Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mickey mouse trophy, boring football, drawchester Utd etc. Etc. It will all be used today.
    Just play we are the champions on repeat all day.

I won't even care

7775%20-%20Dancing%20Raw%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20microphone%20suit%20vince_mcmahon%20wwe.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Just woke up!!! Still drunk don't remember getting home 😂😂😂

CHAMPIONS

and also the sour bitter ****e from the neutrals last night was delicious 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

GSPfan wrote: »
    Look Im the furthest from critical when we talk about Jose's United but you're on Souness levels of denial if you believe that brand of football was enjoyable. Its effective but hardly enjoyable. If you paid to see United in a one off friendly game and they played like that to get a win you'd be livid. Doesn't matter this season though. On to the next.

But to state the obvious, it isn't a friendly, it was a cup final. In terms of things that affect my enjoyment of a cup final free flowing football is well down the list behind things like controlling the game, being tactically astute and then winning the game.

Save the 4-3 end to end thrill fests for the friendlies or the charity shield, as far as I'm concerned a cup final we never looked like losing is an enjoyable experience.

And I do have to say, to anybody criticising that performance have you seen a cup final recently? World cup final? Champions league finals? Because most of them are ****e matches where better teams than us nullify each other and do their best not to lose. This isn't a Mourinho thing, rollercoaster cup finals are the exception not the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Woke up this morning feeling fine!

Always looked at Jose teams and was jealous how they won easy with perfect tactics.

Love that he's done it with us now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Very disappointed to see no Griezmann in that list Jayo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Its a great day.

Delighted for Sergio Romero and so happy Jose stuck with him for the whole competition.

I wonder whats next for :

Rooney
    Carrick
    Young

I think Zlatan will stay another season.

I also think Herrera could be Captain next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

G'wan United .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    Very disappointed to see no Griezmann in that list Jayo :D

https://twitter.com/AntoGriezmann/status/867493253641273344

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Zlatan and Rojo appear to be at two completely different stages of recovery based on last night. Zlatan strolling around without his crutches, Rojo looked like he'd keel over if he didn't have them at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Zlatan and Rojo appear to be at two completely different stages of recovery based on last night. Zlatan strolling around without his crutches, Rojo looked like he'd keel over if he didn't have them at all times.

Zlatan is just an absolute machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Would take winning a final ugly every time. Who cares !! I cab remember utds best ever final performance against Arsenal in the fa cup a few years ago. Absolutely battered them for 90 minutes. Lost 1-0 take the ugly wins evert time. Fergie had plenty of them too

The only ones that care about us not playing like Barca last night were twisted antagonists like Sourness and alot of Liverpool fans.

He and they cannot stomach us winning anything so have to try and piss on it in any way they can.

As if any of them wouldn't take winning ugly over losing pretty.

Of course not many will admit it because they have lost their last two finals so it's easier for them to bemoan a style of play that's effective than criticise their own managers style that isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Delighted! Really enjoyed the game! Been saying all week Pogba will score and I'm so happy for him. Thought he was excellent last night along with, well, everyone! Blind had a great game as did Ander.

Ajax weren't very good, but I think that was down to Jose's tactics and also they couldn't handle the physicality. They're still a tad green.

Great watching the team lift the trophy! Roll on next season!

Also on the previous post:

^Lost they're last two finals with a manager who's lost his last five! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I knew I shouldn't have opened that third bottle of wine. Absolutely in bits. Not the same high as Barcelona or Moscow,but still a unbelievable high. Roll on the road to Kiev. 43-41. GGMU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Have to say I am absolutely loving the salt online this morning lads. So much butthurt that we finished 6th and still made the CL. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

have we announced Greizman yet? The f is woodward at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

S.M.B. wrote: »

Looked to me like Zlatan had the mechanical brace on his knee. Looked like Rojo didn't. If you have the brace you can nearly jog as the brace won't allow any movement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

have we announced Greizman yet? The f is woodward at?

Give him time. His probably still passed out. It'll be a done deal soon.9/10 his coming here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm now looking forward to the transfer window. Feels like we have no obstacle in attracting players. There's two stand out ones I think are as good as certain.
    Griezmann is expected now with only wages and all that as a barrier.
    Burnley are talking all sorts of nonsense about letting Michael Keane run his contract down. That's pure bluffing and we all know it. I expect Keane to be confirmed within a few weeks.
    Other than them two I can't say for sure who else we get. Hopefully a nice surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    Did anybody really give a **** about the performance tonight? At this stage of the season? Result is everything.

As someone who frequently takes issue with performance and tactics(and last night no exception) I was delighted with the result and the lift in mood it gave me ahead of the transfer window. Should probably clarify in terms of performance, thought he got it spot on in terms of using Fellaini to negate their press and he just bossed their team in any tackle or duel. But we went into that sitting too deep mode where we just lumped balls to Rashford instead of getting bodies around him. Maybe easy to say in hindsight, but when you see Blind having Dolberg in his pocket, our midfield vastly outpowering them, and their team being a bit caught by the occasion, you'd think we would step up 10-15 yards and just pile onto them with our quality.

In terms of player performances, some poor ones (Mhiki, Rashford) and some excellent ones (Blind,Darmian,Fellaini). Thought Blind was terrific.

Very much looking forward to next season where I know I'll see better.

Just putting a wrap on this season and putting it behind me!

Separately hope your relative pulls through and gets better <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Look I will state the obvious just in case anyone was serious with their "are you happy with Jose and this style of football?"

It's the ****ing exception not the rule. Utd have played some excellent attacking football at times this season so there has been loads of signs of improvement on that front. Jose has shown he can play different styles. Can play attacking open football and still be defensively strong.

Utd ran out of steam big time towards the end of th season and we questioned whether they could pull out s performance to beat Ajax as they had looked so poor in the last 10 games or so.

Well guess what? We have a very smart manager who set the team up to totally suffocate the young attacking oppositions game. It worked perfectly and he ended up with the trophy and a comfortable win.

It hasn't all been plain sailing with him and 6th in the league is very disappointing but two trophies in. His first season, champions league football again and some of the best football we have seen played in many a year at times has me a very happy supporter this morning with the knowledge that we have a winner in charge at the club, who hasn't lost his mojo as some claimed after his departure from Chelsea.

This is the most excited I've been as a supporter since Fergie left. The club is once again moving in the right direction with the right man at the wheel.

Is there highlights on anywhere later on?
    Would like to watch some coverage where the broadcaster actually compliment the winners for winning.

I watched it on BT, thought Hargreaves was spot on in his commentary on the game what was happening. Owen did his usual harping for width, although Rio did too but stated how no one remembers the performances, no one cares, its about winning.

Sounds like I dodged a bullet not watching TV3 :D

TheDoc wrote: »
    As someone who frequently takes issue with performance and tactics(and last night no exception) I was delighted with the result and the lift in mood it gave me ahead of the transfer window. Should probably clarify in terms of performance, thought he got it spot on in terms of using Fellaini to negate their press and he just bossed their team in any tackle or duel. But we went into that sitting too deep mode where we just lumped balls to Rashford instead of getting bodies around him. Maybe easy to say in hindsight, but when you see Blind having Dolberg in his pocket, our midfield vastly outpowering them, and their team being a bit caught by the occasion, you'd think we would step up 10-15 yards and just pile onto them with our quality.

In terms of player performances, some poor ones (Mhiki, Rashford) and some excellent ones (Blind,Darmian,Fellaini). Thought Blind was terrific.

Very much looking forward to next season where I know I'll see better.

Just putting a wrap on this season and putting it behind me!

Separately hope your relative pulls through and gets better <3

Yeah all fair points and I did say myself at half time that they were playing the ball forward too early and I've no problem with a bit of critique as long as it's in context. It's when it's being spouted as last nights tactics being the norm for the whole season that it starts getting irritating, like Souness and Mr H were doing.

I know us two see things differently so far under the Jose reign but we are both ****ing delighted with last nights result and that's all thats the important thing from night really. Even more so with what was at stake.

Oh and thanks for your kind wishes at the end. Much appreciated.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I watched it on BT, thought Hargreaves was spot on in his commentary on the game what was happening. Owen did his usual harping for width, although Rio did too but stated how no one remembers the performances, no one cares, its about winning.

Sounds like I dodged a bullet not watching TV3 :D

I didn't actually mind the commentary on tv3. Don't know who the main guy was but he had Kilbane with as co commentator who was pretty good, if anything though they were the opposite to the panel and a little too pro Utd.

I don't care what anyone says about Souness. I really enjoyed him on his time at RTE but he was just ludicrous last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

It's not often I'll say this. But fair ****s to yaya toure and zabaletta, both players donating to the bombings fund. Dunno why but I didn't really expect it for some reason. Shows that city isn't just a paycheck but they feel something for the city.

Also fair play to rooney and co for doing similar. But as much as I hate city and their oil money it's still nice to see

• Advertisement

Yeah all fair points and I did say myself at half time that they were playing the ball forward too early and I've no problem with a bit of critique as long as it's in context. It's when it's being spouted as last nights tactics being the norm for the whole season that it starts getting irritatin, like Souness and Mr H was doing.

I know us two see things differently so far under the Jose reign but we are both ****ing delighted with last nights result and that's all thstmwws important osdt night really. Even more so with what was at stake.

Oh and thanks for your kind wishes at the end. Much appreciated.

I was actually surprisingly chilled watching the game. I wasn't actually as freaked when we started to retreat as I'd being in other matches, as I really thought Ajax were poor and just knocking the ball around and rarely penetrating.

Hargreaves was saying that Ajax are "exceptional" at breaching through the lines and moving the ball quick in their final third play, so that the tactics were spot on to close of the space and have them just knocking the ball in front of us. Without seeing much of Ajax this season I was trusting him on it, and it looked to be the case.

So I didn't have any real issues what was happening. Sounded and looked like a good plan and you could see the team being so comfortable. Thought though that maybe because they were so poor, we could have maybe gone "wow these are nothing special, lets go grab a few goals".

And no worries, have a relative myself on the long road out the last year so have massive empathy with anyone dealing with illness in their family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Decent watch this. Rio & Jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This season was about steadying the ship.... Did anybody really expect united to win the league?

For all the talk of horrible football , united have had their most successful season since fergie retired. That's something to celebrate.

People quote the high amount of goals Chelsea scored under Jose but I do remember that same Chelsea team Reverting to aggressively defensive tactics in bigger games..

I also remember when Jose had just returned to Chelsea and came up against a a Moyes united in early September , he played with 6 midfielders and no striker... First season is about trying to rebuild and get some success if possible.

If Jose gets the players he wants I expect united to start winning most of those poxy drawn games. Some with by a couple of goals. I still expect defensively tight games against top teams..

There is a lot of selective memory when it comes to SAF. The team between 1997-2002 was exceptionally attack minded but I think the team of 2007-2013 was more effective then hung ho attack minded.

Whenever united came up against a team that fergie thought was prob as good as us he would revert to a more conservative , defensive formation... Indeed, after losing a game in the league, fergie would often go a little bit more defensive in the next game so as not to lose 2 games in a row.

One game that always sticks with me is the 4-4 draw with Everton. United threw away a 4-2 lead at home and has city in the next game. United coding of played anymore defensive if they tried , lost 1-0 and could of lost by 5 had city been clinical...

I am not saying SAF was a defensive coach , what I am saying is that he knew when to go defensive to win , particularly when team confidence was fragile. Jose is an extremely unlikable coach (like SAF was with rival fans) so people will selectively take a pop at him and forget any other information that contradicts said argument...

I didn't want him to be united manager because I wanted the club to be more like spurs , building a team for the future. But , I do think he will bring success while he is at the club because he is an extremely talented manager.

Completely robbed it from the last few pages so kudos so whoever posted it.

Getting some **** from the usual Liverpool heads about the tactics and performance(They are a real "Klopp is the second coming")
    C'mere not even back in the CL a day and already gone deeper then you lot

Laughing-then-stops-laugh-GIF.gif

Think Liverpool are straight into the group stage - Zenit didn't qualify so Liverpool are in directly to the group stage - they might be in pot 4 though.

• Advertisement

Think Liverpool are straight into the group stage - Zenit didn't qualify so Liverpool are in directly to the group stage - they might be in pot 4 though.

fbba41b3dd9869bb42271c0524412dc3.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

As it happens it didn't matter who played in goal last night, we were so comfortable that Romero had a very handy night indeed. Good to see the team spirit at the end, smiles and high spirits all around. Nice to win a Final, the icing on the cake going straight to CL draw proper as seeded 2 , if I'm correct. No more Thursday footy and more Saturday games .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I don't see how other countries qualifiers effects whether they are in group's or not? The fourth spot in England has always been into a pre qualifications round but from next season onwards the fourth slot is threw to group's.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I don't see how other countries qualifiers effects whether they are in group's or not? The fourth spot in England has always been into a pre qualifications round but from next season onwards the fourth slot is threw to group's.

Its to do with seeding as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Still buzzing.

So so so happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

No, it means Liverpool will be seeded in the knockouts. Atone stage , had they not been seeded, they could of faced the likes of Dortmund or Napoli in the knockout stages, but now that these clubs and Zenith have qualified automatically for Groups, Liverpool move up in the Knockout rankings and face an easier tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

So, Barca apparently want Herrera. Do you think you'll go? He's already somewhat of a cult hero at United. Hope he stays. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Watched the game in a small cafe bar in Cavtat, Croatia last night. The place was more or less occupied by locals, with myself and a season ticket holder the only United fabs present. Anyway, said locals were largely quiet for the entire game, but came to life when Rooney was brought on in the 90th minute. Even gave him a round of applause.

Really opened my eyes to his standing among the global footballing community. Didn't realise he was as well regarded outside of England.

I think if United/Mourinho want Herrera to stay then he stays - I don’t think he will push for a move elsewhere. Only a year left on his contract so one needs to be offered (and signed) soon or United will have to look at selling him this summer.

• Advertisement

• Unreal how much happiness you can gain from a few lads kicking around a ball.
    So much to catch up on too. Coffee and a good read now :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Not sure where to post this, would anyone have a presale code for the Utd v Sampdoria game in the Aviva?

• siblers wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this, would anyone have a presale code for the Utd v Sampdoria game in the Aviva?

I believe you get them from being a three mobile customer, if you know anyone with three access they can get it for you

I think if United/Mourinho want Herrera to stay then he stays - I don’t think he will push for a move elsewhere. Only a year left on his contract so one needs to be offered (and signed) soon or United will have to look at selling him this summer.

He's a funny player. I really like him, I rate him and I think he is a good player and obviously his passion and understanding of the club is appreciated.

But sometimes I feel like he can do more, or be better or something. I don't know, feel like sometimes he is someone we upgrade, and other times I think he is indispensable.

I'm definitely warming to him in this more defensive role. He's such a good tackler and reader of the game. And his passing is excellent.

Maybe we had our Carrick replacement there all along?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Going to be a very interesting summer - could be a huge amount of money spent, and so much of the team could be targeted with upgrades.

You could look at centre backs, left backs, central midfielders, wingers/wide forwards and strikers.

I think Mourinho likes/rates Bailly and Rojo, and I think Blind has won himself a spot in the squad over the last couple of months. I think Jose would be quick to replace Smalling and Jones if possible. I think Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah will take at least one of those spots so it could be Michael Keane to complete the set, based on rumours (Bailly, Rojo, Keane, Blind, Fosu-Mensah and Tuanzebe).

At left back I think Mourinho would sell Shaw in an instant but the injury could scupper any thoughts of that. Darmian has proven himself a solid squad option in the last couple of months, filling in all over defence and doing well. I can see us looking for a new first choice left back. I think Valencia keeps the right back spot and with Darmian, Fosu-Mensah and Tuanzebe able to fill in there it won’t be a position we look at this summer, imo.

In central midfield I think we need at least one signing, and I think it has to be a more defensive minded player who can compliment the options we have. Since the start of last season we have lost Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger who could play that deeper role, and I think Carrick might have played his last season for us. I think someone has to be Brough in to play that defensive role in a midfield three (or two).

Up front/wings is very interesting - Griezman linked a lot, linked quite heavily with Belotti. Will Ibrahimovic stay on? Can’t see him playing till Christmas, so could see him just leave and head to the states. Leaving us with just Rashford and Martial as actual forwards (think Rooney will be off). I could see Greizman coming in to take Mata’s right sided role in the attack. Does Rashford retain the central spot with Martial/Miki/Mata/Lingard rotating in the left (and right) spot? Or do we bring in a central striker too and Rashford plays left with, you would have to assume, a couple of the other players being up for the chop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Team in singing popular fan chants shocker

Call
    The
    Guards

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Leaving us with just Rashford and Martial as actual forwards (think Rooney will be off). I could see Greizman coming in to take Mata?s right sided role in the attack. Does Rashford retain the central spot with Martial/Miki/Mata/Lingard rotating in the left (and right) spot?

We absolutely have to bring in somebody for that central spot, Rashford isn't there yet and I think last night reinforced that view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭chris445

Im not 100% on this but I think they will need to qualify anyway. The coefficient just means they are seeded for the qualifier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Sure. It was already tainted when ManUtd hired evil Jose and dab merchant Pogba.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement