Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Probably Posted

Antonio Valencia has signed a contract extension with Manchester United that keeps him at the club until June 2019, with the option to extend for a further year.

• Probably Posted

Antonio Valencia has signed a contract extension with Manchester United that keeps him at the club until June 2019, with the option to extend for a further year.

Zerks 2.0 :P

• Nalz wrote: »

Looking back on it now it was embarrassing
    Not the handball but the 33 teams thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Half of Ireland signed up to Facebook just to try get the match replayed ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

jayo26 wrote: »
    Half of Ireland signed up to Facebook just to try get the match replayed ha.

Only the silly people signed up :)

bangkok wrote: »
    Only the silly people signed up :)

Exactly which is half of ireland

jayo26 wrote: »
    Exactly which is half of ireland

Id say 40% have no internet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

M!Ck^ wrote: »

What else would you expect from JD? The man is a complete embarrassment.

yabadabado wrote: »
    What else would you expect from JD? The man is a complete embarrassment.

He got 5m all the same. Probably took half it himself

But i do agree with you. He is a di*k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

GSPfan wrote: »
    To be honest Ive been thinking this a lot and I think we might start flirting with a 352 formation to prevent the 433 from turning into a 451 all the time. If we need to score more goals we'll need more players up top. 352 might suit with the players we have. Just need Shaw to show up next year and I reckon Valencia and Shaw would be great wing backs.

Would love to see us try the 352 again if Grizeman comes in. Would need a Kroos type player IMO for middle of the park and Shaw back to his best. Martial / Rashford up top with Grizeman alongside.
    But it would limit Mata and Lingard use in the team. Mikateryan could alternate with Pogba and Herrera.
    Would be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Robson99 wrote: »
    Would need a Kroos type player IMO for middle of the park and Shaw back to his best. Martial / Rashford up top

I wouldn't like to see any lineup that relies heavily upon players who haven't proven worthy of the responsibility. Give them more chances, sure, but we can't act or plan as if they are going to perform consistently for us.

Hope for the best but plan for the worst, so as far as I am concerned we need to get another first team left back and another first team striker, because relying on Shaw and Martial to come good would be a huge risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Seems to be the word around Spain today, actually think DeGea/United said no and they are just trying to save face

https://twitter.com/ultrasuristic_/status/868084471035297793

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Classic Real Madrid shít talk. Mark my words you'll see a headline soon saying (1) Zidane says he won't pay more than X for De Gea. (2) Zidane targets another player as they decide against signing De Gea. (3) De Gea tells friends he is desperate to join Real Madrid and will push for a move.

I think ddg learned his lesson last time I can't see him rocking the boat unless Madrid agree something with United or maybe he won't be interested at all.

Id say Madrid just have to shut up and pay what United want or else there's no deal. United and De Gea will say nothing after the last fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Been up to my eyeballs the last two days so I'm only now truly savouring what happened on Wednesday. Some people were laughing at Mourinho saying it was the biggest game in the club's history, but I don't remember many games where the consequences of losing and reward of winning were so stark in contrast.

FWIW in my time as a Utd fan the 1990 FA Cup 3rd round game which saved Fergie's job has been the biggest game, though at the time it just seemed a stay of execution. The significance of it was only realised as trophies piled up.

I think Wednesday could have a different type of significance in years to come. I hope it's looked back on as the spark which ignited a long and successful Mourinho era. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Lads I was starstruck earlier. Encountered everyone's favourite utility player, stand-in goalie and Ireland centurian John O'Shea in Dubrovnik airport waiting for a flight home. Happened to be on the same flight as me too and had a brief chat.

Couldn't meet a nicer fella. FWIW, he is adamant that Mourinho had identified the players he wants that suits his system and that United will be a force in the league next year.

Even helped a fella with his child's trolley getting onto the shuttle bus. And was obliging to anyone up asking for a pic/autograph etc. A gent :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

DM_7 wrote: »
    If AG arrives and costs 100million, I cant see United spending as huge on more players.

More Bailly or Mkhitaryan type costs.

This is my fear to be honest with AG - I think we really need a 20+ goals a season striker more than anything and if we buy AG will we have enough left to go for one? Definitely would prefer a striker over AG if it's one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

2017/18 Premier League fixtures released June 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

This is my fear to be honest with AG - I think we really need a 20+ goals a season striker more than anything and if we buy AG will we have enough left to go for one? Definitely would prefer a striker over AG if it's one or the other.

James Cooper on SSN today,said that Utd are after a CB,FB,CM and a CF

He makes out there will be one big signing and the others will be around the same price as Bailly and Mickey were last year

He also said that Jose like most clubs has A,B,C and D targets for each position

If Jose gets all his A targets he said spending will go well over last years spending

Either way its going to be an interesting summer ahead.

https://twitter.com/MufcDevilUpdate/status/868019799451947009

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I reckon Martial would get more than 20 goals if he was our striker for a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

I reckon Martial would get more than 20 goals if he was our striker for a season.

Not sure about that nor would I want to wait and see if it'll happen.

Would much prefer to get somebody who is known to have the ability to do so.

This year United had so many chances and nobody exactly put them away no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The Martial of 15/16 I would agree with you, but it's hard to be 100% sure that this season was just a blip. I do think he has the talent and potential to do so, but whether he has the motivation, I am not so sure. He just hasn't looked fully committed this year imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think a DM,CF and a wide attacker are the 3 positions in most need of attention. Sort those out for starters and the rest is a bonus .A FB,CB and probably another CM would be a bonus but I feel that they are lower on the list of priorities.
    I reckon a CB will be bought as I think a long term partner for Bailly will be something Jose wants sorted.

Gotta hope Shaw can get fit/convince Jose he's good enough and that's LB sorted .

• Advertisement

The Martial of 15/16 I would agree with you, but it's hard to be 100% sure that this season was just a blip. I do think he has the talent and potential to do so, but whether he has the motivation, I am not so sure. He just hasn't looked fully committed this year imo.

What everybody seems to forget is that the Martial of this season was evident in his debut season also. He had a lot of rubbish games games under Van Gaal, a lot of games where he was a peripheral figure or faded from the game completely, just as we have seen him do this season. He escaped criticism for it then because it was just his first season and because he started well, but those performances were there, they did not just start happening because Mourinho came in and held him back.

This is why I might seem down on Martial, because in my eyes its not just a poor run, its a standard of performance that has been there for well over a year now, he simply hasn't pushed on at all from his debut 2 years ago. And this isn't hindsight, here is what I said last March:

I don't say sell him, but there is no way we can say that he will march out next season and bag 20 goals because the evidence isn't there for that, and we would be fools to rely on him suddenly sparking into life.

And this isn't hindsight, here is what I said last March:

Its worth pointing out, here is a line from the post I was responding to last March...
    Martials attitude yesterday stank. If your into that sort of thing, I'm surprised he wasn't singled out more. The game wasn't going his way and he totally shrank.

No, Martials performances this season are nothing new whatsoever.

Déjà vu

I would be delighted if you're right but I think we should sign a proven striker just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

What everybody seems to forget is that the Martial of this season was evident in his debut season also. He had a lot of rubbish games games under Van Gaal, a lot of games where he was a peripheral figure or faded from the game completely, just as we have seen him do this season. He escaped criticism for it then because it was just his first season and because he started well, but those performances were there, they did not just start happening because Mourinho came in and held him back.

Similarly there were games this season where he was quite good and not the disinterested player that many seem to think he was all season.
    I don't say sell him, but there is no way we can say that he will march out next season and bag 20 goals because the evidence isn't there for that, and we would be fools to rely on him suddenly sparking into life.

17 goals in that van Gaal side when he was 19/20, some quality finishes too. Over the course of a season with Rashford, Mkhitaryan, and possibly Griezmann around him I'd say he'd easily reach 20.

Martial and Rashford are two of the best young attackers in Europe. Put Grizeman along side either of them and once Jose starts playing expansive football then they will score 20+ a season

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Robson99 wrote: »
    Martial and Rashford are two of the best young attackers in Europe. Put Grizeman along side either of them and once Jose starts playing expansive football then they will score 20+ a season

Did you miss the first 2/3s of the season where we created bucket loads of scoring opportunities in most games that the players, including Rashford and Martial, failed to convert?

Similarly there were games this season where he was quite good and not the disinterested player that many seem to think he was all season.

Sure he had good games, they were pretty noticeable in that after each of them people raved about him and hoped he was about to hit form. Middlesborough anyone?

The problem is that he didn't, there were far more lacklustre games than good games. We cannot afford that patchy sort of form from our strikers next season.
    17 goals in that van Gaal side when he was 19/20, some quality finishes too. Over the course of a season with Rashford, Mkhitaryan, and possibly Griezmann around him I'd say he'd easily reach 20.

I would be happy if he did. I wouldn't bet our season upon it though.

Right lads I'm sorry in advance but have a watch of this link of Zabaleta surprising some fans on his last day at City. You are already thinking "Wrong thread" but watch to the end. The little young fella's reaction is priceless. Mini Zaba.

Had me crying happy tears. Lovely moment. Fúck club rivalry, this is beautiful.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-take-a-bow-legends-watch-pablo-zabaleta-surprises-manchester-city-fans-before-leaving-20170526

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Right lads I'm sorry in advance but have a watch of this link of Zabaleta surprising some fans on his last day at City. You are already thinking "Wrong thread" but watch to the end. The little young fella's reaction is priceless. Mini Zaba.

Had me crying happy tears. Lovely moment. Fúck club rivalry, this is beautiful.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-take-a-bow-legends-watch-pablo-zabaleta-surprises-manchester-city-fans-before-leaving-20170526

That's just a love of football great to see whatever the club

Did you miss the first 2/3s of the season where we created bucket loads of scoring opportunities in most games that the players, including Rashford and Martial, failed to convert?

No but I believe we need to build around them. And Grizeman would be ideal to get the best out of them

sky88 wrote: »
    That's just a love of football great to see whatever the club

Solid no nonsense player too, mostly. City's Denis Irwin. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Great player and seems a sound lad.

https://twitter.com/antogriezmann/status/868198963630845952

All the rumours are unfounded, I'm still Colchonero (Atletico player). My orientation will be established after discussion with my Sports Advisor (Agent)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

People always talk about how assured the defence is when DDG is in goal.

At the other end maybe United were snatching at chances as they didn't have have great confidence in themselves or those around them. Its why I think Zlatan scored so many, he has unreal confidence so did not let a miss give him negative thoughts on the next chance.

I have no doubt in a buzzing team, Martial will score lots of goals. As would Rashford. Pogba amd Mkhitaryan would get more in a team really believing in themselves.

I dont expect United to change much in overall approach next season. In big games Jose will come up with a specific plan. Its the regular at home where he needs to bring more width to create more space for those lads to work in.

Sounds like negotiations are getting all negotiationy.

Griezmann trying to back track a bit just incase it all falls apart. Id say United aren't willing to pay the release fee.

• Advertisement

Sounds like negotiations are getting all negotiationy.

Griezmann trying to back track a bit just incase it all falls apart. Id say United aren't willing to pay the release fee.

Sounds to me that he is just enjoying his holidays and hasn't decided anything and will decide when he gets back

astradave wrote: »
    Sounds to me that he is just enjoying his holidays and hasn't decided anything and will decide when he gets back

I would be putting good money that Griezmann has already agreed to it in principal and is just waiting on the clubs to agree a fee. After Griezmann effectively announced it on tv Id say it was a bit premature and he has to roll back just incase. If he hasn't made his mind up by now and United are still chasing him then we're idiots. I highly doubt that's the case.

DM_7 wrote: »
    I have no doubt in a buzzing team, Martial will score lots of goals. As would Rashford. Pogba amd Mkhitaryan would get more in a team really believing in themselves.

This is one of the things I don't like about our current squad. Anybody can be great when the whole team is buzzing, where are the characters that will stand up and perform when everybody else is doing poor? We cant have 4/5 attackers all waiting for somebody else to make things happen before they start performing.

This day last year.

13321722_10153776952252746_8959625114437755568_n.jpg?oh=c80874e5e8ed9d7256e003d6b400017d&oe=59AFB83C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Korat wrote: »
    So Jose Mourinho wins trophies, who'd have guessed. Oh ye of little faith.

It's predictable that people who hated him from the start will now complain about the style of our most successful season since Fergie left but seriously go watch Liverpool or Arsenal if winning trophies isn't the most important outcome of a season.

Stupid post. I can't recall any United supporter who claimed Jose wouldn't win trophies. The style of play was pretty much all they complained about throughout the season so don't act as if it's suddenly an issue after winning a trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The style of play was perfectly acceptable, wonderful at times until the final month or two of the season, don't act like the style of play has been an issue.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

The style of play was perfectly acceptable, wonderful at times until the final month or two of the season, don't act like the style of play has been an issue.

I must have dreamt about all those posts from multiple posters who were often disillusioned at some of our performances and approaches to games.

13 years ago yesterday, Alan Smith signed from Leeds United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I must have dreamt about all those posts from multiple posters who were often disillusioned at some of our performances and approaches to games.

Liverpool fans or Chelcelonaich City fans opinion of Jose or Manchester United do not count because they are so ridiculously skewed they are gone beyond parody.

There were not multiple posters (United fans) often disillusioned with our performances, there were a few but of those, they admittedly hate Jose and didn't want him at the club in the first place so their criticism bordered on parody.

Of course there was some criticism, that's par for the course.

Of course there was some annoyance, that's par for the course.

Of course there was some head scratching with relation to some of the tactics / substitutions, that's par for the course.

But multiple posters (United fans) often disillusioned?

Not even close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

After seeing Evra video from few days ago im not sure if its normal self or if he bat sh!t crazy.

But I love it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement