Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky's Now TV confirmed to launch in Ireland

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Irritating that this is "powered by Roku" and clearly is a Roku box, but my roku 3 doesn't seem to have a now tv app. Ah well in light of the price differential i wouldn't have bought it regardless.

The availability of torrents etc. means these types of service rely to some extent on people "doing the right thing" and paying for content even though they know they could source it elsewhere. If Netflix tried to charge me twice what they charge in the UK i would probably drop my subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jdk01

Fian wrote: »
    Irritating that this is "powered by Roku" and clearly is a Roku box, but my roku 3 doesn't seem to have a now tv app. Ah well in light of the price differential i wouldn't have bought it regardless.

The availability of torrents etc. means these types of service rely to some extent on people "doing the right thing" and paying for content even though they know they could source it elsewhere. If Netflix tried to charge me twice what they charge in the UK i would probably drop my subscription.

Commercial organisations dream of achieving brand quality and loyalty. I think it is reasonable to suggest that NOW TV achieved this in the UK, only to throw it all away in Ireland by pursuing greed and treating us with disrespect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

So, I'm not shilling here, but just eat are doing a free entertainment pass promo with Now TV for the month of July.

I tried for the laugh to log into now tv with my sky credentials. To my surprise, they worked. I think there's a data protection issue here, but whatever :)

I wonder is there a way to use the promo code, without agreeing to a recurring charge? The site is awful, I couldn't figure it out at all :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Anyone else finding the NowTv app on desktop is stuttering? Previously Sky had outstanding streaming quality but this is a pile of crap. It's also making my MacBook fan run very loud. My broadband is Virgin so have good bandwidth.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Anyone else finding the NowTv app on desktop is stuttering? Previously Sky had outstanding streaming quality but this is a pile of crap. It's also making my MacBook fan run very loud. My broadband is Virgin so have good bandwidth.

Isn't it sad that after removing third-party streaming options from their Ireland service while charging considerably more money, NOW TV cannot even deliver to the desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

jdk01 wrote: »
    Isn't it sad that after removing third-party streaming options from their Ireland service while charging considerably more money, NOW TV cannot even deliver to the desktop.

Yeah

I use the UK service so can still stream via Apple TV which seems ok but not as high res as it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Does anyone have the full list of channels on the Irish options, or is it just the headline 10 pay ones? Serious PIA that it doesn't support Chromecast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

marcbrophy wrote: »
    So, I'm not shilling here, but just eat are doing a free entertainment pass promo with Now TV for the month of July.

I tried for the laugh to log into now tv with my sky credentials. To my surprise, they worked. I think there's a data protection issue here, but whatever :)

I wonder is there a way to use the promo code, without agreeing to a recurring charge? The site is awful, I couldn't figure it out at all :mad:

You can cancel the recurring charge immediately after signing up. I did with my free trial because I knew I wasn't going to use it at its ripoff price. (And I won't without proper app support either. I don't want another device connected to my TV.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Ann_Landers

I signed up for the free trial to catch the last seven episodes of Mad Men as they are not on Netflix. The episodes are on Now TV but sadly buffering like crazy. Everything I find on how to fix this are to do with the Now TV box. I'm just watching it on my laptop, I don't have a box. Anyone else experience this problem and manage to fix it? The episodes are there, I can practically touch them... but I cannot watch them, alas.

Thanks!

€50 for Sports (temporarily discounted to €25)?

The UK is £33 = €37.

Another example of NOW TV's disgraceful and disrespectful profiteering from Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Just got this, any idea how to make the quality a bit better. It's hideous at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Just got this, any idea how to make the quality a bit better. It's hideous at the moment.

The only way to get an improvement is to badger them and keep badgering them. I'm presuming your BB is decent.

Yeah. It's fine. The PS4 app is a joke too. You have to close it and open it anytime you want to watch something else. Terrible service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Their bitrate/resolution isn't as high as Netflix's.

Occono wrote: »
    Their bitrate/resolution isn't as high as Netflix's.

On the PS4 app which is the same network as my PC the quality is fine, just the app is a broken mess of crap. The PC version is like 2005 youtube.

There's zero chance of me paying for it after the trial.

Advertisement