want to pay a fair price for quality tv shows rather than all the hassle/potential issues that come with illegal streaming and torrents, but 15 euro a month for a service that is offered elsewhere at half that isn't going to cut it.

I think it says it all that the Sky forum here have a sticky on Now TV where their reply is that Now has nothing to do with Sky (despite it being launched by a Sky employee).

Yes it is strange re: Now TV and SKY, especially when the person announcing gives her job title as '

'Ann-Marie MacKay, director of products and marketing for Sky and Now TV in Ireland' (Irish Times)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I believe it is...
    www.primevideo.com

Yeah but it's nothing like the service you get in the UK

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Ann-Marie Mackay, Sky Marketing said 'What we do is we look at the market and decide on the pricing based on what would make sense here, and €15 is absolutely good value..." (Irish Times).

Really Ann-Marie? Compared to the UK £6.99 for TV or £9.99 for movies?

Please take a look at the comparable Amazon Prime Video and Netflix pricing in the UK and Ireland.

Ms Mackay be honest and say what we are all probably thinking, which is Sky has chosen to profiteer this small country.

Well I guess if people don't buy it they'll realise that the pricing doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement