Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Just got 11/2 on Greizmann to sign for United. Then I notice it has to be our next signing! That kinda changes everything lol.

Haha I did the same bet last night with Paddy Power.. I dunno who you bet with but I did it online and the odds had Jay Rodriguez as favourite to be our next signing. Is this just random betting/odds or did I miss some news?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

More CL money next year - and the adidas money isn't getting reduced.

Though I don't think shareholders make money on shares (dividends) so only selling the actual shares will make money; unless the Glazers sell and there is currently no indication of that as far as I am aware.

Shareholders get 0.09 cents dividend.
    The Glazers will get over $18 million in dividends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

J. Marston wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ajaxdailydotcom/status/867662879931158528

Won the cup but lost the passing. For shame, José.

CLCPmlfWIAEldsM.jpg

Football is about winning, getting the tactics correct, and ultimately getting the ball into the back of the net.
    Ajax can only lament they managed none of these last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Given the number of draws MU had this year when clearly the better team, it is very satisfying to actual get the win the play deserved.

Overall it was a workman like performance, they went out to do a job, and did it very well. Its all well and good saying Ajax were poor, but plenty of other teams, like Spurs, could have got to that final, but didn't.

A poor PL season has been saved by this result. Imagine the situation had we lost last night. Little chance of top class signings, no momentum, an overall disappointing season.

Given how we underperformed in the PL, this is about as good a season as we could have hoped for. Yes its the younger brother to the CL, but it serves it purpose for Utd. It maintains Utd as a winning club, which is very important in marketing terms. It gets us back into the CL, which, once the PL title was gone, was all we have been playing for since December and allows is to target top class players. It shows the team that they can win things. Players like Pogba, Zlatan took a risk coming to Utd (of course the money helps) but money is even better when you are winning.

The future looks much rosier this morning than it did last week, and certainly better than it would had we lost. Whether we go on to challenge for the PL or even the CL is open to many variables, but the likelihood is significantly improved based on the result last night.

As was said by another poster, 4 years ago we lost not only the GOAT manager, but also a manager in charge for 26 years. In the last 12 months we have won three trophies. 99% of clubs would love to be getting that return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

In fairness, Ajax have done a lot of things right developing that side and getting to a European final. United have a great record for keeping young players developed at the club in the side for decades, and Ajax has an ever better one if I remember correctly. I wouldn't judge them too harshly if they're a bit disappointed in defeat.

Ultimately though that match was largely boys/teenagers against full grown men. It illustrates why this summer United need to sign actual proven players able to deliver immediately rather than teenagers with exciting potential who might be world class in 4-5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Sand wrote: »
    In fairness, Ajax have done a lot of things right developing that side and getting to a European final. United have a great record for keeping young players developed at the club in the side for decades, and Ajax has an ever better one if I remember correctly. I wouldn't judge them too harshly if they're a bit disappointed in defeat.

Think there record only goes back to 1981 I was I pub but that's the idea I got from the onscreen graphics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I always find it bizarre when professional footballers don't understand why they lost and why certain tactics help you win. I get when fans whine about negative tactics, and even managers these days because they live in their own hypocritical bubble, but the players themselves should understand that there are many ways to skin a cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So good to hear Jose say he has his transfer targets identified and is taking a holiday while Woody works on them. No last minute scramble on deadline day from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Matic being linked with United - would chelsea even sell? Played a large proportion of the chelsea games this season. Would add some defensive steel to the side, and work well in a 3 man midfield with Pogba and Herrera. We need to add some midfielders, lost some depth there in January and Carrick might be gone before next season too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Haha I did the same bet last night with Paddy Power.. I dunno who you bet with but I did it online and the odds had Jay Rodriguez as favourite to be our next signing. Is this just random betting/odds or did I miss some news?? :eek:

Sure it wasn't James Rodriguez?

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/867742513934761984

Looks like Rooney is definitely off to pastures new.He's already been made offers.

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/867742513934761984

Looks like Rooney is definitely off to pastures new.He's already been made offers.

Maybe he has made his mind up to stay and thanks for the offers but no thanks ;) would be terrible to lose someone of Wayne's quality ;)

Sure it wasn't James Rodriguez?

Oh yeah :o I just saw the J and assumed incorrectly :eek: Phew...I thought we'd turned into Liverpool raiding Southampton there for a while :D

https://twitter.com/ManUtdUpdates_/status/867752513025519616

"José believes he has convinced Griezmann to join and Matuidi also."

• Advertisement

• Think it was buckety that made the point but Darmian arguably had one of his best performances in a Utd shirt I'd say.
    Important for us as I was unsure of what his situation was. Looks like the RB & LB positions are tightly secure.

• Matic being linked with United - would chelsea even sell? Played a large proportion of the chelsea games this season. Would add some defensive steel to the side, and work well in a 3 man midfield with Pogba and Herrera. We need to add some midfielders, lost some depth there in January and Carrick might be gone before next season too.

Out of interest what does Matic provide that Felanni does not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Anyone think Gael Clichy would be a good option for us at left back?

Free signing and 31 years of age so gives Shaw valid competition for a season to try displace him. Either way we sell Shaw next year if it still doesn't work out and buy a new starting left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Matic plays deeper and is more comfortable with long range passing. Still don't really rate him and would rather avoid signing anyone who was around for Chelsea when Jose was there. Bad for morale.

Matic would be really defensively solid with good passing and disciplined enough to sit in front of back four.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

GSPfan wrote: »

Free signing and 31 years of age so gives Shaw valid competition for a season to try displace him. Either way we sell Shaw next year if it still doesn't work out and buy a new starting left back.

I would prefer we sign players who will settle into the team long term. especially Defenders and DM

Get a O'Shea, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra thing going

• The smiles keep coming, brilliant young lad :D

In the last 53 weeks, United have won:

FA Cup (21/05/2016)
    Community shield (07/08/2016)
    FA League Cup (26/02/2017)
    Europa League (24/05/2017)

United are on the right trajectory. Winning trophies becoming the norm again.

imo - better technique, tackling and passing. But I also think it is case we need players in addition to keeping Fellaini.

GSPfan wrote: »

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Just got 11/2 on Greizmann to sign for United. Then I notice it has to be our next signing! That kinda changes everything lol.

Ya was paddy alright!

I think only thing there basing it on is how easy it will be to take the player from the club etc.

Anyway fingers crossed everyone has already agreed and it's sorted when he's finished his holiday! I could do with the 100 odd euro!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ya was paddy alright!

I think only thing there basing it on is how easy it will be to take the player from the club etc.

Anyway fingers crossed everyone has already agreed and it's sorted when he's finished his holiday! I could do with the 100 odd euro!!

He's heading on his honeymoon in 3 weeks or something and wants his future sorted before that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

https://twitter.com/mufcscoop/status/867745169067700225

Well Rooney looks like he's a goner now. Hope he finds a good club.

https://twitter.com/mufcscoop/status/867745169067700225

Well Rooney looks like he's a goner now. Hope he finds a good club.

I'd like to see him going to America and doing a Robbie Keane for a few years it would be a nice end to his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

astradave wrote: »
    He's heading on his honeymoon in 3 weeks or something and wants his future sorted before that

It's a good thing that Griezmann has set a deadline to get everything done and dusted, and it won't become a saga/will he or won't he over the summer.

• Advertisement

So if the griezmann deal isn't done before his honey moon it's not going to happen............... until after his honeymoon? Could be a long summer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Mourinho wins another champions league he goes top of the list of most European cups in history.

I'd take it anyway it comes, conservative is the best chance you have unless you are blessed with a freak group of players like Pep or Ancelotti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I couldn't give a **** how we played last night a win was all that mattered.If we played like that all season then that's a different story but you do what ever is needed in a final to win.
    Some of the horse **** this morning about the team/Jose was laughable .

Ya was paddy alright!

Hopefully :D it would be a great start to the transfer window and the winning would be a pleasant bonus! My bet was small but a win is a win :D. ;)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Well done on your win lads! :) Whatever people say about the EL, it's a European trophy and the prize is a shot at the big one next year. It's fantastic.

P.s. Nearly decked my TV last night with the crap coming out of Souness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

what was the crap that souness was sprouting as i was out last night

Souness is one sour man, it actually can't be good for you to be like that.

sky88 wrote: »
    what was the crap that souness was sprouting as i was out last night

Basically having a go at pogba and Jose for half an hour and laughing at anyone else's opinion and no proper analysis of the game and that's not exaggerating either.

I loved Romero last night afterwards every time the camera panned to him he was still holding onto the match ball. No way was that ball getting passed him last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'd like to see him going to America and doing a Robbie Keane for a few years it would be a nice end to his career.

Saw a video of Schweinsteiger making a show of 3 players over there at the weekend. Rooney would wreak havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

I see we're linked with Keane, Virgil van Dijk and Lindelof.

Out of them, think I would prefer Virgil van Dijk, not to sure how I'd feel about Keane coming back. Can understand that he has had a good season but for me at the moment, Virgil van Dijk has been on the up and up for the past couple of seasons and is still fairly young.

Can anyone give a good account of what Lindelof is like because I haven't seen much of him.

I see we're linked with Keane, Virgil van Dijk and Lindelof.

Out of them, think I would prefer Virgil van Dijk, not to sure how I'd feel about Keane coming back. Can understand that he has had a good season but for me at the moment, Virgil van Dijk has been on the up and up for the past couple of seasons and is still fairly young.

Can anyone give a good account of what Lindelof is like because I haven't seen much of him.

Van Dijk would be my choice as well.A really good CB and I think he would be a good partner for Bailly. I would really like to see a settled back 4 next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys we won a big trophy and back in the CL

Drink it in man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I would like Van Dijk of the 3 as well, he was very good for Celtic and took the step up in his stride which i wasn't sure he would do. I'm not fussed on Keane, bit of the Johnny Evans' about him, good but not quite good enough for a team aiming where we should be granted Evans had a fantastic season for us and was a reliable replacement over the years.
    Top drawer centre halves are very hard found. Thiago Silva hardly wants one new adventure before heading back to Brazil? Or would it be pointless getting him for 2 or 3 seasons?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Van Dijk would be my choice as well.A really good CB and I think he would be a good partner for Bailly. I would really like to see a settled back 4 next season.

Van Dijk looks well on the ball. Bailly is no nonsense and throws himself at everything. Could be Rio Vidic looking.

Didn't realise your man Lindelof was only 22. Pity I don't know much about how he plays. I see that Benfica only let in 18 goals this season which is impressive. I know it's not the same league and all that but he must be good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Van Dijk would be class but i don't see Soton letting him go for less than 50/60 million and they've said as much. He's got 5 years left on his deal and is their star player.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I would like Van Dijk of the 3 as well, he was very good for Celtic and took the step up in his stride which i wasn't sure he would do. I'm not fussed on Keane, bit of the Johnny Evans' about him, good but not quite good enough for a team aiming where we should be granted Evans had a fantastic season for us and was a reliable replacement over the years.
    Top drawer centre halves are very hard found. Thiago Silva hardly wants one new adventure before heading back to Brazil? Or would it be pointless getting him for 2 or 3 seasons?

The rags had us linked with Marquinhos last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

While poor oul Souness was ranting about United, I came across this.....

5435345.jpg

Wouldn't say pointless. Sometimes can bring in the stability and leadership a young defense may need. Very much doubt United would be going for him.

Sure Lauren Blanc was only brought in for a season and that turned out well.

Anyway, I'd say it'll be a younger defender as Mourinho seems to be building a young team to mature together. Sure when he went to Chelsea, he wanted to stay there a long time. That just didn't work out for him so I'd say he wants to be at United for a long time and get his long term project done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The 'Jose project' seems to typically only be something that lasts up to three seasons and regrettably I don't see his time at United being any longer.

There's only so long his negative tactics and poor treatment of players can last before he eventually loses the dressing room as players grow frustrated with the lack of opportunity to express themselves.

I think he will squeeze a league title before his inevitable decline though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement