Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance when touring

• 20-04-2017 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭

Heading to France in June and looking for travel insurance. Going through Google for Motorcycle travel insurance it's throwing up a lot of companies but when you go through the quote they don't cover over 125! So far I've found BlueInsurance.ie, MultiTrip.com and Travelinsurance.ie providing quotes, all in the €40s for 11 days. Anyone know any other companies that will provide travel

Am I correct in assuming that Grade 3 will cover for touring?
    Sports and Activities – Grade 3 Subject to Additional Premium
    100% Loading to cover all activities or €75 per activity
    You can be covered under Section B – Emergency Medical Expenses and Section D –
    Personal Accident sections for the following activities provided that the activity is on an
    Incidental basis (unless stated other-wise below) and subject to an additional premium
    being paid and shown on the validation certificate.
    Medical Excess increased to €650
    Personal Accident Sum insured reduced by 50%
    Personal Liability Cover is Excluded
    • Motorcycling
    over 125cc (with
    the appropriate
    Irish motorcycle
    licence, wearing
    a crash helmet,
    no racing)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Are you not covered on your own policy? Who are you with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

What are you looking to get insured for?

Most 'travel' insurance covers:

- cancellations (flights etc)
    - medical expenses
    - evacuations
    - delays (flights etc.)
    - some level of 'assistance'

Most are not relevant for biking in France.

Personally, when I've been in Europe on the bike, i just had:
    - standard health insurance
    - european medical card (http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/EHIC/apply/)
    - breakdown cover (it was in my bike policy)
    - bike policy details

You will be covered on your bike policy for normal purposes, although some insurers are stingy on the number of consecutive days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

GBX wrote: »
    Are you not covered on your own policy? Who are you with?

I'm with Carol Nash. I don't think that car or bike insurance cover injuries and medical recovery from abroad. You only have basic cover with the EHIC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

colm_c wrote: »
    What are you looking to get insured for?

Most 'travel' insurance covers:

- cancellations (flights etc)
    - medical expenses
    - evacuations
    - delays (flights etc.)
    - some level of 'assistance'

Most are not relevant for biking in France.

Personally, when I've been in Europe on the bike, i just had:
    - standard health insurance
    - european medical card (http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/EHIC/apply/)
    - breakdown cover (it was in my bike policy)
    - bike policy details

You will be covered on your bike policy for normal purposes, although some insurers are stingy on the number of consecutive days.

Medical recovery and more than basic medical care, which is what my bike policy won't cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Del2005 wrote: »
    Medical recovery and more than basic medical care, which is what my bike policy won't cover

Then you should look for that product specifically, any of the health providers should offer it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

World first cover motorcycle and motorcycle activities abroad. Just tick the non resident box to allow you to get cover

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

serious3 wrote: »
    World first cover motorcycle and motorcycle activities abroad. Just tick the non resident box to allow you to get cover

Telling me i can't get a quote unless i have a valid GP number from within the UK??

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭-jellybelly-

I used trailfinders for my 17 day motorbike trip for 43euro. They've Irish call centre staff that book the policy. +1 on European health insurance card

Advertisement