Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can we stop warning people about checkpoints?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I like flashing in my car
    ..........Once I flashed a Jaguar

Did it growl back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Graces7 wrote: »
    Good for you and well done.I mean that sincerely.

What I meant was that as I almost never drive on eg motorways , I rarely come across this.

If I see someone clearly drink driving I call the Gardai; advantage of rural living is that you get to know who and where etc. Gardai rarely take any heed though.

So many repeat offenders on Garda twitter. So clearly not many acting as responsibly as you are..

You're not really making any sense regarding the topic of warning people approaching checkpoints. I now have no idea whether you're for or against the idea. I think we'll leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Melodeon

That's Madness if you ask me!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Typical example of ass hat driving - including mine as the red mist came down on the M9 there. Friday evening, clear road so boot was down. Now if I get done I get done, that's my problem. Unless you're in the town centre on a Friday night stopping litter or helping people too drunk to get home you've absolutely no business 'policing' the motorways.

To be fair it was only three dickheads (four if you count me I suppose) on a 180Km journey (I'm not counting the M50 or Kildare they're lost causes) but it was quiet and they made up for their quantity with the absolute quality of arseholery.

Arsehole 1: In the outside lane doing about 130KMH completely clear motorway for, probably, miles - I move over and come up behind him at a safe distance, no dice, move up a bit more and flash - not aggressively - just a quick flash, maybe he's engrossed in watching something on the iPad or reading a book and doesn't realise I'm there. Continues to be a dick and hog the outside lane. No doubt thinking 'I'm the the Fast lane doing just over the speed limit'. Right fine, feck all on the motorway so I pull back in to go around the inside. This is over a space of a few KMs so we're talking minutes here not seconds. Arsehole speeds up. Now you can argue that we're both cocks, but I'm sorry that sort of pissing about is more dangerous than someone making progress at 140KPH. I admit to once getting passed him some revenge, my bad need to calm down.

Arsehole 2: Rangerover, doing pretty much the same thing but this time there was a car off in the distance, and by distance a distance any normal driver would have pulled back in for, and I should have waited a bit longer. So mea culpa, eventually pulled back in once I was passed, he passes me stays in the outside lane and slows down. WTF? Ended up going past that moron on the inside purely because I was going faster.

Arsehole 3 (possibly) I'm assuming here. Outside lane again on a completely clear motorway. I've pulled out quite a way back and moving up. No reaction, very quick flash again, perhaps they're texting something important wondering whats for dinner or what have you. Pulls in speeds up, I pass, pull in and I get flashed as if to say why are you pulling in if you're going that fast. BECAUSE THE LEFT LANE IS FOR DRIVING YOU FECKING MORON.

Now I completely and freely admit to speeding and reacting poorly to dickheads. But to make this not completely OT, this is why I warn people about check points. The lad/lass with the boot down is generally the one paying attention where was the bimblers are usually the ones who cause accidents. I'm all for speeding being penalised once two other things happen - people realise that the motorway if fro making progress and lane hogging is 3 points and a €120 fine, except on the M50 where it should simply be the death penalty. The powers that be stop with this speed kills propaganda, and start focusing on people not paying attention/not knowing the rules of he road. They'll save way more lives that way than getting people doing a few extra KPH on the motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

seamus wrote: »
    The hypocrisy of people on this kind of stuff always makes me laugh.

Accountants using loopholes to legally avoid paying tax - Bastards! Should be strung up by their balls!

Motorists flashing other motorists to warn about checkpoints - Doing a good public service.

Whistleblower giving evidence to an Oireachtas committee about how he tried to stick to the rules and alert when other weren't - National hero

Garda doing you for being 10km/h over the limit - Just an aul prick.

We want everyone else to play rigidly by the rules but get indignant at anyone who suggests we should do the same. No, I don't flash other motorists. Not my problem.
    And the self righteous attitude of many of those who follow the rules to the letter is a common theme across these threads. People act in their own self interest. For some, that means flashing other drivers to warn them of speed traps, for whatever reason. For others, it means not flashing. In the grand scheme of things, both behaviours are most likely highly insignificant. Certainly not worthy of any accusation of culpability. Or citizenship. Or a 20 page thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Heres one for you. This morning I was joining a dual carriageway/motorway. I use the / as the junction is almost literally on the line between the 2. Anyways I'm coming down the slip road speeding up to join the "big road" doing about 90 k as I hit the end of the slip road and low and behold there's a speed van. Now to be honest I never pay attention to speed when joining a motorway as I'm more concerned with matching my speed to the vehicles already on the road I'm trying to join. Is this not entrapment in its finest? I mean you're coming down the slip road looking in your mirror trying to merge more so than at the van tucked into the side waiting to take your wallet. Right at the change between a motorway and a dual carriageway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    You're not really making any sense regarding the topic of warning people approaching checkpoints. I now have no idea whether you're for or against the idea. I think we'll leave it there.

I am simply thinking it through carefully and responsibly from all angles. Your world and the roads so many of you live in and drive on is unfamiliar to me out here.

Almost all my driving is on rural lanes you see and no speed vans etc.

I can see both viewpoints though. As I said, so glad you took heed.

Will though continue to warn of critters ahead... and to take heed when folk flash lights at me.

Thank you!!;) And as I never ever break the speed limit? Or drink and drive or indeed drink at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

To answer your Q. Nothing wrong with warning someone when a money grab van is located right between a road switch from 80 to 60

Money grab van? Scarcely. After all, if it was a money grab, all the Garda Síochána would have to do is put a few garda cyclists round Dublin and other cities checking for mobile phone use (and smoking, and making-up, and reading books and magazines) at traffic lights; at €60 a catch they'd soon fund the country's new wind power island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Chuchote wrote: »
    Money grab van? Scarcely. After all, if it was a money grab, all the Garda Síochána would have to do is put a few garda cyclists round Dublin and other cities checking for mobile phone use (and smoking, and making-up, and reading books and magazines) at traffic lights; at €60 a catch they'd soon fund the country's new wind power island.

They do watch out from near the traffic lights in Limerick city.

Limerick city seemed to be on near lockdown with checkpoints last night. Does anyone have any idea why there might have been a good few in the city in the one night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

The receptionist in my office sends an email to all whenever there is a checkpoint or a speed trap near us.

That cant be allowed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Glenster wrote: »
    The receptionist in my office sends an email to all whenever there is a checkpoint or a speed trap near us.

That cant be allowed...
    WHY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Considering most of the speedvans and traffic corp doing popup speedtraps are in the most ridiculous spots, and areas that you are hard pushed NOT to think it's some racket I'm more then welcoming for a blink from a fellow driver.

There are well known death trap roads and corners around various areas where I live, where down the years there is crash after crash, death after death all attributed to speeding and I'm yet to see a Guarda with a speedgun or a speedvan there, ever.

Where as I do see them(not for a while mind you) at the Kinsealy traffic lights around a corner, where the speed limit fluctuates 20kmph, where people not familiar with the road will get caught of guard, and even reducing speed, will get flagged.

When these resources, and the traffic corp, actually appear like they are utilising and mobilising to safe lives, and not just hit statistic quotas and generate $$$ for the coffers, maybe people will be less inclined to try help people out about them. I'm not part of the tinfoil hat brigade that believes the whole thing is a racket, but it's hard to argue against people with that view, especially for me, when I look at the setup in the areas I know or have lived, and they are located in places where the only logic you arrive to is "well you will catch a fair few people out there", on what are typically safe roads where I can't remember a time a crash happened, and all they have is obscure jumps in the speed limit.

There is another lovely spot on the M1, and another road I use on my commute that I forget the name off. The M1 part goes from 120kmph to 80kmph, with no actual signposting that is obvious if travelling Southbound. And there is a part on a three lane N road I use where the limit goes 100kmph to 80 for about 200 yards, then back to 100kmph. They love having a speedvan setup right there catching people either risking it, or those not familiar with the road, where it would take a special type of brain to figure out why the limit drops 20kmph for a 200-300 yard stretch of road, with no merging lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'll flash anyone that I think is within my 90-120% threshold.
    Anyone else is either going too slow or too fast for a heads up.

Quazzie wrote: »
    WHY?

Just seems against the spirit of the thing.

They're there to catch uninsured drivers or dangerous drivers.

• Advertisement

Just seems against the spirit of the thing.

They're there to catch uninsured drivers or dangerous drivers.
    Have you any uninsured drivers or dangerous drivers where you work?

Have you any uninsured drivers or dangerous drivers where you work?

I don't know.

I don't know.
    Because it's none of your business. Maybe apply that philosophy to the emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Ireland has an odd attitude to driving/speeding/insurance. All them things are oddly expensive in Ireland. Not so much everywhere else. It's driving ffs, not gang-banging. Why the whole "Police focus"?

There's a fair amount of police focus in other countries. I know an awfully-awfully village near Paris where les flics hover near a stop sign to pounce if anyone sets a tyre across it without stopping totally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

hytrogen wrote: »
    I'm driving around in my car
    I'm driving too fast
    I'm driving too far
    I'd like to change my point of view
    I feel so lonely
    I'm waiting for you
    But nothing ever happens and I wonder

I wonder how
    I wonder why
    Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue blue sky
    And all that I can see is just a yellow lemon-tree
    I'm turning my head up and down
    I'm turning turning turning turning turning around
    And all that I can see is just another lemon-tree
    Thanks. Now that bloody song is on my head for the night

Why should you warn people about checkpoints designed to catch people who are breaking the law? If they're not breaking the law, they don't need a warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

Got 'caught' last week in Cork.
    On the tivoli dual carriage way.
    There is a merging of lanes ahead at the end of the dual carriageway near Silversprings Hotel.
    The limit goes from 100kp to 60kph in the space of about 50 metres. There are no white warning signs about the change.

Guess who is waiting at the merge point? I'm in the process of slowing down to merge but got clocked at 87kph.

Like shooting fish in a fcking barrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Graces7 wrote: »
    I am simply thinking it through carefully and responsibly from all angles. Your world and the roads so many of you live in and drive on is unfamiliar to me out here.

Almost all my driving is on rural lanes you see and no speed vans etc.

I can see both viewpoints though. As I said, so glad you took heed.

Will though continue to warn of critters ahead... and to take heed when folk flash lights at me.

Thank you!!;) And as I never ever break the speed limit? Or drink and drive or indeed drink at all..

Are you 85?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was talking to a Swed last week, he has been coming to Ireland on business for decades and says we've gotten awful on the roads. "The sign says 100kph, why are they doing 70kph? There is a hard shoulder but they won't use it to let cars past??"

All the people doing 70kph on a main road would be done for it in other European countries.

Speed vans are notoriously 'sneaky' in the way they operate. Rarely ever on a stretch of road where exceeding the limit would be dangerous.

I've seen speed vans hidden behind bushes on straight stretches, at the bottom of steep hills, etc. in the kinda places you would expect to see them in a comedy sketch show. They're far too underhanded in their approach.

So I warn everyone, over and over again, if i see a speed van. I will flash anyone and everyone, regardless of whether they're driving slow or fast and I especially make an effort for commercial/truck drivers who spend all day on the road, know it like the back of their hands, and would possibly have points on their license for being a couple of km over the limit.

On the other hand, I never warn anyone of a checkpoint. Checkpoints generally have a worthy reason, are usually done in a fair manner and will generally not try to do you for something trivial. If your tax is out a week they'll wave you on and be sound enough. It's only when you're taking the piss that they seem to do you, which is very fair in my opinion.

It also helps them when looking for people. If I was after committing a crime and the Gardai knew i was in the area, i'd be very thankful of someone giving me a heads up about a checkpoint.

So in short, always flash others about speed vans, and never about checkpoints. :)

Why anyone wouldn't want to warn someone that a private company van is parked just up ahead to try and get money from someone maybe going 10kmh over the limit is baffling.

Checkpoints are different, no one should get a heads up at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I'm always grateful to anyone that flashes me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

ScumLord wrote: »
    I was talking to a Swed last week, he has been coming to Ireland on business for decades and says we've gotten awful on the roads. "The sign says 100kph, why are they doing 70kph? There is a hard shoulder but they won't use it to let cars past??"

All the people doing 70kph on a main road would be done for it in other European countries.

You should have said to him "go home Swede" :)

I see the British have sensibly started linking speeding fines to income.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/new-uk-speeding-fines-are-based-on-what-you-earn-1.3059372
    Drivers in the UK face speeding fines equivalent of 1½ times their weekly salary under new laws in place from Monday.
    Drivers caught at speeds excessively above legal limits face higher penalties in England and Wales. Under new guidelines for magistrates, fines for motorists caught doing 51mph (82kmh) in a 30mph (48kmh) zone or 101mph (163kmh) on a motorway will start from 150 per cent of their weekly income, rather than the previous level of 100 per cent.

• Advertisement

Because it's none of your business. Maybe apply that philosophy to the emails.

Drug dealing is none of my business.

But I don't think the lookout who warns them that the cops is coming is a stand up guy.

How would people feel about a cyclist who stood and waved at oncoming cyclists to warn them that there was a garda checkpoint on red lights ahead?

How would people feel about a cyclist who stood and waved at oncoming cyclists to warn them that there was a garda checkpoint on red lights ahead?

How is it different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

valoren wrote: »
    Got 'caught' last week in Cork.
    On the tivoli dual carriage way.
    There is a merging of lanes ahead at the end of the dual carriageway near Silversprings Hotel.
    The limit goes from 100kp to 60kph in the space of about 50 metres. There are no white warning signs about the change.

Guess who is waiting at the merge point? I'm in the process of slowing down to merge but got clocked at 87kph.

Like shooting fish in a fcking barrel.

Very popular spot for them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Chuchote wrote:
    I see the British have sensibly started linking speeding fines to income.

Is this for real?? 1 and a half times their weekly salary??? So a person earning 500 quid a week will be hit with a 750 euro fine if caught going 10kph over the limit?? Even for a person on the dole it will be in the region of 250/300 quid. Madness. Would never work. Masses of people just wouldn't be able to pay. 'Hmmm eat or face prison for evading a speeding fine.....free food in prison!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

dbagman wrote: »
    Is this for real?? 1 and a half times their weekly salary??? So a person earning 500 quid a week will be hit with a 750 euro fine if caught going 10kph over the limit?? Even for a person on the dole it will be in the region of 250/300 quid. Madness. Would never work. Masses of people just wouldn't be able to pay. 'Hmmm eat or face prison for evading a speeding fine.....free food in prison!'

Of course it will work. What you mean is that it's too punative.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    How is it different?

Tisn't.
    dbagman wrote: »

It'll work. People have the option of not speeding, though this will be a cultural shift.

The Gardaí are keeping a watching brief on this. If they bring it in too, hopefully they'll use the same policy for phone use in cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I've seen speed vans hidden behind bushes on straight stretches, at the bottom of steep hills, etc. in the kinda places you would expect to see them in a comedy sketch show. They're far too underhanded in their approach.

Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure the equipment in speed vans requires a level and straight road to work properly. If I recall, it works by firing a laser at the vehicle and calculating speed based on the return time and the Doppler effect. The laser also has to strike a relatively flat and reflective surface to allow for the reflection.

Also, any speed van I've ever seen has been in a place where there
    a) has been a serious or fatal collision nearby
    b) is a complex junction ahead
    c) has heavy traffic at high speed merging

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with people flashing for speed vans. As far as I'm concerned it accomplishes the goal of slowing down the traffic. But I do find the arguments against speed vans a little lacking based on what I know of how they operate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I saw someone warning about Gardai, Customs and Social Welfare checkpoint.

Do the Social Welfare be out stopping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Any time I see those speed camera signs, I think that it should be necessary for another sign to be attached to the same pole that says what the speed limit is for the section of road that is covered by the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Also, any speed van I've ever seen has been in a place where there a) has been a serious or fatal collision nearby b) is a complex junction ahead c) has heavy traffic at high speed merging

This post is the biggest load of nonsense i have ever read on boards.... And ive been in the conspiracy theory forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

jcd5971 wrote: »
    This post is the biggest load of nonsense i have ever read on boards.... And ive been in the conspiracy theory forum

You'd think you'd be able to conjure up a counter to it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

You'd think you'd be able to conjure up a counter to it so.

I have and so have others multiple times across the thread. Simply put i 100% don't believe your post is true. The 3 scenarios you outlined should be the criteria in selecting a speed trap but the reality is far far different

osarusan wrote: »
    Any time I see those speed camera signs, I think that it should be necessary for another sign to be attached to the same pole that says what the speed limit is for the section of road that is covered by the cameras.

I think the point of it is you should be aware of the speed limit at all times, not just around speed cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Tisn't.

It'll work. People have the option of not speeding, though this will be a cultural shift.

The Gardaí are keeping a watching brief on this. If they bring it in too, hopefully they'll use the same policy for phone use in cars.

The Gardai can keep all the watching briefs they want, they don't decide legislation.

Have the Ministers for Justice or Transport commented on it?
    Not sure any of the current Govt would be willing to try something so potentially divisive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure the equipment in speed vans requires a level and straight road to work properly. If I recall, it works by firing a laser at the vehicle and calculating speed based on the return time and the Doppler effect. The laser also has to strike a relatively flat and reflective surface to allow for the reflection.

Also, any speed van I've ever seen has been in a place where there
    c) has heavy traffic at high speed merging

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with people flashing for speed vans. As far as I'm concerned it accomplishes the goal of slowing down the traffic. But I do find the arguments against speed vans a little lacking based on what I know of how they operate.

Last van i encountered was M6 westbound, just after J13 at Athlone.
    It was after passing the merge for the last Athlone exit, but approx 50m before the limit returned to 120.
    The next junction you'll encounter is Ballinasloe.

Only reason for that location was to catch people accelerating 100m earlier than they should. Ordinarily I would agree with what you've said RE the locations, but that one stood out as pretty bloody cynical.

Btw, The amount of cars baking in front of me gave plenty of notice of it, so didn't need anyone to flash :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

I think the point of it is you should be aware of the speed limit at all times, not just around speed cameras.

Holier than thou much?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

"Also, any speed van I've ever seen has been in a place where there
    c) has heavy traffic at high speed merging"

I don't know what part of the country you are in Little CuChulainn but down our way any speed van I've ever seen has been in a place where there
    a) is a soft €80 to be rode out of passing motorists
    b) the speed limits in the area are inappropriatly low for the road design and signage.
    c) is a handy gap to pull in and hide

"Also, any speed van I've ever seen has been in a place where there
    c) has heavy traffic at high speed merging"

I don't know what part of the country you are in Little CuChulainn but down our way any speed van I've ever seen has been in a place where there
    a) is a soft €80 to be rode out of passing motorists
    b) the speed limits in the area are inappropriatly low for the road design and signage.
    c) is a handy gap to pull in and hide

Makes no odds. Drive the road, know the speed. Don't break the limit don't get caught speeding. Grand job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

KERSPLAT! wrote:
    Makes no odds. Drive the road, know the speed. Don't break the limit don't get caught speeding. Grand job.

I know a man renowned for being slow .... his wife would be a quick driver . She was making her way home from a walk one day . The husband ran to met her to give out about getting penalty points as the car was in his name . She told me the man never ran in his life .. As I said the man is a slow driver ...

2 weeks later he was caught speeding by a flash for cash van .

Point being breaking the speed can happen to the best of us even with good intentions....

What's happening these days your constantly concentration looking down at the speedo and looking out for vans on side of the road !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement