Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I think he'd be daft to leave Spurs atm with Poch and we'd be royally fcuked over with the fee. He looks super happy and settled as well. Can't see it happening at all

Kane is probably the most unobtainable player in the world right now considering all factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Harrop is only 10 days younger than Martial!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Genuinely don't think you'd get him for under at least 120m now, and that's if he even wants to leave, given how well Spurs are doing. He's not a realistic target at all, if we are being honest.

Not a hope in hell will they sell, just wishful thinking all depends on poch leaving and the cost of the stadium for the other players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

No post match analysis on Danish TV,I'm watching the 80's McGyver now:pac:

Switched over and I have Giggs and Andy Townsend.

So much for the EPL crackdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Lord TSC wrote:
    Genuinely don't think you'd get him for under at least 120m now, and that's if he even wants to leave, given how well Spurs are doing. He's not a realistic target at all, if we are being honest.

Unfortunately this is true.

The only reason I could see him leaving is silly contract money, or the attraction of playing for a club with Manchester United's history. But Spurs are in a much better position than us now. Young squad, new stadium, highly rated manager, Champions League... I think he'd be foolish to leave them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Thought Mitchell did really well today against zaha.

Angel Gomes has become the first player born in the 2000s to play in the Premier League.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Unfortunately this is true.

The only reason I could see him leaving is silly contract money, or the attraction of playing for a club with Manchester United's history. But Spurs are in a much better position than us now. Young squad, new stadium, highly rated manager, Champions League... I think he'd be foolish to leave them.

This isn't me trying to downplay Kane; he's a world class striker, and its scary how good he is.

BUT I think we could spend half the money and have someone with the same level of effectiveness for us tbh. Kane benefits from a team thats settled and built around him, a team that works 100% for each other. I think we had similiar experiences this year when we built round Ibra and he got a great goal return for his age, in his first year in the PL.

If, for instance, we got Lukaku, for half the price of Kane too, and built round him similiar to how Spurs build round Kane, I think Lukaku would outshine him. Especially since Lukaku gives similar numbers to Kane in a drastically weaker team than him. Its the system in play at Spurs that helps Kane reach that potential.

409DC61700000578-4527404-image-a-111_1495378455680.jpg

409D6E0500000578-4527404-image-a-101_1495377677958.jpg

409D55A100000578-4527404-image-a-102_1495377698314.jpg

409DAF7F00000578-4527404-image-a-114_1495378607180.jpg

409DC87100000578-4527404-image-a-132_1495379430562.jpg

409EE7D200000578-4527404-image-a-173_1495382274830.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

This isn't me trying to downplay Kane; he's a world class striker, and its scary how good he is.

BUT I think we could spend half the money and have someone with the same level of effectiveness for us tbh. Kane benefits from a team thats settled and built around him, a team that works 100% for each other. I think we had similiar experiences this year when we built round Ibra and he got a great goal return for his age, in his first year in the PL.

If, for instance, we got Lukaku, for half the price of Kane too, and built round him similiar to how Spurs build round Kane, I think Lukaku would outshine him. Especially since Lukaku gives similar numbers to Kane in a drastically weaker team than him. Its the system in play at Spurs that helps Kane reach that potential.

I tend to get the impression after watching the two that Kane is a vastly superior player than Lukaku. I'm always surprised at how many goals Lukaku gets but this is also the first time in five seasons he's cracked 20 PL goals, Kane's done that every season.

domrush wrote: »
    I tend to get the impression after watching the two that Kane is a vastly superior player than Lukaku. I'm always surprised at how many goals Lukaku gets but this is also the first time in five seasons he's cracked 20 PL goals, Kane's done that every season.

Kane works harder than Lukaku who can go through games without breaking a sweat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I don't think Kane is vastly superior to Lukaku.Kane is playing in a far superior team to Lukaku with everything set up to get the best out of him.Kane is a top notch player but not levels above imo.
    I'd be happy with either player tbh and Lukaku is the one that is realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

If you put Lukaku into that spurs team where Kane is I'd say he would have similar numbers

zerks wrote: »
    Kane works harder than Lukaku who can go through games without breaking a sweat.

He does need to work harder especially the work he does without the ball.Id be very happy to see him signed and you would think/hope Jose would get that little bit more out of him.

Most likely to go to Chelsea isn't he ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Lukaku was at a better team but got sold off. That said I wouldnt mind him and all and sadly don't think Kane is realistic right now. 150mn easily levy would be looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

With Jones playing full game and Blind not coming on today does back 4 for final look like

Valencia Smalling Blind Darmian.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Lukaku was at a better team but got sold off. That said I wouldnt mind him and all and sadly don't think Kane is realistic right now. 150mn easily levy would be looking for.

No shame leaving Chelsea at 21 to get regular football.iirc Jose didn't want him to leave .

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Just seen Harrop's goal, excellent finish, and his goal today also made him United's 100th different scorer in the Premier League.

Off topic but have a look at Sane's tattoo

https://twitter.com/_mattcoleman/status/866324944946253825

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

astradave wrote: »

wow not the brightest spark around

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »

Reminds me off that City fan who got Rooney (after he wanted out was linked to Man City 7 years ago) in a City shirt tattooed on his back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Uniteds striker need is dependant on what Jose wants the side to do next season. I see Jose looking for a player to play a Drogba, Zlatan, Costa EPL role. I expect he will be after a Zlatan replacement to bring similar attributes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,661 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Reminds me off that City fan who got Rooney (after he wanted out was linked to Man City 7 years ago) in a City shirt tattooed on his back.

I always remember the Newcastle fan who got a hyoooj one of Andy Cole, that tool up the whole of his considerably large thigh, only for Cole to sign for United shortly after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Well they did.

Fair play to Liverpool for qualifying for the qualifying rounds of the Champions League

zerks wrote: »
    Angel Gomes has become the first player born in the 2000s to play in the Premier League.

And the youngest player to make his United debut since Duncan Edwards all the way back in 1953.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

For the mooted Kane money I'd rather we went sniffing around Arsenal for Sanchez and a cheeky bid for Alderweireld. The likelihood of Sanchez jumping ship could rise given a positive result against Ajax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Just seen Harrop's goal, excellent finish, and his goal today also made him United's 100th different scorer in the Premier League.

Now there is a quiz question to keep us busy during pre-season

paulbok wrote: »
    Now there is a quiz question to keep us busy during pre-season

And the team picked by José today, was United's youngest ever side in Premier League history.

Did i hear a stat correct during the game today - That since 1937, every Man United match-day squad has included a graduate from the club's youth system?

That's class, if true.

stankratz wrote: »
    Did i hear a stat correct during the game today - That since 1937, every Man United match-day squad has included a graduate from the club's youth system?

That's class, if true.

Yhhh that's been talked about since Fergus left and everyone said Jose would break it.

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »

That's class, if true.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mrmujac/status/866278170454052865

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yhhh that's been talked about since Fergus left and everyone said Jose would break it.

I must have missed all of that that so.

Good to see that record maintained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

With regard the Kane vs Lukaku debate, i definitely think Kane is a better all-round player. Seems to be stronger on his weaker foot, his hold up play and distribution to me has looked better, and i think he has a more intelligent reading of the game. His workrate is also far better. Character wise, i like Kane. He seems down to earth, humble nearly. I wouldn't place Lukaku in the same bracket, and the way he seems to constantly court speculation about moving. Now that could well be ambition and a wanting to play at a higher level.
    But as has been mentioned, i think Kane could cost twice the price of Lukaku. So while we need to upgrade other area's of our team perhaps the money saved on going all out for Kane could be used elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Missed it cause was watching Hurling today, but by all accounts we were good.

And young lads impressed. Good to hear. Roll on Wednesday

But as has been mentioned, i think Kane could cost twice the price of Lukaku. So while we need to upgrade other area's of our team perhaps the money saved on going all out for Kane could be used elsewhere.

Put it to you this way; we could get Lukaku, Sanchez and Naingollan for roughly the same price you'd expect Kane to go for. (Going on rumored prices)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

83 days till the new season starts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Put it to you this way; we could get Lukaku, Sanchez and Naingollan for roughly the same price you'd expect Kane to go for. (Going on rumored prices)

Yes,that's what i was getting at. I'd absolutely love Kane at United if we were already strong in all area's and it wouldn't bother me spending Pogba-esque type money and greater on him. But by signing someone else and still being able to strengthen 3 to 4 other needed area's with the money saved i do think that is the better scenario. Obviously, i am assuming he would come to United. That may not necessarily be the case but it will be interesting to see can Spurs maintain their form in league, press on in Europe, hold onto their players, all while having the purse strings tightened with the building of the new stadium. To put it this way......we could go for Kane in 2 years and he'll only be 25 years of age.

That was some press conference Jose did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Looking at Real Madrid over the past few weeks has convinced me that I'd take Navas at united should DDG go the opposite direction.

It appears to be the logical choice and would allow us to focus our spending and negotiating elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

TheDoctor wrote: »
    That was some press conference Jose did

Yup very funny and fair play to Jose.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-walks-straight-out-10469602#ICID=nsm

Got one over on the media, brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Headshot wrote: »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-walks-straight-out-10469602#ICID=nsm

Lol biggrin.png, that's genius from Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Was there any sort of acknowledgement/reaction etc when Rooney was subbed off in the 88th minute?? (and not the bloody 26th minute!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Was there any sort of acknowledgement/reaction etc when Rooney was subbed off in the 88th minute?? (and not the bloody 26th minute!)
    I was listening on the radio, but didn't hear any talk about Rooney. It's remarkable how much he has fallen in estimation. The English used to be obsessed with him, but now he's barely mentioned.

sigmundv wrote: »
    I was listening on the radio, but didn't hear any talk about Rooney. It's remarkable how much he has fallen in estimation. The English used to be obsessed with him, but now he's barely mentioned.

Rooney got a full house on the feet applause and chant when he was subbed off the fans were excellent and the very minute game ended they sang his name and cheered him and his little lad around the pitch.

I hope that if he leaves this summer he will be rightfully regarded up there with the very best United players he deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Souness
    "A pundit is not honest if they cannot forget their colours or if they try to hide the truth from their audience.

"It's not my fault if their managerial career was very poor."

giphy.gif

Didnt see anything today, how'd the chung flahs look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Headshot wrote: »

Very clever from Jose. Apparently all the journalists were out watching the lap of honour and all the goodbyes. Jose was skimming through all the interviews and got there early before everyone else. He knew exactly what he was doing :p

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Souness

giphy.gif

Didnt see anything today, how'd the chung flahs look?

The Chung lads put in a solid professional performance against a team of seasoned pros that didn't look interested at all.

• Important run out for Pogba today after a tough week for him.
    A good performance in prep for the final too.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Important run out for Pogba today after a tough week for him.
    A good performance in prep for the final too.

His range of passing instantly changes the team too

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement