Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

Big week for united coming up. Draw at least against city and a win against Swansea and we will be ahead of Liverpool this time next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I didn't get to see the game, was it a good performance or just a workmanlike one?

More specifically, did Martial and Rooney do well for the full 90 minutes or just have a few moments?

Delighted with the victory and the past week though, this squad is showing real character right now despite a few roadblocks in their way.

Martial was fantastic for the 80 mins he played and Rooney put in a professional display without doing anything of note bar the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I know ye lot will rip me to shreds but what's with all the loser talk. Utd huge favourites for top 4 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

niallo27 wrote: »
    I know ye lot will rip me to shreds but what's with all the loser talk. Utd huge favourites for top 4 now.

To play City Arsenal and Spurs in the run in, no way we are "huge" favourites. If we beat City we will be favourites but still not huge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Not at all I'd eat my hat if United make top four. Sure Liverpool have all their hard games out of the way easy run in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I didn't get to see the game, was it a good performance or just a workmanlike one?

More specifically, did Martial and Rooney do well for the full 90 minutes or just have a few moments?

Delighted with the victory and the past week though, this squad is showing real character right now despite a few roadblocks in their way.

It was a good performance without being spectacular. Martial played up front and looked like last years player. Worked very hard and looked very dangerous culminating in a beautiful counter attacking goal that he scored.

Rooney wasn't great but did get on the score sheet.

Pogba had one of his more impressive games for Utd and played some lovely stuff and was very involved.

Fellaini sat the deepest of the three midfielders and did an excellent job. Really protected the back four very well. Bailly was fantastic, cleaning everything up when there was danger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Every time we get our hopes up this year (and indeed the last four years), we make a balls of it, so I think everyone has been burned once too often to start thinking too positively :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Utd are 13/8 on bet365 to make top four. Liverpool are 8/15. I bet on utd earlier on in the season. Would I be stupid putting a sneaky €20 on them now???

The run in is horrific on paper for utd.

Liverpool have 4 left, Watford (away), Southampton (home), West ham (away) and home to Middlesbrough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Nope, I'd still rather have Liverpool or City's league position and run in over United's.

Now if United beat City and Liverpool drop *more* points against Watford I'll get a lot more optimistic.

Utd aren't huge favourites in anyone's head but Nialls. He's just doing the opposite of what he claims Utd fans are doing.

• Advertisement

• niallo27 wrote: »

That's the thing though niallo, it's not loser talk
    It's called being grounded and not shooting the February load
    Loads of work to do, the EL is still priority in my eyes because it's an actual trophy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

enzo roco wrote: »
    Utd are 13/8 on bet365 to make top four. Liverpool are 8/15. I bet on utd earlier on in the season. Would I be stupid putting a sneaky ?20 on them now???

The run in is horrific on paper for utd.

Liverpool have 4 left, Watford (away), Southampton (home), West ham (away) and home to Middlesbrough.

I wouldn't put a penny on Utd to make top 4. The remaining fixtures along with our horrific injuries, and propensity to constantly screw up good opportunities would dissuade me from ever backing them this season.

We will drop more points this season, I'm thinking quite a few more too. We would need both Liverpool and City to klopp up massively for us to make top 4.

adox wrote: »
    Utd aren't huge favourites in anyone's head but Nialls. He's just doing the opposite of what he claims Utd fans are doing.

It's like going into a match thread saying they will win two nill and if they get beaten claiming that The fans were all confident if the win.

Any news on Pogbas injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'd expect Liverpool do get 12 points from their last 4 games all straightforward for them.
    They are clearly in the driving seat for top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Yeah he just wants to make it look like a disaster if Utd don't get top four and a great achievement if Liverpool do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

Huge favorites! Would love to bet in the bookies you set odds at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Still plenty of twists and turns to come I reckon. The league is well and truly alive atm. Exciting and nervy times to be a fan.

Now for Barca vs Ronaldo

Yeah need to get the name of his bookie. What a clown :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Nope. As of right now City 1/12, Liverpool 8/15, United 7/4. http://www.paddypower.com/football/uk-football/premier-league?ev_oc_grp_ids=111188

If we get there, it's because City or Liverpool couldn't hack the pressure and completely bottled it.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote:
    I'd expect Liverpool do get 12 points from their last 4 games all straightforward for them. They are clearly in the driving seat for top 4

They haven't beaten Southampton or west ham since 2015.

thomasj wrote: »
    They haven't beaten Southampton or west ham since 2015.

You gotta fight fire with fire ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

This has been one mad season! Thursday is f*cking massive now! :eek:

yabadabado wrote:
    You gotta fight fire with fire

Oh! I get ya now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

martial excellent today. hopefully he can push on now for rest of season

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is one match at a time.

No one knows where all this ends, it could be great, it could be bad, it could be ok.
    We can only go from one match to the next and see from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

4 of our last 6 are away to Tottenham, Arsenal, City and Southampton and then at home to Swansea (who will have nothing to lose as they fight relegation) and a rejuvenated Palace.

The arse could still fall out of it yet.

Mourinho said today it's better to win trophies than get top 4 and that his priority was for Europa league. Mind games?

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Nope. As of right now City 1/12, Liverpool 8/15, United 7/4. http://www.paddypower.com/football/uk-football/premier-league?ev_oc_grp_ids=111188

If we get there, it's because City or Liverpool couldn't hack the pressure and completely bottled it.

How can you bottle it if it is out of your hands.

thelad95 wrote: »
    4 of our last 6 are away to Tottenham, Arsenal, City and Southampton and then at home to Swansea (who will have nothing to lose as they fight relegation) and a rejuvenated Palace.

The arse could still fall out of it yet.

Yep I still think it's a crazy long shot because of how we have ****ed up this season but it's great fun to have big games at this stage of sesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

thomasj wrote: »
    Mourinho said today it's better to win trophies than get top 4 and that his priority was for Europa league. Mind games?

On Sky Sports they think it was having a go at Pep and Wenger, but that was before they completed their game.

As whoever lost would definitely win no trophy this season.

RobertKK wrote: »
    On Sky Sports they think it was having a go at Pep and Wenger, but that was before they completed their game.

As whoever lost would definitely win no trophy this season.

Of course they did it's always about someone else it can never be simple old school mind games taking the pressure off his team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Do you lads reckon you'll be able to pull out 4 wins or 3 wins and 3 draws from your remaining 6? The way I see it Liverpool should be winning 3 of their last 4 games, putting them on 75 points. For United to achieve the same they'd need to do as stated above, just wondering how much of a possibility you lads think that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Do you lads reckon you'll be able to pull out 4 wins or 3 wins and 3 draws from your remaining 6? The way I see it Liverpool should be winning 3 of their last 4 games, putting them on 75 points. For United to achieve the same they'd need to do as stated above, just wondering how much of a possibility you lads think that is.

Never know which team is gonna turn up, story of our season, play every game like we did at home to Chelsea and we won't drop a point, play like we did 3 days later against Anderlecht and we'll be lucky to get 10 out of our remaining 18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

How can you bottle it if it is out of your hands.
    Because united are not likely to win all their remaining games. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Nope.

We will drop points, there are too many games and too many injures, never mind the EL semi.

Barring a MASSIVE cock up from those above then we will not get top 4.

Of course it's possible but only the most blindly faithful fan would think it likely.

IMO.

I wouldn't be at all confident I'd say nine points maximum but pool will win all there's it's an easy run in sure.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Because united are not likely to win all their remaining games. Simple.

So your saying utd will bottle it.

2 of your last 4 games are against west ham and Southampton. You haven't won against west ham or Southampton since 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Nope...... But if we qualify for top 4 its because Liverpool did a Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Nope.

We will drop points, there are too many games and too many injures, never mind the EL semi.

Barring a MASSIVE cock up from those above then we will not get top 4.

Of course it's possible but only the most blindly faithful fan would think it likely.

IMO.

Can't say I'm hoping for anything less from ye :p

Regardless I'm sure Liverpool will make it interesting along the way, we're not shy of a few massive cock ups sure.

Do Pool not get automatic CL qualification from winning the October Cup ?

Bottling it would be coming from a 10 point advantage to missing out on top four. United are still 3 points behind Liverpool and 1 behind city if we fail it's because we failed over the course of the season to convert chances and with injuries and added games because of hunting for actual trophies.

No matter what way you try spin it there is not much confidence in here that United will make top four just excitement to be in the middle if big games and the hunt for it.

We cant bottle it because we have always been behind and have not been favourites for top four for a long time.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Do Pool not get automatic CL qualification from winning the October Cup ?

No they get it if they can hang on to top spot in the sprint league.

The sky the grass the whole world is so beautiful on a day like today :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's not bottling it.

It's slipping up.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Bottling it would be coming from a 20 point advantage to missing out on top four. United are still 3 points behind Liverpool and 1 behind city if we fail it's because we failed over the course of the season to convert chances and with injuries and added games because of hunting for actual trophies.

No matter what way you try spin it there is not much confidence in here that United will make top four just excitement to be in the middle if big games and the hunt for it.

We cant bottle it because we have always been behind and have nit been favourites for top four for a long time.

So your saying if Liverpool lose games or even if they don't they will have bottled it but if utd lose games and they can even afford to lose one and still qualify lose a few games they can't bottle it. That makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

No, we have to play 3 games where we're clear underdogs. Bookies have us at 3/1 to win on Thursday alone.

It's really not that complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I like how they are trying to cover all angles

United don't get top 4 - bottlers
    United do get top 4 - well you were huge favourites anyhow

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement