Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Creator Update - Unstable?

• 20-04-2017 4:17pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else experienced strange blue screens since the update.

I installed this morning and I've had THREE blue screens since despite not having any issues before installing the Update.

Event viewer shows (Error info)
    15:56:20: The operating system started at system time ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎20 T15:56:20.491962200Z.
    15:56:22: Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.
    15:56:26: The previous system shutdown at 15:55:50 on ‎20/‎04/‎2017 was unexpected.

There are no entries for the hour in event viewer before these ones, or anything after it that gives any clue as what is causing it, I've seen the same happen THREE times now and still none the wiser as what is causing it, and it happens when the machine is under light load, normal or heavy load.

Normally I'd expect to see something before 15:55:50 showing something to have failed that caused the shutdown, but there is nothing there and since the dump wasn't created either, I have no idea what is causing it.

Of course the simple fix is to roll back, but I wondered if anyone could shed any light on it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're Redmonds guinea pig. After they fired most of test this is how bugs are found.

Roll it back, wait for next months patch tuesday then install it again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I had about 6 blue screens and I also had issues with color accuracy on my monitor as well afer the upgrade so I rolled back and stable ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Windows 10 LTSB ftw.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have it on my tablet and about 6 of us have it on our desktops at work. I'm not aware of anyone having had any issues with stability so far.

What specs are you running on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭homer911

I'm running an oldish PC and I let the creator update do its stuff when I was prompted. It then proceeded to break my Wifi access, which I cant live without as my PC is not within cable range. I have been pottering with it for ages until I came across an article from the Register dated December 2016. If you have the same problem, open a command prompt (run as administrator)
    Enter the following two lines:

netsh winsock reset catalog
    netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

(I only restarted after the second command)

Once rebooted I had to enable my wireless adapter, but it then kicked in and I was able to get back on the wifi
    Hope this is useful to someone!

(Note - the creator update destroys any previous restore points-you cannot roll back)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

testicles wrote: »

Who was that question directed at? I'm using Avast.

I'm on a Spectre x360 i7 5500u, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD.
    homer911 wrote: »
    I(Note - the creator update destroys any previous restore points-you cannot roll back)

You should be able to go to
    Recovery -> Go back to the Previous Version of Windows 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have Win10 and Avast on my tablet and had to reinstall Avast after the CU, but haven't had any crashes since then. We're using Sophos on the work machines and that also seems stable.

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »
    I'm on a Spectre x360 i7 5500u, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD.

You should be able to go to
    Recovery -> Go back to the Previous Version of Windows 10

If you mean System Restore, I tried that and no restore points existed, I have never heard of a recovery option

testicles wrote: »

I've been running Windows 10 since it came out and I dont recall a single crash, just the Wifi problem

It's not system restore

Go to
    - Settings -> Update and Security -> Recovery -> Go Back to an Earlier Version of Windows 10

However this option only appears for a limited time in the recovery menu.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

devnull wrote: »
    It's not system restore

Go to
    - Settings -> Update and Security -> Recovery -> Go Back to an Earlier Version of Windows 10

However this option only appears for a limited time in the recovery menu.

They've also got "Reset this PC", which is an excellent way of quickly dealing with any weird issues that crop up.

I use it when there's an issue that I can't explain and when I don't think I could come up with a solution in the next few hours. Faster wiping everything and setting it up again than trying to sort it.

Advertisement