Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ducker, via the Telegraph

Ander Herrera to rebuff Barcelona advances and commit his future to Manchester United

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/29/ander-herrera-rebuff-barcelona-advances-commit-future-manchester/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    By all accounts, there was money for Moyes but he seemed to focus on a narrow list of targets to a fault. Jose, imo, would not have; he would have moved quickly on when he realized targets were unobtainable (there's also the argument to be made that some of those unobtainable targets might not have been so unobtainable if we had Jose at the helm over Moyes).

The obsession Moyes had with the likes of Fabregas, even when Fabregas was telling him to go away, was what cost us badly that summer.

i wouldnt put all the blame on Moyes door, Toni Kroos was almost a done deal, woodward messed around on some of the deals, he was only getting use to his new job. Thiago as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

bangkok wrote: »
    i wouldnt put all the blame on Moyes door, Toni Kroos was almost a done deal, woodward messed around on some of the deals, he was only getting use to his new job. Thiago as well

Moyes was sacked before Kroos left Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Moyes had the nickname "Dithering Dave" even before he went to United, spent far too long scouting and watching players before making a move,missed out on so many transfer targets because of it.
    Yes Woodward was new to the role but I think he was hamstrung by Moyes and his hesitancy in the market.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Moyes was sacked before Kroos left Bayern.

yes but they also had him nearly signed in moyes first season. Moyes went to germany personally to meet him and the agent had plenty of meetings with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im actually looking forward to transfer window this year cause I have faith for first time in years that we will at least make few shrewd buys.

zerks wrote: »
    Moyes had the nickname "Dithering Dave" even before he went to United, spent far too long scouting and watching players before making a move,missed out on so many transfer targets because of it.
    Yes Woodward was new to the role but I think he was hamstrung by Moyes and his hesitancy in the market.

Managers identify players they want, it is then up to the club to sign the player, has almost nothing to do with the manager after that

yabadabado wrote: »
    I would be surprised if all the top 6 didn't spend 100m this summer.

Liverpool stated early in play that they had £100 million to spend which in today's crazy market isn't a huge amount,City have almost spent that in a weekend.
    We'll spend a fair chunk ourselves but I can see Jose getting decent fees for players we'll sell unlike our give away prices of previous managers.

i dont think spurs will spend 100m this year. apart from them id say the rest all will. actually hard to see arsenal spend that much either even though they have around 250m in the bank

Managers identify players they want, it is then up to the club to sign the player, has almost nothing to do with the manager after that

Moyes spent too much time fecking around which left little time to get deals done.Take your fave player as an example of this.Scrambling around like a desperate man at five to six on a Christmas eve trying to get presents.LVG came in and got business done,Jose the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

The Fellaini buy along with the failed bid for Coentrao on deadline day sum dithering dave to a tee! its common knowledge that we could have paid half the price for pubehead.

As for Kroos I believe it was LVG that vetoed that deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dont forget Moyes screwed up delaying Herrera joining us until LVG arrived a year later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

i dont think spurs will spend 100m this year. apart from them id say the rest all will. actually hard to see arsenal spend that much either even though they have around 250m in the bank

Hard to see where Spurs need to spend that type of money. young team, continuing to develop etc.

Of the top teams they are likely to spend the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If either team have ambitious to improve then I can't see how they spend much less.
    3 players in will be around 100m and I think both teams need a few players.
    I think with Spurs a lot will depend on who leaves(maybe none) and Arsenal will need to invest heavily after missing CL and need to back Wenger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

yes but they also had him nearly signed in moyes first season. Moyes went to germany personally to meet him and the agent had plenty of meetings with him

During the season for the following summer 2014 (which he was sacked before).

The Thiago and Cesc chases made United Woody and Moyes look bad for sure

I'll say his about Moyes and Woody.

Woody underperformed, but was inexperienced. Moyes was the one with experience; he should have been able to tell Woody to move on to new targets when it became clear they weren't viable. Instead, Moyes was still giving interviews, fawning over players who were publically rejecting him. His experience was needed to help that summer, and instead he acted like someone who had never had a transfer window before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

TheDoc wrote: »
    That is what I meant, is that not what I posted? (Apologies if so)

But my point being, as per my understanding, we used to identify the same targets as everyone else and blow them out of the water with fees or wages etc.

You did to be fair. Seems a few posters getting crossed wires. I digress. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Cotts72 wrote:
    its common knowledge that we could have paid half the price for pubehead.
    You mean the man who was one of our best players in the European cup campaign we just won, and who has shown nothing but 100% dedication every time he has donned the club colours?

He may not be the most aesthetically pleasing player in the club but he has done little to deserve those type of comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yabadabado wrote: »
    I would be surprised if all the top 6 didn't spend 100m this summer.

And Spurs to waste theirs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Cotts72 wrote:
    its common knowledge that we could have paid half the price for pubehead.
    You mean the man who was one of our best players in the European cup campaign we just won, and who has shown nothing but 100% dedication every time he has donned the club colours?

He may not be the most aesthetically pleasing player in the club but he has done little to deserve those type of comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

And Spurs to waste theirs :P

Think spurs biggest target in this window is to keep the players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think a large part of United's transfer issues is that they don't play in the shadows like the bigger clubs do.

You know full well that Real Madrid and Barcelona were already talking to their transfer targets well before they are given permission. Then they pave the way for signings by using their media mouthpiece's.

The El Clasico pair won't put in a bid until they know the player wants to join them. It's bad for prestige if they are publicly turned down.

Moyes spent too much time fecking around which left little time to get deals done.Take your fave player as an example of this.Scrambling around like a desperate man at five to six on a Christmas eve trying to get presents.LVG came in and got business done,Jose the same.

but the actual transfer business has nothing to do with the manager apart from them identifying the player wanted.

Jose is now on holidays, the transfers are entirely in ed woodward and the clubs hand. They will probably call him just to let him know how the deals are going and thats it

but the actual transfer business has nothing to do with the manager apart from them identifying the player wanted.

Jose is now on holidays, the transfers are entirely in ed woodward and the clubs hand. They will probably call him just to let him know how the deals are going and thats it

Well I'd say the player would want to meet the manager to be assured of his role in the team and convince him to join if other clubs are interested. Ed just looks after the money and legal stuff (with a little help of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jayo26 wrote: »
    Who said 30-40 million?

Sorry, didn't word it clearly - was referring to general comments I've heard, what some mates seem to think would be a fair offer etc. On this thread it's been more around £50-60mn at times, which is about half of what I would consider reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

RockSalto wrote: »
    Well I'd say the player would want to meet the manager to be assured of his role in the team and convince him to join if other clubs are interested. Ed just looks after the money and legal stuff (with a little help of course).

Knowing how quick Jose has signed people before. I believe many of his potential signings have already spoken to him months ago

Knowing how quick Jose has signed people before. I believe many of his potential signings have already spoken to him months ago

Hopefully.

Yeah I don't get the impression from him we will be wasting time on punts.

It will be a decisive priority list, where likely the players have been spoken to already and its about agreeing fees with the clubs, and appearing the better option against competitors.

Sure tapping up is just the done thing for years on end at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

It's more about having more than one choice of player for each position you want to upgrade. I'm sure Woody could get on the blower and say to Jose that it's not happening with Player A, and Jose will say move on to player B. I think it was more that Moyes didn't really have back ups to his first choice players, so we were left to panic buy at the end of the window

• Advertisement

Ducker, via the Telegraph

Ander Herrera to rebuff Barcelona advances and commit his future to Manchester United

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/29/ander-herrera-rebuff-barcelona-advances-commit-future-manchester/

The times are reporting the exact same thing from Paul Hirst, looks like a briefing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Sorry to be off topic.

Do any of you have an Irish Times Subscription of get an Archive article for me?

From Mundodeportivo:

"An English club prays Bale is a substitute in Cardiff for the final"...... I wonder is that us? Can't see too many others affording him.

Lukaku
    Griezmann
    Bale
    Pogba---Herrera
    Dier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

"An English club prays Bale is a substitute in Cardiff for the final"...... I wonder is that us? Can't see too many others affording him.

Chelsea/City could both afford him?

Lukaku
    Griezmann
    Bale
    Pogba---Herrera
    Dier

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Watched the Roma game last night for the Totti send off. Strootman looking in pretty good shape.....

Wonder has the time for him at United come and gone?

From Mundodeportivo:

he probably will be a sub considering the form of Isco but will still have his part to play. To be honest i dont think it matters anyway, Bale will be at Madrid next season.

City, Chelsea ourselves could easily afford him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lukaku
    Griezmann
    Bale
    Pogba---Herrera
    Dier

Id rather Rashford than Lukaku to be honest. Wouldnt be sold on an injury prone Bale and Im not convinced Dier is all that yet.

Lukaku perhaps with Rashford replacing Bale might be great though

Griezmann though, Id be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

he probably will be a sub considering the form of Isco but will still have his part to play. To be honest i dont think it matters anyway, Bale will be at Madrid next season.

City, Chelsea ourselves could easily afford him

ZZ isnt afriad to be bold with his selections. Everytime I expect someone to start (James, isco, Bale Modric) He can change it up.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Id rather Rashford than Lukaku to be honest.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you're crazy...

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    ZZ isnt afriad to be bold with his selections. Everytime I expect someone to start (James, isco, Bale Modric) He can change it up.

champions league final he will be playing his best 11. if bale is fit he will more than likely start, if not 100% fit, he will be on the bench and isco starts

Lukaku
    Griezmann
    Bale
    Pogba---Herrera
    Dier

put Mkhitrayan instead of bale as bale is never going to happen. cant see dier joing either and to be honest i would be aiming higher than him

put Mkhitrayan instead of bale as bale is never going to happen. cant see dier joing either and to be honest i would be aiming higher than him

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

lets be honest here, we have mata, mkhitarayan, lingard, rashford, martial who can all play there and we are being linked with Peresic.

Bale is not happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

How much do you think Levy would be looking for for Spurs?

Billy86 wrote: »
    How much do you think Levy would be looking for for Spurs?

how-about-1.jpg

lets be honest here, we have mata, mkhitarayan, lingard, rashford, martial who can all play there and we are being linked with Peresic.

Bale is not happening

But I don't want to be honest?!?!?!?!

But I don't want to be honest?!?!?!?!

ok, lets go with

Neymar
    Ronaldo
    Messi

Pogba
    Kroos
    Herrera

Alaba
    Bailly
    van Djik
    Valencia

de gea

:)

ok, lets go with

Neymar
    Ronaldo
    Messi

Pogba
    Kroos
    Herrera

Alaba
    Bailly
    van Djik
    Valencia

de gea

:)

Ha unlimited cash and you pick Van Djik :D

astradave wrote: »
    Ha unlimited cash and you pick Van Djik :D

one of the best defenders in the league, knows the league and no getting use to a new league

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement