Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That's a poor use of the player he is. He's far more similar in rile to Pogba or Herrera.

United need that, especially a player who can fill in for Pogba.

But an actual DM would be a first priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

TheDoc wrote: »
    It's not an excuse for him, but can't ever fathom how people look at that squad start of season and think it was good or should have competed for a title or something.

I disagree with most that.

The squad needed a left back and 2 central midfielders which for various reasons Moyes and Woodward tried but ultimately failed to land.

You're hugely downplaying how horrific Moyes management was, the quality players available and ignoring the fact he ran our senior players into the ground.

The squad was more than good enough to qualify for the CL with competent management and organic squad building. We signed 1 senior player ffs.

If imagine you believe the Everton , Spurs & Liverpool had better squads and 7th was the best we could hope for and Moyes should have been given more time ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

bangkok wrote: »
    di marzio also said jose wants him and he is fairly reliable

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Lord TSC wrote: »
    So we 100% aren't signing Bale, but Jose 100% is trying to sign Naingollan? What are your sources on the latter, btw?

1px6g2.jpg

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

With Huddersfield getting promoted, if they happen to win the league next year they'd go level with the huge man city. Already ahead of spurs with 3 league titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Sanchez could be the Kante signing of next season and propel the team to a league title win, I'd take him over Griezmann costing a chunk less

would hate to see him go to City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Link?

I probably found Bangkok on twitter as well :D he asked the question.. eerie...

https://twitter.com/davidamoyal/status/869217731006144512

Should have a look at the replies to that.. saying that Jose really wants Morata

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

astradave wrote: »

Lacazette: 'so you will be the new number 7 at United?'
    Griezmann: 'and you taking my number 7 shirt at Atletico?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

They are great friends, with plenty of speculation that far being from his replacement, they buying Lacazette to keep him happy and stay.

He and his brother do enjoy a troll though in fairness so never take much notice of either's social media

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

They are great friends, with plenty of speculation that far being from his replacement, they buying Lacazette to keep him happy and stay.

He and his brother do enjoy a troll though in fairness so never take much notice of either's social media

Yeah has Lacazette been confirmed yet? I know they have a registration ban but they could still sign him ala Arda Turan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

bangkok wrote: »
    A proper dm like who?

I would buy Diawara.He looks the real deal and would have a season to bed in with Carrick around to ease the transition .

Wiegl would be another player who would suit United perfectly imo but he only signed a contract extension a few months ago.

Those two are just 2 of many players who's best positions is in DM ,Im sure plenty of posters here would have their own preferences.

My point is Id rather buy a lad for DM when thats his best postion.Get top quality players in and then play them in the area where they can perform to tthe best of their ability.

Nainggolan is a brilliant player but you are sacrificing a lot of his best attributes if he is played at DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Yeah has Lacazette been confirmed yet? I know they have a registration ban but they could still sign him ala Arda Turan

Speaking of Turan, where will he go next year? Career hot a wall with barca but he was/is a brilliant player.

Speaking of Turan, where will he go next year? Career hot a wall with barca but he was/is a brilliant player.

I think he was linked to Arsenal. Was an awful move to Barca .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Wouldn't mind Turan in the squad at all. He's a fighter.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is Carrick contracted for another year or is retirement a possibility for him this summer? He's probably got another year left in him I'd say at this level anyhow, but I haven't heard what he's doing.

5starpool wrote: »
    Is Carrick contracted for another year or is retirement a possibility for him this summer? He's probably got another year left in him I'd say at this level anyhow, but I haven't heard what he's doing.

Signed a new contract a few days back. The rumours a while back was that it was a contract that would also facilitate some youth coaching as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Carrick is staying for another year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

That's 100% clarification that Jose wants Nainggolan? Sky's sources are feckin twitter these days, ever since Sky Bet they are no longer reliable.

Is this in jest? Sky own like 20% of the bookie and transfer betting is novelty stuff accounting for less than 0.1% of Skybet turnover & profit. Sky make more money from a single ad break than an entire summer of transfer betting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Sky Sports round up of tomorrow's papers have us leading the race for Danny Rose. From The Mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

GSPfan wrote: »
    Sky Sports round up of tomorrow's papers have us leading the race for Danny Rose. From The Mirror.

The Independent say we'll sell Martial at the right price.

Chelsea also want Perisic,Inter are holding out for £50 million, we offered £35 mill.

For £50 million, they can keep him.

I hope that is BS.
    Already have a better LB at the club,just need to get him fit and clued in for next season.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I hope that is BS.
    Already have a better LB at the club,just need to get him fit and clued in for next season.

Says us for the third summer running.

At some stage, especially given the expectations on Joses shoulders now, we have to stop waiting for players to "come good", especially ones with records of, being honest, not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

I get the impression Jose likes Martial but is just is frustrated at what he expects from his wide men.

I love when Martial when he is in full flight but there were too many occasions last season I yelled at him losing the ball far too easily. Although I will say Mkhitaryan was equally as bad and even the Europa final his goal masked a poor performance for me. Jesse doesn't do it as often (still does it though) but his goal scoring instincts are poor in comparison.

I am surprised tbh at the lack of movement so far, I expected Jose to put the foot down and his interviews since the final say a lot with his "it's in Ed's hands now mantra". I wonder if the big deals are done already, perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

From Spurs i'd like us to sign Kane, Ali and Alderweild - wouldn't be arsed about any of the rest of them to be honest.

I am surprised tbh at the lack of movement so far, I expected Jose to put the foot down and his interviews since the final say a lot with his "it's in Ed's hands now mantra". I wonder if the big deals are done already, perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Even I think it is way to early for that kind of talk - we're not even a week past our last game. the season hasn't actually ended yet.

Yep, City have moved extremely quickly this summer, but I can't use that as a bench-mark for United and criticism.

I would say United's plans have also been complicated by CL qualification being very much in question until the last possible moment, have to think our transfer plans hinged on that.

I would expect that United do have some deals in the offing though - such as having the outline of a contract agreed with Griezmann, for example, or having spoken to Peresic/Inter. I expect there are a lot of players and clubs that have beem contacted and it is now down to deciding the priority we want the players in (I would guess multiple targets for the same role) and trying to get a deal over the line.

In the papers at the moment we are apparently talking to Greizmann, Peresic, Fabinho and Mendy, off the top of my head.

https://twitter.com/PortuBall/status/869463221614374912

Lindelof to United talk has intensified.

• Advertisement

Says us for the third summer running.

At some stage, especially given the expectations on Joses shoulders now, we have to stop waiting for players to "come good", especially ones with records of, being honest, not.
    Do you not rate Shaw ?
    I'd prefer to give him one last chance especially if Jose fixes all the other problems in the squad this summer.

If we have to deal with Spurs/Levy then I'd rather it was paying over the odds for one of their main men that getting rode for their LB .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Do you not rate Shaw ?
    I'd prefer to give him one last chance especially if Jose fixes all the other problems in the squad this summer.

If we have to deal with Spurs/Levy then I'd rather it was paying over the odds for one of their main men that getting rode for their LB .

It's getting a bit tiring with Shaw to be honest, it is hard to say from this remove but it looks a lot like that injury has affected him. You'd easily forgive him the 1st few months of this year but he simply looks out of shape and that corresponds with what Jose has been saying.

I'd say Smalling, Jones & Shaw have really gotten Jose's back up this year and it'd be no surprise if he wants to move on from them.

I see in that MEN story that Matic is favourite for the DM role, I would really like that move.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Id agree with already having a better LB at the club already in Shaw but no harm in having a bit of competition and having another out and out LB option,plenty of games to go round next season,squad needs to be bigger

I think Shaw needs to do what he did two summers ago,remember the stories about him hiring a personal trainer and he started pre season early and was in flying form before suffering that horrible injury.

Pictures of Rooney on hols doing the rounds.He must have hit the all you can eat hard as he looks chunkier than usual.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/869457654120370176

"City fail to agree wages with Mendy, United ready to step in."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

zerks wrote: »
    Pictures of Rooney on hols doing the rounds.He must have hit the all you can eat hard as he looks chunkier than usual.

Thanks for not posting those pictures, just had my breakfast. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

From Spurs i'd like us to sign Kane, Ali and Alderweild - wouldn't be arsed about any of the rest of them to be honest.

Wouldn't be arsed?

Christian Eriksen is a tremendous player and an unsung hero from them considering all the focus goes on the English pair.

I'd snap Eriksen up in a heartbeat.

Wouldn't be arsed?

Christian Eriksen is a tremendous player and an unsung hero from them considering all the focus goes on the English pair.

I'd snap Eriksen up in a heartbeat.

Good for you.

I'd not be arsed with him. Good player but not one i'd be breaking my heart to try sign. Happy enough with Mata as a similar type of play maker, imo.

Aside from Rashford I wouldn't give a toss who we sell or replace. No room for sentiment in pursuit of a league title next season. Jose will get all the criticism if we fail next season so I hope he makes whatever changes he needs to make.

• Silly season!!

• Advertisement

Do you not rate Shaw ?

It's not really a case of rating him or not. It's that we have a few too many players who people want for potential but who haven't actually done much at the club to deserve the faith they need.

Shaw has, in three years, played 47 times for us. Even taking on board the injury that took him out for a season, he still has struggled in his other two. He has had two managers who called him out on his match fitness. He seems to have some attitude problems. And Jose doesn't seem to trust him that much.

He has all the potential in the world, but after three years, we need to stop relying on hoping players fulfill their potential and start moving back to actually being a top team. It's no coincidence that our obsession with youth and potential has lined up with our struggles to maintain a top four spot. Youth and potential is what you do when there's already a solid foundation laid, but we've done it Arse-backwards.

It's not about not rating Shaw for me. It's not trusting him. We need a full back capable of performing now, not one who might if given time.

I would always prefer to see an existing player get a chance. Its basic fan feeling but not based on hard evidence like a manager can see every day or expertise that managers actually have.

Look at how few players go on to better things. Obviously Pogba proved United wrong. But lots of players continued to meander along or worse after United. Nani, Anderson, Welbeck, Cleverley. Others found a suitable level like Evans or Hernandez.

Shaw and Martial great examples of the suspect transfer policy United had post SAF. Its great to be able to buy potential but to reach potential they need to join a stable team and even then its no sure thing. If they are lost to United this summer its more to do with that happened pre Jose.

Its very difficult to question Jose's approach to players coming in so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

DM_7 wrote: »
    I would always prefer to see an existing player get a chance. Its basic fan feeling but not based on hard evidence like a manager can see every day or expertise that managers actually have.

Look at how few players go on to better things. Obviously Pogba proved United wrong. But lots of players continued to meander along or worse after United. Nani, Anderson, Welbeck, Cleverley. Others found a suitable level like Evans or Hernandez.

Shaw and Martial great examples of the suspect transfer policy United had post SAF. Its great to be able to buy potential but to reach potential they need to join a stable team and even then its no sure thing. If they are lost to United this summer its more to do with that happened pre Jose.

Its very difficult to question Jose's approach to players coming in so far.

As an Arsenal fan whilst I love Welbeck and his attitude he really hasn't evolved at all since leaving Utd you're dead right.

domrush wrote: »
    As an Arsenal fan whilst I love Welbeck and his attitude he really hasn't evolved at all since leaving Utd you're dead right.

Injuries played a part there. He is acceptable and a good squad player, Nani did okay as well since leaving. Both players were, in there day, players I really wanted to see United go with and back when they were young but as a fan that is blind hope. I thought they could be more than squad players.

That said, I would still like them at United tbh. While SAF was around, the stability he provided meant they could play a positive part. They just never reached the level I hoped.

Aside from Rashford I wouldn't give a toss who we sell or replace. No room for sentiment in pursuit of a league title next season. Jose will get all the criticism if we fail next season so I hope he makes whatever changes he needs to make.

Then really a striker with 5 league goals in over 30 appearances should be nowhere near our squad ;)

Obviously I'm being pedantic, but point being, are we just affording no patience of allowance for signings to settle or potential to flourish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/869457654120370176

"City fail to agree wages with Mendy, United ready to step in."

Probably the most unlikely, unbelievable thing I'll read today......probably!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Any chance we can post the contents as well? Not everyone has Twitter in work :o

capable of performing now, not one who might if given time.

And as above, everyone going mental over a striker with 5 goals in over 30 appearances and how he is going to be a superstar......

Totally get what people are saying, but for me it kinda just paints what I always felt, the "United way" just being a total myth that allowed people to have another stick to beat Van Gaal with.

All fans care about, all we care about (evident from this season) is winning. Not how we win, not how young the team is, or what academy players are there, we just care about winning. Trophies, cups, leagues.

I'm not exactly disagreeing, I'm not ridiculing Rashford(there is obvious mitigating circumstances there) but as someone who just takes an interest in people, and how opinions form and how a narrative holds, it does make very interesting reading.

Not that it is a new phenomenon, but it's becoming so abundantly evident that patience is wearing thing for potential and some people will just want a ready made team ready to win titles, regardless of the cost or the long term impact (separate debate)

Core point to this line of thinking and topic is the alternative reality, that if the manager was able to coax form from these players, (we have seen Martial and Shaw play at a high level under Van Gaal for example) would there be queries about their attitude or trusting their ability to operate at the level.

Or has the manager failed to be able to harness the tools at his disposal, and painted a picture that the issue is the players, as it couldn't possibly be him.

Just a thought. And it's a thought taking a firmer hold as I see some posters and posts just writing off some players, where they were being championed not even a year ago (TSC not saying I remember you specifically bigging Shaw or Martial or anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Nothing to happen with Griezmann until after the international games are complete.
    He then decides his future is what is being said today.
    He could stay at Atletico, move to United or someother unnamed club that would apparently pay his buyout clsuse.

• Advertisement

Then really a striker with 5 league goals in over 30 appearances should be nowhere near our squad ;)

Obviously I'm being pedantic, but point being, are we just affording no patience of allowance for signings to settle or potential to flourish?

I just love Rashford is all. I want him to be a legend for us when he retires. That's the romantic in me.

But generally I couldn't care less about football players as it's the club I follow. Is there a huge list of players who have struggled in their first season or two and then went on to be great? Genuine question as I could probably argue there's a long listof players who struggled and only got worse as time went on.

Before anyone says Christiano struggled early on, he didn't. People remember his first years very wrongly. He was up and down but constantly improving very much like Marcus Rashford.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement