Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Half p1ssed drunk and what not but fuk im delighted with that tonight. It was a great performance we nullified the Ajax team they didn't get a chance to play there one two passing in behind the defence.

Read the whole thread and I thought it was a damp squib until Mr H turned up I didn't know if I lived him or Mr signed a more champions league qualification is all that mattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Class pic

DAnxF0vWsAAHilX.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just in from the pub,absolute silence before kick off even from the people not into football.Put things into perspective.
    Deserved win despite all the ABU's thinking passing the ball around in their own half meant Ajax should halve won.
    As José said "4th place isn't a trophy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Mr.H wrote: »
    Cant you do both??

Fergie won and played great football

Fergie played great football AT TIMES! He was no stranger to mini bus parking when the needs must! We played practically ALL our big games in the final few years with 5 in midfield and if that ment sacrificing Rooney Ronaldo or Tevez for Fletcher Park or someone in midfield that was done!!

The free flowing football under Fergie for 60 games a season is a myth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Fergie played great football AT TIMES! He was no stranger to mini bus parking when the needs must! We played practically ALL our big games in the final few years with 5 in midfield and if that ment sacrificing Rooney Ronaldo or Tevez for Fletcher Park or someone in midfield that was done!!

The free flowing football under Fergie for 60 games a season is a myth

Would he have done it against that Ajax team tonight?

Wait it doesnt matter I dont wanna upset the minority that will get all Jose about this topic. Not tonight anyway. Ye should enjoy the win. Seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yea because Barcelona and Ajax are of the same quality?

Again, separate issue. You claimed that Fergie won, and played great football and went on to claim that even in the worse (negative) performances the team always managed more chances.

There were plenty of poor/negative performances in especially away from home in Europe in Fergies time, great and exciting as the brand of football he liked to play was when he could do it.

He was also pragmatic, most important thing is the result.

I am not happy with the attacking tactics tonight, but the result more then makes up for it.

Thanks for the congrats

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

We came , we saw, we won.

Who are we gunna beat in the super cup?

Who are the abu gunna beat in the a.n other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I presume Mr H is dreading Juve winning the CL next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I see Morgan, Memphis and Bastian could get medals

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUfiJChDMlD/

My favourite player absolutely love him he was a beast tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I presume Mr H is dreading Juve winning the CL next week.

Well if you believe he believes what he's posting then yes.

So to answer your question: No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

GSPfan wrote: »
    Our tactics tonight were horrible to watch from an enjoyment point.

Couldn't disagree more. We completely controlled the game and never looked like losing, in terms of enjoying a cup final that's almost the perfect scenario for me.

Its the first European Final where we were going into injury time and we had it won.

Its a result business. I have seen other Clubs in Europe sit back in finals too.

Honestly I bet ya people would struggle to name 5 great European finals in both codes in last 15 years.

adox wrote: »
    Well if you believe he believes what he's posting then yes.

So to answer your question: No

Considering he thanked it I think we know what he up to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Couldn't disagree more. We completely controlled the game and never looked like losing, in terms of enjoying a cup final that's almost the perfect scenario for me.

Won without getting out of second gear, barely gave Ajax a sniff. I agree we controlled the game but thought a lot more could have been done offensively. It just wasn't pretty from our point of view.

Ajax, obviously identified as a team more dangerous when they are looking to press and counter attack so letting them have the ball makes sense, seeing the aerial advantage we had going direct often makes sense, but not every single time surely and an awful lot of hoof, aimless balls....

I think the history of losing 1 goal leads this season played into my despair with how we were inviting pressure but once we got the second I was completely calm, never saw them getting back into it from then and have to credit Mourniho for making it basically a non contest in terms of ever being at risk.

There was no real heart in mouth moment which is good, but I would have enjoyed it more with a bit more excitement from our end. The players and manager knew exactly how important the game was to win and went about it accordingly.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Considering he thanked it I think we know what he up to

Not up to anything. I thought it was a funny post.

Funny cause its true

Funny cause its true

Funny because I laughed and I give credit where it is due. Your posts, not as funny

Would he have done it against that Ajax team tonight?

Wait it doesnt matter I dont wanna upset the minority that will get all Jose about this topic. Not tonight anyway. Ye should enjoy the win. Seriously

I Remember SAF playing 4-5-1 at home to IFK Gothenburg! Hughes upfront on his own!! Opponents don't matter! Results do! We quailifed from the group! No one remembers who won all those finals Klopp has lost!
    We just remember he lost them!

• Advertisement

Funny because I laughed and I give credit where it is due. Your posts, not as funny

Its a Soccer thread not jokes one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Look Im the furthest from critical when we talk about Jose's United but you're on Souness levels of denial if you believe that brand of football was enjoyable. Its effective but hardly enjoyable. If you paid to see United in a one off friendly game and they played like that to get a win you'd be livid. Doesn't matter this season though. On to the next.

I Remember SAF playing 4-5-1 at home to IFK Gothenburg! Hughes upfront on his own!! Opponents don't matter! Results do! We quailifed from the group! No one remembers who won all those finals Klopp has lost!
    We just remember he lost them!

See thats a great point you made. I am not trying to talk up Klopp in anyway. In fact I havent mentioned him at all.

I was having this debate with my brother (long time Arsenal fan) about what he would like in a Wenger replacement. Is it more important to play great football or to play winning football.

So I ask you would you be happy if Jose kept winning and won a couple of league titles, if he was to play the typical football you would associate with Jose? Or would you hope that he does implement some form of attractive football?

Now this isnt a wind up. In fact some of you might remember awhile back I criticized fans on this very thread (or an earlier incarnation) for demanding Jose change his typical style. I said that Jose wins titles when he is allowed to play to his strengths and only fails whenever he is forced to play a more expansive attacking style of football.

I agree that there is more than one way to play football. Juve for example like a lot of Italian sides are a Defensive team but they are great at it. Barca are a great attacking side. If you swapped their tactics they may not succeed as easily.

So if you can see behind the thinly veiled criticism you might be able to answer what you would prefer.

Either way either answer Jose wins titles with his style and I sincerely admire that. Klopp doesnt win cup finals with his style so maybe he needs a lesson.

Its a Soccer thread not jokes one.

Oh sorry you lost me there I started reading your post and started to dose off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

GSPfan wrote: »
    Look Im the furthest from critical when we talk about Jose's United but you're on Souness levels of denial if you believe that brand of football was enjoyable. Its effective but hardly enjoyable. If you paid to see United in a one off friendly game and they played like that to get a win you'd be livid. Doesn't matter this season though. On to the next.

Cup finals are about winning and getting over the line. Totally in control of the game from the first minute. Scarcely looked like conceding a chance, nevermind a goal. Looked so compact in defense, and completely nullified their main strength which was a super aggressive high press.

It was a really good professional performance in a game that was incredibly important for the direction of the club for next season. Given how the previous 50+ games went this season, I thought the tactics for tonight were spot on.

No room for "well we pushed forward, played good attacking football, had lots of chances and didn't get the job done" as has been the case so many times. I would have found the game infinitely less enjoyable if we pushed forward, left gaps for them to exploit and lost the game. Nobody wants to Klopp a final. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and the fact that United won without any real difficulty.

Oh sorry you lost me there I started reading your post and started to dose off.

You're right, your posts are a joke

You're right, your posts are a joke

Now that was funny :rolleyes:

Is that what its come to? No your ugly! No your uglier!

I better thank your post ;)

Now that was funny

Cheers ;)

Tv3 guys were too afraid to actually pull souness up on his trash talk they won the bloody game and not one decent bit of analysis just United were bad bad bad bad bad bad blah blah.

Cheers ;)

Your welcome :p

All p1ss taking aside Congrats. I do mean it. Listen this is just a faceless forum full of opinions that noone really cares about. Dont let mine annoy you. Klopp didnt win our finals. So Congrats on the win and despite what I say about style ye did deserve the win

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Tv3 guys were too afraid to actually pull souness up on his trash talk they won the bloody game and not one decent bit of analysis just United were bad bad bad bad bad bad blah blah.

He had a point. But it's the way he kept going on and on

Not that it should spoil it

Your welcome :p

All p1ss taking aside Congrats. I do mean it. Listen this is just a faceless forum full of opinions that noone really cares about. Dont let mine annoy you. Klopp didnt win our finals. So Congrats on the win and despite what I say about style ye did deserve the win

Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

credit to Jose Mourinho, who will already go down among the best ever with his CV, when the only criticism they can throw at him is "well you win trophies, but you don't do it the right way"

it's brilliant

See if he made his point and moves on yes it would be valuable but he didn't it was complete negative and anytime one of the others said something positive he laughed them down.

How can he speak for United fans? He hates the club he can't think possibly that some United fans are actually happy to go out and control a final without any major scares.

Everyone else goes on about on it's United you should be trashing them but how many major finals are decided by more then one goal very little most are tight afairs.

Jose is never ever going to play attacking football every game but he is going to win cups and no one can doubt that it may not be pretty and again next year we may not always be fantastic but I guarantee you we will win again next year.

All the crap all year about Jose and what he doing to the team spirit but looking at that tonight i haven't seen as close a team spirit with United in 10 years the players love Jose by the looks of it and what they have been saying about him and the lack if negativity.

jayo26 wrote: »

To be honest I think most of Souness' opinions stem from his playing career. He hated Drogba and the same with Costa at times.

He used to have a lot of strength and used to bully other players on the field. He would love a hard hitting tackle.

That is the reason why I think he picks on players like Pogba. Pogba has loads of strength and back in Souness' day he would have been more of a viera type midfielder rather than wanting to be a lampard type. His size would have dictated it as tactics and individual skill were less important it those days.

Whenever Souness sees a player of that body type that isnt going strong into tackles he does go on about them. See the way he praises Fellani at times. Its because he goes in strong.

At least thats why I think he says it.

Being a scot and a liverpool fan could be other reasons:D

Not that it should spoil it

No your right I talked about it too much. I was actually trying to ask a serious question which I did in a post above but its a question for a different time and shouldnt distract from tonight.

for what its worth I would have taken a 1-0 in last seasons final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't like Jose. I've never liked Jose. But his job is to win trophies and it's absolutely laughable that in the moments after succeeding in doing that, there are professional people criticizing how it was done. At one the the biggest sports clubs in the world, style over substance shouldn't even be entering the manager's head. All he should care about is winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Congrats guys fully deserved.

Who'd ye like to sign in the summer to unleash the full Pogba next season? Thought he was really solid for ye this season but very limited by his teammates around him.

Souness and many of the neutrals after the match...

Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Jeez, you'd swear we lost tonight with the talk going on in here. Have you complainers watched United play at all this season? Why would you expect United to suddenly play snazzy football tonight? This final was simply about winning it any way possible. There are no points for style. Not to mention being without our top scorer, best cb, another cb who was having a renaissance, plus the best GK in the league "rested".

Who remembers the first 90 minutes of the CL Final in 1999? We only remember the 3 minutes of injury time and the two goals off corner kicks but fact is we played really poorly and should have lost.

Anyways, job done, it was great to finish the season on a positive note. In the end it's about winning and so we've ended up having a better season than the others above us in the table except Chelsea. Let's hope we can build on this next year and continue our recovery.

Any links too Souness rant?

Any links too Souness rant?

giphy_1.gif

• Woke up this morning feeling like ****e..
    But still got Man Utd on my mind
    Jose got me drinking beer
    Even though I have to go to work
    Still something tells me I'm into something goood

Had that extra spring walking into work. Few United lads so be good craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Had a lie in :D can't wait to see the non united fans when I stroll in :D

Oh I love this feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

astradave wrote: »
    Had a lie in :D can't wait to see the non united fans when I stroll in :D

Oh I love this feeling

Mickey mouse trophy, boring football, drawchester Utd etc. Etc. It will all be used today.
    Just play we are the champions on repeat all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Would take winning a final ugly every time. Who cares !! I cab remember utds best ever final performance against Arsenal in the fa cup a few years ago. Absolutely battered them for 90 minutes. Lost 1-0 take the ugly wins evert time. Fergie had plenty of them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

What a glorious morning. Champion some might say

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement