Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting by bike cuts cancer risks..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Does smoking a cigarette while cycling to work cancel each other out?

Apparently not, according to the study - or not, to the extent that smoking is taken into account in its figures. Though anyone who's stupid enough to enrich the corporations that make tobacco products… I'll stop there…

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

Chuchote wrote: »
    Apparently not, according to the study - or not, to the extent that smoking is taken into account in its figures. Though anyone who's stupid enough to enrich the corporations that make tobacco products… I'll stop there…

Most people probably won't know but smoking affects their breathing pattern. Hypoventilation which is the opposite of hyperventilation. Cycling can be very beneficial as a therapy and is great to cleanup your lungs during the quitting process. I broke the spell, cold turkey, and see it as one of my bigger achievements.

(Though anyone who's stupid enough to enrich the corporations that make diesel cars)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I'll try to get time to read it. It looks like a terrific bit of work, and, if public policies were really evidence-based (spoiler: they're not), a game-changer.

Just look at the chart if you don't have time to read it:

415644.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

03c4e4df516a8ed3737e346be21e0166.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Or don't want to!

I was just thinking the other day as I whizzed past a long line of cars in the PP, how many of those people were going to drive to a gym to do their workout when they could just get on a bike, get home quicker and exercise done for the day :)

Well if they will be using treadmill it will be superior mode of exercise. :p

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/apr/24/is-running-best-exercise-reduce-risk-heart-disease

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

There's a really good article in the most recent edition of Significance about the uses and misuses of p-values. David Spiegelhalter says he likes them.

I just had to tell someone.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Just look at the chart if you don't have time to read it:

Oh yeah, saw that. All my comments on the study are basically about that graph. But I do want to read the paper this week or next. The devil's in the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Yes but,increases your chance of death by impatient drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Actually, that's where the "all cause" mortality helps. You're at far higher risk of death by self sitting in your own car / on your own sofa than suffering at the wheels of another driver (P 0.002, which could even satisfy tomasrojo). Not to say that any on-road fatality is anything but tragic and serious.

Wouldn't it be great if we transformed the health of the nation by making cycling and walking feel much safer to our citizens?

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There's a really good article in the most recent edition of Significance about the uses and misuses of p-values. David Spiegelhalter says he likes them.

I just had to tell someone.
    Haven't read it but I presume it relates to P Hacking. Something that is unfortunately rife in some places. The desperation to get a noted result leads researchers to forget they were not asking that question therefore it is unlikely they have the data to answer it despite what they think.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Haven't read it but I presume it relates to P Hacking. Something that is unfortunately rife in some places. The desperation to get a noted result leads researchers to forget they were not asking that question therefore it is unlikely they have the data to answer it despite what they think.

Yeah, it was about that and a few other things. Was pretty interesting. Think this excerpt sort of sums it up:
    In short, p-values give a convoluted answer to a question of very restricted interest – so restricted, in fact, that it is easy to be tricked into thinking they must mean something more significant than they do.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1740-9713.2017.01021.x/full?hootPostID=b7eab0e3e07103ba7551e338d97963ef

I find that I read up what they actually do represent, understand it, and then five minutes later I've forgotten again.

This is a good quote too:
    the problem lies not so much with p-values in themselves as with the willingness of researchers to lurch casually from descriptions of data taken from poorly designed studies, to confident generalisable inferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

Anyway, I got a yellow card for posting that cycling might not be the mortality dodger that everyone thinks it is.

Don't apologize all at once. No really, it's ok...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/cycling-scary-and-hazardous-particularly-for-young-men-1.3110533

DrWu wrote: »
    Anyway, I got a yellow card for posting that cycling might not be the mortality dodger that everyone thinks it is.

Don't apologize all at once. No really, it's ok...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/cycling-scary-and-hazardous-particularly-for-young-men-1.3110533

MOD VOICE: You got a yellow card for trolling. I recommend you read the report and not the times article. i also recommend that you then also read the times article again. If you have an issue with a card, please PM me, do not discuss in thread and also read the forum charter and site rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

seanin4711 wrote: »

Pretty much why I stopped.

Nate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the lowest claimed benefit to health/risk ratio i've seen stated in other papers is 20 to 1 i think. and iirc, they would have bigger sample groups.
    which would imply that - if we're to take the above as accurate - that young irish males are 20 times more at risk - at least - than other cyclists.
    anyway, i'm not going to take all that much from an article about a paper which fails to provide a link to the paper.

Advertisement