Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The mother of all match threads required....

I'm two for two for cup final threads so will jump on the grenade later.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Lord TSC wrote: »
    To believe in a project, you need to see some returns from its side. If we missed CL football for three of the last four years, why would someone at Griezmanns level believe in the clubs future? It's not really unusual for him to want some assurances that the move is the right one for his career.

And that should hang on the result of one match ? Surely he has enough knowledge to decide if we are going in the right direction ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Zlatan did fine up front, the secondary players not contributing enough was our problem. Deli Alli scored 18 goals, Martial, Mata, Rashford and Mkhitaryan scored 19 goals.

17 goals in 28 games
    29 goals in 30 games

yeah Zlatan did well and he was our best player, but Kane right now is nearly twice as potent. He also creates loads of chances, his movement is excellent and he's only going to get better.

Yes our secondary players were crap this year and Zlatan was by a distance our best goal scorer, but there's no doubt had we had Kane over Zlatan we' be far better off this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Confirmed teams for Carricks testimonial

As follows:

Man Utd ’08 XI:
    Manager: Sir Alex Ferguson
    Edwin van der Sar
    Gary Neville
    Rio Ferdinand
    Paul Scholes
    Ryan Giggs
    Nemanja Vidić
    Wayne Rooney
    Wes Brown
    Owen Hargreaves
    Ji Sung Park
    Mikaël Silvestre
    Louis Saha
    Darren Fletcher
    Michael Carrick

Michael Carrick All Star XI:
    Manager: Harry Redknapp
    Steven Gerrard
    Frank Lampard
    Michael Owen
    John Terry
    Jamie Carragher
    Phil Neville
    Robbie Keane
    Míchel Salgado
    Shay Given
    Éric Abidal
    Damien Duff
    Gaizka Mendieta
    Eidur Gudjohnsen
    as stated on: http://www.manutd.com/en/Home/Tickets%20And%20Hospitality/Michael%20Carrick%20Testimonial/Michael%20Carrick%20Testimonial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

United squad training at the stadium for final tomorrow night.

Lingard
    Herrera
    De Gea
    Mata
    Romero
    Rojo
    Smalling
    Rashford
    Tuanzebe
    Fellaini
    Carrick
    Rooney
    Pogba
    Mkhitaryan
    Young
    Shaw
    Blind
    Pereira
    Martial
    Bailly
    Jones
    Fosu-Mensah
    Darmian
    Valencia

Obviously bailly is suspended but still trained with first team squad ahead of final its a good touch from management to keep the players together

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

jayo26 wrote: »
    United squad training at the stadium for final tomorrow night.

Lingard
    Herrera
    De Gea
    Mata
    Romero
    Rojo
    Smalling
    Rashford
    Tuanzebe
    Fellaini
    Carrick
    Rooney
    Pogba
    Mkhitaryan
    Young
    Shaw
    Blind
    Pereira
    Martial
    Bailly
    Jones
    Fosu-Mensah
    Darmian
    Valencia

Isn't he supposed to be out til September?

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Isn't he supposed to be out til September?

Probably just spotted in stadium all the team walked on pitch.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Probably just spotted in stadium all the team walked on pitch.

Hopes were raised, and then expertly dashed.

Hopes were raised, and then expertly dashed.

Sorry my fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Discodog wrote:
    And that should hang on the result of one match ? Surely he has enough knowledge to decide if we are going in the right direction ?

Are ye going in the right direction though? 6th place aside ye spent more money than nearly everyone who finished above ye. Jaysus Liverpool finished way behind ye last season yet the money seemed to bring ye backwards.

Is united really getting better under Jose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr.H wrote: »
    Are ye going in the right direction though? 6th place aside ye spent more money than nearly everyone who finished above ye. Jaysus Liverpool finished way behind ye last season yet the money seemed to bring ye backwards.

Created loads more chances. Should gave scored far more and won far more, particularly at home. The players screwing up was more to blame this season than previous ones - though I certainly have questions regarding some of Jose's decisions particularly last third of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Mr.H wrote: »

You dont really believe that ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He ain't leaving Spurs anytime soon, and why would he, they are on the up a whole lot quicker than United.

United are also on the up, albeit at a snail's pace.
    Guess it's a matter of money. Seems he was only on £35k per week in 2015/6, and also seems Daniel Levy is very loathe to pay more than £100k a week to anyone. Kane has definitely made massive progress at Spurs, but the best strikers tend to like to prove themselves at more than one club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

If I were United Id throw a bid of £90 million in for Kane and get it out there we will pay him £200k a week. If anything it would just piss Daniel Levy off and we can all agree he deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Oh absolutely. At the very least we should be trying to unsettle him and get the media monster roaring.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

GSPfan wrote: »
    If I were United Id throw a bid of £90 million in for Kane and get it out there we will pay him £200k a week. If anything it would just piss Daniel Levy off and we can all agree he deserves it.

Win tomorrow night and throw in a bid first thing Thursday morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Is match only on BT sports tomorrow night?

If yes would pubs with Sky sports be showing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Why wait? Kane 9 shirt held up by Jose as the trophy is passed around the players.
    Camera cuts to Woodie doing the "call me" gesture with his hand.

I think it's free to air, so maybe on TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

paulbok wrote: »
    Why wait? Kane 9 shirt held up by Jose as the trophy is passed around the players.
    Camera cuts to Woodie doing the "call me" gesture with his hand.

Don't be daft!

It'll be Kane 10.... wazza won't be around to argue either way

jackwigan wrote: »
    United can pay him more for one. Sure Spurs are the better team right now but Dortmund were better than Munich for a few years not so long ago and then they sold some of their best directly to their rivals, a bigger club.

You take him out of their team and into United's and I think it's United who would be challenging properly for the title. All season long we've created chances but not had someone bar Zlatan to finish.

Makes all the sense in the world to me to use the financial muscle advantage and sign one of the few English players who are world class. And yes he would come at a huge price but personally would consider it value if he continues the form he's shown for 3 years now.

Sure United can throw more money at Kane, and fair point Dortmund being better than Munich a few seasons ago. But United also threw money at Di Maria, and well regardless of Van Gaal being manager at the time, United got burned. And I'd have the same level of weariness of Kane if United decided to throw insane amounts of money at him as much of an improvement he's made the last 3 seasons.

I'm not ruling out Kane moving to United, definitely not this summer anyways, next Summer MAYBE if Spurs can't get the job done in the Premier League.
    Beasty wrote: »
    Guess it's a matter of money. Seems he was only on £35k per week in 2015/6, and also seems Daniel Levy is very loathe to pay more than £100k a week to anyone. Kane has definitely made massive progress at Spurs, but the best strikers tend to like to prove themselves at more than one club.

Well if Daniel Levy wants to keep hold of 2 of the best English players in recent memory in Kane & Alli, then he's gonna have to loosen the proverbial purse strings and splash that cash in terms of wages for them. And Levy's a tough son of a bitch with negotiations, case in point, the Gareth Bale to Real saga 4 years ago.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Don't be daft!

It'll be Kane 10.... wazza won't be around to argue either way

Uh Griezmann?

Or does he have a shirt number preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Uh Griezmann?

Or does he have a shirt number preference?

Yeah, Beckham was his hero. He will be getting number 7 ðŸ˜႒

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's on TV3.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It's also going to be on YouTube for free afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Am i the only one not sold on Kane? Still not convinced he's top drawer, please don't take the head of me for having that opinion but i'm worried if we get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Am i the only one not sold on Kane? Still not convinced he's top drawer, please don't take the head of me for having that opinion but i'm worried if we get him.

He's the best striker in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I see where you are coming from in that, the Spurs team is set up for and built around him.

We already have the player (Pogba) that we need to be setting up for and building around as he has the potential to be right up there and in Martial we have a striker who also has incredible potential, through the middle. Not to mention Rashford.

I have said already I'd be happy to go with Martial up top next year as the main man. The support line needs to be chipping in with more goals though in that case, in any case really. AG coming in would be perfectly acceptable for that and take Lingards/Mata's place.

A frontline of Rashford, Martial and Griezemann would be exciting on paper and all are interchangeable really.

A dedicated DM is needed to combat/control the midfield to allow Pogba do what he does best, the movement up front combined with his eye for a pass would surely pay dividends.

I like Kane, I just see him as out of reach for a couple of reasons and I would certainly feel the club should be able to find suitable alternatives to him.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He's scored over 20 goals a season 3 seasons in a row in the PL. He's clearly top class.

If you're not sold on him then you'd struggle to be sold on anyone. You can talk all you want about your Aubameyangs and Mbappes, but Harry Kane is the safest bet for United if they wanted to spend mega bucks on a striker.

Also, we aren't getting him so don't be worried. Pure messing going on in here to keep our minds occupied while we get closer to doomsday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

We already have the player (Pogba) that we need to be setting up for and building around as he has the potential to be right up there and in Martial we have a striker who also has incredible potential, through the middle. Not to mention Rashford.

I kind of get it when you say team built around pogba, in that he needs players around him to give him the freedom for his strengths to shine through. But surely that applies to the two midfielders he plays alongside and doesn't dictate how we set up the three in front of the midfield three.

I don't believe in a team being built around an individual, a proper team should function as just that, where players together function as greater than the sum of their parts. Pogba supplying Kane and having runners to feed would be a joy to behold IMO.

Lots of speculation over who we will sign and where they will play, if we added Kane and a midfield anchor for front 6 I'd be over the moon.

At this stage its pie in the sky stuff, with a lot of speculation and nothing concrete over who we will add and whether Martial will leave.

Liam O wrote: »
    He's scored over 20 goals a season 3 seasons in a row in the PL. He's clearly top class.

Ya, whatever about his suitability or availability you can't argue with his numbers. He has 78 league goals in 101 starts + 12 sub appearances.

Those are serious numbers and at 23 years of age you would think he can only get better

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Do you all remember our debates around spending £40 million on Kane after that first season? I think there was a universal cry of restraint on that rumour.

Maybe should of took a punt what?!

Do you all remember our debates around spending £40 million on Kane after that first season? I think there was a universal cry of restraint on that rumour.

:) Meh, for every Harry Kane there are dozens of Andy Carrolls

A twitter rumour with Marca as a source. Its a double negative. Must be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I wanted him then, I remember some thought that price was expensive, and only 1 season.

He's the best striker in the league.

Aguero streets ahead for me. Zlatan's better for me. I'd have Costa at a similar level to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Aguero streets ahead for me. Zlatan's better for me. I'd have Costa at a similar level to him.

Aguero is ahead. Zlatan is 12 years older and will be 36 when he returns from a cruciate injury, he's not going to be better than Kane ob his return. Costa, meh. Would rather Kane all day to him in terms of ability and mentality.

His performances for England(granted they're ****e) and in Europe not giving anybody cause for concern? Genuinely think he's suited perfectly by how Spurs are playing and doesn't actually have the high level of attributes of other strikers. I'd have his positioning as arguably the only attribute he has up there with the best.

• Advertisement

Ross Barkley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ross Barkley

Terry Phelan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Kane is at best the 3rd best striker in the league? I don't think so. Ibrahimovic, for all his goals,missed many a sitter throughout the season and he's now finished at the top level. Kane is a far more natural goalscorer than Costa too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hopefully today we win the Europa League.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Score first today and take our chances to add a second and I know we'll end up winning. I don't expect us to keep them scoreless,but I'd be very surprised if we conceded more then once in this final. We're a side who are very solid defensively.

Concede first though and I think with the lack of goals in the side,it'll be difficult to imagine us winning it in any other way then on penaltys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

How do ppl expect us to line up up top? I can see Jose picking lingard ahead of Mata and martial.

Fellaini Herrera pogba
    Mkhi Rashford lingard

I'd personally love to see martial start, hopefully play like the martial of last season and terrorise their defence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

His performances for England(granted they're ****e) and in Europe not giving anybody cause for concern? Genuinely think he's suited perfectly by how Spurs are playing and doesn't actually have the high level of attributes of other strikers. I'd have his positioning as arguably the only attribute he has up there with the best.

I actually wouldn't rate his positioning as highly as other aspects of his game. He's relentless in pursuit of goals. Similar to current Ronaldo in style in that he is always looking for ways to score rather than overly pursuing the team aspect of the attack. Not to say he ignores it but it's secondary to him.

His style translates better than the likes of Lukaku's would. Kane has shown that he can play with other very good players and not impact overly on their ability to score and create whereas Lukaku seems to need the ball to come his way a lot more to be prolific.

Also, Kane has scored all of these goals at the age of 21, 22 and 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

"Woke up this morning feeling fine...."

Today's the day folks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Nerves been building with a couple of days, this is massive.

Champions League football is feckin essential to help United get out ofbtheir three year slump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement