Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Dier really would be such an underwhelming signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    one of the best defenders in the league, knows the league and no getting use to a new league

So you would have him over Bonucci or Sergio Ramos to name 2.

I'm calling bull**** before you even answer :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Griezmann
    Perisic
    Keane
    Fabinho

That is what I expect based on links past couple of months.

Lukaku seems like too big a transfer/fee not to be out there in a big way (like Griezmann) with people talking about it.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Griezmann
    Perisic
    Keane
    Fabinho

Lukaku seems like too big a transfer/fee not to be out there in a big way (like Griezmann) with people talking about it.

Just on Fabinho.. Tuttosport are reporting that Juve want him.

https://twitter.com/vvgenechten/status/869132397496983554

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    So you would have him over Bonucci or Sergio Ramos to name 2.

I'm calling bull**** before you even answer :D

sergio ramos while being a class defender is a clown, 20 something red cards in his career. madness.

yea i would rather bonucci over van djik but he rejected the move :)

DM_7 wrote: »
    Griezmann
    Perisic
    Keane
    Fabinho

you forgot about nainggolan

you forgot about nainggolan

Now there is a player who I would love on our team but I think we need a DM and not another Box to box, the only way I could see that is if we're were moving Herrera to be a DM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Perisic would be an absolute monster under Mourinho. Savage player.

ok, lets go with

Neymar
    Ronaldo
    Messi

Pogba
    Kroos
    Herrera

Alaba
    Bailly
    van Djik
    Valencia

de gea

:)

Honorable tribute to ShadowComplex :pac:

A Griezmann, a CB, a DM, if we got those 3, at the least, I'll be happy.

Last Summer, Jose got the club's transfer business sorted quickly, apart from Pogba. That signing was going to be a bit of a saga for any club who signed him and not just us. Overall, it went relatively smoothly for a new manager coming in.

As far as Jose is concerned now for the forthcoming window, Ed has been given his transfer targets since March. This gives me great faith, especially going on how relatively well last Summer's business went.

Moyes and Woodward in that first Summer back in 2013 were as bad as each other. I really believe Woodward has come on leaps and bounds since then as CEO. I'm sure that being involved in high money/profile deals for the likes of DiMaria, Martial and Pogba have stood to him.

In that first Summer, Woodward was new to the football end of things and tried to apply strict business terms to everything. It didn't work, with the low-balling of offers for Fabregas and the outright insult to Everton for combined bids for Baines and Fellaini.

Since then, he has done many deals for incoming players (not all successful players for United, but players the then manager chose non-the-less) and has made numerous important contacts and relationships in his short number of years at the club. He has made some of the most important agents in world football millions upon millions of pounds/euros and has proven his word behind all that bluster of his first Summer.

Jose being sure of and identifying his targets early, plus Woodward having a proven track record at getting deals done and making money for important people, plus the return of United to the Champion's League, all mean that I've little concern about how United's Summer business is going to go.

• Advertisement

realistic starting 11 next season.....

----Perisic
    Rashford
    Griezmann

----Pogba
    Nainngolan
    Herrara----

Shaw
    Bailly
    Keane
    Valencia

de gea

thats starting 11 in big away games....

at home to Newcastle and the likes

Martial
    Griezmann

---Pogba
    Mata
    Mkhitarayan

Herrera

Shaw
    Blind
    Bailly
    Valencia---

de gea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

realistic starting 11 next season.....

----Perisic
    Rashford
    Griezmann

----Pogba
    Nainngolan
    Herrara----

Shaw
    Bailly
    Keane
    Valencia

de gea

thats starting 11 in big away games....

at home to Newcastle and the likes

I think it is unrealistic to think Mourinho won't sign a defensive midfielder. All three in your first choice want to go forward more than defend.

I think it is nailed on we sign someone for such a role, to free up Pogba and Herrera a bit (imo).

Its the only reason I can see for looking at a player like Dier, whom I don't particularly rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

In those teams, you guys have Griezeman wide....will he do the tracking back required by Jose that Martial won't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

ericzeking wrote: »
    In those teams, you guys have Griezeman wide....will he do the tracking back required by Jose that Martial won't?

Yes, is the simple answer.

I think it is unrealistic to think Mourinho won't sign a defensive midfielder. All three in your first choice want to go forward more than defend.

I think it is nailed on we sign someone for such a role, to free up Pogba and Herrera a bit (imo).

Its the only reason I can see for looking at a player like Dier, whom I don't particularly rate.

only for the big away games, ie city, liverpool chelsea and spurs. We need more goals in the team and we need to be more attacking in other games. Our goals scored this season was pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

ericzeking wrote: »

Without a doubt,Simeone is probably a tougher task master than Jose.

only for the big away games, ie city, liverpool chelsea and spurs. We need more goals in the team and we need to be more attacking in other games. Our goals scored this season was pathetic

So in your big games, you will play three CMs who want to attack, and in the smaller games you will play an even more attacking side.

Good one.

So in your big games, you will play three CMs who want to attack, and in the smaller games you will play an even more attacking side.

Good one.

they are professional footballers who will play the role required. If Herrera or pogba have to play defensive in a big game its no big deal. thats what they are paid for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

TheDoc wrote: »
    Watched the Roma game last night for the Totti send off. Strootman looking in pretty good shape.....

Wonder has the time for him at United come and gone?

He signed a new contract today until 2022

they are professional footballers who will play the role required. If Herrera or pogba have to play defensive in a big game its no big deal. thats what they are paid for

Or you sign a bloody defensive midfielder who is talented at such roles and use him to help create a platform for the attacking players to attack.

A lack of defensive ability in midfielder means we play more defensive in other areas to help protect the defense and then lack options going forward which stunts the attack.

A properly trust-worthy defensive with a solid player in front (and probably Herrera in a box to box/harrassing role) gives a better balance; giving Pogba, Griezmann, two other attacking players (Martial and Rasford for example) more freedom to attack and stay a little further forward - add in allowing the fullbacks to attack more and the entire attack is upgraded.

Your idea relies on people doing a role they are not best suited to, to a level that allows them to combat and beat the best teams around. Its insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Maybe a bit too young, but wonder would Jose be interested in a player like Kessie at Atlanta. Maybe bit too young though for promenint first team, but type of player Jose likes..

I guess we could throw out names all day. Just looking forward to next season already. It's bloody great be back in CL. I'm still buzzing after last Wednesday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/manchester-united-transfer-news-ivan-perisic-personal-terms-50m-35m-willian-chelsea-anthony-martial-a7761851.html

More Martial sale talk. Its not just me who thinks it's possible. Not liking this Inter Milan valuation of Perisic. Feels like every club is trying to take us to the cleaners now. We might want to do business early but it'll be hard to complete a deal with the selling clubs holding out for more and more. Even Burnley are at it.

Maybe a bit too young, but wonder would Jose be interested in a player like Kessie at Atlanta. Maybe bit too young though for promenint first team, but type of player Jose likes..

I guess we could throw out names all day. Just looking forward to next season already. It's bloody great be back in CL. I'm still buzzing after last Wednesday.

Linked with him a lot in the lead up to January - think he himself mentioned us and Chelsea as possible destinations.

GSPfan wrote: »
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/manchester-united-transfer-news-ivan-perisic-personal-terms-50m-35m-willian-chelsea-anthony-martial-a7761851.html

More Martial sale talk. Its not just me who thinks it's possible. Not liking this Inter Milan valuation of Perisic. Feels like every club is trying to take us to the cleaners now. We might want to do business early but it'll be hard to complete a deal with the selling clubs holding out for more and more. Even Burnley are at it.

Jose will listen to offers for Martial, but he is not for sale.

Bases covered :D

Or you sign a bloody defensive midfielder who is talented at such roles and use him to help create a platform for the attacking players to attack.

A lack of defensive ability in midfielder means we play more defensive in other areas to help protect the defense and then lack options going forward which stunts the attack.

A properly trust-worthy defensive with a solid player in front (and probably Herrera in a box to box/harrassing role) gives a better balance; giving Pogba, Griezmann, two other attacking players (Martial and Rasford for example) more freedom to attack and stay a little further forward - add in allowing the fullbacks to attack more and the entire attack is upgraded.

Your idea relies on people doing a role they are not best suited to, to a level that allows them to combat and beat the best teams around. Its insane.

Nainggolan would be signed for that role and i have him in the team to allow other players to flourish.

Jose will listen to offers for Martial, but he is not for sale.

Bases covered :D

Classic Jose. He knows exactly how to sell a player to get maximum value.
    No fuss, pretend he would keep every player while clearly not fancying them, make it look like it was the players decision to leave, get a good fee, buy someone he likes.

Pure nonsense.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Pure nonsense.

great post there

great post there

Its definitely a huge step up from the one I quoted.

Its definitely a huge step up from the one I quoted.

Herrera would surely be classed as a defensive midfielder now anyway so i dont see what the issue is, Pogba has played DM plenty of times and so has Nainngolan.

Serious obsession with some fans about players positions that they can only play one position and thats it

• Advertisement

Herrera would surely be classed as a defensive midfielder now anyway so i dont see what the issue is, Pogba has played DM plenty of times and so has Nainngolan.

Serious obsession with some fans about players positions that they can only play one position and thats it

It already been explained to you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Huddersfield will be visiting OT next season

1-1 draw :D

It already been explained to you

so why is jose trying to sign Nainngolan then?? Is he wrong as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Pure nonsense.

Not like Herrera kept Hazard in his pocket or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Did your mate in Rome tell you this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So we 100% aren't signing Bale, but Jose 100% is trying to sign Naingollan? What are your sources on the latter, btw?

Do you believe everything you read in the internet? That link could be bull****, I've already made it known that I would love Him in our team, but for me he takes the place of Ander, now Ander could be converted into a DM but that would be hindering both Ander( as you take away one of his best attributes) and the team as like Mitch says the rest of the team would have to adjust to make up for his deficiencies.

It's why we have been linked with the likes of Fabinho more..

One thing is for certain, over the coming weeks we will know exactly the direction that Jose wants to take the team.

Another thing is that Jose likes to have 2 top players for each position. If we are going to be going with a midfield 3, we could buy both Naingolan and a DM.

So we would have

Fellaini/Pogba
    Herrera/new RCM
    Carrick/ new DM

With TFM and Tuanzebe in case of injures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

pjohnson wrote: »

A man marking job is different than a DM.

He wasn't playing as a DM.. he was man marking him.. it's a totally different job

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    So we 100% aren't signing Bale, but Jose 100% is trying to sign Naingollan? What are your sources on the latter, btw?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10882714/manchester-united-want-to-sign-radja-nainggolan-this-summer

That's 100% clarification that Jose wants Nainggolan? Sky's sources are feckin twitter these days, ever since Sky Bet they are no longer reliable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Right now, if Herrera plays as a holding player then United need Fellaini to play as well to break up play and provide some strength. Herrera can cover ground and spaces but is small for the hardier stuff.

That's 100% clarification that Jose wants Nainggolan? Sky's sources are feckin twitter these days, ever since Sky Bet they are no longer reliable.

di marzio also said jose wants him and he is fairly reliable

di marzio also said jose wants him and he is fairly reliable

They are saying he wants to stay at Roma and extend his contract. They say we are one of the options if that doesn't happen along with Chelsea and Milan. That doesn't mean we are going to bid for him, we are literally linked with hundreds of players.

I could say with 100% certainty that Jose also wants Messi & Ronaldo, that doesn't mean that we will bid for them or buy them.

Anyways I have given my thoughts on Nainggolan so I will move on

Edit: link [url]‪ http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/milan-considering-joining-the-race-for-nainggolan-the-situation‬[/url]

Not relevant at all.

• Advertisement

Nainggolan would be signed for that role and i have him in the team to allow other players to flourish.

That's a poor use of the player he is. He's far more similar in rile to Pogba or Herrera.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Nainggolan is staying in Rome, he loves the city from what I heard reporters say and who can blame him, he will not be joining us.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Nainggolan is staying in Rome, he loves the city from what I heard reporters say and who can blame him, he will not be joining us.

An excellent player but a proper DM is needed first then think about adding anyone else to CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United's best performances in the post Fergie era have come with Carrick as the lynchpin allowing Fellaini and Herrera to do their things and support the wide players. The need for someone to allow Pogba and one of the other 2 this freedom to attack has been obvious in the big games this season and Jose has adapted his tactics quite badly in the big games on the back of this bar the Chelsea game. It's the most important position to sort out.

An excellent player but a proper DM is needed first then think about adding anyone else to CM.

A proper dm like who?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement