Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on upgrades

Options
  • 20-04-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've just started to get into road cycling and am doing about 200km a week ( I know its not alot but hopefully it will rise as i get fitter)

I got clip-less shoes for my bike but still need to get the pedals, i was wondering if any one could recommend if the price jump between the shimano R550 pedals and the 105 carbon pedals, is it worth it 30eur more?, and then another 30ish to the ultegra pedals, will i see the difference not being a pro?

Ive read carbon pedals are better for clipping into?

And secondly my bike has Shimano BR-R561 brakes (I've found these are the 105 equivalent) would there be any upgrade if i went for ultegra brakes, as I always have in my head that brakes and tyres are the most important part of a bike or car. I.e. better stopping power

Thanks For any advice :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I'd go for the cheapest pedals until you get used to them as they'll get scratched etc.

I reckon the best upgrade would be investing in a decent set of wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

there are a few options, as a previous poster said the best bang for your buck is usually a wheel upgrade. Personally I've upgraded saddle, peddles, seat-post, tiagra/fsa mix for full ultegra groupset and bar tape...I'm a serial tinkerer! Brake pads are a good and cheap upgrade, I use Koolstop salmon and find them great in all weathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Ive been looking into wheels but their very costly, the bike is only a month old so ill wait for them to get a buckle or a bearing to go first before i change them...

the bike has an ultegra/105 mix groupset on it at the moment.

So far I've upgraded to gatorskin hardshell tyres which are excellent and also the griptape for a comfier ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

There was a topic not long ago about 105 pedals. Only a year or so, 105 pedals were all metal.
    There wouldn't be any noticeable difference between R550 and carbon 105, other than, some say, they clip in somewhat easier.

Personally wouldn't bother with brakes either, I think the goal is actually going faster, braking is important, but you would get more braking power by simply getting braking pads with different compound and maintaining braking surfaces clean.

As mentioned earlier, if you have got standard wheels, upgrade would be a good thing to do. It is a lot of research however.

Nowadays many agree that Ultegra upgrade over 105 is very subtle, in my personal view, anything above 105 becomes a weight reduction game, where different metals are used and they are not always more durable.

Just 2c.

....also a proper bike fitting is well worth the money.

Wheels needn't cost the earth. You mentioned replacing the shifters to Ultegra. This is a €200+ upgrade. You could get a set of Aksiums/Zondas for a bit more and in my opinion would be a lot more bang for your buck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Trekker09 wrote: »
    ....also a proper bike fitting is well worth the money.

Wheels needn't cost the earth. You mentioned replacing the shifters to Ultegra. This is a €200+ upgrade. You could get a set of Aksiums/Zondas for a bit more and in my opinion would be a lot more bang for your buck.

Aksiums and Zondas are not in the same class, Zondas being considerably better in every respect.

There is no difference in R550 and 105/Ultegra pedals so unless you have unlimited budget then just get the R550's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've generally shelled out for dura ace shimano pedals for my good bike and ultegra or 105 on my training bike, and once cos I was stuck I bought the basic R540 (?) ones and hand on heart I couldn't discern ANY performance difference between them whatsoever from 50 quid right up to 200 quid :)

Aksiums and Zondas are not in the same class, Zondas being considerably better in every respect.

There is no difference in R550 and 105/Ultegra pedals so unless you have unlimited budget then just get the R550's.

I was just using these as an example, not starting a debate on the merits of either

Thanks for the info!!

Ill go for the 550 Pedals so, I always thought you would feel the difference when you went up in price (better bearings ect) not just weight.

Ill have a look around at wheels, what got me interested in the brakes was that their coming in about 46eur each on sale on wiggle and had excellent reviews...

Ill look into a bike fit too, I take it that i should wait until i get the pedals as ill be a cm or two higher with the cleats?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

On the other hand, if an upgrade makes you feel better and or prouder owning the bike, go for it. Bikes are things of beauty - many higher end parts have a nicer finish, look better, that's also important!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Do you have bib shorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I've been told by people that dual pivot breaks will give a good upgrade from the cheaper brakes and been debating the upgrade myself lately but not sure if it's worth it or not?

Yea I have Bib shorts, they make a big difference!!!

Yea Nordicb the nice look attracted me to them with the good reviews, My view is always there's no point in going fast if you cant stop quickly if you need to.

Advertisement