Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Structural corrosion - rights?

Options
  • 20-04-2017 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Howdy Folks

Any rights related to structural corrosion on a recently purchased car?

Now, it's an A to B banger ('02 Ford) with 6 mth guarantee, bought in Feb '17 and NCT'd until Aug '17.

Put her in for a service mechanic says "primary structural damage" is going to fail her flat out on the renewal, so there's no point forking out for a full service. Apparently it had been sprayed over to conceal it and wouldn't have been visible unless up on the ramps.

The dealer was a SIMI member, and she already spent the first 3 weeks back with them in Feb to have the ECU replaced (kept breaking down every 3 miles).

Any recourse, or just chalk it up to bad dealership experience?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Go back to the dealer. Car should be fit for purpose.
    Then again you just have the mechanic's word and it's not likely he will/can do a written statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ShadeRunner

Thanks biko, might drop SIMI a line and ask for some advice before going back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭easygoing39

SIMI will do nothing for you,they work for the dealers,not the public.

Cheers for the response easygoing39. I contacted them back when the ECU had failed and they actually did a good job of insisting the dealer foot the bill for the repair ... might be a different scenario with structural issues though.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/motoring/advice_on_buying_a_used_car_in_ireland.html
    You are protected by the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 as you are buying a car for your personal use from a person whose normal business it is to sell cars.
    As a consumer you have the same rights if you buy an item second hand as if it is new.
    In this case if you find a fault with the car after you have bought it the dealer is the person who must set matters right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I dont know what sort of dealer offers a six month warranty with a 15 year old car.
    Mind me asking how much you paid for it ??

Standard 6 month cover for all vehicles sold by the dealership apparently, cost was €1700 martinr5232

That's helpful information biko, thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sold by a dealer means you have full consumer protection. http://www.consumerhelp.ie/buying-car-dealer-private

Bring it back to the dealer, they are required to repair the damage, refund you for the car or offer you an equivalent replacement.

Standard 6 month cover for all vehicles sold by the dealership apparently, cost was €1700 martinr5232

Wow you certainly paid for your warranty take pictures of corrosion and bring it back to them.

Thanks seamus and martinr5232. Just rang mechanic, he'll take a few photos while it's up on the ramps and I can send them with the consumer protection quotes back to the dealer.

Hopefully something useful will come out of it.

Cheers for all the feedback folks, really helpful.

• Advertisement

Dont go quoting anything yet just tell dealer you were advised the vehicle is not roadworthy and show them pictures.

Fair enough martinr5232, will post an update if/when I get some feedback. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you can't get anywhere, book an early test and have it fail that due to corrosion. That should put it beyond question.

That's actually a smart idea, thanks mickdw

Hey

Just a quick update on the above.

Contacted both SIMI and dealer about the above ... dealer has come back saying they "did no body work" on the car, so they're going to take the car in, have their own mech give it a look over, maybe get an NCT inspection done themselves. I have a loaner car from them for the time they have it.

Seems like a good start. Thanks for all the advice.

Col, thanks for the update. Hopefully it all works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

That's actually a smart idea, thanks mickdw

If it is NCTd more than 90 days early, the date it expires will be one year from test date, rather than Aug 2018.

And it might not be guarantee it will fail, even if it should, might be no harm pointing it out before the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hey

Just a quick update on the above.

Contacted both SIMI and dealer about the above ... dealer has come back saying they "did no body work" on the car, so they're going to take the car in, have their own mech give it a look over, maybe get an NCT inspection done themselves. I have a loaner car from them for the time they have it.

Seems like a good start. Thanks for all the advice.

That might work out well for them.

Cheers Bruthal, will make sure to mention it when I leave it back with them.

Just a final follow up folks.

Car was repaired by dealer, put in for NCT and passed. All within two weeks. SIMI were checking in on the progress throughout as well.

Cheers everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Wossack

would be tempted to bring it back to your original mechanic who highlighted the issues, just to check all's above board

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm afraid you may have made a schoolboy error.
    My original suggestion was for you to book a test and take it in yourself, maybe mentioning that you are worried about structural corrosion.
    Allowing the dealer to run it through may well mean that they got a cert having done alot less work than would ideally be needed.
    Still at least you have a new test and we would have to assume that it's not a complete death trap rust wise having passed.

Agree mickdw, also the dealership is pretty close to the test centre so part of me did think, they know someone who'll give it a pass regardless. Obviously too late though!

Live and learn. Will get a good mech to give it a once over as Wossack suggested.

Advertisement