Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Rod Munch wrote: »
    It's been very quiet in here considering events elsewhere over the weekend.

There are ALOT of people keeping their powder dry in case we win on Wednesday for fear of getting egg on their faces.

Im sure if Ajax turn us over this place will get busy very quickly.

Yeh the only thing that's keeping this place quiet is the final it's the calm before the storm win it loose it will be either yeh it cups don't matter he finished sixth or it will be he fuked up on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Wonder where cork reds are planning on watching the game? Heading into town but want somewhere with a good atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

It's an easy mistake to make. Only a few weeks ago I offered Griezmann a new contract for Reading in my FM2011 save with an increased release fee to ward off interest from other clubs. Set it at 40k instead of 40m. Arsenal signed him instantly, but still bid 13m for some reason which was automatically accepted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

L'Equipe now running the story of Griezmann to us IF we beat Ajax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

jayo26 wrote: »
    I don't mean this in a sh1tty way but what would you prefer? For him to say if we get champs league he will join or that no he won't go anywhere?

To me he is just been as honest as he can without actually saying it depends on Wednesday night.

I would prefer if he didn't say anything at all.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Aye, media frenzy click bait scutter, similar to all the will he won't he nonsense with Pogs last summer, just keep yer trap shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Im in Albufeira Portugal at the moment. Can't wait for Wednesday night, so excited. I reckon we win it 2-0 and everyone who hates Jose regardless comes in to "but the League"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So sad what has happened in Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Aye, media frenzy click bait scutter, similar to all the will he won't he nonsense with Pogs last summer, just keep yer trap shut.

Will have a fair bit of work to do to match Hazard's level when he was leaving Lille, but with his brother in toe I reckon he may have a good crack at it!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Haha imagine been asked on tv and just sitting there in silence.

It don't bother me I don't care the whole media frenzie only bothers you if you allow it to he was asked a question and obviously he is in talks and the season is over so he gave an honest answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

jayo26 wrote: »
    Haha imagine been asked on tv and just sitting there in silence.

It don't bother me I don't care the whole media frenzie only bothers you if you allow it to he was asked a question and obviously he is in talks and the season is over so he gave an honest answer.

It is amazing how you can be so confused about such a simple and straightforward opinion as the one Stringer put forward.

For me, Griezman not joining would be a shock.

I'm gonna go all in and say Griezmann and Bale this Summer. No real reason why, just for funzies.

Edit: And Gaitan, gotta have him at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Time for the club to stand up after tonite, awful news from the men. Hopefully it motivates the lads even more. God love anybody caught up in it all, probably only children too.
    Ill save the rest of my opinion to myself.

• RobertKK wrote: »
    So sad what has happened in Manchester.

Targeting children now, how low can these scumbags go.
    So sad and disturbing.
    Haven't been to a game since last year but even then I had thought security in general was so lax.

Presume United will play with black armbands tomorrow night.
    Everyone will be affected, so senseless and evil.

Again it puts things into perspective :(

With all due respect to everybody, a game of football will and always will be just a game of football regardless of what has just happened. There should be no more relevance put on it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If a player really wants to join a club & believes in it's future, being in the champions league shouldn't be the deciding factor especially when you will be earning a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

GSPfan wrote: »
    For me, Griezman not joining would be a shock.

I'm gonna go all in and say Griezmann and Bale this Summer. No real reason why, just for funzies.

Edit: And Gaitan, gotta have him at some stage.

Don't forget Sneijder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Discodog wrote: »
    If a player really wants to join a club & believes in it's future, being in the champions league shouldn't be the deciding factor especially when you will be earning a fortune.

Yes it should. Some people wNt to play against the very best. That is champions league. You think Rinaldo messing and what not don't have a burning desire to be up against the best

Discodog wrote: »

If you're referring to Griezmann then you need to understand he is negotiating. United makes the CL he joins with a huge wage packet. United don't make CL, he joins seemingly reluctantly after getting a few more percent in his wages as a sweetener. Stop thinking of it from your perspective as a fan. It's his job and livelihood. He will do and say what he needs to do to his benefit. Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Awful, awful stuff. Heart goes out to the families. Poor kids just going to see one of their idols...they'll never come home. :(

I agree with Mick's point, was at a game before Christmas and the security was quite lax I have to say. Would've thought after the bomb-scare at the Bournemouth game at the end of last season that things would've been tightened up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

To believe in a project, you need to see some returns from its side. If we missed CL football for three of the last four years, why would someone at Griezmanns level believe in the clubs future? It's not really unusual for him to want some assurances that the move is the right one for his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

RockSalto wrote: »
    Awful, awful stuff. Heart goes out to the families. Poor kids just going to see one of their idols...they'll never come home. :(

I agree with Mick's point, was at a game before Christmas and the security was quite lax I have to say. Would've thought after the bomb-scare at the Bournemouth game at the end of last season that things would've been tightened up.

I have never ever been searched going into Ireland games. I could genuinely walk into the Aviva with a gun or a backpack of explosives if i wanted to.

I think some players buy into the Manchester United name, the brand, the history and that's where the belief comes from.

At least those are my romantic notions! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭bren2001

monkey9 wrote: »
    I have never ever been searched going into Ireland games. I could genuinely walk into the Aviva with a gun or a backpack of explosives if i wanted to.

Got into OT with 48 golf balls but they took my bottle cap off me when I bought a coke.

Way off topic of United chat but to be honest we live in a world now where people get in trucks and run people down on the street so there's very little we can do to stop awful things like this with security checks. It's a sad part of our lives now. As a 35 year old in Dublin I've lived a sheltered life thank god. Far worse things going on around the world everyday of the week.

• GSPfan wrote: »
    Way off topic of United chat but to be honest we live in a world now where people get in trucks and run people down on the street so there's very little we can do to stop awful things like this with security checks. It's a sad part of our lives now. As a 35 year old in Dublin I've lived a sheltered life thank god. Far worse things going on around the world everyday of the week.

It's kind of not though. Huge Irish presence in Manchester and consistently travel to the games.
    Security needs to be improved massively at the games IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Security going in is OK but what happens if some nut arrives after the game when thousands are leaving the stadium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

No doubt a silence tomorrow night, hopefully well observed.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Security going in is OK but what happens if some nut arrives after the game when thousands are leaving the stadium?

Apparently thats what happened last night. You cannot secure people against that.

zerks wrote: »

Yeah good point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Thoughts with everyone caught up in this tragedy.

Especially heartbreaking with children involved.

Live life lads and lassies, we're just passing through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    L'Equipe now running the story of Griezmann to us IF we beat Ajax.

Anyone else feel uneasy about spending big money on players, that only want to come under certain conditions?

Bit old school mentality perhaps from me, but prefer signing players who want to actually play for a prestigious club.

That sort of stuff bangs of Di Maria. We miss champions league next year and he ****s off?

I'm just not entirely sold on the Griezemann stuff. Just don't think he's worth that money and just massive concerns how he would work out in a Mourinho team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

TheDoc wrote: »
    Anyone else feel uneasy about spending big money on players, that only want to come under certain conditions?

Bit old school mentality perhaps from me, but prefer signing players who want to actually play for a prestigious club.

That sort of stuff bangs of Di Maria. We miss champions league next year and he ****s off?

I'm just not entirely sold on the Griezemann stuff. Just don't think he's worth that money and just massive concerns how he would work out in a Mourinho team.

Griezmann plays for Simeone team, that works harder than any Jose's team. Did you watch him chase the attacker all the way back to RB position to win the ball after he was dispossessed in CL semi finals?

He isn't even system dependent player like few Dortmund players, he did well in Real Sociedad, France National team and for Atletico Madrid.

Not sure why you even brought Di Maria into this as he signed for a team that was not in CL, he ****ed off when we were in CL.

I was at the Southampton and liverpool game this season and I got searched on the road before I got near the stadium and searched and swiped again while entering stadium even the next day we went back to stadium for photos and mega store we got swiped and bags checked going in.

First of all its not my money so couldn't care less what they spend. But yeah its not good blowing all the money in your budget on one player if we feel its best spent elsewhere.

The Di Maria comparison is off. And as far as players wanting to play for United you probably cant get a more obvious United fan in world football outside of Britain than Griezmann.

Griezmann is far from lazy/indisciplined and as said above he is coming from a Simeone team. Your reservations are just your own negative thoughts eating away at you. Have some positivity for Christ sake man! :)

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Griezmann plays for Simeone team, that works harder than any Jose's team. Did you watch him chase the attacker all the way back to RB position to win the ball after he was dispossessed in CL semi finals?

He isn't even system dependent player like few Dortmund players, he did well in Real Sociedad, France National team and for Atletico Madrid.

Not sure why you even brought Di Maria into this as he signed for a team that was not in CL, he ****ed off when we were in CL.

I saw bangs of Di Maria as in they just want the best for themselves and will **** off at a moments sign of struggle.

I did preface it by saying it might be an old mentality or way of thinking from me. But considering that type of player has rarely flourished at our club in recent time, I'd be concerned at a massive outlay, poor return, then the player pushing for a move shortly after.

Can see the positives at the same time, but guess I'm not really in a positive mood when it comes to our team.

I don't watch much of Athletico, but the general consenus from those that do, is that Griezemann has being doing best with a target man. I seem to read a lot of things about him coming to us as a striker for Jose's lone striker role, which sounds impossible and ridiculous.

Sounds like a new set of headaches. Put him at 10 then we are playing 4-2-3-1 with Pogba withdrawn where he performs the worse. Play a 4-3-3 to get the best of Pogba and you are moving Griezemann out wide, whereby you question whats the point buying a 100m player to play out of position. Play him up front alone and I'd say he will struggle.

I'll probably be less worried if I see the clear issues in the team addressed and he is like a cherry on top, whereby its just a nice luxury that you don't feel worried about. I assume he won't come at the expense of actual required improvements in defence and midfield.

Also probably signals the end for either Martial or Mata, should he arrive.

Just looked at what was trending on twitter and Renato Sanchez is trending. Apparently Bayern don't want him and we do. Have never seen him play so have no clue if he is any use or if we need him but the tweeters seem convinced he'd be a good player for us.
    I remember the abuse people in here gave Woodward when we apparently missed out on him. When he joins Liverpool in two months time it'll be de ja veux.

First of all its not my money so couldn't care less what they spend. But yeah its not good blowing all the money in your budget on one player if we feel its best spent elsewhere.

The Di Maria comparison is off. And as far as players wanting to play for United you probably cant get a more obvious United fan in world football outside of Britain than Griezmann.

Griezmann is far from lazy/indisciplined and as said above he is coming from a Simeone team. Your reservations are just your own negative thoughts eating away at you. Have some positivity for Christ sake man! :)

MY Di Maria comparison isn't in terms of the player or how they play, but in terms of the conditions of the transfer.

But I'll bow to greater knowledge if he is a big fan. But maybe you'd think he'd come regardless then if he is such a big United fan?

Anyway as you say, I'm immediately seeing the negative in things with us as opposed the positive. I wouldn't be sitting here snarling if we signed him, clearly a quality player and if we get that sort of Athletico form I'd be laughing.

I just need this season to end whatever which way and get to next season with a clean slate and some positive outlook :D

I'm absolutely dreading tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Just looked at what was trending on twitter and Renato Sanchez is trending. Apparently Bayern don't want him and we do. Have never seen him play so have no clue if he is any use or if we need him but the tweeters seem convinced he'd be a good player for us.
    I remember the abuse people in here gave Woodward when we apparently missed out on him. When he joins Liverpool in two months time it'll be de ja veux.

He's failed to break into the Bayern team and anytime he has featured he has been poor. No doubting the quality there, but the Bayern move hasn't initially worked out at all.

I'd be surprised to hear they want to shift him, unless he is crazy ambitious and thinks he should be playing, or he has some attitude problems. Only 19 so plenty of time for him, but he's been what would constitute "a massive flop" (phrase I hate)

I'd imagine Jose will want a more established midfielder in terms of age and experience. Maybe Van Gaal helped us dodge a bullet there. Seemingly he wasn't entirely convinced by him for the club. Then again, he ****ing pulled the deal on Kroos >: (

Remembered some posts here about Athleticos transfer ban. And just idly reading an article outlining their appeal is being dealt with in like, two weeks time.

He stalling the ball to see what happens with the club? They get hit with a two year transfer ban can maybe see why he would want out this summer. I assume transfer bans are on inbound activity, and not outbound, since that would be, impossible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My opinion is AG is a player making possibly his last big move - and would want to be on the biggest stage. I can understand him being reticent to joining a side outside of the CL at this point of his career - considering he would be leaving a side that has competed at the top end in the league and CL for the last couple of years. If we don't qualify, and he still joined, it could be easily argued it is just for money (as you could argue with Pogba) which imo is a worse attitude than wanting to play in the CL.

My only issue with signing him, or any player, is that it is being done for the right reasons on our part - that he is the player we want to fill a specific role (or roles) in the side moving forward - that we have a tactical blueprint to work from and are finding the players for it.

I loved the Di Maria signing, but it is clear now - and was fairly early - that he was signed without any real plan of how United were going to play. Same with Falcao.

MY Di Maria comparison isn't in terms of the player or how they play, but in terms of the conditions of the transfer.

But I'll bow to greater knowledge if he is a big fan. But maybe you'd think he'd come regardless then if he is such a big United fan?

Anyway as you say, I'm immediately seeing the negative in things with us as opposed the positive. I wouldn't be sitting here snarling if we signed him, clearly a quality player and if we get that sort of Athletico form I'd be laughing.

I just need this season to end whatever which way and get to next season with a clean slate and some positive outlook :D

I'm absolutely dreading tomorrow.

You definitely seem wound up this season. A win on Wednesday will do you good. Delete your account if we lose though.

Look I think when you buy any player for €100 million or whatever you are going to be underwhelmed no matter what. But Griezmann is a solid worker, with great pace on the ball, and is absolutely clinical with his finishing. You won't hear me say too much about players in here cause I don't watch non United games with a critical eye but I'm a fan of Griezmann and have been watching him closely for a few years.

However, I would be worried if he is played as a lone striker. Ideally I want Rashford and a new striker (Bale please :)) as our front options with a selection of Griezmann, Mkhitaryan, Mata, Lingard, Martial behind them.
    Griezmann played great for France during the Euros playing off Giroud. Finds lots of space and arrives in the box at the right time. As a lone striker he would struggle. Imo.

By the way Griezmann idolised Beckham growing up. The number 7 shirt and his first interview telling us how he has dreamed of pulling on a United shirt since a boy will calm your fears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Agree with Mitch 100%.
    Buy players for the style/tactics the team want to use and not buy big names for the sake of it and try to shoehorn them into the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I had a dream about a Renato Sanchez like player in a United shirt last night. I never dream about anything like that. Cue a serious bout of deja vu in the foreseeable future.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Agree with Mitch 100%.
    Buy players for the style/tactics the team want to use and not buy big names for the sake of it and try to shoehorn them into the team.

I agree too but with that logic do we apply it to the sale of players too?

The reason I ask is because I think Martial is in trouble. He doesn't seem to do what Jose wants and I think he'll be sold. Will people give the same allowance for understanding the sale of Martial because he doesn't fit tactically? I hope so. I doubt it though. People will be screaming bloody murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

My opinion is AG is a player making possibly his last big move - and would want to be on the biggest stage. I can understand him being reticent to joining a side outside of the CL at this point of his career - considering he would be leaving a side that has competed at the top end in the league and CL for the last couple of years. If we don't qualify, and he still joined, it could be easily argued it is just for money (as you could argue with Pogba) which imo is a worse attitude than wanting to play in the CL.

My only issue with signing him, or any player, is that it is being done for the right reasons on our part - that he is the player we want to fill a specific role (or roles) in the side moving forward - that we have a tactical blueprint to work from and are finding the players for it.

I loved the Di Maria signing, but it is clear now - and was fairly early - that he was signed without any real plan of how United were going to play. Same with Falcao.

With the way the team played this season and the amount of chances created Di Maria and Falcao would have suited the team perfectly,but ya when they were signed by LVG,it was great at the time but as you said things went stale fairly quickly and we didnt see the best of both players

There is also talk that Barcelona would sell Neymar for £100 million.
    They need money and less wages to give Messi what he is demanding with 1 year left on Messi's contract.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    There is also talk that Barcelona would sell Neymar for £100 million.
    They need money and less wages to give Messi what he is demanding with 1 year left on Messi's contract.

£100 million, yes please. Sure that's a bargain in the Lukaku market values.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement