Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent to pay €3,000 to single mum for discrimination

Options
124»

Comments

Bob24 wrote: »
    Sure assuming a person will necessarily demonstrate a specific behaviour because they belong to a certain category would be wrong. But saying they are more likely do do so and therefore represents a higher potential risk can be correct.

It's the same question really as to debate whether it is OK to charge higher car insurance premiums to young male drivers because statistically they cause more accidents. From the insurance company's perspective it can be justified be statistics and the fact that overall that demographics will cost them more. But on the other hand not all young male drivers are reckless and individually higher premium are unfair to the ones who drive safely.

Honestly I get being worried about a single mother's ability to pay rent (although if they show the same proof of ability to pay as anyone else that should be enough), and I get being concerned about increased wear and tear with kids in the house (and would think requesting a higher deposit to reflect that risk is fair).

I don't buy this perception that single mothers are going to be somehow more demanding or cause problems by virtue of their marital and reproductive status. You could equally argue that they're less likely to annoy their landlord because it's harder to find somewhere to rent with kids and they will want to give their kids stability and not move them around every few years.

Advertisement