Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUF 25: Redemption *Spoilers within*

• 19-04-2017 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭

TUF 25 discussion here. No need for spoiler tags in this thread.

New series kicking off tonight and I for one am really looking forward to it, not just because of the beef between the coaches but there are some very entertaining fighters vying for a second shot at UFC glory. Ramsey Nijem was always a favourite of mine. He hasn't fought since being cut nearly 2 years ago so will be interesting to see how he gets on.

I know its become hit and miss in the last few years but I have hope for this series of TUF.

Anyone else gonna give it a chance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

John_D80 wrote: »
    TUF 25 discussion here. No need for spoiler tags in this thread.

New series kicking off tonight and I for one am really looking forward to it, not just because of the beef between the coaches but there are some very entertaining fighters vying for a second shot at UFC glory. Ramsey Nijem was always a favourite of mine. He hasn't fought since being cut nearly 2 years ago so will be interesting to see how he gets on.

I know its become hit and miss in the last few years but I have hope for this series of TUF.

Anyone else gonna give it a chance?

I'll Be having a looksie

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

I'm a bit sick of TUF but this season should be good, having said that I'll probably just watch the clips that go viral.

Hopefully we get to here those famous words again

"Let me bang bro!!"

"I did let you bang.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Is this shown on Irish tv at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

BOHtox wrote: »
    Is this shown on Irish tv at all?

Only on BT Sports as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭cletus

Is it on fight pass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Good first episode.

Cody doesn't seem like he's going to be a very good coach to me. He's not the smartest guy around . Not a lot of instructions coming from his corner during the 1st fight.

Glad Gilbert went through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Doesn't bode well for Cody that his first pick was pretty much dominated by TJ's last pick. Just taking one look at the teams, it looks like it could be a one-sided season in favour of Dillashaw. I'll go for Stevenson to win it out purely for his experience, but Eddie Gordon might go close. He's the only guy on Cody's team that has a chance IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Really enjoyed first episode. Not a fan of everyone having a sob story. That'd be my only criticism. Still can't decide who's side I'm on between the coaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,916 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cody & TJ really come across as children with their oversized vests and playground insults. The choke was hillarious though. Even TJ explaining to Krause about his fight, hands in the pocket, looked like a little kid giving someone bad news. Still, I like the drama between the 2, I'd love to see Faber have a go at Bang :)

As for the fighters, awful to watch Hector cut weight, not a great start for someone maybe new to the sport wondering wtf is going on. Gilbert is a gas man talking **** to the boys playing pool and then in the gym. His grunts and "HARD WORK" chants during the gnp was a bit cringey though.

I like how they all get 10k a fight and negotiated a 5k finishing bonus.

Hopefully Big Daddy does the business but he's very small in that group. He's done a great job as fight coordinator on the MMA tv show Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

How dumb was it that Cody asked all the fighters what their strengths & weaknesses are before they even picked teams

• Advertisement

Only just got round to watching it now. Good start to the season.

I like Tom Gallichio but I have a feeling he will be absolutely steam rolled when he gets in there with Eddie Gordon. Gordon usually fights at middleweight and Gallichio usually fights at LW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 NoelJRyan

Cody to bring out McGregor as a guest coach just to piss TJ off would be tv gold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Enjoyed that more than I thought I would. Really enjoy Ramsey Nijem so I hope he does well in this.

Sob stories are annoying but there was some pretty good drama. Watching Urbina try to make weight was more tense than it probably should have been.

Cody's instructions during the fight were piss poor. Very little help from him. Think he's going to be a bad coach but if he helps fuel some fire for the Dillashaw fight, I don't really care.

Those grunts and shouts of "hard work" were a bit... eh... yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Enjoyed that. I think it's between Ramsey and Krause with Gordon and Edwards being my outside picks. Medhi too
    Can't believe Hector was so overweight
    The guy who lost is a dick so I'm happy he lost. Not sure what the crack is with spoilers so no names

smilerf wrote: »
    Not sure what the crack is with spoilers so no names

There is no need for spoiler tags in the specific TUF threads like this one.

Spoiler tags must be added for 48hrs after air time when discussing TUF in other threads only.

No spoilers on future episodes though as TUF tends to have leaks, people on the inside posting spoilers on future fights (as they're already recorded).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Lowest ratings ever for Ep 1 of TUF. Something like 288,000 views, 100k less than the previous low.

Doesn't bode well for Cody being much of a PPV draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Magown3

Have to say it. Cody comes across as a complete scumbag that has zero control.
    Listened to Fighter and the Kid podcast with TJ on it and he was actually a little bit likeable.
    Strangely and against what I originally thought, I find myself rooting for TJ in this one.

When I say scumbag I mean absolute white trash scumbag. Dropped a tonne in my estimation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

TJ absolutely sizzled Cody on Matt Serra's podcast UFC unfiltered. Cody asked him to pick a charity for when he sells the supposed TJ knock out video.

TJ respond "The charity should be something for kids without fathers so they don't grow up to act like Cody." (at 29:42 of UFC Unfiltered)

Another good one would have been tattoo removal charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Didn't realise this started back. Thanks op

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Look forward to no love putting tj to sleep.

Hate sly people. Loyalty is hard to find

ricero wrote: »
    Look forward to no love putting tj to sleep.

Hate sly people. Loyalty is hard to find

Dont know if TJ is sly. He seems to have been up front about his wishes with Faber and Faber was very demanding with him. He was doing half his camp with TAM and have up in Denver but Faber seems to have said "You are either always with us or not" or something along those lines. TJ and Mendes are still good friends so I dont think its all TJs fault and Cody is a furking scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Another loss for Cody.
    The coach giving out to Gordon in the changing room after the fight is a dick.
    The guy just blew probably his last chance at the UFC. Give him a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Man i hated tj coming into this but im starting to root for him. His talk with faber was good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Cant stand most of Team Alpha Male

xtal191 wrote: »
    Cant stand most of Team Alpha Male

I agree they annoy the feck out of me but I can't help but like Faber normally.

I agree they annoy the feck out of me but I can't help but like Faber normally.

Fabers a top bloke and because of that i dont think hes lying about the whole tj story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Whatever way this season ends is inconsequential. The Cody who beat Dom Cruz will murder TJ Sneakashaw.

Cody vs Cruz is the single most impressive display of any UFC title Challenger of all time.

Up until then Curz was being talked about as one of the all time GOAT's.

In his title win Cody made the man who everyone said had the best movement ever look like a bum.

He could have also finished him several times if he wasn't trying to embarrass Cruz.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Whatever way this season ends is inconsequential. The Cody who beat Dom Cruz will murder TJ Sneakashaw.

Cody vs Cruz is the single most impressive display of any UFC title Challenger of all time.

In his title win Cody made the man who everyone said had the best movement ever look like a bum.

He could have also finished him several times if he wasn't trying to embarrass Cruz.

Not sure about that. Dom didn't seem to be himself that night, Cody was magnificent but I'd like to see a rematch at some point.

For me there's notehing between Dom, TJ and Cody, and that's assuming Cody can consistently perform like he did at 207.

I agree that if he can keep to that level of performance there's no one at 135 to beat him, but I'd like to see him repeat it at least once before deciding that's his level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Wasn't a big fan of TJ coming into this season, but find myself rooting for him after 2 episodes. Cody had a phenomenal performance against Dom that I was positive would have went the other way, but it's almost too easy to dislike him.

Good results for TJ's team so far - looks like his game plans are outperforming so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just watched ep2 last night. Is TJ lying about the whole history right to Faber's face? Its all a bit weird.

Anyway, those shenanigans dragged on a bit so I fast forwarded to the fight. Glad the goofy guy won, not enough hairy shouldered fighters on the roster. Gordon has always been very one dimensional. TJ playing his tactics right, Cody on the other hand doesn't come across as very bright at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Absolute borefest of a fight last night. Clearly that finish bonus that Ramsey negotiated didn't mean sh1t to Jesse Taylor. TUF brings out the absolute worst side of so many MMA fighters, they're too desperate to win that they're terrified of taking risks to impress the UFC.

Mehdi is absolutely awful though to be fair, looked to have given up after being taken down in the second round. Next week's fight looks much better on paper at least.

Also, Cody has gone so far down in my estimation since the start of the season. He comes across as a bit of an idiot at the best of times. Just look at the fighters he picked, there could be a whitewash on the cards at this rate, TJ has already taken out Cody's top 3 picks with his second, sixth and seventh selections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

Taylor has no chin left at all by the looks, he got marginally clipped and he was staggered. I expect to see him get starched against someone better. He is too happy to go to his go to wrestling and thats really all he has now so even if he does mechanic through TUF its going to be tough sledding for him in the ufc. But getting there will be so sweet id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

You could argue Tj Dillashaw's own title challenge against Barao was one of the most impressive displays of a title challenger also. Barao had won 32 fights in a row and was talked up as the pound for pound best fighter in the UFC at the time. TJ absolutely schooled him for 5 rounds before finishing him. His fight vs Cody on paper is the fight of the year imo and will be very close.

Hoki wrote: »
    You could argue Tj Dillashaw's own title challenge against Barao was one of the most impressive displays of a title challenger also. Barao had won 32 fights in a row and was talked up as the pound for pound best fighter in the UFC at the time. TJ absolutely schooled him for 5 rounds before finishing him. His fight vs Cody on paper is the fight of the year imo and will be very close.

I have nothing to back this up its just my opinion but I think that TJ will beat Cody handily enough. I think TJ beat Cruz in the first fight and I doubt if Cody can repeat his previous performance against Cruz (Cruz wasn't his normal self also). I am a fan of TJ and I really dont like Cody so maybe I am biased. Cant wait for the fight either way, War TJ.

If there is one thing I know so far its that TJ is a way better coach than Cody.

• Advertisement

I have nothing to back this up its just my opinion but I think that TJ will beat Cody handily enough. I think TJ beat Cruz in the first fight and I doubt if Cody can repeat his previous performance against Cruz (Cruz wasn't his normal self also). I am a fan of TJ and I really dont like Cody so maybe I am biased. Cant wait for the fight either way, War TJ.

If there is one thing I know so far its that TJ is a way better coach than Cody.

Too much pressure on TJ imo. Think he will crumble and no love will get the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Watched episode 3 last night - is it strange the Cody never corners his fighters? Or is it just that he's confident that his coaches are better placed than him for cornering? Don't get me wrong, if his frustrated shouting from the sidelines are anything to go by he'd likely do more harm than good in the corner but it seems like a strange choice.

TJ seems the opposite - calm, level headed and good for relevant advice between rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

"Hanging with the boooooooooooooooyyyyyyyysssssssss"
    I absolutely loathe Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

I couldn't stand TJ before watching this. Now in rooting for him. Cody comes across as braindead and doesn't know what to say to his fighters. TJ seems like a great coach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Ah lads the poems were gas, loving this season... JT hasn't a brain in his head but is so watchable

• Advertisement

KJ wrote: »
    "Hanging with the boooooooooooooooyyyyyyyysssssssss"
    I absolutely loathe Cody.

Ah felt bad for him with that. He said he wasn't a big drinker and the boooooyyyyyssss got him wrecked knowing well. I'd say he was puking all night.

Krause looked shyte in the fight, didn't look like a UFC fighter at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭cletus

Are people even watching this any more? Poor enough season, poor fight this episode. Didn't think it was an early stoppage though.

Not gonna even get into the Alpha male antics, it's fully stupid at this stage.

Looking forward to Joe Daddy next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Haven't watched much of this season but watched that last episode, pretty funny to see Cody giving it the Billy big bollox when it turns out he's actually been the one to pull out of the fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Not sure I can trust TJ but he's coming across a LOT better than Cody in all of this. The TAM v Duane yarn is really old at this stage so I just skip forward when it's about to kick off.

That fight wasn't great. Not sure how Lane didn't finish at least one of those guillotines - managed to kill his own arms in the process. The mouth guard bit was weird but his was just about to get choked out so he can't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Magown3

Cody looks like an unhinged roid-raging monster with zero self control.

He always has actually... And TJ is right, it's embarrassing for him. I liked Cody before this but would love to see him get his ass handed to him.

Having a go at the ref. Shouting that the other fighter is tapping. Dick-move!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Magown3 wrote: »
    Cody looks like an unhinged roid-raging monster with zero self control.

He always has actually... And TJ is right, it's embarrassing for him. I liked Cody before this but would love to see him get his ass handed to him.

Having a go at the ref. Shouting that the other fighter is tapping. Dick-move!

i didnt get the shouting that nijem was tapping, at one stage lane even backed off a bit as if he tought it was a tap but it wasn`t, real head scratching stuff.

the team alpha male stuff is stoopid, they are like a bunch of kids.

See there is a special episode tonight but can't find out what's so special about it. Is Joe Daddy on tonight or Wednesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think we're at the stage now where Cody is right up there alongside Rampage as all time worst TUF coach.

Man, he is absolutely pathetic.

Tom Gallichio is doing really well.

I thought he was finished for sure in the first quarter final when he got tagged but he did really well to turn it around.

Great win for him. Shame to see Joe go out like that in the other fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

John_D80 wrote: »
    Tom Gallichio is doing really well.

Yep. He doesn't really get the respect he perhaps deserves but he is legit on the ground. I think he has 15 or 16 wins via submission.

Tom is such a nice guy too. Really happy he has at least racked up a couple of wins this series and banked some much needed cash.

Hopefully he will get a slot on the Finale regardless of what happens and fulfill his dream of fighting on a UFC card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement