Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32 &128GB SE availability

Options
  • 20-04-2017 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

My iphone 6 has just croaked and I'm considering getting an SE as a stopgap till the 8 arrives (surely not a 7S this September)

My question is this. Apple appear to have bumped the SE up to 32 &128 GB but Vodafone (at least on the web store) are only selling 16 &64 GB models. Any idea when they're likely to catch up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭shawki

Argos are selling the 16gb SE for €440 and the 64gb for €540 if that suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

Well no, my thinking is that the new memory sizes will be the same price as the old ones hence a 32GB when it arrives will be the price of the 16gb and so on. If I'm going to be cheap I may as well hold out for the 32gb model.

I was also going to just use my upgrade rather than spend that much in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd say there just getting rid of what stock they have then you'll see the bigger gb, I'd give it about 2 weeks or less before you see them appear.

Wouldn't call the SE a stopgap, went from a 6s to an SE best move ever it's a way better phone to live with and best battery of the current iPhones.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why wait on Vodafone or any network and just buy directly off Apple?

Guaranteed to be SIM free as well so you can sell it easily when the 8 comes out?
    iPhone SE on Apple store

In answer to the many replies.

I say stopgap because I have great expectations for the iphone 8 (Although based on the 7 etc I'm not sure why that is :)) Half of me says that the SE might indeed be a nicer phone than the 6, provided I get one with enough memory.

The reason for upgrading from Vodafone is that I'm trying to conserve my cash, if I had €499 to buy the SE from apple, I'd probably just go and buy a 128gb 7 from Vodafone. (btw I do appreciate that it is cheaper in the long term to buy the phone from apple, but this is as much about cash flow as overall cost) Plus I already have to figure out how to get some money back on my poor hobbled iphone 6, so I don't want the hassle of having another iphone to sell in six months time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mlo wrote: »
    In answer to the many replies.

I say stopgap because I have great expectations for the iphone 8 (Although based on the 7 etc I'm not sure why that is :)) Half of me says that the SE might indeed be a nicer phone than the 6, provided I get one with enough memory.

The reason for upgrading from Vodafone is that I'm trying to conserve my cash, if I had €499 to buy the SE from apple, I'd probably just go and buy a 128gb 7 from Vodafone. (btw I do appreciate that it is cheaper in the long term to buy the phone from apple, but this is as much about cash flow as overall cost) Plus I already have to figure out how to get some money back on my poor hobbled iphone 6, so I don't want the hassle of having another iphone to sell in six months time.

Well, if the SE is only a "stopgap" till september, then you will have another phone to sell possibly,also you will be in a new contract with whoever you take a phone from now so the likelyhood is you'll have to purchase the 8 outright then as a far greater price than €499. Have you considered looking on adverts for something, this user always has fantastic deals on apple products and he is 100% to deal with too

I suppose it is six of one and half a dozen of the other. I'll probably just wait till Vodafone roll in the new stock.

Because the SE upgrade is fairly cheap (ie €49 as an upgrade) and because it's not a bad phone (tbh I could see myself keeping the SE, particularly if the iphone 8 isn't as expected), Also I already have takers for it later in the year if I do decide to upgrade.

Actually getting rid of the 6 is going to be the biggest pita.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

shawki wrote: »
    Argos are selling the 16gb SE for €440 and the 64gb for €540 if that suits.

They are also selling the 32gb SE for 460 and the 128gb for 585.

This makes the obsolete 16gb far too expensive at 440, also the 64gb is discontinued and too expensive at 540

This makes the obsolete 16gb far too expensive at 440, also the 64gb is discontinued and too expensive at 540

I totally agree, the 32 replaced the 16 and the 128 replaced the 64, so it should only be a matter of time before stock runs out and the prices drop (a little) hence my original post.

Hmm, bit like watching paint dry but I notice that all of the 16gb models bar the gold one are out of stock on the Vodafone website. Apple usually do knifeedge product changes so new stock should be 32GB models, hmmmm.

• Advertisement

Hmm, bit like watching paint dry but I notice that all of the 16gb models bar the gold one are out of stock on the Vodafone website. Apple usually do knifeedge product changes so new stock should be 32GB models, hmmmm.

CompuB now show only the 32 and 128 as being in stock.

Argos are cheaper by about 40 per phone.

At this stage I'll hold out for Vodafone as it'll (hopefully) only be €49 for the upgrade.

At this stage I'll hold out for Vodafone as it'll (hopefully) only be €49 for the upgrade.

They probably have them in, just waiting to clear obsolete stock.

It's worth phoning them enquirung about porting your number because another operator has the phone you want .

I did look at changing service, none of them were a whole lot cheaper to be worth the hassle and as I have a Vodafone sure signal at home (what was I thinking :)) and also where I live (at least last time I checked) I couldn't get a signal for any operator except Vodafone. I'm sort of stuck with them.

Finally on the Vodafone website, but they're being a bit naughty. They obviously have stocks of 64GB SE's left so the prices are 49, 149 and 249 for the 32, 64 and 128 respectively, had hoped the 128 would be 149. Still at least the 32 is cheap. Will probably snag a 32GB space grey one over the weekend, will be great to have a functional phone again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Finally on the Vodafone website, but they're being a bit naughty. They obviously have stocks of 64GB SE's left so the prices are 49, 149 and 249 for the 32, 64 and 128 respectively, had hoped the 128 would be 149. Still at least the 32 is cheap. Will probably snag a 32GB space grey one over the weekend, will be great to have a functional phone again :)

Did you purchase? Im in a similar boat. Had planned to go to Argos today to buy it outright but didnt. Im still unsure

I managed to get a space grey 32Gb model in Enniscorthy on Friday.
    So far the phone is excellent and I really don't see any downside over my poor deceased iPhone 6 (certainly not 300 euros worth :)). Not withstanding the screen size reduction, which didn't really take a lot of getting used to, and on the plus side it sits better in the pocket than a 6 or a 7. In fairness I'm having more trouble getting used to spotify than anything else and that's just learning where the various controls are vs Apple music.

Also as it's an SE accessories like cases and screen protectors are plentiful and cheap. Got a tempered glass screen protector and a fairly decent case in dealz for 1.49 each, I was going to pay 30 for a case for the iPhone 7 had I gotten one, so can't argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

I managed to get a space grey 32Gb model in Enniscorthy on Friday.
    So far the phone is excellent and I really don't see any downside over my poor deceased iPhone 6 (certainly not 300 euros worth :)). Not withstanding the screen size reduction, which didn't really take a lot of getting used to, and on the plus side it sits better in the pocket than a 6 or a 7. In fairness I'm having more trouble getting used to spotify than anything else and that's just learning where the various controls are vs Apple music.

Also as it's an SE accessories like cases and screen protectors are plentiful and cheap. Got a tempered glass screen protector and a fairly decent case in dealz for 1.49 each, I was going to pay 30 for a case for the iPhone 7 had I gotten one, so can't argue with that.

I took the plunge and purchased yesterday as well. I must say I'm very impressed. There was a good few apps on it that I didn't want but they were easily removed. So far I am very impressed with the phone. And thanks for the advice about the phone case in Dealz! I purchased it for 1.50, it is a pretty good case - probably won't last as long but at that price who cares. Cheers for that

Prices in Argos are interesting -

The 16gb SE is now €469 and the 32gb is €459.

What sane person would pay more for an inferior spec phone?

Advertisement