Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I'd love to see Martial in the Liverpool team, I think he has seriously potential but joses style of play does not suit him at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I definitely wouldn't sell Martial. I'm not sure what to make of him to be honest but I would prefer to find out while he's at United. I think he's a class finisher and that alone is worth hanging onto.

The Perisic rumour is interesting. Inter need money fairly quickly I think to avoid FFP sanctions. But I think selling Perisic would be yet another mistake for Inter. He's an excellent player for them. He could certainly add something different for United. I think he could be a crowd favourite at OT, even though the transfer may seem underwhelming.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

United have Rashford and Martial. That is it up front.

I dont think links to Perisic means Jose will see Martial.

With Champions League next season United will have plenty of games to go around again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

DM_7 wrote: »
    United have Rashford and Martial. That is it up front.

I dont think links to Perisic means Jose will see Martial.

With Champions League next season United will have plenty of games to go around again.

I honestly think the only thing stopping a sale of Martial is to find a good buyer. You are right there'll be loads of games and that's why if he sells Martial he will replace him. I think he will replace him with Lukaku or someone like that who is proven and goes straight in to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Was told a few weeks back that Keane is all but done and likely to be the first major signing of the summer. Seems to be the word around Manchester anyway, from what my family there tell me.

I'm really wary of that signing. He has definitely shown promise but the likely fee is very high for a guy with a small amount of good seasons behind him in a side set up for players like him to succeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

GSPfan wrote: »
    I honestly think the only thing stopping a sale of Martial is to find a good buyer. You are right there'll be loads of games and that's why if he sells Martial he will replace him. I think he will replace him with Lukaku or someone like that who is proven and goes straight in to the team.

Or Martial being happy at ManUtd. There isn't a single proper source which says Martial will be sold, I think you are reading way too much between the lines.

Perisic plays on both wings btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'm really wary of that signing. He has definitely shown promise but the likely fee is very high for a guy with a small amount of good seasons behind him in a side set up for players like him to succeed.

Low 20 million for an English defender with over 50 games experience and in top form? If his name was stones he would cost 50 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

IMO it's just frustrating that he was sold in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Into the last year of his contract I believe so it wouldn't be as exorbitant as other young homegrown players fees.

I havnt seen anything of him to have any kind of opinion but if Jose has a knack foe getting worldies in any position it's defence so that's good enough for me.

We need more defenders anyway, that bus ain't gonna drive itself.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Or Martial being happy at ManUtd. There isn't a single proper source which says Martial will be sold, I think you are reading way too much between the lines.

Perisic plays on both wings btw.

He only played 2 games on right last year for inter and 2 threw the middle the rest was over 30 on the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

jayo26 wrote: »
    He only played 2 games on right last year for inter and 2 threw the middle the rest was over 30 on the left.

Before that he played few more games as RW, before that in Bundesliga he played many games as RW.

It's not just starting position, he switches to right side often in the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd say until we sign any given player we should consider any reports of transfer bids and contract offers could be for backup targets - to have a number of deals in place.

Could also be we have failed on other targets and got to peresic on the list.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Before that he played few more games as RW, before that in Bundesliga he played many games as RW.

It's not just starting position, he switches to right side often in the games.

Ok fair enough so I won't argue as haven't seen loads of him at all.

I'd say until we sign any given player we should consider any reports of transfer bids and contract offers could be for backup targets - to have a number of deals in place.

Could also be we have failed on other targets and got to peresic on the list.

Could be I seen a story say we were linked to Lucas of psg now he would be someone that would get me very excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Woke up to see Carrick has signed a new deal! That was unexpected

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Giggernaut

On Keane, if we are to buy the chap back why the hell don't we have conditions on resale like a reduction, set amount,even send him on loan?
    It's a lot if cash 30m for a player who left the club only a short time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Giggernaut wrote: »
    On Keane, if we are to buy the chap back why the hell don't we have conditions on resale like a reduction, set amount,even send him on loan?

We have a 20 or 25% sell on clause so we will get him for cheaper anyways

Giggernaut wrote: »

There is some conditions on his sale apparently. United do fine financially so I'd leave the business decisions to them. They do seemingly burn money but It's their money to waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

jayo26 wrote: »
    Low 20 million for an English defender with over 50 games experience and in top form? If his name was stones he would cost 50 million.

And that's the issue right? We haven't had a top young English CB come through in over a decade, but we are still paying high prices for guys with low appearance numbers. If anything, Stones proves my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Surely we have seen that Jose puts attitude & mentality ahead of ability. Whether Martial stays will be entirely up to whether he is willing to put in the effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I can see the positives to buying Keane.Young,English and a proven EPL player.25m is fook all to United and would hope when he was sold that there are plenty of resale conditions that are favorable to United so he may cost a lot less than the rumours.

Jose has proven over the years he can buy defenders,he seems to have a good eye for them.A CB is needed as I dont think Jones,Smalling or Rojo will be a long term partner for Bailly.I think if Keane comes in then one of the above 3 is sold.

one worry about Keane is he is coming from Burnley who are basically set up to defend and pack their defence,it will be interesting to see how he copes when he is expected to be an attacking out let/play out from the back.

If I had a choice of buying a CB from EPL I think Van Dijk would be the best choice(of who is realistic).imo he is a few levels above Keane.

Either way I will be happy if a CB is bought with the goal of having a regular partnership with Bailly,I always thought it was very important to have a settled defense.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I can see the positives to buying Keane.Young,English and a proven EPL player.25m is fook all to United and would hope when he was sold that there are plenty of resale conditions that are favorable to United so he may cost a lot less than the rumours.

Jose has proven over the years he can buy defenders,he seems to have a good eye for them.A CB is needed as I dont think Jones,Smalling or Rojo will be a long term partner for Bailly.I think if Keane comes in then one of the above 3 is sold.

one worry about Keane is he is coming from Burnley who are basically set up to defend and pack their defence,it will be interesting to see how he copes when he is expected to be an attacking out let/play out from the back.

If I had a choice of buying a CB from EPL I think Van Dijk would be the best choice(of who is realistic).imo he is a few levels above Keane.

Either way I will be happy if a CB is bought with the goal of having a regular partnership with Bailly,I always thought it was very important to have a settled defense.
    I really think a big consideration on Keane is that he would count as club trained (not just country trained) for the purpose of Uefa quota.

I also think Keane would ultimately be getting signed as a squad player long term - with the idea that we might look to spend big money on a cb next summer, with mourinho feeling he can build a good enough defence from bailly, Rojo, Keane, tuanzebe, fosu-mensah and maybe one (or neither) from smalling and Jones.

I think he knows he needs to reinforce defence but it is a lesser priority than other positions this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

DiMarizio saying we offers €35m for Perisic but Inter want €55-60m.

Also said Chelsea are sniffing round too.

I think we could have 6 centre backs and they'd all get an abundance of games each season. There is no realistic thing as a first choice centre back pairing at United. We have had seemingly endless rotation in that area due to injury as far back as I can remember and it will continue due to the amount of games we play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Lord TSC wrote: »
    DiMarizio saying we offers €35m for Perisic but Inter want €55-60m.

Also said Chelsea are sniffing round too.

In that case... nah. Too much for a player who will turn 29 half way through the season, you'd want a real proven top end talent for that. And while Perisic might be a quality player, he just isn't proven enough at the very top for that price tag with likely only around three years of his best left.

Meanwhile, City have reportedly put in a bid of €120m for Mbappe.

Seriously, why don't they buy the club? Wonder, if that happens, will he get the same level of critique Pogba got...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

I also think Keane would ultimately be getting signed as a squad player long term - with the idea that we might look to spend big money on a cb next summer, with mourinho feeling he can build a good enough defence from bailly, Rojo, Keane, tuanzebe, fosu-mensah and maybe one (or neither) from smalling and Jones.

I think he knows he needs to reinforce defence but it is a lesser priority than other positions this season.

I am thinking this also. It may be a sign also that DeGea is staying so we don't need to spend big on a centre half when other parts of the team are more in need of signings

Meanwhile, City have reportedly put in a bid of €120m for Mbappe.

Seriously, why don't they buy the club? Wonder, if that happens, will he get the same level of critique Pogba got...

I hope thats real and they get him. I think it blows a huge amount of money on one player and possibly upsets Aguero and Jesus in one overpriced swoop.
    He'll go to Madrid or stay at Monaco I think though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Rojo done brilliantly when partnered with Baily.

Smalling looked like Maldini last year playing in negative tactics.

Keane has 1 decent season at cb with negative tactics and 25 million is a big chunk of a budget for someone who is not an upgrade on Rojo or Smalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Rojo done brilliantly when partnered with Baily.

Smalling looked like Maldini last year playing in negative tactics.

Keane has 1 decent season at cb with negative tactics and 25 million is a big chunk of a budget for someone who is not an upgrade on Rojo or Smalling.

Be mad to spend that kind of money on him for that exact reason. If he wasn't English we'd have barely heard a word about him this year.

Be mad to spend that kind of money on him for that exact reason. If he wasn't English we'd have barely heard a word about him this year.

Reality is 20m for a youn, club grown, English centre back is actually bad in context of modern transfer fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Reality is 20m for a youn, club grown, English centre back is actually bad in context of modern transfer fees.

The real problem is that he isn't an upgrade on our current english centre backs so whats the point in spending any money on him at all?

If he is able to stay fit for majority of the season it's an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Didn't Mourinho have some harsh words to say about both Smalling and Jones at the end of the season?

Jones seems injury prone. Possible that he'll look to offload one or both? Keane could be a replacement.

I do agree though it seems like a strange signing at that amount, it's the one area I would say United are very strong in terms of depth and only a proven world class CB would seem to make sense here.

If he is to ditch Smalling it's a ballsy move as he was great last season and you would think is just coming into his prime. Mourinho seems to make quite strong judgements about players though and has no real qualms acting on them, and it's possible he's made such a judgement on Smalling, Jones or both

• Advertisement

The real problem is that he isn't an upgrade on our current english centre backs so whats the point in spending any money on him at all?

He might not be injured every other game. Might not be prone to stupid mistakes every other game.

I think Jose just doesn't trust either Jones or smalling and is looking for backup to bailly/Rojo. Wouldn't be surprised if both Jones and smalling were sold, would be surprised if at least one wasn't gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't disagree that their injury records are incredibly frustrating and that Jose may simply not trust them, but they are the 3rd/4th choice defenders and they are better players than Keane, spending £20m+ to bring him in seems like a low priority to me.

He might not be injured every other game. Might not be prone to stupid mistakes every other game.

I think Jose just doesn't trust either Jones or smalling and is looking for backup to bailly/Rojo. Wouldn't be surprised if both Jones and smalling were sold, would be surprised if at least one wasn't gone.

Yeah, was going to answer with "trust" as well. Smalling got relegated down the pecking order to, basically, forth choice this season. If Smalling and Keane are the same level, but Jose feels he can "turn a profit", for lack of a better phrase, on selling Smalling (and getting his wages gone too) and buying Keane, he might.

There's also the issue that Smalling might not be happy as 4th choice, while Keane is. Smalling might push for a move if he's not promised a first team spot.

I think a massive theme this summer will be "Trust", and Jose buying players he knows are 100% dedicated to the cause. Thinking of the Fellaini interview the other day where he said he'd break his leg for Jose. Jose wants devotion, and if he feels Keane offers it and Smalling or Jones doesn't, I think he'll look to replace them.

I don't think Smalling or Jones will be sold as I don't see either pushing for a move. Its a step down for them anywhere else in England and I don't see them going abroad. Jose will have to force one of them out id think if he wants to replace one.

I think one of them will go with Smalling the most likely imo.
    If they are going to be at best 4th choice a move is probably best for all concerned.
    United get a player off the books with Keane as a replacement and the player leaves for regular first team football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

A 27 year old 4th choice or a 24 year old 3rd/4th choice.

Seems a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Jose looks completely different.

https://youtu.be/3E5Nst6pYUo

JamboMac wrote: »
    Jose looks completely different.

https://youtu.be/3E5Nst6pYUo

He's....he's smiling?!!? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mad thing about that was he didn't even stay for the race, he was back in London today :D Michael Ballack put up a pic of the 2 of them this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

The questions made me laugh, "Antoine de griezmann"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Dyche made some good comments about Keane,saying he had to learn to defend first and then work on being a player afterwards as he'd end up doing a lot of it at Burnley. It seemed to be a dig at the likes of Stones who thinks he's Beckenbauer and makes so many mistakes while forgetting his job is to defend.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnd we are back

We won things yippe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

GSPfan wrote: »
    I don't think Smalling or Jones will be sold as I don't see either pushing for a move. Its a step down for them anywhere else in England and I don't see them going abroad. Jose will have to force one of them out id think if he wants to replace one.

Smalling will be thinking of his England career as well I am sure if it looks like he won't get game time. I think Arsenal were interested before, though Holding seems to be working out for them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If we are to sell Mike we better get at least £25m for him.

We have been rogered in the transfer market every single time with the exception of Ronaldo though even at £80m he was an absolute steal.

We don't need to sell so there is no point unless silly money is offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

In defence or Martial and anyone who has played on the wing this season they have had feck all support from Darmian and Blind.

I don't see José being in a rush to sell Smalling or Jones, Smalling started the cup final 4 days ago ffs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement