Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Important run out for Pogba today after a tough week for him.
    A good performance in prep for the final too.
    astradave wrote: »
    His range of passing instantly changes the team too

It's amazing what having players ahead of him that were willing to run onto the end of the passes he is exceptional when he has movement ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We ended the season scoring less goals than Bournemouth in the PL

Nalz wrote: »
    We ended the season scoring less goals than Bournemouth

We could end the season with 2 trophies and champions league group stage qualification in the bag......

Our finishing was pathetic most if the year but we all know that is going to be the fixed this summer one way or another so all that matters is win Wednesday and then every negative statistic can go be feked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

And yet, by some sorcery we managed to finish ahead of them in the PL!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Only Spurs conceded fewer tho, swings and roundabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Next season will be interesting with all the big teams having to cope with European football of some sort.

Chelsea won the league this season with no European football to worry about. Leicester the season before. Liverpool went very close with the same circumstances before slipping up.

Just think of this.

When we were celebrating the millennium and worried about how the computers would cope with the millienium bug..... Angel Gomes wasn't even born.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

jayo26 wrote: »
    Just think of this.

When we were celebrating the millennium and worried about how the computers would cope with the millienium bug..... Angel Gomes wasn't even born.

How did he do? MOTD highlights ended just as he was coming on

ParkRunner wrote: »
    How did he do? MOTD highlights ended just as he was coming on

He was full of energy as you expect but didn't have long enough to really show himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

jayo26 wrote: »
    He was full of energy as you expect but didn't have long enough to really show himself.
    Was hoping he would get 10-15 minutes,5 minutes at the end was nice for him but game had petered out by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

And yet, by some sorcery we managed to finish ahead of them in the PL!

Ha... I get it, but still that's a stat anyone would have laughed at, at the start of the season. Actually if you'd had said it in Jan or Feb people would still have laughed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ha... I get it, but still that's a stat anyone would have laughed at, at the start of the season. Actually if you'd had said it in Jan or Feb people would still have laughed.

Lack of goals has been a trend for us since Fergie left so it's not really a surprise.

Jose was acutely aware of our impotence up front which is why Zlatan was brought in as a quick fix.

One could argue that him playing as our sole striker has been detrimental to our goals considering the likes of Rashers and Martial were played out wide to accommodate him.

I believe Jose felt our more pressing concern was defense and midfield.

He brought in Bailly who if he continues as he has started will be our centre half for the next decade.

He brought in Pogba who will be our dynamic midfielder for the next decade.

He brought in Mikhi who was provide creativity and goals for the next 5 or 6 years.

That's why I believe our "big" signing of the summer will be a out and out striker.

Who that will be remains to be seen.

Alot of people feel that Greizmann is a good shout, same as Lukaka.

Kane would be the dream signing but that will never happen.

I think we could be taken a bit by surprise by who we sign. Aubamageng (sp) is one that's a bit from leftfield and would be a great signing.

I expect big moves into the big two in Spain and let's be honest, if it came to a player joining us or one of them then we are missing out. We also have the likes of City and Chelsea to contend with aswell as the German and Italian sides.

I've no doubt that the groundwork has been done and there are agreements in place for most of our targets.

Some may hinge on CL qualification so losing on Wednesday is not an option.

We are extremely difficult to beat which is vital for any team hoping to push for the top prizes so if we sort out our attack then I've no doubt we will be there or thereabouts come May next year.

He will have two years in the job by then so a 6th place finish would be simply unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lord TSC wrote: »

Reading that has me thinking that he's from Bunclody..."Lad".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

zerks wrote: »
    Reading that has me thinking that he's from Bunclody..."Lad".

Reminds me of this

https://twitter.com/waynerooney/status/61593468186791936

It seems like Simeone is staying at Atleti. This could affect any move for Griezmann. Had Simeone left as was rumoured earlier this year then Griezmann might have been more open to a move away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It seems like Simeone is staying at Atleti. This could affect any move for Griezmann. Had Simeone left as was rumoured earlier this year then Griezmann might have been more open to a move away.

Was it rumoured he'd leave? I have been under the impression he has always said he'd stay till end of next season. Remember he negotiated/reduced his contract to the end of next year.

I highly doubt Simeone's situation is an indication of anything with Griezmann's situation. I'm personally on the fence about Griezmann as im unsure where he'll play if we buy him. Hopefully wide left or right and we buy a beast of a striker to rotate with Rashford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Rumoured to leave for Inter, but they've not qualified for European football next season.

I don't think it'll affect anyone signing Griezmann, he must be getting tired of being a nearly man. Also, rumours that Atleti have agreed a deal for Lacazette.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Was it rumoured he'd leave? I have been under the impression he has always said he'd stay till end of next season. Remember he negotiated/reduced his contract to the end of next year.

I highly doubt Simeone's situation is an indication of anything with Griezmann's situation. I'm personally on the fence about Griezmann as im unsure where he'll play if we buy him. Hopefully wide left or right and we buy a beast of a striker to rotate with Rashford.

There were rumblings of a move to Italy. He's been convinced to stay until they are settled in the new stadium. Don't expect to see him there after next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Didnt realise Harrop is 21 - judging frm what I saw of him yesterday, I cant understand how he hasnt made the bench prior to now. The speed he moved the ball on to his right foot for the goal was superb.

• Advertisement

Hope he gets a chance next season.

I wonder will many/any of those younger lads get a look in next season.I thought TFM and Tunzebe should have gotten a lot more minutes this season so I'd doubt if much will change next season.
    Be great if a player or two could do a Rashford and become a regular starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I see I missed another Kane vs Lukaku natter.

Kane is just unavailable and to be honest why we would want to get our pants pulled down by Levy AGAIN is beyond me. Kane and Lukaku arn't miles apart, don't know how people get to that conclusion.

Lukaku has being doing it season after season in teams with **** all real firepower behind him. Lukaku would be easily hitting the same numbers as Kane if the bullets were being supplied by the likes of Erikson.
    I'd say if Spurs go another season empty handed there might be itchy feet in the squad, their wage earnings are much lower then other top teams.

Lukaku is a goal machine, a sure thing, and still not even near his peak. Would fit lovely into our sole striker role and would be affordable and acquirable. Feel that maybe the Jose issue might be a problem there. Kane looks just unobtainable as Lord mentioned.

Personally though I'd be happier if the club went with spending higher $$$ on a sure thing then taking an expensive punt on the likes of Ballotti or Mbappe.

I'd say though transfer speculation or target acquisition is a bit early considering Wednesday. I'd say muck that up and I'd imagine transfer plans are potentially out the window.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I wonder will many/any of those younger lads get a look in next season.I thought TFM and Tunzebe should have gotten a lot more minutes this season so I'd doubt if much will change next season.
    Be great if a player or two could do a Rashford and become a regular starter.

I am a Jose supporter but my one criticism of him this season is his lack of trust in squad and youth players. I think we could have used a few more youth players in a few more games and also used the likes of Sneiderlin, Depay, and Schweinsteiger better.
    Jose is blessed Daley Blind and Darmian didn't drop the head when he effectively exiled them during the winter. They were vital in the last 5 or 6 games. He got lucky there.

I hope he has learned that now but I doubt he has. I wouldn't want to change Jose much but a bit more rotation would be nice.

Lukaku and Sanchez for the price of Kane .I know which I'd prefer ,those 2 would sort out any goalscoring problems right away.

*I know it's unlikely before someone goes mental.

Lukaku and Sanchez for the price of Kane .I know which I'd prefer ,those 2 would sort out any goalscoring problems right away.

*I know it's unlikely before someone goes mental.

We just know a striker is required. Obviously he doesn't trust Martial, I don't think he feels Rashford can lead a title charge, so I just expect one, if not two coming in. Actually really excited about it and who we get.

But I'd say whatever about the finishing this season, the goal contribution from behind the striker has been rubbish.

I'm hoping a settled Mhiki would hit double figures next season, Mata is reliable, but the likes of Martial and Rashford need to contribute more goals. Sanchez on the surface ticks a box in terms of goal return.

Pogba could potentially hit higher numbers too. Looks so much more devastating more advanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United to play Sampdoria in Dublin August 2nd.

Odd but I'll be looking to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Everton want £100 million for Lukaku according to Jim White.

https://twitter.com/jimwhite/status/866579325847560192

I think we will see two high profile sales this Summer in De Gea and Martial. Don't bother posting things like "we would be mad to sell either" because yes I agree that there's no point selling them but I can see the De Gea sale being a formality and the Martial sale depending on a transfer fee. Jose doesn't rate Martial from what I see. And he is a huge asset to just be playing a bit part.

I reckon we could raise £100 million easily in those two sales. Add that to the £100 odd million we normally spend and we could effectively sign two superstars and 3 or 4 really good players.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Everton want ?100 million for Lukaku according to Jim White.

https://twitter.com/jimwhite/status/866579325847560192

No one will pay 100m but id have no problem with 60/70 million.

It's really the start of the silly season now but I hope Jose has all transfers done early again this summer .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Manchester United v Sampdoria in Dublin's Aviva Stadium on 2nd August

• Advertisement

Everton want £100 million, ha ha ha ha ha. Of course they do. Sure don't we all. Problem is you need someone willing to pay it and if anyone pays that for him they are mental.

I'll delete this post in August when we pay that for him.

No one will pay 100m but id have no problem with 60/70 million.

It's really the start of the silly season now but I hope Jose has all transfers done early again this summer .

Didn't he refuse to sign a new contract? Is there only a year left on his old one? No way they will get 100m for him. That's just them setting up for negotiations. I'd say he will end up going to either Chelsea or us for about 60m

Everton want £100 million, ha ha ha ha ha. Of course they do. Sure don't we all. Problem is you need someone willing to pay it and if anyone pays that for him they are mental.

It has long been myth about the cost vs value. It just doesn't exist anymore. And with all the inflation, everyone knowing the money around, of course pricing is going to be high, and chairmen are going to stand firm.

Everyone thinks their players are worth fortunes.

Thought it was another point Souness made that was good earlier in the week. It's been an easy shot to fire on United and Jose, the money spent. As Souness said, you put a United tax on every transfer, because everyone knows United are loaded.

Transfer price does not equal quality or value.

It's basically we just want a player, and that is what both clubs agree. Simple as that. There is no correlation on quality, and there hasn't been any correlation between transfer fees and the value of that to the player, in easily about 10 years at this stage.So its not a new thing either.

Lukaku is going to be pivotal for Everton to make that break into the top 4 if that is there objective, so obviously to lose their star player and striker they will want what they perceive as value.

If the summer starts hard and fast with big money spent on early deals, expect it to be an expensive summer. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a very slow start. I'd imagine chairmen around Europe are looking to see what us, City and Chelsea deem acceptable for our first signings, and that will set pricing around Europe for the summer.

IF we are smart, Ed and co know its a big summer for top clubs, so have stuff already lined up, and just getting deals done early. Don't, and I'd imagine it will be a ****ing slog trying not to get our pants pulled down.

Looking over an old transfer rumour...

Messi has only a year left on his contract and turned down the latest contract offer earlier this month.
    It was said in Spain last December that Adidas along with United were prepared to offer Messi £85 million to not sign a new contract and to move to United when his contract expires, for wages of £42 million a season.
    Adidas were said to be pushing for the move as they are concerned about United's lack of perfomance.

Oscar Grau the CEO of Barcelona said
    We have to be very strict with the budgets, we can’t go crazy.”
    “We need to comply with the ratios of debt and the percentage of salaries in the budget. I want the best player in history to remain here.
    “We will find the way, I am sure, but we have to make the numbers add up.”
    Man City are also linked with a move for Messi.

As Astra said, it's the starting point.

You'll notice around Europe this season all owners and chair people stating mental money for their star players. And why not? Considering the money on offer. It might scare of some people immediately, but then when it gets to the serious clubs, and while they might well start from an outrageous position, its MUCH easier going from higher to lower, then higher FROM lower.

I'd say, somewhat as usual, it will be the first few signings by the big clubs that will dictate the general pricing points for the summer. Unfortunate that we need a top quality striker, going to pay through the nose for that. So might aswell in some cases go big on someone like Kane or Lukaku, something pretty much guaranteed, to test the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Any idea when tickets would be out for the aviva game?

astradave wrote: »
    Didn't he refuse to sign a new contract? Is there only a year left on his old one? No way they will get 100m for him. That's just them setting up for negotiations. I'd say he will end up going to either Chelsea or us for about 60m

Yeah he won't sign a new contract but has 2 season left on his current deal.If Everton want to cash in then this is the summer to do it as his value will only decrease as the contract winds down.
    Everton will look for 100m but I'd expect him to leave for 30m less .
    I'd be very happy with him to be brought into the club this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hococop wrote: »
    Any idea when tickets would be out for the aviva game?

11am 26th May on Ticketmaster

I guess everyone here will want to go to it.

ollie1 wrote: »
    Manchester United v Sampdoria in Dublin's Aviva Stadium on 2nd August

Just a note to Jayo and Astradave,I broke this news a few weeks ago.

#itk.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

In the modern market if anyone wants DDG, goal keeper or not we should flat out ignore anything below £100mn.

11am 26th May on Ticketmaster

If last years Celtic game is anything to go by they'll be pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Billy86 wrote: »
    In the modern market if anyone wants DDG, goal keeper or not we should flat out ignore anything below £100mn.

£100m would never happen for a keeper but DDG is comfortably in the top 3 in his position in the world, arguably occupying the #1 spot.

Our defence is much less porous than it had been so our reliance on him has been substantially less than in seasons past so losing him wouldn't be a killer blow.

All that being said, if Madrid want him then they should pay through the nose for him. We have been pretty much crap when it comes to player sales so unless they are willing to table a minimum of £50 million then they should be told to PFO.

We hold all the aces and have zero need to sell.

An updated leak of the 3rd Jersey is out and it looks a lot better than the earlier version.

Just a note to Jayo and Astradave,I broke this news a few weeks ago.

#itk.:)

Pity you didn't post up who the opponent was or the exact date

#notveryintheknow

Rod Munch wrote: »
    £100m would never happen for a keeper but DDG is comfortably in the top 3 in his position in the world, arguably occupying the #1 spot.

Our defence is much less porous than it had been so our reliance on him has been substantially less than in seasons past so losing him wouldn't be a killer blow.

All that being said, if Madrid want him then they should pay through the nose for him. We have been pretty much crap when it comes to player sales so unless they are willing to table a minimum of £50 million then they should be told to PFO.

We hold all the aces and have zero need to sell.
    I think some vastly underestimate the importance of a keeper like DDG, and how much a team like Real would want Spain's #1 if they were all in for him. That's why I think we should just do a Daniel Levy on it - £100mn to start talking, anything else and f*** off. Losing DDG for less than half the cost of a Lukaku in today's market would be an embarrassingly poor turnaround in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

If united were able to get Navas and decent cash for De Gea I feel you'd be doing very well out of it. Navas has been getting better and better with Real

Bridge93 wrote: »
    If united were able to get Navas and decent cash for De Gea I feel you'd be doing very well out of it. Navas has been getting better and better with Real

Yet he'll never be as good as DDG and is four years older. If we sold DDg to Madrid it would give us a quick turnaround and possibly let him & Romero fight for the starting spot. But I wouldn't be putting a value over £10-15mn on him into that '£100mn or don't bother trying' valuation of DDG. It's a deal where we hold all the cards, so if they don't want to pay up then fine... we'll just hold on to arguably the best GK in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »

They can keep Navas. He was fairly outspoken about not joining Utd before if I remember correctly, but really I'd like to see Romero given a chance. Maybe bring in a back-up or promote from within provided Jose thinks they might be good enough.

Otherwise get someone like Handanovic (no European footy for Inter and shouldn't cost too much) and let him and Romero fight it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement