Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Team of the Year 2017

• 20-04-2017 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭

aQ29Ly7.png

What do we think of the team?

Personally, I'd have Alderweireld in over Cahill, Rose scrapes ahead of Alonso albeit Alonso is purely attacking.

Thought Sanchez could be ahead of Haz/Mane too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd have went

Courtois
    Walker Luiz Azpilicueta Rose
    Hazard Kante Alli Sanchez
    Lukaku Kane

Honourable mentions to Lloris, Alderweirld, Cahill, Alonso, Eriksen, Mane, Ibra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Would have had Azpi in for Luiz and Sanchez in for Mane but most the rest of the team is probably right. Tight call for GK, hasn't been a standout GK this year imo and could have easily went to Courtois, Heaton or Lloris either

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I say this as a United fan, so I really don't have that much to go on in terms of other keeper's preformances...

...but I felt DDG has had a very quiet year this year. Have no other keepers preformed better? I love DDG, rank him as one of the best in the world, but I've felt this year as if we've toned back the sheer number of world class saves from him through better outfield play, so was kind of surprised to see him rank top for the season.

Would have had Sanchez above Mane too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sanchez has been missing in key moments for Arsenal not really scored many crucial goals.

Mane has been brillant against the top 6. Should have been in the POTY shortlist.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Sanchez has been missing in key moments for Arsenal not really scored many crucial goals.

Mane has been brillant against the top 6. Should have been in the POTY shortlist.

Sanchesz has been invovled in 10 more goals than Mane, only Lukaku has better stats.

I think Sanchez hasnt made the TOTY due him playing upfront for alot of the season.

Theres no way Mane should have dislodged Sanchez from the main POTY award.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think he has missed too many games for that. You can't go off to Africa for a month and miss the run in and expect to be contending for POTY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think you have to have a United defender in there as there defensive record is very good, I think De Gea is the wrong choice though, he hasn't been at his best this season so I'd have Valenica in who's had a very good season. My team would be,

Lloris
    Valencia Luiz Alderweireld Alonso
    Hazard Alli Kante Sanchez
    Lukaku Kane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Sanchez's exclusion is bizarre. I'd have him instead of Mané. Valencia, Alderweireld and Azpilicueta ahead of Walker, Cahill and Rose. In the list of defenders mentioned above you'll notice one very common trend though.

Heaton might have been my selection in the GK spot too actually. Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

4-4-2? Who the feck plays that? :D

• Advertisement

Or to put it another way Sanchez has been brilliant against twice as many teams in twice as many games. Over the season. Which is what the awards are about. :pac:

Thats why 4-4-2 sucks in a 4-3-3 Mane and Sanchez could both be selected, god knows what Lukaku is doing on that list, or Cahill.

Lloris
    Walker--Matip--Alderweireld-Rose
    Kante
    Hazard--Alli
    ---Mane---Kane--Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Johner wrote: »
    I think you have to have a United defender in there as there defensive record is very good, I think De Gea is the wrong choice though, he hasn't been at his best this season so I'd have Valenica in who's had a very good season. My team would be,

Lloris
    Valencia Luiz Alderweireld Alonso
    Hazard Alli Kante Sanchez
    Lukaku Kane

How in God's name can you not include Walker? He's been one of the best players in the league this year, not just the best right back.

Thats why 4-4-2 sucks in a 4-3-3 Mane and Sanchez could both be selected, god knows what Lukaku is doing on that list, or Cahill.

Lloris
    Kante
    Hazard--Alli
    ---Mane---Kane--Sanchez
    I'm here baffled as to whether you actually think Mané is more deserving of a place than Lukaku on this team or if I'm just missing a joke of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

CSF wrote: »
    I'm here baffled as to whether you actually think Mané is more deserving of a place than Lukaku on this team or if I'm just missing a joke of some kind.

Or Matip when they have worst defensive record in top 7 teams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everytime it seems that they will have a English lad if its any way close. It must have killed them putting Luiz in it. Id have Ibra ahead of Kane purely because hes been far more important, where would United have been without him. Id have Virgil Van Dijk ahead of Cahill. People complaining about Hazard making it when hes going to be Kantes closest challenger.

Lloris
    Kante
    Hazard--Alli
    ---Mane---Kane--Sanchez

Matip over Luiz, are you drunk sir

CSF wrote: »
    I'm here baffled as to whether you actually think Man? is more deserving of a place than Lukaku on this team or if I'm just missing a joke of some kind.

Lukaku is a passenger against the top teams, Mane is a match winner.
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Or Matip when they have worst defensive record in top 7 teams.

Matip with Lovren - DWWDWWDWDDWDWW, imagine him paired with a Spurs CB! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

god knows what Lukaku is doing on that list

You don't need to be a deity to know why the leagues top goalscorer and second highest assistor is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

irishman86 wrote: »
    Id have Ibra ahead of Kane purely because hes been far more important, where would United have been without him.

Outside the top four?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Matip with Lovren - DWWDWWDWDDWDWW, imagine him paired with a Spurs CB! :)

That's not how it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Alderweirald and Azpilicueta above Cahill, in that order. Not sure how he got in, tbh.

Sanchez probably unlucky to miss out, but he was poor for a few months since Jan.

On those questioning Mane, Liverpool couldn't score a goal without him when he went to the African Cup of Nations. He consistently performed and scored, especially against the top teams. His contribution per game played was enormous.

Was De Gea as good this year as in previous as well? Lloris or Courtois could well feel hard done by.

De Gea is in there for the Man Utd vote. Valencia or Bailly are probably better picks but that would mean dropping Luiz or Mane/Hazard in that stupid formation. It could end up like a Garth Crooks team of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Knex. wrote: »
    Alderweirald and Azpilicueta above Cahill, in that order. Not sure how he got in, tbh.

Sanchez probably unlucky to miss out, but he was poor for a few months since Jan.

On those questioning Mane, Liverpool couldn't score a goal without him when he went to the African Cup of Nations. He consistently performed and scored, especially against the top teams. His contribution per game played was enormous.

Was De Gea as good this year as in previous as well? Lloris or Courtois could well feel hard done by.

Because he's english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, here's Martin Keown talking about the process a few years ago
    I was the PFA representative at Arsenal for five years but gathering the players’ nominations for the awards was always a nightmare.

People were not interested, couldn’t be bothered to sit down and write out their nominations and I spent far too much time trying to pin people down. Out of a squad of 22, you’d do well to get half that number of nominations. It used to amaze me how uninterested a lot of the players were.

To get people interested, I would eventually write up a shortlist of players in each position on a whiteboard and try to get people to choose. In most cases though, I’d pick my team and a lot of the others would just copy it. For some, I filled out their forms for them and they’d just sign at the bottom.

Some of them didn’t like the fact they couldn’t vote for team-mates, while others would make sure they didn’t put in a rival for a place in the team of the year.

The English players took most interest because they had grown up following it. Last season there were six Englishmen in the team of the season, a surprising amount.

The same lack of interest applied to the awards evening. There were lots of players from outside the top flight there but not from the Premier League. Arsenal sent people when Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp won but there wasn’t a huge presence in other years. Other clubs were the same although all players are invited.

The PFA do well to have these awards and do a lot of good work but there are improvements that can be made. The timing of it all is not great. The voting forms come out not long after Christmas, when there is too much football left to play. Usually the best players rise to the top at the key moments in the final weeks of the season.

I always based my vote on who played best against me, who gave me the most trouble. So I felt it was odd that players from all leagues were voting on the best player in the Premier League. How did they really know who the best player is? And why are they denied awards for players in their own league?

Players in the Championship should vote for a player and team of the year in their league and the same for League One and Two. It makes sense. Otherwise you end up with the Premier League player of the year being chosen mostly by players who haven’t faced him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Knex. wrote: »

Despite Sanchez being "poor" for the last 4 months, he has 1 less goal than Mane over their last 10 games, and far more goals/assists overall. There's no logic to have Mane there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Lloris
    Kante
    Hazard--Alli
    ---Mane---Kane--Sanchez

The red tinted specs! Unbelievable.

Lukaku is a passenger against the top teams, Mane is a match winner.

Hasnt Lukaku scored the most goals against the top 7 sides this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

GavRedKing wrote: »

Liverpool fan. Wasting your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well imo Jonny Evans should be in the team. He has been outstanding for West Brom all season.
    They always go 4-4-2 so this would be my picks.

Courtois
    Coleman Azpilicueta Evans Rose
    Mane----Kante---Eriksen----Sanchez
    Kane
    Lukaku

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Put my team in the general pl thread but more suitable here.
    Heaton
    Valencia alderwereld luiz rose
    Alli kante wijnaldum hazard
    Kane lukaku
    Heaton has been brilliant this season and is the main reason Burnley should stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Lukaku has scored 3 V other top teams, Mane has scored 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I don't think so

Lukaku has something like 3 in 10 against the top sides. Mane has 7 in 12 (i think)

As top scorer in the league though Lukaku should absolutely be in that team

Outside the top four?

A lot further down than that

Advertisement