Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

RobertKK wrote: »
    There is also talk that Barcelona would sell Neymar for £100 million.
    They need money and less wages to give Messi what he is demanding with 1 year left on Messi's contract.

If that is true then it changes mine and I'm sure others here perspective on signing him.
    Would have to seriously consider it for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

TheDoc wrote: »
    I saw bangs of Di Maria as in they just want the best for themselves and will **** off at a moments sign of struggle.

I did preface it by saying it might be an old mentality or way of thinking from me. But considering that type of player has rarely flourished at our club in recent time, I'd be concerned at a massive outlay, poor return, then the player pushing for a move shortly after.

Can see the positives at the same time, but guess I'm not really in a positive mood when it comes to our team.

I don't watch much of Athletico, but the general consenus from those that do, is that Griezemann has being doing best with a target man. I seem to read a lot of things about him coming to us as a striker for Jose's lone striker role, which sounds impossible and ridiculous.

Sounds like a new set of headaches. Put him at 10 then we are playing 4-2-3-1 with Pogba withdrawn where he performs the worse. Play a 4-3-3 to get the best of Pogba and you are moving Griezemann out wide, whereby you question whats the point buying a 100m player to play out of position. Play him up front alone and I'd say he will struggle.

I'll probably be less worried if I see the clear issues in the team addressed and he is like a cherry on top, whereby its just a nice luxury that you don't feel worried about. I assume he won't come at the expense of actual required improvements in defence and midfield.

Also probably signals the end for either Martial or Mata, should he arrive.

Fair enough but this is completely different scenario. Madrid wanted to offload Di Maria whereas Griezmann team is desperate for him to stay.

Also I don't think there is any problem with 4-2-3-1. We play lot of average teams (in fact apart from top 6-7 every team is average), around 24-26 in league and also top 6 at home where we play on front foot, so we cal switch to 4-2-3-1 in those games and play 4-3-3 away from home vs top teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

RobertKK wrote: »
    There is also talk that Barcelona would sell Neymar for £100 million.
    They need money and less wages to give Messi what he is demanding with 1 year left on Messi's contract.

As much as I personally dislike Neymar's character and antics on the pitch, that is the sort of transfer that borderline feels no brainer. Creativity and goals guaranteed.

Seems to be a bit of a "potentially problematic Brazillian"? I've been quietly speculating if he will be one of those epic Brazillian players, or like an Adriano. Seemingly he loves a party and a poison?

Also remember we had minor chats about that ****head leftback they have Jordi Alba. Did you see the state of his dive at the weekend?

Was actually delighted Madrid won. Whatever about them being my "team if I was Spanish" Barcalona rub me up the wrong way and I'm delighted when they get stuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

GSPfan wrote: »
    I agree too but with that logic do we apply it to the sale of players too?

The reason I ask is because I think Martial is in trouble. He doesn't seem to do what Jose wants and I think he'll be sold. Will people give the same allowance for understanding the sale of Martial because he doesn't fit tactically? I hope so. I doubt it though. People will be screaming bloody murder.

I think it probably should go both ways.
    If a player isn't going to fit into the set up and there is a good deal for the club then it's probably best to move them on and get in a player(s) who fit the roles needed.

Would hate to see Martial go but we have to trust the manager and hope they know the bigger picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

To think the average age of the people killed might be less than 20 years old, so much of their life ahead of them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Ain't no way no how Neymar is going to Man U, don't do it to yourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I would worry for how Rashford fits into any Jose tactics in memory . . I think he will be a superb player and his application will mean he will fullfill his potential (unlike Rooney) but I am not sure if he wont get frustrated faciliting uniteds major focal point (Zlatan, Griezman?!) for the next few years. .

Looking at the bookies, De Gea and Rodriguez going different ways looks practically like a done deal. . De Gea being relegated to meaningless league games for the last month would suggest his head was turned.

Romero has done well and doesn't deserve to be dropped, but top coaches always bring back their big players in latter stages of competitions. They don't do "loyalty" or who deserves to play, they play their best players. I don't believe De Gea is not playing in Europe because Romero deserves to be in the team, nothing Jose does suggests he would leave his best player in a set position, on the bench out of loyalty to another player. Jose plays to win, so I can only imagine, if De Gea is on the bench tomorrow, hes as good as gone to Madrid .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Ain't no way no how Neymar is going to Man U, don't do it to yourselves

If he ever leaves Barca we are as best placed as anyone. But this Neymar thing is not new for us so you won't see anyone in here getting excited with any seriousness. Leave that to other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Neymar is just a possibility, something Ed has been working on for near two years now.
    Then to quote Taylor Swift, it could be 'like driving a new Maserati down a dead end street'.

Which I think is what most people feel is how it will end up.
    Going nowhere, but one never knows.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    I would worry for how Rashford fits into any Jose tactics in memory . . I think he will be a superb player and his application will mean he will fullfill his potential (unlike Rooney) but I am not sure if he wont get frustrated faciliting uniteds major focal point (Zlatan, Griezman?!) for the next few years. .

Looking at the bookies, De Gea and Rodriguez going different ways looks practically like a done deal. . De Gea being relegated to meaningless league games for the last month would suggest his head was turned.

Romero has done well and doesn't deserve to be dropped, but top coaches always bring back their big players in latter stages of competitions. They don't do "loyalty" or who deserves to play, they play their best players. I don't believe De Gea is not playing in Europe because Romero deserves to be in the team, nothing Jose does suggests he would leave his best player in a set position, on the bench out of loyalty to another player. Jose plays to win, so I can only imagine, if De Gea is on the bench tomorrow, hes as good as gone to Madrid .

Don't know why you are worried for Rashford as he has grown throughout the season and ended his second succesful season as a first team player under two very different managers. Rashford is still a kid, if he gets frustrated and stroppy now then he is not the star we think he is.

Romero is playing the final because he deserves it. De Gea is probably gone but even if he isn't I'm glad Romero is playing. Shows a bit of respect Jose has which people assume he has none of.

Rashford looks as grounded as a sycamore tree, a tree I never saw uprooted.
    He has a good head on his shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

"DDG relegated to meaningless league games" makes no sense when Romero started every EL game of the entire season all the way back to September, if I recall?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Just seen on Twitter that Jose's press conference ahead of the final tomorrow has been cancelled in light of yesterday's incident in Manchester.

I understand that it is an incredibly sad day for us all but if we're not speaking out, then hate wins. I think it's important that Jose and everybody else involved spreads even a few words of love, kindness and unity. Silence achieves nothing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Neymar has qualities but by god his diving, wastefulness and selfishness would be hard to stomach personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just seen on Twitter that Jose's press conference ahead of the final tomorrow has been cancelled in light of yesterday's incident in Manchester.

I understand that it is an incredibly sad day for us all but if we're not speaking out, then hate wins. I think it's important that Jose and everybody else involved spreads even a few words of love, kindness and unity. Silence achieves nothing imo

I don't mean this harshly but it's not his job to spread love in that way he more then likely a shocked human being same as the rest of Manchester and in the light if what happened it would be wrong to be asking questions about a football match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Ideally I want Rashford and a new striker (Bale please :))

This is maybe the 2nd or 3rd time I have seen this written, do people really consider Bale a striker? I'd love to see him come to the club but I don't consider him a striker at all.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't aren't you. Maybe people should just stop looking for reasons to criticise everyone's actions so close to a major tragedy. Nothing more soulless than a football press conference anyway. Horrible forum for any significant message of support.

This is maybe the 2nd or 3rd time I have seen this written, do people really consider Bale a striker? I'd love to see him come to the club but I don't consider him a striker at all.

Id say I've wrote it 3 times so it could just be me you're reading!

Well yeah I do actually. He played there for Spurs in his last season. He played there for Wales I'm sure. He is good in the air and is dangerous as hell. Id want him up front instead of playing left wing back forward in a Jose system. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

I don't think he's ever played as a striker for Wales. Did he play up from for Spurs? Thought he was a left winger for Spurs - that's his best position by far.

Incidentally, he started of as a left back so could do a job as a wing-back :)

Everyone here is likely feeling sad today, and while tomorrow's match is very important, I think United did the right thing with the press conference.
    It said the lives of the people mattered more than a match for the people of Manchester, because everyone's minds are with the innocent victims of a most horrendous crime, and I don't think tomorrow's match is what a lot of United fans are thinking about today as in the first thing they think about.
    So many beautiful lives wiped out, others with life changing injuries.

Tomorrow people will take time out and hope United bring a ray of light back to Manchester.

RockSalto wrote: »
    I don't think he's ever played as a striker for Wales. Did he play up from for Spurs? Thought he was a left winger for Spurs - that's his best position by far.

I'm nearly sure bale always plays striker for Wales mate.

If Bale is a striker, then so is James Rodriguez.

Angel di Maria has had his home searched by anti corruption police ... That club is rotten to the core.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

You play Bale up top and you take away a big part of his game, his pace.
    You want him running at goal not with his back to it.

He plays more of a second striker role for Wales than a traditional striker.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure bale always plays striker for Wales mate.

Hal Robson Kanu and Sam Vokes are the target men. Bale plays in the hole with Ramsey.

RockSalto wrote: »

I thought he did. Not gonna argue with anyone who disputes it as I don't watch Welsh games. I defo remember him playing for Spurs as a striker near the end of his time there. Maybe my memory is faulty.

I personally think he'd be a great striking option as he plays multiple positions and it allows more room for Rashford to go central if need be.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hal Robson Kanu and Sam Vokes are the target men. Bale plays in the hole with Ramsey.

Screen-_Shot-2016-06-19-at-9.00.18-_AM.png line up vs Russia last summer

Screen-_Shot-2016-06-10-at-9.22.11-_AM.png line up vs England Last summer

• Advertisement

I thought he did. Not gonna argue with anyone who disputes it as I don't watch Welsh games. I defo remember him playing for Spurs as a striker near the end of his time there. Maybe my memory is faulty.

I personally think he'd be a great striking option as he plays multiple positions and it allows more room for Rashford to go central if need be.

I just remember him playing striker for spurs and scoring that goal against Villa.

101 great goals what a great source.

He played more of second striker behind Defoe & Adebayor towards the end of his last season at spurs too.

Ok how about this then to solve all problems......

Front 3 of Griezmann, Rashford, Bale

In front of Pogba, Fabinho, and Herrera.

£200 million spent, Pogba gets the 3 man midfield he seems to need. Herrera our real club captain stays in the team. Rashford plays up top. Griezmann and Bale are slight upgrades on Mata and Lingard :). And a brand new Defensive midfielder named Fabinho joins the party.

Lets all agree and I'll send it to Jose now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Ok how about this then to solve all problems......

Front 3 of Griezmann, Rashford, Bale

In front of Pogba, Fabinho, and Herrera.

£200 million spent, Pogba gets the 3 man midfield he seems to need. Herrera our real club captain stays in the team. Rashford plays up top. Griezmann and Bale are slight upgrades on Mata and Lingard :). And a brand new Defensive midfielder named Fabinho joins the party.

Lets all agree and I'll send it to Jose now.

I thought Fabhino was a RB?

Angel di Maria has had his home searched by anti corruption police ... That club is rotten to the core.

More burglar problems...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

KH25 wrote: »

Can play RB or CDM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

What he allegedly do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So, starting 11 for tomorrow night. Everyone agree ?!

Man United:
    Romero (although leaving out DDG is a big call)
    Valencia, Blind, Smalling, Darmian
    Fellaini Herrera Pogba Lingard Mkhataryan
    Rashford

(Zlatan and Bailly are big losses)
    Ajax:
    Onana
    Tete Sanchez de Ligt Riedewald
    Klaassen Schone Younes
    Traore Dolberg Ziyech

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    101 great goals what a great source.

He played more of second striker behind Defoe & Adebayor towards the end of his last season at spurs too.

It's not my source my source is watching him play for wales I said it before I looked it up and they were the first line-up photos to come along.

KH25 wrote: »

Right back and defensive midfield.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

For the record, I think putting Rashford as our #1 going forward is a disaster of an idea, and is part of why we are where we are.

He's got a world of potential. But he's so far from the finished product. We NEED a striker who guarantees us 20+ goals a season at a canter, and Rashford is not that yet.

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    What he allegedly do?

Not sure but anti corruption is probably a clue ;)

Maybe gambling or something?

Screen-_Shot-2016-06-19-at-9.00.18-_AM.png line up vs Russia last summer

Screen-_Shot-2016-06-10-at-9.22.11-_AM.png line up vs England Last summer

Well from memory the second image is questionable. Certainly on the pitch that day Robson-Kanu was the most advanced player and Gunter/Taylor certainly aimed for him while Bale lurked outside/around the box as Ramsey ran in. Or if they neglected full backs they worked it through Allen/Ramsey into Bale who then advanced forward while Robson-Kanu tried to draw defenders away.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well from memory the second image is questionable. Certainly on the pitch that day Robson-Kanu was the most advanced player and Gunter/Taylor certainly aimed for him while Bale lurked outside/around the box as Ramsey ran in. Or if they neglected full backs they worked it through Allen/Ramsey into Bale who then advanced forward while Robson-Kanu tried to draw defenders away.

You're right Robson Kanu was more advanced than Bale.
    Tactical lineups that day http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/euro/2016/2017887_tl.pdf

Russia game
    http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/euro/2016/2017896_tl.pdf

Those are not the positions of a striker or we can include Ramsey as a striker too then ?

eDouqI3.png

JMzRGkf.png

Lord TSC wrote: »
    For the record, I think putting Rashford as our #1 going forward is a disaster of an idea, and is part of why we are where we are.

He's got a world of potential. But he's so far from the finished product. We NEED a striker who guarantees us 20+ goals a season at a canter, and Rashford is not that yet.

I 100% agree and disagree with you.

Saying its part of why we are where we are is confusing as he hasn't played there???

I reckon Rashford up top for a season will get you 20+ goals. Now that's with a scenario of a fully functioning team behind him. This last 5 games with a team limping to a finish is no indication of anything with Rashford. Only an indication that Jose needs to manage better next year for these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,659 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wondered would the final be postponed

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    You're right Robson Kanu was more advanced than Bale.
    Tactical lineups that day http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/euro/2016/2017887_tl.pdf

Russia game
    http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/euro/2016/2017896_tl.pdf

Those are not the positions of a striker or we can include Ramsey as a striker too then ?

eDouqI3.png

JMzRGkf.png

I'm relieved my memory is better than I thought.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

No.

That would be bowing to the terrorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ajax are club with big Jewish following. So for people wondering if they may have few booing before game it wont be lot, if any.

To be honest I hope its minute applause, because you will have gob****es looking for excuse to have pop at their fans.

I would rather Politics be kept far away from football for tomorrow but I would love if United could do it for its City tomorrow night.

Just one last rant. Im starting to hate people who are more concerned about what chants are being sung or what spending game hoping opposition fans do somthing so they can get dig in.

Hence why want applause tomorrow cause if few idiots do boo then some fools will see it as rant of majority of decent fans who just want their team to lift a European Trophy

Had to get it off my chest

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Lord TSC wrote:

Completely agree, Romero deserves a shot at number 1 ahead of Rashford.

At least O'Shea put in the effort to put the gloves on during a game.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

The Dortmund team had a bomb go off the day before a match and injure a player. The match went ahead. This won't be postponed for an incident not connected.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement