Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Jaysus he is one bitter auld man

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sure, we got this whole "The United Way" shtick last year as well. If I'm honest, when I hear rival fans start banging that drum, I actually take it as a sign we are moving in the right direction, since the only time "The United Way" stuff comes up is right after something positive has happened to us. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

As a genuine united fan over 30+ years im fricking delighted how the season went. People forget how bad things were last year despite the FA cup win. To think the club was one point away from CL football and possibly keeping Van Gaal i shudder to think of it and how close we were not to get Jose.

Still have a smile on my face after the Europa win.

In all honesty I think Van Gaal was gone whether we had snuck 4th or not, I reckon a deal with Mourinho had long been done before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Do you think what happened with Chelsea humbled Jose? I think it was a good thing for him and for us

Lads, is the testimonial this weekend or next? And is it on TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Do you think what happened with Chelsea humbled Jose? I think it was a good thing for him and for us
    For his sake, it should have.

Last season at Chelsea was an utter disaster by his standards. Whatever exactly went wrong, he was the one who got the blame and when you see how the players have responded this season and even in the remainder of last season, you can see he had a big part to play. The players were no angels either but, at the end of the day, the manager needs to be in charge, especially when it comes to someone like Mourinho. What he was doing simply wasn't working.

If he was going to be able to continue as a successful coach, he needed to have a think about where it went wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Most successful united managers.

Fergie 28 majors (or 25 if you leave out supercup etc)
    Busby 8 majors
    Magnall 3 majors
    Jose 2 majors (ahead of Atkinson on the basis of a European title)
    Atkinson 2 majors
    The Doc 1 major
    LvG 1 major

So in one season he's our 4 most successful manager of all time and people still question him. What a joke.

Also all I can say after looking into to that is Fergie, wow. Christ he was a God of a manager.

Jose gets a bit of success next year and he can get close to Magnall, although he has two league titles so even if Jose beats him numerically without a league id still have Magnall ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hate that ****e "but it's not The United way"

The United way is winning ****ing trophies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Lads, is the testimonial this weekend or next? And is it on TV?

Next weekend.Probably on MUTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Humbled? No chance.

I still cant really see jose being at the club in 4 years. Few times this season he questioned players in public. Could have easily blown up in his face in his first season.

• Advertisement

AS are saying that James heading to inter along with Pepe..

One saga over soon hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Wanted to get tickets to see United v Sampdoria friendly in Dublin but the lowest price I'm getting is €65.
    PISS RIGHT OFF.

Ian Ladyman going all out with his "Jose's shopping list".

Antoine Griezmann, Atletico Madrid, Striker

Release clause: £86.6million

2016-17 stats: La Liga Games: 36, Goals: 16, Assists: 8, Mins Per Goal: 192, Shots Per Goal: 5.5

Andrea Belotti, Torino, Striker

Release clause: £86.6million

2016-17 stats: Serie A Games: 34, Goals, 25, Mins PEr Goal: 119, Assists: 5, Shots Per Goal: 4.9

Romelu Lukaku, Everton, Striker

Price Tag: £100million

2016-17 stats: Premier League Games: 37, Goals: 25, Mins Per Goal: 131, Assists: 6, Shots Per Goal: 4.4

Michael Keane, Burnley, Defender

Price Tag: £30million

2016-17 stats: Premier League games: 35, Goals: 2, Tackles: 28, Duels Won: 195, Clearances: 260, Blocks: 43

wong wrote: »
    Wanted to get tickets to see United v Sampdoria friendly in Dublin but the lowest price I'm getting is €65.
    PISS RIGHT OFF.

I paid €60 last year for Celtic v Barcelona.Not going this year,I'm heading to OT a few weeks later anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

bangkok wrote: »
    Humbled? No chance.

I still cant really see jose being at the club in 4 years. Few times this season he questioned players in public. Could have easily blown up in his face in his first season.

I think that's just modern day football though, lots of coach's talk about staying at a club long term but in his day and age it's going to be very rare.

PISS RIGHT OFF.

That's a madness fee for a friendly.. just to show how mad it is I got tickets to the European Cup Semi final between Leinster and Wasps in the Aviva for 33.00. And I think there was some on sale for less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Those are dreamer prices for that game. Id save the money and go see a proper game in old trafford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

zerks wrote: »
    Ian Ladyman going all out with his "Jose's shopping list".

How do they get paid for this rubbish?

3 Forwards.
    1 Defender.

No mention of a midfielder or even a LB. I mean, they're making it up anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

180 euro for two tickets in the ''Premium area''

Suck my dick ticketmaster no ****ing chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Blind has one year left on his contract. He better get a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I don't <3 Mourinho at all, but I <3 that he's at our club now and I think he'll turn us around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Looks like Bernardo Silva is off to Man City.
    I wonder will any more players be picked off at Monaco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Looks like Bernardo Silva is off to City. Hope we can get our transfers done early and not spend a whole summer chasing one player while missing out on others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Looks like Bernardo Silva is off to Man City.
    I wonder will any more players be picked off at Monaco?

Such a pity, would love to see that side develop over the next few years but you'd easily see another 2 or 3 leave this summer.

Sky saying greizmann is our no 1 target with a centre back, midfielder and a versatile player who can play both right and left back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

xtal191 wrote: »
    Looks like Bernardo Silva is off to City. Hope we can get our transfers done early and not spend a whole summer chasing one player while missing out on others.

Mourinho pretty much passed it all off to Woodward after the game on Wednesday, said they know who he wants and best of luck.

Really interested to see who we bring in, the papers are so full of nonsense. I wouldn't like to see James and not fully convinced that Griezmann would suit, outside of that bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Blind has one year left on his contract. He better get a new one.

He has one year left and also club has option to extend one more, so he is under contract till 2019.

We got linked with Silva last week. Shame, he looks really, really good. Be a great signing for them.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    I've never seen a reaction from him like the one at the final whistle.

Pure, unadulterated joy and no doubt some relief too.

1 year in, two trophies and a spot in next year's champions league.

I doubt many of us would have refused that if we were offered it at the start of the season.

I'm super excited for next season already.

A whopper transfer window and it will hopefully be all systems go from the start of the season.

There are some great pics of Jose celebrating with his son after the game,sheer joy!

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    We got linked with Silva last week. Shame, he looks really, really good. Be a great signing for them.

Looks like Mendy going there too.

They are already used to playing in front of half empty stadium, City will suit them.

Jays us, City, just buy Monaco :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Aubamayang handed in a transfer request.

And we're off!

Also on the friendly prices, first thing I said when I saw it announced was "ripoff inc". It's the FAI organising lads, come on, of course its going to cost a fortune. Pity as I would love to see the team live, but I am on a principled stance not to attend any Irish team games or anything where the FAI get €€€ while Delaney is present.

There was quotes going around from OJogo who asked Mou about Silva and he said something like "honestly, I don't think so, but anything can happen, we always want great players at Manchester United"

So think that was a last push to try and get him to join but he opted for City

TheDoc wrote: »
    Aubamayang handed in a transfer request.

And we're off!

Also on the friendly prices, first thing I said when I saw it announced was "ripoff inc". It's the FAI organising lads, come on, of course its going to cost a fortune. Pity as I would love to see the team live, but I am on a principled stance not to attend any Irish team games or anything where the FAI get €€€ while Delaney is present.

It's nothing really to do with the FAI,it's a private venture just like a concert.They basically rent the stadium stick in a big team and charge a fortune.

Bad news lads,my pre match watering hole,Sam Platts is definitely closing down.It's being demolished and turned into a tram stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

zerks wrote: »
    Bad news lads,my pre match watering hole,Sam Platts is definitely closing down.It's being demolished and turned into a tram stop.

Is that what they are doing with it? Christ the Trafford and Blaize are hard enough to get into at the best of times this will make it all the harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I like Sivla, and I think he will be a great eventual replacement for David Silva for them.

I've never understood the links from United to him - or our links to James.

My assumption is we want (and will sign) Greizman - so I'd be looking at

Striker
    ----Rashford
    Greizman

I would expect the midfield behind them will be Pogba, Herrera and Fellaini or a new defensive signing to complement the first two.

As substitutes on the wing positions we have Lingard, Martial, Mata, Mikhitaryan - sure it would be great to have Silva for that, but a 65million squad option? Don't see it (yet).

If we go with a more attacking trio in midfield, we can play Mata or Mkhitaryan in the point 10 position.

As I say, i'd have loved Silva, and I think there are places in a starting line up we could have put him (move Rashford centrally and play Silva on the left) and maybe we will sign another player for that role - there is arguably a need. But I think that signing is behind forward signings and central midfield signing and probably a centre back in terms of definitive need to be address this summer.

And just as I finish this post... Adreas Pereira pops into my head - i'd love to see him given a chance in that left sided position and centrally as a squad option. In fact, fcuk Silva or signing any other player for that role; give Pipi a chance!

• zerks wrote: »

Yea, was discussing this earlier in the week.
    Raging.
    Some of the best craic before games are in that pub. Never forget

Valencia just signed a new contract. Excellent news

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sweet, at least two more seasons from one of my favorite players. Absolute commitment.

Wasn't it he that sacked his agent after he got to United because he never wanted to move again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

With regard to Valencia, Is there a better example of a winger who's converted to a full back in modern day football? He could be improved upon, don't get me wrong, but he's great to have in the team.

Bernardo Silva in Manchester to tie up City deal. Woodward would want to get his fúckin finger out and sign players soon. The seasons been over since Wednesday and still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

GSPfan wrote: »
    Bernardo Silva in Manchester to tie up City deal. Woodward would want to get his fúckin finger out.

What? Season barely ended and no one has any idea which players we are targeting or what work is going on behind the scenes.

Bouhafsi saying we are going head to head with City for Mandy..

And RMC are saying we are going for Lucas Moura(no idea why)

So with the window open offically today, I guess Muppet Mode has started :D

https://twitter.com/mohamedbouhafsi/status/868076736298311680

Bouhafsi saying its us and City after Mendy of Monacco, with a price tag of €45m. He's a left back, I think.

Sports Witness says multiple sources tell them we've made contact with PSG over Lucas Moura.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

With regard to Valencia, Is there a better example of a winger who's converted to a full back in modern day football? He could be improved upon, don't get me wrong, but he's great to have in the team.
    I thought he was MOTM in the final - just saw Herrera got it ? Then I see Miki got "Player of the Match" on the same page ? ? ?
    He snuffed out everything bar one good cross on his side, and even got United's second shot on target, and it needed saving. I actually don't even think Dolberg touched the ball once in the game, and when he was subbed off he shook hands with Valencia !

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    What? Season barely ended and no one has any idea which players we are targeting or what work is going on behind the scenes.

I went back to edit to make the sarcasm more apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Some of the rumours have Aubameyang going to PSG, there were rumours before he handed in a transfer request he is going to United.

Would be great if we got him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I went back to edit to make the sarcasm more apparent.

I thought it was clear the first time :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement