Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

GSPfan wrote: »
    I went back to edit to make the sarcasm more apparent.

I'm not posting regularly now a days, so not sure who is like what. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

astradave wrote: »
    Bouhafsi saying we are going head to head with City for Mandy..

And RMC are saying we are going for Lucas Moura(no idea why)

I'd imagine because he seems to operate most from the right side, with pace, incision and a decent shot.

If Mourinho is looking at our flanks, the right one is where we can probably get better. We are stocked well on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd imagine because he seems to operate most from the right side, with pace, incision and a decent shot.

If Mourinho is looking at our flanks, the right one is where we can probably get better. We are stocked well on the left.

I'd have thought that is where we'd want to play Griezmann - though maybe we can't (or worried we can't) and Lucas is backup. I know Griezmann played up front for atleti but I just can't see that's where mourinho wants to play him (as a 9)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

What are the odds of Griezzman and Lukaku both being purchased?

Possibly Rooney and Ibra gone so two spots to fill

I have a feeling Ibra will stay. Sure Carrick got offfered a new contract

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

beakerjoe wrote: »
    What are the odds of Griezzman and Lukaku both being purchased?

Possibly Rooney and Ibra gone so two spots to fill

I have a feeling Ibra will stay. Sure Carrick got offfered a new contract

Skybet:
    Griezmann 1/10
    Lukaku 5/1 (Chelsea 8/11)

• Feeling the rags gonna be using Man Utd V City in alot of the generated nonsense in the transfer market.
    Really hope we have identified or CB & DM & Striker.
    Sky are stating that we are buying 4 more players (obviously some players going the other way). Where did they dig that out from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

RobertKK wrote: »
    Skybet:
    Griezmann 1/10
    Lukaku 5/1 (Chelsea 8/11)
    that is a ridiculous odds on that transfer sure that's as good as nailed on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Feeling the rags gonna be using Man Utd V City in alot of the generated nonsense in the transfer market.
    Really hope we have identified or CB & DM & Striker.
    Sky are stating that we are buying 4 more players (obviously some players going the other way). Where did they dig that out from?

a good few places are citing 'United Sources' for 4 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Id be more than happy to shell out big money for Griezmann and Aubameyang. Join them two with Rashford Mkhitaryan Martial and Mata and that is an abundance of talent to choose from.

Id be slightly underwhelmed with Lukaku I must say. Buying him for £50 million or so would be a deal I could see the sense in but £70 + million? I don't see it happening. Everton want £100 million. Tut.

I think I'll be happier once we get Griezmann and maybe two others in the door. That way the rumours should start to narrow and fall off as it gets obvious we have our business nearly done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I'd have thought that is where we'd want to play Griezmann - though maybe we can't (or worried we can't) and Lucas is backup. I know Griezmann played up front for atleti but I just can't see that's where mourinho wants to play him (as a 9)

Spending 100m on a world class striker there is no way mourinho will be putting him on the wing

bangkok wrote: »
    Spending 100m on a world class striker there is no way mourinho will be putting him on the wing

Just to be clear would we all class a striker as a number 9? Well then he isn't a striker. He plays out wide or behind a front man almost every time I've seen him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

You obviously haven't watched him play very much so..

He plays off the main striker or from the right and in an atletico team in which he does a hell of a lot of tracking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If we bought Ronaldo I wouldn't play him as a striker.

Just to be clear would we all class a striker as a number 9? Well then he isn't a striker. He plays out wide or behind a front man almost every time I've seen him play.

He has played up top though in plenty of games as well. I just think with rooney going and zlatan injured and maybe going greizemann will be played in the no 9 position.

RobertKK wrote: »
    If we bought Ronaldo I wouldn't play him as a striker.

have to agree Ronaldo right wing all day long... although maybe he doesn't have the legs for the wings now better suited up front

maybe Ronaldo few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Are you confusing him with another Griezmann?

Jose loves a strong no 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If we are targeting a top class striker surely either Kane (not a hope) or Lukaku. They have both proved themselves in EPL, and as we have seen multiple times foreign transfers can take time to bed in.

With strikers this is even more apparent as a CM or defender can play reasonably, but its all about goals for a striker and a run of 10 games without scoring suddenly the pressure is building.

Could we afford to take the chance on Aubameyang or similar taking a year to get used to the EPL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

have to agree Ronaldo right wing all day long... although maybe he doesn't have the legs for the wings now better suited up front

maybe Ronaldo few years ago

Hasn't Ronaldo been playing threw the middle alit for Madrid this season I see people praising how he has changed his game and his muscle type to adapt to his age.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    If we are targeting a top class striker surely either Kane (not a hope) or Lukaku. They have both proved themselves in EPL, and as we have seen multiple times foreign transfers can take time to bed in.

With strikers this is even more apparent as a CM or defender can play reasonably, but its all about goals for a striker and a run of 10 games without scoring suddenly the pressure is building.

Could we afford to take the chance on Aubameyang or similar taking a year to get used to the EPL?
    to get those kind of players yes they can have a year if needs be to adjust

no way is lukaku worth the reported 100 mill

jayo26 wrote: »
    Hasn't Ronaldo been playing threw the middle alit for Madrid this season I see people praising how he has changed his game and his muscle type to adapt to his age.

I was gonna post that he is more central and forward now and yes widely known he has adapted his game to poach more.. ie get the ball to him

• Advertisement

But who does the job during the year whilst they adjust? Surely paying a bit over the odds for the likes of Lukaku, who will hit the ground running, is more than worth it?

We are left with Rash and Martial

But you does the job during the year whilst they adjust?

We are left with Rash and Martial

Exactly.. Striker wise we need someone that can come in and hit 20+ goals straight away

Exactly.. Striker wise we need someone that can come in and hit 20+ goals straight away

So, IMO, that narrows it down to current EPL players. Sanchez? Kane, Lukaku, Aguero?

He has played up top though in plenty of games as well. I just think with rooney going and zlatan injured and maybe going greizemann will be played in the no 9 position.

I wouldn't argue with you as I don't watch Atletico enough to be confident I'm right about his position but I seriously doubt he would be up front for us. I've seen him play excellent on the wide right where he does a great defensive shift. We have no one for that role at the moment so I could see him playing there. He gives us great options.

Options:
    Centre Forwards - New Striker, Rashford, Martial, Griezmann.
    Right or Left Forward - Griezmann, Rashford, Martial, Mkhitaryan, Mata, Lingard.
    Behind Centre Forward - Griezmann, Mkhitaryan, Mata, Lingard.

So, IMO, that narrows it down to current EPL players. Sanchez? Kane, Lukaku, Aguero?

I'd have Sanchez better out wide, no hope Aguero is moving to us and we could probably get Lukaku for half the price of Kane which could free up funds for elsewhere

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Griezmann and Lukaku would be the dream. Would be so, so happy.

So a front three of Mihky (left), Greizmann (right) and Lukaku leading the line? Is that the idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What the heck are people calling a striker these days? First Bale was a striker now Griezmann is one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

pjohnson wrote: »
    What the heck are people calling a striker these days? First Bale was a striker now Griezmann is one.

I'd just call Griezmann and forward. Bale a winger/forward.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Griezmann and Lukaku would be the dream. Would be so, so happy.

Id dream a bit bigger than Lukaku to be honest considering the money talked about could cost us as much as any striker in world football. But wouldn't give out about it either if it happens.

• Advertisement

So a front three of Mihky (left), Greizmann (right) and Lukaku leading the line? Is that the idea

No way would I put Mkhitaryan on the left ahead of Rashford. Mkhitaryan I feel has been struggling in that wide role. Put him central behind a striker.

For argument sake:

Lukaku
    Rashford Mkhitaryan Griezmann
    Pogba Herrera
    Defense
    Dave

No way would I put Mkhitaryan on the left ahead of Rashford. Mkhitaryan I feel has been struggling in that wide role. Put him central behind a striker.

For argument sake:

Lukaku
    Rashford Mkhitaryan Griezmann
    Pogba Herrera
    Defense
    Dave

Yeah like that or with Griezmann behind Lukaku and Mkhi wide and in the bigger matches Mkhi/Rashford benched for an extra dm/cm

I love silly season :D

Yeah like that or with Griezmann behind Lukaku and Mkhi wide and in the bigger matches Mkhi/Rashford benched for an extra dm/cm

I love silly season :D

Yes exactly how i see it. Fellaini or whoever we buy to add to that midfield to come in and make it a midfield 3 in tougher games.

Anyone any proper knowledge on how Dortmund play with Aubameyang? Would he be able to pull off Rashfords role from the other night? Does he play alone up top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭davehey79

Not sure it's been posted but Patrice has announced he'll be at Carricks' testimonial in true Evra style

http://www.instagram.com/p/BUjtoxNhcRA/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Id dream a bit bigger than Lukaku to be honest considering the money talked about could cost us as much as any striker in world football. But wouldn't give out about it either if it happens.

60m Ish, for a young, premier league proven goal scorer who has scored a lot of goals for a team that, being honest, aren't amazing. Put him in the same system as Ibra, and with someone like Griezmann with him, and I'd bet he'd hit 25 goals for us in the league next year.

Considering all factors, he'd be my number one desire for a striker this summer.

Not really sure why some are happy about griezmanns defensive abilities..... we need goals added to the team. I would be telling greizemann to stay as high up the field as possible.

Also if griezmann is not going to play as a striker do people assume we will be signing another forward player??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Anyone any proper knowledge on how Dortmund play with Aubameyang? Would he be able to pull off Rashfords role from the other night? Does he play alone up top?

Generally up top on his own, but Dortmund change their system every game. For example I've seen them play 4-1-4-1, 4-1-3-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and 5-3-2 this season.

Not really sure why some are happy about griezmanns defensive abilities..... we need goals added to the team. I would be telling greizemann to stay as high up the field as possible.

Its an indication of his discipline and versatility, and a reality that in a Jose team in tough matches he will be asked to defend if he plays out wide. He is well capable is all we're saying. He's actually superb at nicking the ball off an attacking team and charging forward with pace.

You seem down on the Griezmann thing already?

• Advertisement

Its an indication of his discipline and versatility, and a reality that in a Jose team in tough matches he will be asked to defend if he plays out wide. He is well capable is all we're saying. He's actually superb at nicking the ball off an attacking team and charging forward with pace.

You seem down on the Griezmann thing already?

No i cant wait to see him play in a utd shirt if he signs, would love to see him blossom though and not be restricted in what he does the same way van gaal killed di maria or jose has done with mkhitarayan

Also if griezmann is not going to play as a striker do people assume we will be signing another forward player??

All the rags reckon we will sign griezmann and lukaku and belotti and then sign Keane for defence.

No i cant wait to see him play in a utd shirt if he signs, would love to see him blossom though and not be restricted in what he does the same way van gaal killed di maria or jose has done with mkhitarayan

To be honest Ive been thinking this a lot and I think we might start flirting with a 352 formation to prevent the 433 from turning into a 451 all the time. If we need to score more goals we'll need more players up top. 352 might suit with the players we have. Just need Shaw to show up next year and I reckon Valencia and Shaw would be great wing backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Jaysus Griezmann and Lukaku would be a huge statement of intent.

• How could you not like Evra, legend

jayo26 wrote: »
    All the rags reckon we will sign griezmann and lukaku and belotti and then sign Keane for defence.

In fairness that was the Ladyman article that had us buying Griezmann and Keane and didn't mention anyone else.. the editor took it upon himself to add Lukaku and Belotti even though there was nothing in the article about them.

Yep. Daily mail!

• Advertisement

In fairness that was the Ladyman article that had us buying Griezmann and Keane and didn't mention anyone else.. the editor took it upon himself to add Lukaku and Belotti even though there was nothing in the article about them.

Yep. Daily mail!

Don't ruin it for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

If AG arrives and costs 100million, I cant see United spending as huge on more players.

More Bailly or Mkhitaryan type costs.

Good to see Valencia had contract extended. Hopefully more like Herrera, Blind will be agreed soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You do realize that he plays for Diego Simeone's Atletico Madrid don't you? They're not exactly known for carefree attacking football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    How could you not like Evra, legend

Some people didn't like this lol

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1121/257687-france_ireland1/

To be honest Ive been thinking this a lot and I think we might start flirting with a 352 formation to prevent the 433 from turning into a 451 all the time. If we need to score more goals we'll need more players up top. 352 might suit with the players we have. Just need Shaw to show up next year and I reckon Valencia and Shaw would be great wing backs.

Playing the crap teams at home we should be going 2 up top anyway. Greizemann and martial or rashford should be the way forward. In the big games away from home then he can put greizemann on the wing if needs be

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement