Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Stupid post. I can't recall any United supporter who claimed Jose wouldn't win trophies. The style of play was pretty much all they complained about throughout the season so don't act as if it's suddenly an issue after winning a trophy.

Bollocks

There was serious concern that his methods were no longer effective and there was an expectation among some Utd fans that this season would end in tears.

I don't know what planet you've been living on, maybe your only interaction with other Utd fans is this board. Of course there are some fans who would have been concerned about Mourinho's pragmatic style at some of his previous clubs but after the dirge of LVG that argument was less important than whether Mourinho could arrest the club's decline and bring it back to the top table.

You could see by Mourinho's reaction on Wednesday what it meant to him to win that trophy because his obituaries as a top coach were ready to print and he knew it. The manner of the win was irrelevant to everyone but internet trolls and Graeme Souness. Confounding those who doubted he could still bring in the trophies and deliver CL football was what mattered.

But nevermind any of that reality you carry on with your own narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Agree guys the narrative after the first 10 league games was that pep was naturally suited to English football and Jose was the old guy that didn't have the same influence anymore and wouldn't be able to keep up with Klopp and pep and conte with trophies.

Hopefully Jose never changes I want the cranky snarky fecker to stay exactly as he is get under the skin if everyone else especially all the poet's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The style of play was pretty much all they complained about throughout the season

Last season perhaps. You must have missed this seasons play, you're in for a real treat when the season review dvd gets released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

I love the man

ActualGranularHerculesbeetle.gif

One cup win has one set of fans signing a petition against the word "we" and another complaining about a song ;)

Woohoo bitches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Korat wrote: »
    Stupid post. I can't recall any United supporter who claimed Jose wouldn't win trophies. The style of play was pretty much all they complained about throughout the season so don't act as if it's suddenly an issue after winning a trophy.

Bollocks

There was serious concern that his methods were no longer effective and there was an expectation among some Utd fans that this season would end in tears.

I don't know what planet you've been living on, maybe your only interaction with other Utd fans is this board. Of course there are some fans who would have been concerned about Mourinho's pragmatic style at some of his previous clubs but after the dirge of LVG that argument was less important than whether Mourinho could arrest the club's decline and bring it back to the top table.

You could see by Mourinho's reaction on Wednesday what it meant to him to win that trophy because his obituaries as a top coach were ready to print and he knew it. The manner of the win was irrelevant to everyone but internet trolls and Graeme Souness. Confounding those who doubted he could still bring in the trophies and deliver CL football was what mattered.

But nevermind any of that reality you carry on with your own narrative.

You're the only one creating a narrative to suit your agenda against anyone who has a bad word to say about the manager.

I don't recall any United fan on here predicting Jose wouldn't win trophies at the club. Even those who didn't want him said he would deliver trophies but they still weren't comfortable with the style of play and his personality.

People are not suddenly questioning Mourinho's approach because he won a EL. People haven't liked his approach for more than a decade.

When it became clear that LVG wasn't working and had to go, Mourinho wasn't my first or second or third choice to replace him. I never had a concern about the style of play, it was manner of his Chelsea exit and I, like many others, was sucked in by the some of the analysis that his time(his way of operating) had passed.

It would suprise me if some of the players didn't think the same. Having four managers in four years doesn't do much to motivate players to commit to a new manager's 'philosophy' if they think he could be gone by the time they get back from their latest injury.

I think winning the EL gives everyone some surity that Jose is going to be around for a long time so players now know that it's Mourinho's way or the door but if you can buy into it you'll win a lot of trophies.

People haven't liked his approach for more than a decade.

More, it's 13 years since Porto knocked us out of the CL because a stupid linesman ruled Paul Scholes' goal offside. 14 if you're a Hoops fan too.

I've argued the point on Mourinho's style and whether it's a one fits all or whether he tailors to what he has at his disposal countless times. I'm done with it.

The bottomline concern about his appointment from day 1 was delivering success and whether he could do it.

• This is one of the things I don't like about our current squad. Anybody can be great when the whole team is buzzing, where are the characters that will stand up and perform when everybody else is doing poor? We cant have 4/5 attackers all waiting for somebody else to make things happen before they start performing.

Valid point. This is something that still needs to be addressed, too many times this season it was "shrug the shoulder stuff". Pogba suffered alot this season because of this. He supplied the chances and they were not being put away. He reacted and towards the latter end of certain games he at least attempted to win the game himself (sometimes failing).
    Imo Ibra filled that void at times this season also. (Especially evident in the cup final).

• GSPfan wrote: »
    Right lads I'm sorry in advance but have a watch of this link of Zabaleta surprising some fans on his last day at City. You are already thinking "Wrong thread" but watch to the end. The little young fella's reaction is priceless. Mini Zaba.

Had me crying happy tears. Lovely moment. Fúck club rivalry, this is beautiful.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-take-a-bow-legends-watch-pablo-zabaleta-surprises-manchester-city-fans-before-leaving-20170526

Pop that into "The Good Side". Great stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

This is one of the things I don't like about our current squad. Anybody can be great when the whole team is buzzing, where are the characters that will stand up and perform when everybody else is doing poor? We cant have 4/5 attackers all waiting for somebody else to make things happen before they start performing.

It was martial who stood up and counted during the FA cup run.

Vs Everton in the semi finals he assisted the first goal and scored superb goal in the 92nd min to win 2-1
    Vs West Ham away, assisted the first goal for Rashford in QF replay.
    Vs West Ham home, he scored the goal in last few mins to draw the game and take us to the replay.

In the QFs and SFs it was Martial show.

I don't the problem is standing up when needed, it's lacking hunger for goals. It's like Jose said in the interview, consistently having that high intensity to win the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

jayo26 wrote: »
    Agree guys the narrative after the first 10 league games was that pep was naturally suited to English football and Jose was the old guy that didn't have the same influence anymore and wouldn't be able to keep up with Klopp and pep and conte with trophies.

Hopefully Jose never changes I want the cranky snarky fecker to stay exactly as he is get under the skin if everyone else especially all the poet's.

Ya,its funny now looking back and all the pundits were really excited about Pep ball,he tried to get City to play like Bayern and Shearer and the boys went into full Pep fan boys mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ya,its funny now looking back and all the pundits were really excited about Pep ball,he tried to get City to play like Bayern and Shearer and the boys went into full Pep fan boys mode.

https://twitter.com/JamesRobsonMEN/status/868400575662223361

He's being given £300 million to try to get his philosophy to work.I wonder what his excuse will be next season after other teams didn't play fair and lie down against them in the past season.

Jose adapts his teams to play in certain games,he knew Ajax couldn't handle our physicality and height so set up accordingly,Ajax moaned but we won.Winning is everything,nobody remembers runners up.

zerks wrote: »

Jose is in Monaco.

I think everyone but Fernando Alonso is this weekend. :p

Haha funny how one story from Spain can completely change how UK press report transfers they really are lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is the problem with Martial that Blind and Darmian offer no help going forward.

He gets no support and has to take on two people.

I wouldn't blame anyone else for martial season he had an off one. He could easily turn around in next season and have an stormed it's not unheard of young players to have bad seasons.

If he stays with United this summer next season will be a massive one for him.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I don't the problem is standing up when needed, it's lacking hunger for goals. It's like Jose said in the interview, consistently having that high intensity to win the games.

Its all coming from the same place in my mind, call it character or whatever but I don't see that same drive from a lot of our players that we used to see from the real top class players that came before them.

Remember a young Rooney angry and snarling on the field, demanding the ball and looking to make things happen, or a young Ronaldo constantly demanding the ball and looking to take players on. I don't see that same drive from our current squad, there are far too many passive characters there, junior and senior, all waiting for somebody else to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

I wouldn't blame anyone else for martial season he had an off one. He could easily turn around in next season and have an stormed it's not unheard of young players to have bad seasons.

If he stays with United this summer next season will be a massive one for him.

Its been for longer than one season.

Time will tell and hopefully he can finally push on, but if we get to christmas and its still the same old story with Martial, the same routine of starting a game well and then fading out of it completely, of having a good game every couple of months, then we will need to call a spade a spade and decide what to do with him.

• Advertisement

Its been for longer than one season.

Time will tell and hopefully he can finally push on, but if we get to christmas and its still the same old story with Martial, the same routine of starting a game well and then fading out of it completely, of having a good game every couple of months, then we will need to call a spade a spade and decide what to do with him.

I agree with you im not making excuses for him at all or even close to it but to put into perspective the kid that scored against palace that everyone is saying has a great future ahead of him is only 4 weeks younger then martial.

Martial needs to show some desire and fight for his career consistently he has loads of time and talent but he needs to show whatever jose sees in rashford he needs to show himself.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Is the problem with Martial that Blind and Darmian offer no help going forward.

He gets no support and has to take on two people.

I'd forgive him if that were the case but often he's faced with one defender and rarely tries burn them on the outside and swing in a cross instead he dawdles on the ball looking to try come inside then weave his way forward, the time it takes before he eventually releases the ball has allowed the defence to reorganise and get set, that's if he hasn't already been dispossessed.

He had a terrible season. I don't think many similar performances will be tolerated next season before he's on the transfer list.

I hope he gets a kick up the ass this summer and turns it on next season but if not, goodbye and good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Its all coming from the same place in my mind, call it character or whatever but I don't see that same drive from a lot of our players that we used to see from the real top class players that came before them.

Remember a young Rooney angry and snarling on the field, demanding the ball and looking to make things happen, or a young Ronaldo constantly demanding the ball and looking to take players on. I don't see that same drive from our current squad, there are far too many passive characters there, junior and senior, all waiting for somebody else to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.
    They are just nowhere near as good as Rooney & Ronaldo. Easy for them to have that attitude when they were the best players in the league.
    Rashford & Martial 2 good young players but nothing special about them at all.

MD1990 wrote: »
    They are just nowhere near as good as Rooney & Ronaldo. Easy for them to have that attitude when they were the best players in the league.

They were the best players in the league because of that attitude, without it Ronaldo would have been just another mercurial but inconsistent winger.

Its got nothing to do with talent or being as good as Ronaldo, its all about attitude. You have to have that drive within yourself to push on all the time, not be waiting for the manager or captain to drag you forward. Your level of innate talent is irrelevant, its how much drive you have to make the most of what you have.

When I look at many of our players I don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Your right.

We should probably sell both of them for a mil/few hundred grand and cut our losses. Id say in 2 years they'll both probably most likely be playing for mid table championship teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

If Martial is sold I have a feeling we will end up regretting it.

https://twitter.com/ManUtdUpdates_/status/868437260055621633

Jose on Griezmann: "I have no idea. You'll have to ask Ed Woodward. He knows since March who I want,how much I want,he knows everything."

They were the best players in the league because of that attitude, without it Ronaldo would have been just another mercurial but inconsistent winger.

Its got nothing to do with talent or being as good as Ronaldo, its all about attitude. You have to have that drive within yourself to push on all the time, not be waiting for the manager or captain to drag you forward. Your level of innate talent is irrelevant, its how much drive you have to make the most of what you have.

When I look at many of our players I don't see it.

I think we have a few players with that attitude but not as much talent. Herrera, rojo, Toni v, bailly, mata and an unpopular one I think pogba does too but maybe not as bad add as Rooney but he has a good attitude on pitch.

I think we have a few players with that attitude but not as much talent. Herrera, rojo, Toni v, bailly, mata and an unpopular one I think pogba does too but maybe not as bad add as Rooney but he has a good attitude on pitch.

Yep, we do have a few players that show that bit extra. And its no surprise that those players listed are the ones that have thrived this season when the manager demanded more from the squad.

The problem is all the others, and talent be damned if they aren't going to toe the line and start doing the necessary then ship them out and move on.

• Advertisement

Yep, we do have a few players that show that bit extra. And its no surprise that those players listed are the ones that have thrived this season when the manager demanded more from the squad.

The problem is all the others, and talent be damned if they aren't going to toe the line and start doing the necessary then ship them out and move on.

Yep said same few weeks ago they are the ones that have progressed under Jose and are the ones he seems to trust he seems to have same feelings with Radford and fellaini too I forgot to add to the list. He claimed yesterday he would play for the manager with broken bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ManUtdUpdates_/status/868437260055621633

Jose on Griezmann: "I have no idea. You'll have to ask Ed Woodward. He knows since March who I want,how much I want,he knows everything."

Jose has passed the responsibility of transfers completely over to Woodward now. After the EL final, in his interview he said he was done and dusted and on his holidays and that now it was Woodwards time to work.

At least we know Jose has his side of the transfer business done in plenty of time, as seems to be the case in his previous clubs.

Let's hope Woody can get things done quickly now too :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Dont undersestimate the influence of SAF there. He was a key reason they had that attitude and flourished.

They had problems influencing games when United were struggling and they were young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Nothing special about rashford and martial???!! Haha i'll have whatever you are smoking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There's something special about Rashford. Martial? I'm less and less convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

bangkok wrote: »
    Nothing special about rashford and martial???!! Haha i'll have whatever you are smoking

Rashford has huge potential, think he's wasted on the wing where he's not effective enough so he needs more time at CF to develop to his max in the next couple of years. Hard to know will this happen if UTD are hellbent on signing a big name CF.

Serious question marks over Martial (attitude maybe) but last season he looked very impressive. I don't think he's at the level of Rooney and Ronaldo at that age though.

I think everyone saw immediately there was something special about Ronaldo and also Rooney. Can still remember Ronaldo's debut against Bolton and I'm an Arsenal fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Need to remember that Martial is only 21 years old!! Yes Rashford is younger and has sprung on the scene quicker but that doesn't mean everyone can. I still have faith in Tony Martial and would definitely give him another season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Need to remember that Martial is only 21 years old!! Yes Rashford is younger and has sprung on the scene quicker but that doesn't mean everyone can. I still have faith in Tony Martial and would definitely give him another season.

He won't get enough time with Utd's buys this Summer to prove himself I would say. There will be a huge amount of competition for 3 places at the front that team, someone has to lose out. Rashford, Miki, Griezmann possibly, Lukaku possibly, Martial, then you have players like Lingard, Mata, Rooney, Ibra also looking for time. Obviously unlikely they will all be there but still a lot of competition (which is a good thing ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

If Martial is sold I have a feeling we will end up regretting it.

Couldn't agree more he's an immense talent!

The style of play was perfectly acceptable, wonderful at times until the final month or two of the season, don't act like the style of play has been an issue.

Unfortunately there's a bit of recency bias going on with judging our overall form for the season. I even had to remind myself of that when reflecting on our season as a whole.

It was phases of form, with our 'worst' performances, for me anyway, coming in the final part of the season. At a point when there were around 50 games accumulated and onward, when the squad was thinning through injuries and the odd departure.

There were stages in the season where I was very happy with the style of play, even in games where we didn't get the win like in those draws earlier in the season where we created many good chances.

The last 6-8 weeks in the league were trying, but it is wrong to use them as an example of how United played all season.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more he's an immense talent!

12 months ago maybe, he's looked more like Memphis this year.

Jose still seems to have faith in him so hopefully it's just second season syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Reports on Italy are saying Ivan perisic has chosen to join us for 45m euro

I wonder if we have agreed to let him :D

astradave wrote: »

Always loved him ;)

Always loved him ;)

Another player that plays from the right..

Another player that plays from the right..

I thought he was more left and central?

I thought he was more left and central?

Maybe I'm mixing it up, thought he was playing more from the right with Inter this year, oops :D

Maybe I'm mixing it up, thought he was playing more from the right with Inter this year, oops :D

He could of mate i haven't seen much of him this year im just going by fifa haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Don't really know much about him where's he play normally?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Don't really know much about him where's he play normally?

According to who scored he played 25 times this season from the left and I seen him a few times he seemed more central I couldn't see us signing another lefty tho we have loads down that side it would surely mean martial is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So I am doing some work in the garden.

First neighbour - that was some ****e ye played on Wednesday. Jose will ruin ye.

Second neighbour - can't stand that moaning f Mourinho

Third neighbour - Souness would be a good manager for ya. He knows where Jose is going wrong.

I am so happy. Jose has bought the salt back :D

Discodog wrote: »
    So I am doing some work in the garden.

First neighbour - that was some ****e ye played on Wednesday. Jose will ruin ye.

Second neighbour - can't stand that moaning f Mourinho

Third neighbour - Souness would be a good manager for ya. He knows where Jose is going wrong.

I am so happy. Jose has bought the salt back :D

That sounds like hell I would be moving

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement