Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken computer: please help

Options
  • 20-04-2017 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I bought a hp computer less than a month ago. Today I dropped it, and it smashed. The screen is broken and the keyboard is broken.
    Can anyone advise me how to get it repaired/ replaced under warranty?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Novice3619 wrote: »
    I bought a hp computer less than a month ago. Today I dropped it, and it smashed. The screen is broken and the keyboard is broken.
    Can anyone advise me how to get it repaired/ replaced under warranty?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Warranty won't cover accidental damage. Your home insurance might though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

mordeith wrote: »
    Warranty won't cover accidental damage. Your home insurance might though.

Mightn't be worth the price increase in your next premium though ;-)

Contact the manufacture directly, they might offer an out of warranty repair service.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Before spending money on it, try and pin down the extent of the damage. The screen is broken and the keyboard is damaged - does it still switch on normally? Does the trackpad work? If you connected an external monitor and a keyboard, can you use it normally? If it's only the screen and keyboard you might be ok, but if the motherboard or other components are also damaged, it's likely approaching "fix it yourself or buy a new one" price range.

Official replacement parts from the manufacturer can cost a fair amount, and that's before you take the labour cost of the official repair centres into account. If you know someone who can fit the new screen and keyboard for you, it wouldn't hurt to check the likes of ebay for prices. Then you can decide what suits you best. (I've done screen fixes for people in the past and it's normally been less than €50 for the new display panel, but it depends on the laptop type and panel resolution/quality...)

Advertisement