Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

RobertKK wrote: »

Would be an unreal signing but we still need that out right striker like Lukaku for example to go along with Griezmann.

Getting Griezmann on his own would be a waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

GSPfan wrote: »
    Im soooooooooo relieved.

That's my primary emotion. Feels like we got out of jail free. Very happy too though.

Agreed. Nice way to end a ridiculously frustrating season, and was a seriously nice change of pace to do it in a relatively stress free, even if uneventful, manner. Also nice to round out all of the titles with the UEFA/Europa, but let's not pretend we won a huge competition tonight, that's what we would previously have mocked other "once great" clubs for, for having such low expectations. We got out CL place, we won a bit of silverware in doing so, but most importantly we're back in the big one and have serious sway in the transfer market to do what needs to be done with a manager I have faith can do it, knows who to get, and knows who to get rid of, with that extra boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Rooney and carrick have won it all bar the super cup?

I know the way I'm asking means they haven't won it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

3 of the back 4 weren't first choice and were playing in front of our 2nd keeper.

Its not like they were inexperienced!!

DeGea was available also so that was a decision made. Smalling has had a pretty good season imo. Valencia always reliable. Darmian and Blind were suppose to be first choice players when signed.

Listen ye deserved the win I mean that well done (sincerely)

All I am saying is that was a very poor display. 4 shots on target and 30% possession against (albeit talented) kids!!

If United were let off the leash tonight they could have destroyed Ajax. Sanchez was class but apart from him they were very suspect at the back and United did not prove that.

Instead we got the same lob ball to Mr Elbows again from Jose.

Why would top class players want to play in that kinda system. I mean would Bale ever win Balon Dor playing that kind of football?

An easy ride to the final (doesnt take away from the win) does not hide the fact under Jose their has been no improvement in style

Suits him perfectly, his pace and dribbling 2 of his stronger attributes.

And who from United actually dried to take players on tonight aside from Rashford? Will Griezman play by himself up front for ye?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Mr.H wrote: »
    Ah come on all I have been hearing is how United are progressing under Jose and that display was as shocking as the rest of the season.

That team should have destroyed Ajax and under the right manager would have.

Keeping the mighty Dolberg at bay was the reason for being that defensive?? I mean come on your not exactly gonna be like "well Griezmann what ya think about that?"

Winning two trophies and having a higher points total than last year isn't progression?

Kloop has managed no trophies and a squeaked top 4 finish.

I presume that's not progression either going by your unidentifiable metrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My sister sent me this. It was on her facebook

"Manchester United winning the Europa League is a lot like in a video game where after you finish the game you go back to an earlier area and face enemies of a lower level to complete a side quest and get a piece of equipment that you forgot about."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Winning two trophies and having a higher points total than last year isn't progression?

And they had no European football. Neither did Conte and he win league and in final of cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

DeGea was available also so that was a decision made. Smalling has had a pretty good season imo. Valencia always reliable. Darmian and Blind were suppose to be first choice players when signed.

All I am saying is that was a very poor display. 4 shots on target and 30% possession against (albeit talented) kids!!

If United were let off the leash tonight they could have destroyed Ajax. Sanchez was class but apart from him they were very suspect at the back and United did not prove that.

Why would top class players want to play in that kinda system. I mean would Bale ever win Balon Dor playing that kind of football?

An easy ride to the final (doesnt take away from the win) does not hide the fact under Jose their has been no improvement in style

You get nothing for playing scintillating football in a final. It's all about winning, no matter how you do it. There have been very few classic finals in recent years.

United won extremely comfortably and never had to go up a gear. I'd rather win ugly than lose beautifully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Delighted with that didn't seem much the game cause was working but heard it all and by sounds of it we where never really in trouble.

My only issue tonight was I couldn't ****ing bare the Rip Manchester ****e BT kept shoving down everyone's throat so had to listen to Tv3!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

DR5x53.gif

And they had no European football. Neither did Conte and he win league and in final of cup

Ya but does Conte abandon any idea of a cohesive defence and add in the gurn and hug?

That's the mark of a really top top top top manager.

They don't win trophies like but they give great hugs.

Well to me gaining top 4 when we were far from it is progression for Liverpool but this is nothing to do with "we are better than ye". I am not trying to compare both teams. I am merely pointing out that Jose is not exactly giving ye the attacking football ye think he is.

And if you really think ye are better placed league results wise...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

After that display though do you really think Griezmann is thinking he cant wait to play for the mighty Jose side? 4 shots and 30% possession against kids

I'd imagine he's thinking he could be playing champions league football next season and get paid shed loads of money to do it. I'd also imagine he's thinking that if he's lucky enough to get to a final he'll be playing for a manager that knows how to win them.

duffman13 wrote: »
    You get nothing for playing scintillating football in a final. It's all about winning, no matter how you do it. There have been very few classic finals in recent years.

United won extremely comfortably and never had to go up a gear. I'd rather win ugly than lose beautifully.

Cant you do both??

Fergie won and played great football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Well to me gaining top 4 when we were far from it is progression for Liverpool but this is nothing to do with "we are better than ye". I am not trying to compare both teams. I am merely pointing out that Jose is not exactly giving ye the attacking football ye think he is.

Well see how you get on next season when you have a few more games to play. Won't be so easy for you lot next season believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lads and lassies I'm not taking him seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

There's been enough games this season that United have dominated only to end up 1-1. Mourinho did what was necessary to win the final. The system isn't set in stone and if Griezmann and Bale etc were to join then I would expect United to play more games on the front foot. Only 4 of that squad is a Mourinho player. Only 2 of them played tonight.

Cant you do both??

Jesus you must have been tormented when Liverpool won CL playing defensive football.

How did you get through it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

After that display though do you really think Griezmann is thinking he cant wait to play for the mighty Jose side? 4 shots and 30% possession against kids

Have to laugh at this possession obsession nonsense. Barca dominated possession against Juve, yet Juve destroyed them and were the much better team over the 2 legs. Why? Because Juve rediscovered the age of art of masterful Italian defending. Combing that with a lethal attack when they do go on the offensive, pretty much makes them the perfect team imo. Like a sponge they adsorbed the best Barca could throw at them and they were devastating in attack & not just the counter attack. I never was a fan of boring tiki taka possession football and I'll always take a team that knows how to defended & attack any day, over a team that dominates possession but does f**K all with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Cant you do both??

Just goes to show you don't watch utd.

Fergie's team's near the end of his career were awful to watch. Fergie was also defensive in Europa for the most part as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

12 pints in

Come on lads I ****ing love this club 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

You are saying that United have not progressed under Jose despite them having won two trophies and finishing on more points than last year, but Liverpool HAVE progressed by not winning any trophies and finishing on more points than last year.

I'm not quite following you there fella so you might want to throw up an oul diagram or something.

I'm also not sure where you are getting the idea that we think Jose is giving us attacking football.

Is this a pretend discussion where you just make things up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

adox wrote: »
    Lads and lassies I'm not taking him seriously.

He went on a bit of a spree in the Arsenal thread recently too.

I think the lofty heights of the top 4 have starved the poor lad of oxygen.

• It's called clutching at straws lads

Souness knows the craic lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Cant you do both??

Does mr H stand for mr heskey?

Best of luck qualifying for champions league next season

You are saying that United have not progressed under Jose despite them having won two trophies and finishing on more points than last year, but Liverpool HAVE progressed by not winning any trophies and finishing on more points than last year.

I'm not quite following you there fella so you might want to throw up an oul diagram or something.

I'm also not sure where you are getting the idea that we think Jose is giving us attacking football.

Is this a pretend discussion where you just make things up?

Well achieving champions league football when they had very little in the last decade is kinda progression. Earning something you havent really had in ages!!

But this isnt about Liverpool this is a United thread.

Do you think United are playing better now than under LVG?

And so you are saying United are playing defensive football under Jose so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

tumblr_ly7tlt77aJ1r7uivno1_400.gif

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Does mr H stand for mr heskey?

Best of luck qualifying for champions league next season

Thanks. Sure you might aswell hold on to some of that luck for yerselves. Ye wont have such an easy ride in the group stages ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Maybe it was all on tv anyway but I caught some post match celebration stuff tonight. Delighted to finally see United win a trophy in the flesh and with the old man and kids too. chuffed to bits. :D

Seemed like physically Ajax couldn't handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Ah come on all I have been hearing is how United are progressing under Jose and that display was as shocking as the rest of the season.

That team should have destroyed Ajax and under the right manager would have.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of all these trophies...
    Billy86 wrote: »
    but let's not pretend we won a huge competition tonight

Luckily then, we don't have to pretend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Cant you do both??

ORLY?!

You must have a very, very, strange memory if you think Fergie always did it with great football.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

ORLY?!

You must have a very, very, strange memory if you think Fergie always did it with great football.

Not saying he always did. Just saying that even the worse displays had more chances than they did tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Not saying he always did. Just saying that even the worse displays had more chances than they did tonight

Winning 2-0 in a European final means that there were enough chances in the match.

• Advertisement

Wrong again.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Wrong again.

30% possession, 4 shots and all out defensive against a team of children is not worse than Fergies way.................................. What a rewrite of history. Are you sure your not a pool fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Thanks. Sure you might aswell hold on to some of that luck for yerselves. Ye wont have such an easy ride in the group stages ;)

Meh. The manager has won the competition twice. Won 4 European trophies now. I think he can navigate the group stage from the 2nd seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Lads, dftwum..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Just saying that even the worse displays had more chances than they did tonight

Here is a fun fact, United had 6 shots on goal tonight.

Ajax had 17 and never once looked like winning.

Liverpool had 10 shots on goal while getting their ass handed to them by Sevilla last year.

In conclusion we can see that teams that win trophies don't have to give a damn about number of shots, they can leave that to the losers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Debut season as a manager of Man United. Two trophies won. Mourinho could give lessons to other managers on how to not just get to a final but go on and win it too. Expect to see a few huge signings on the back of this win. Let the haters hate. Super Cup final to look forward to in a few months. Great to win a couple of trophies but looking forward to seeing us get stuck into the bread and butter of the league next season. Would expect to see new signings announced very soon with champions league qualification assured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

This feels like a turning point. Winning trophies helps to get the right mentality back at the club. That long unbeaten run wouldn't have happened with this squad of players with any other current manager.

I don't give a bollocks what people say about Mourinho, there isn't a better manager for the club at this present moment. He wins whenever he goes. His signing this season have all massively improved the team. I'm excited to see what happens in the Summer.

Trophies, champions league football again and the fact that it's generally enjoyable to watch United again mean that it's generally been a successful season. Hopefully the club can mount a real title challenge next season. I trust that Mourinho will bring in the players we need and will be ruthless in shipping out those that are not good enough or do not have the right mentality to win consistently.

30% possession, 4 shots and all out defensive against a team of children is not worse than Fergies way.................................. What a rewrite of history. Are you sure your not a pool fan?

Your heading off into a different tangent now, just pick a position and defend it, argue it out. I am in tremendous form so will happily give you the attention you are looking for right now.

Lets address your last point.

"Even the worse displays had more chances then they did tonight"

I responded, wrong again.

One that should have instantly come to mind for you was Barcelona in the semi's. Think we possibly had 1 shot on goal in 180 minutes.

Does that help you to understand why you were wrong?

Funnily enough, we won that tie too didn't we. Seems like maybe, just maybe the amount of shots isn't the most important stat?

v3ttel wrote: »
    This feels like a turning point. Winning trophies helps to get the right mentality back at the club. That long unbeaten run wouldn't have happened with this squad of players with any other current manager.

I don't give a bollocks what people say about Mourinho, there isn't a better manager for the club at this present moment. He wins whenever he goes. His signing this season have all massively improved the team. I'm excited to see what happens in the Summer.

Trophies, champions league football again and the fact that it's generally enjoyable to watch United again.

Finishing 5th in league is not good enough, but at end of day a Domestic and European Trophy for me anyday over 2nd place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Headshot wrote: »
    Just goes to show you don't watch utd.

Fergie's team's near the end of his career were awful to watch. Fergie was also defensive in Europa for the most part as well.

Ah now come on, awful to watch? They still scored 86 goals that year compared to 54 this season, not sure how awful you might think that is but it's miles ahead of where we are now. Simply no comparison.

There's a lot of "what have you done for me lately" about certain United fans.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Finishing 5th in league is not good enough, but at end of day a Domestic and European Trophy for me anyday over 2nd place.

Oh Kew, how could you forget?! We have basically occupied the position the entire season :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Was gonna wait till tomorrow to post this but may aswell get it off my chest and hope it's forgotten about.
    Our tactics tonight were horrible to watch from an enjoyment point. It was Jack Charlton stuff with less pressure. Fellaini was ahead of Rashford at times. Lobbed balls to Fellaini as our main weapon? Oh god. I feel like I'm watching a more successful form of Irish International football when watching United.

But..... we won, so alls well that ends well. The ends justify the means but only until they produce the ends. Hopefully the success continues.

Your heading off into a different tangent now, just pick a position and defend it, argue it out. I am in tremendous form so will happily give you the attention you are looking for right now.

Lets address your last point.

"Even the worse displays had more chances then they did tonight"

I responded, wrong again.

One that should have instantly come to mind for you was Barcelona in the semi's. Think we possibly had 1 shot on goal in 180 minutes.

Does that help you to understand why you were wrong?

Funnily enough, we won that tie too didn't we. Seems like maybe, just maybe the amount of shots isn't the most important stat?

Yea because Barcelona and Ajax are of the same quality?

Ok listen Im gonna ease off as my comments are coming across more than a little wummy (which I assure you they are not meant to be)

I am just saying about the style (which is what I said from comment 1 so no tangents at all actually) being a little boring for a team who cost an absolute fortune against a team of kids.

I just said that I expected United to hammer them tonight. In fact I had 5 quid on ye winning 6-1 (probably where my annoyance comes from)

So listen dude maybe this debate can be for another time so enjoy your evening and ye are the champions so congrats.

Oh Kew, how could you forget?! We have basically occupied the position the entire season :D

And Im not even drunk haha

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement