Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Meter Outside

Options
  • 20-04-2017 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just had a rewire done and electrician advised I should move the meter outside. Walls are solid concrete so chasing them to contain the cabinet doesn't seem possible.

A house down the street has a surface mounted box, but electrician told me ESBN can be difficult and specify the box and hockey stick need to be chased.

I phoned ESBN and they were not clear on this. Looking at their site they specify the hockey stick must be embedded if the walls are not cavity (https://www.esbnetworks.ie/docs/default-source/publications/your-meter-cabinet.pdf) but the neighbour has the hockey stick clearly outside.

If it doesn't need to be chased, I'm happy enough to source the cabinet and mount it in the correct position then let the electrician & ESBN get on with it. Otherwise do I need an engineer to oversee the work? I can't see chasing a large hole into a structural wall as being a good idea.

If chasing is required, would the electrician do that or do I need a builder & engineer?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

I should add, the meter would be moved from inside the hallway to the reverse of that wall, but about a meter lower on the wall. It's currently at ceiling height, just inside the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Your electrician should be able to advise you better on this
    I have however done both recently. A site visit from esbn should confirm what is required

Advertisement