Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PULSE system status help :)

Options
  • 20-04-2017 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Unusual one, but I applied for a barrel application as a substitution and it went missing :(

Took two months to get that answer.

Was told reapply so I did and he wasn't sure if it was going to be a substitution or new application so I sent in both....... Yes, I know but it was easier to go with the flow.

Over A month passed and nothing, not even an acknowledgement of receipt. Rang today and was told that 'Its on the system' and I asked was it processed as a substitution or new application.?

Told that they couldn't tell me but it's on pulse since the 10 April and "it says" a decision is due before July which would be the standard 3 month thing I would think.

To me, I'm guessing this means processed as a new application or does anyone know if this is also what it says on PULSE for a sub??

I can't get a direct answer but I suppose 'Its on the system'.

Really hard to get an answer as the station is closed and there is always someone new dealing with things in a different stations.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When it goes on the system it means the paperwork i processed but the application/renewal has not been signed off by the Super, or at least that is the way i understand it.

As for the time frame. They send out the same form for renewals/subs and full applications (3 months for a decision, etc) so it's hard to tell.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Cass wrote: »
    When it goes on the system it means the paperwork i processed but the application/renewal has not been signed off by the Super, or at least that is the way i understand it.

As for the time frame. They send out the same form for renewals/subs and full applications (3 months for a decision, etc) so it's hard to tell.

Cheers cass!

I guess it's just sit and wait and hope he approves it.

Who would have thought a simple barrel would be so confusing for them.

Hopefully it's almost sorted :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Barrel change??
    Different calibre?
    Keeping the old barrel?

If your changing..like for like you need to do notting, if your changing calibre it's a Sub but if you intend on keeping the old barrel of a different calibre it's a new Application..( you are allowed to have a spare barrel of the same calibre but not of a different calibre).

Well, Grant letter for the new license arrived today so happy days. :D new application after all.

Collect the new barrel as soon as I can :)

Went through as a new application so.

As Tackleberry. said did you need it, regardless of what you applied for? IOW was it a sub or more accurately should it have been one.

Also, and now you're sorted i can delve into this topic you should e requesting receipts or some sort of acknowledgment that your first application was lost. When we want to argue against the stats An Garda? throw at us it's good to have recorded examples.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Went through as a new application so.

As Tackleberry. said did you need it, regardless of what you applied for? IOW was it a sub or more accurately should it have been one.

No, it shouldn't have been a sub and I was applying for a new application at the start as it was a new cal and I didn't want to sub anything as I had good reason for it.

I was asked to apply for it as a sub by the FO and after my application went missing. He wasn't sure at the time as to how he was going to process it. I think the barrel only 'part wasn't helping here. Was told that there was no need for a second deer cal and even if there was, I might have to sub my 223 to cut down on number of firearms. Of course I argued this but submitted the application as advised. Ultimately he said it was the supers decision. I expressed that I would like to meet the super if it would help matters.

Also, and now you're sorted i can delve into this topic you should e requesting receipts or some sort of acknowledgment that your first application was lost. When we want to argue against the stats An Garda? throw at us it's good to have recorded examples.

I have never formally been told it was missing, I just got the 'well we don't have it here'. Arguing against that is difficult when the clerk you handed it to couldn't give you a receipt but told you it was going to be delivered to his desk.

The station is closed most of the time and so is the station that covers for it and it's next to impossible to get to speak to them, let alone meet them. You can go to the district station but they are not interested and refer you or transfer you back to the local station.

You could spend days getting a phone call to someone.

When I did submit my application directly to the district office, I got a call from the FO asking why I did that and basically telling me he was unhappy about it.

After 2/3 applications going missing in as many years. Im going to submit future applications to the district station, regardless.

The local station is the same one that I have returned 3-4 licences in the last 3 years also. All with major errors

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sionnach dubh

Sorry guys, don't want derail the thread but something Tac said caught my interest about having a spare barrel of the same caliber, could you elaborate Tac, just that I had a 308 rebarreled recently and was told I couldn't retain the old barrel

Sorry guys, don't want derail the thread but something Tac said caught my interest about having a spare barrel of the same caliber, could you elaborate Tac, just that I had a 308 rebarreled recently and was told I couldn't retain the old barrel

Don't worry about derailing the thread, as the OP, my query was answered in the second post. Anything after that is purely discussion.

As far as I know, you need a separate license for each barrel of the same caliber if the serial number of each barrel is different.

If you have a barrel licensed for a particular caliber and you order a second barrel with the same serial number, you don't need a license.

I'm sure you will get more info on this off others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Just as an aside, last week I received an approval letter from a station in a different county to me for a named person at my address. No such person has ever lived at my address though!

amadablam wrote: »
    ............. Was told that there was no need for a second deer cal and even if there was, I might have to sub my 223 to cut down on number of firearms. ...........
    That is horsesh*t and mor eof the same underhandedness i've seen elsewhere.

There is no legal limit of the amount of firearms you can have or the frequency in which you apply for them. This extends to having to get rid of one to get another. Once your security is appropriate and you fulfill all other criteria there is no legal reason to surrender a gun to get another.
    You are allowed as many barrels as you wish once they are of the same calibre as your original license.

Only when you change calibre do you need to get a new license or substitute.

If you want a 243 barrel AND your original 308 barrel then you apply for a new license for the 243 and keep the 308 license and barrel.
    If you want a 243 barrel but don't want the 308 then you do a substitution and surrender the 308 barrel.

• Advertisement

Yup, a grant letter for someone else's shotgun in someone else's name but my address. The station dealing with it is the other end of the country from me and I've never been there, don't know the person and have never owned that gun.

@ Cass - Agree with you entirely and I had this discussion over a year ago with same FO when I was told that I couldn't have two deer cals then too. I explained the reason for each too. Also my security is very high and far exceeds the guidelines so I knew I was ok there and he has inspected the house a couple of times.

But this is from the same place who reduced my ammo allowance on pellets to 1/5th of a tin during a substitution on a 'directive' to cut down ammo in the district :o I had to argue that also and it was 'referred to Dublin for advice' :D

Just on the barrels, does that hold true when the serial number is different on each barrel? Good to know that too.

You might just forget about it, but I'd like to know why my address is attached to a firearms record. Hopefully i don't encounter the same attitude when making enquiries.

No problem at all. I've removed my responses. You seem to have all the answers so i'll leave you to it.

OP has his answer too so thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement