Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Latest sky sports have on there site about Greizmann doesn't looking promising...

http://www.skysports.com/share/10892713

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

thelad95 wrote: »
    The 'Jose project' seems to typically only be something that lasts up to three seasons and regrettably I don't see his time at United being any longer.

There's only so long his negative tactics and poor treatment of players can last before he eventually loses the dressing room as players grow frustrated with the lack of opportunity to express themselves.

I think he will squeeze a league title before his inevitable decline though.

He got sacked from Chelsea because of Roman and himself. He left Inter because Real came calling and not many managers would turn them down. Not many managers get to stick around long at Madrid either so ended up back at Chelsea and seemed to say even before he got there that he wanted a long term project.

I don't see where his inevitable decline is coming from either. Just won trophies there in his first season at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭billyhead

Latest sky sports have on there site about Greizmann doesn't looking promising...

http://www.skysports.com/share/10892713

Dont worry Greizmann is coming. That footage was taking before he was interviewed on French tv. He was in Boston yesterday and not in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Sir Alex Ferguson interview coming up on Sky Sports News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The 'Jose project' seems to typically only be something that lasts up to three seasons and regrettably I don't see his time at United being any longer.

There's only so long his negative tactics and poor treatment of players can last before he eventually loses the dressing room as players grow frustrated with the lack of opportunity to express themselves.

I think he will squeeze a league title before his inevitable decline though.

Lazy and inaccurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

City have released four players all who played regularly this season, they must be planning an enormous spending spree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

City have released four players all who played regularly this season, they must be planning an enormous spending spree.

what players?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

what players?

Navas, Sagna, Clichy and Kolorov

Lord TSC wrote: »
    navas? really? wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

The keeper Caballero too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Between us and City, there's going to be an ungodly amount of cash spent this summer....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's going to be unreal .I wonder is there any chance Pogba record will be smashed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

yabadabado wrote: »
    It's going to be unreal .I wonder is there any chance Pogba record will be smashed ?

If I were a betting man, I'd say most definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

navas? really? wow

Navas is useless. Zero end product

Lord TSC wrote: »

Kolorov is not being released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Could be broken twice maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Who do you think will move that will command that fee ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

jayo26 wrote: »
    Could be broken twice maybe.

Could be, who knows.

Gut feeling says Real Madrid will smash it to sign Kylian Mbappe from Monaco.

• Advertisement

Griezmann release clause is there abouts probably more with expenses and Madrid might do something stupid with mbappe

• rockal wrote: »
    Sir Alex Ferguson interview coming up on Sky Sports News

Anyone got a link to this??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

So Jose Mourinho wins trophies, who'd have guessed. Oh ye of little faith.

It's predictable that people who hated him from the start will now complain about the style of our most successful season since Fergie left but seriously go watch Liverpool or Arsenal if winning trophies isn't the most important outcome of a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Korat wrote: »
    So Jose Mourinho wins trophies, who'd have guessed. Oh ye of little faith.

It's predictable that people who hated him from the start will now complain about the style of our most successful season since Fergie left but seriously go watch Liverpool or Arsenal if winning trophies isn't the most important outcome of a season.

As a Liverpool fan, I would prefer to play pragmatic football and win trophies then sexy football and not. That's why I backed Benitez when he won playing **** on a stick football at times. Because we won trophies and got to finals and semi's in the Champions League.

If I were a Utd fan I would be delighted how the season turned out because a) You won things and got back into the Champions League and b) Mourinho seems to have gotten his mojo back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Trophies are trophies but the standard in the Europa Lge this season was brutal. If a genuine Utd fan had been told at the start of the season that they would finish 6th and 24 pts behind the winners, they would have been raging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

As a Liverpool fan, I would prefer to play pragmatic football and win trophies then sexy football and not. That's why I backed Benitez when he won playing **** on a stick football at times. Because we won trophies and got to finals and semi's in the Champions League.

If I were a Utd fan I would be delighted how the season turned out because a) You won things and got back into the Champions League and b) Mourinho seems to have gotten his mojo back.

After the amount of abject scutter posted in the match thread and across the forum today, its utterly refreshing to see / hear someone, particularly a Liverpool fan admit that it's the winning that's important, particularly when it comes to cup finals.

Kudos to you sir to have more to you than just blind hatred of United / Jose.

• Advertisement

Trophies are trophies but the standard in the Europa Lge this season was brutal. If a genuine Utd fan had been told at the start of the season that they would finish 6th and 24 pts behind the winners, they would have been raging.

If you were offered two trophies and champions league qualification at the start of the season I guarantee you would have taken it.

You are talking shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Rod Munch wrote: »
    After the amount of abject scutter posted in the match thread and across the forum today, its utterly refreshing to see / hear someone, particularly a Liverpool fan admit that it's the winning that's important, particularly when it comes to cup finals.

Kudos to you sir to have more to you than just blind hatred of United / Jose.

In fairness there was a few good posters. Donnelly was in here and was sound, there was an Arse fan and a few others who i don't remember/

But yeah loads more scutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Yeah, if they were told that in isolation they would be. If they were told that and they'd win 2 trophies and qualify for the champions league I don't think they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

If you were offered two trophies and champions league qualification at the start of the season I guarantee you would have taken it.

You are talking shyte.

Its not mutually exclusive. You're right anyone would have accepted two titles and CL next year. But its also right to say that people would have found it difficult to accept that the team would finish 24 points off the PL winners when even Mourinho expected a title challenge in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

A genuine United fan? What a load of bollocks.

If you told any United fan they would finish 6th they'd be disappointed however if you also told them they'd win the Europa and the league cup while also reaching the quarter finals of the FA cup then they would be happy.

Anyone expecting a title challenge on the back of last season would be deluded. Read the threads here at the start of the season. Two trophies and back in the champions league, Jose knows his squad and has funds to spend. Already looking forward to August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

You are talking shyte.

Tbf, if somebody said preseason that we were going to finish in 6th, but we'd win the Europa and League Cup, I'd not have been too happy with that as I was very optimistic about the coming season. I think that the majority of United fans were. We've had to readjust our expectations as the year has gone on and the frailties of the team were exposed and in the end, most are just about happy with things. Same going into next year, if somebody told me we'd come 4th and win the FA cup and League Cup, I wouldn't be too happy about that before a ball has been kicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

You are talking shyte.

I think more importantly for Utd, Mourinho has recovered from a disastrous season last year with Chelsea to prove to doubters that he still knows how to win. And that he is not necessarily the busted flush people had him written off as.

If I were a Utd fan, that would have been my main concern going into this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Few fans are happy with the league but it's fixable it's clear where the problems are and it will be fixed. Do people actually expeect fans to start turning on club and manager because not everything went our way?

I said it months ago on here of all the teams from 3rd down to sixth I think United have the best foundations to move on next year.

City have to work out their defence they leak goals and they have a manager that's never fixed a defence he has always just outscored other teams but he won't do that in the premier league.

Pool have a decent first 11 but now they have European football their squad is seriously small they need at least 4 new players In the first 11 while also adding debt to a paper thin squad.

Arsenal are arsenal they have problems all over pitch with there best two players unsettled and running out of contracts and a manager that no one at the club seems to be behind apart from the owner.

United have a nice size squad with problems scoring goals but have a manger that has won everywhere he went and has always got his teams scoring we need probably two players that will score goals and strength in midfield and a centerback.

Foundations are there and manager is there.

I cant find anything on souness comments yesterday.... I wanna taste his bitter lemons for the laugh

I think more importantly for Utd, Mourinho has recovered from a disastrous season last year with Chelsea to prove to doubters that he still knows how to win. And that he is not necessarily the busted flush people had him written off as.

If I were a Utd fan, that would have been my main concern going into this season.

Honestly, that wasn't a concern I had with Jose.

He has been a serial winner where ever he went.

The trouble last year started when he lambasted the doctor.

He was completely in the wrong for doing it in public but if rumours are to be believed Hazard was dipping his wick in her and the public humiliation of her cost Jose the dressing room.

We saw it this year with Leicester and countless other times over the years with various managers, once the dressing room goes then there is only going to be one outcome.

Jose is the right man for United.

He has handled the difficult Rooney situation impeccably.

The likes of Rojo and Jones were written off by most United fans incl myself but they have been positively reinvented under Jose.

I genuinely believe that he will be with us for alot more than 3 years.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Jose is a massive fan of SAF and I think he wants to build a real legacy with the club, the same as Fergie.

Once he doesn't get involved in some of the more unsavoury antics of his past and he keeps bringing silverware there would be zero reason for the board to get rid of him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Just watched Rio's interview with Jose and I now have no doubt Marcus Rashford is going to be a huge star for Jose. He singled him out as having unbelievable dedication and the mentality to handle pressure. He says he tries to pressure players to do more and Marcus responds. Love that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Since it became the Europa League Sevilla (twice), Atletico (twice), Chelsea, Porto, Benfica and now United have won it. These are big teams who you wouldn't be surprised in any given year to be amongst the last 8 or even 4 in the CL with a bit of luck. It's not Barca, Bayern, Real and Juve but their leagues are set up so they don't really have to worry about not being in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

GSPfan wrote: »
    Just watched Rio's interview with Jose and I now have no doubt Marcus Rashford is going to be a huge star for Jose. He singled him out as having unbelievable dedication and the mentality to handle pressure. He says he tries to pressure players to do more and Marcus responds. Love that.

A lad on Reddit typed it out for those who haven't seen the video
    Mou: What I love in this kid Marcus is that he copes with the pressure, and I can press him. I can press him. I can demand- I can be very demanding with him. He is the kind of kid that (when) the training session finish but doesn’t finish for him. He wants more. He lives for football.

He was, of course, a tornado when he arrived last season- without responsibility. No pressure. The kid is coming. And this season when the pressure was on him and he was not scoring goals- for 1, 2 ,3 4 months without scoring goals – He coped with that pressure. He coped. He coped with the pressure. And this is the kind of character I like. I like to squeeze the player and the player to cope with it and the player to react to it. For me it’s more difficult the fragile mentality. I think it’s, I would say probably my weakness as a manager. It’s difficult for me to understand people with a different mentality than I am and that I have.

Rio: You can’t understand it?

Mou: It’s difficult to understand, so it takes me time to understand, and sometimes I am not able to feel attractive again. I think really sometimes I ask my assistants to help me on that because maybe they have a different profile than I have, because for me- I want really to be in love with a player with this character, with this personality, and that that kid Marcus is the best example of – especially in this club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Bollocks. You could say the same for any season Fergie's teams underperformed. 1995, 1998, 2002, and 2004-2006 in particular. This is Jose's first season and there's a lot of dead wood to shift. I had high expectations of him but people who predicted disaster this season just can't even bring themselves to acknowledge that things have gone far better they forecast.

• Advertisement

• I find its the same type of questions dumped in here every bloody week from a select few rivals.
    And then when given clear and concise reasoning like Adox and Rod only provided for example they are nowhere to be seen to defend such statements and or nonsense questions.

I fully believe they either haven't watched Utd all season or they have and are just blatantly ignoring the reality of the situation or they are taking the piss. It's as simple as that.

the following in order of annoyance should only deserve a generic response

"Are Utd fans happy with this style of football?" (8 games playing in one style is reflective of the complete season apparently)
    "Most expensive squad ever assembled?"
    "Jose has lost it, not up to the standard anymore since sacked by Chelsea"
    "Jose isn't a great manager" (Yea ok, he'd best ignore all those honors)
    "Jose doesn't play youth" (LOL and even I held this against him when he signed for Utd)
    "He's treating the players poorly" (nothing of rejuvenating and or massively improving the output of Rojo, Darmian, Herrera, handling the Rooney situation with style)

Absolutely love mourinho seems to be all about the club

Absolutely love mourinho seems to be all about the club

I've never seen a reaction from him like the one at the final whistle.

Pure, unadulterated joy and no doubt some relief too.

1 year in, two trophies and a spot in next year's champions league.

I doubt many of us would have refused that if we were offered it at the start of the season.

I'm super excited for next season already.

A whopper transfer window and it will hopefully be all systems go from the start of the season.

Im sure we are all in agreement that a title challenge should be priority for next season. League campaign this season was fairly pathetic to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

As a genuine united fan over 30+ years im fricking delighted how the season went. People forget how bad things were last year despite the FA cup win. To think the club was one point away from CL football and possibly keeping Van Gaal i shudder to think of it and how close we were not to get Jose.

Still have a smile on my face after the Europa win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I cant find anything on souness comments yesterday.... I wanna taste his bitter lemons for the laugh

https://streamable.com/qxn9e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I've never seen a reaction from him like the one at the final whistle.

Pure, unadulterated joy and no doubt some relief too.

Don't make me break out the running down the touchline gif :D

I would think that relief even more so then joy was the overwhelming emotion for him, he is a very smart guy. He knew the kind of pressure he would face and criticism if Ajax had managed the win.

This is right up there for him in terms of lifting weight off his back and freeing him, it turned a poor season into only Chelsea having a better season then us which is amazing based off one game.

Was delighted to see the emotion come pouring out of him

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This is right up there for him in terms of lifting weight off his back and freeing him

It really does, it puts the "busted flush" nonsense right back in its box. First season at a massive but struggling club and bang, major European trophy!

Thats the sort of thing that managers like Moyes can dream of but would never actually believe they could achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The attempts to put Jose down just ring empty now. They're fairly pathetic tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Love Mou <3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement