Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with insurance, first car at 36 years old

• 20-04-2017 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm trying to find the best insurance quote for a friend who now wants to buy a car for the first time at the age of 36.
    She has been living in Ireland for 2 years and holds an EU licence for over 10.
    It seems almost impossible to get a quote on this licence so is thinking about swapping it for a full Irish licence.
    I've checked online and even with an Irish licence the insurance on a Nissan Micra that's less than 10 years old is €4k or more.

My brother recently got insured on a 04 polo with no insurance history for €2400. He's 28 with a provisional licence.

Is there discrimination for non nationals or maybe we have been contacting the wrong insurance companies.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Apologies, I didn't know about this forum.
    Thanks LIGHTNING

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cracker86

Some insurance company's acceptance criteria will insist on the driver having been a resident in Ireland for a minimum period, generally 3 years.

Has the driver any driving experience earned in Ireland? Even as a named driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No, her licence has only ever been used to rent cars.
    It turns out the key to good insurance quotes is not to live in Limerick city. Checking liberty's insurance online quote on a 08 Micra.
    €1800 for most locations but €5500 if living in Limerick City!
    I find this really hard to believe but I've checked it over and over and get the same result!

Advertisement