Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

@AndyMitten
    This journalist @RuizAntonito is v good on Atletico Madrid and says that Griezmann has told Atletico he wants to leave the club.

Another tweet from Andy Mitten, confirming the journalist is good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Delboy5 wrote: »
    @AndyMitten
    This journalist @RuizAntonito is v good on Atletico Madrid and says that Griezmann has told Atletico he wants to leave the club.

Another tweet from Andy Mitten, confirming the journalist is good...

But whos side is he on.....???? (But to which club.....:D )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If Griezmann has handed in a request, then I'm really hyped. Hope it's to us now. Given the prices the likes of Mbappe is being quoted, and the level Griezmann is at, I am really hopeful his price tag will look worth it pretty quick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd be delighted to see Martial played as the central striker, the front 3 Mitch already would make me happy going in to next season. I would like to try it understanding that it may fail, but where as there are obviously no guarantees in football (who knows whether Griezmann would settle and have instant impact for example) that front 3 with Martial playing as the focal point using his talents where they are strongest would make me happy.

Ideally one of the two (Martial/Rashford) would be hitting their prime years and the other could be brought through gradually but I think the potential they both show would be a shame to sacrifice one, of course I understand things don't always work out perfectly and one may be moved on and Jose may of course decide he doesn't have enough time/leeway to develop both.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

https://twitter.com/JNorthcroft/status/869516534342975489

Liverpool made approach for Keane but he is United bound apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The thing with Mourinho, he went to the Monaco GP but only the Saturday...some are claiming the Monaco GP provided a nice cover for getting business done, and why attend the Monaco GP but then leave before the race?

Fabinho makes great sense for United.
    I think we get Lindelof, the claims in January were he was never going to leave then but in the summer.
    Keane to replace Smalling or Jones?
    Griezmann.
    A top striker???

I wonder if we will go with a change in formation next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wonder if the age/inconsistency/worry over Martial and Rashford is why we could be looking at players like Willian and Peresic - two wide players that could be played on either side of the front three, taking pressure off Martial/Rashford as they could be rotated out if needed - without having spent billions on a super star player that blocks their path. Greizman has played central for At.Madrid and although I don’t think that is where Mourinho would play him he would be an obvious option there too.

I just think that this coming season is one where Martial and/or Rashford need to prove themselves and be given a chance to do so too. If they don’t show the required improvements or performance levels then we need to look at a star signing next summer, Imo - but this year I would be comfortable taking the chance on them.

Rashford - Martial - Greizmann

Martial - Rashford - Greizmann

Peresic/Willian - Greizman - Mata/Mkhitaryan/Lingard

As I said previously - could be a call for an Hernandez move as an experienced goal scorer.

As a transfer muppet I would obviously like the idea of signing Kane, or Lewandowski, or Bellotti or Lukaku - but I also consider the players we already have and how we can use them. If we sign a superstar forward (along with Greizmann) I think there would need to be a number of sales - one or two from Martial, Lingard, Mkhitaryan and Mata.

RobertKK wrote: »
    The thing with Mourinho, he went to the Monaco GP but only the Saturday...some are claiming the Monaco GP provided a nice cover for getting business done, and why attend the Monaco GP but then leave before the race?

Fabinho makes great sense for United.
    I think we get Lindelof, the claims in January were he was never going to leave then but in the summer.
    Keane to replace Smalling or Jones?
    Griezmann.
    A top striker???

I wonder if we will go with a change in formation next season?

I don't know how much Mourinho needs to get involved in transfer deals - maybe a personal touch with regards to the player is needed to get some over the line.

Can't see us signing Lindelof and Keane. One or other imo.

Also....

We (I) are gonna look like some tools when the At. Madrid ban is upheld tomorrow or Greizman tells us to get stuffed and signs for Bayern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Is there anyone reliable linking us with Fabinho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Is there anyone reliable linking us with Fabinho?

Think he will end up at city tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Rio Ferdinand's letter to his younger self on Players Tribune.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/rio-ferdinand-letter-to-my-younger-self/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Also....

We (I) are gonna look like some tools when the At. Madrid ban is upheld tomorrow or Greizman tells us to get stuffed and signs for Bayern.

I don't see how it's people looking like fools it be hard not to be excited we can surely talk about it. Look at the people that would be laughing it be mostly liverpool fans sure they monitor players all summer every year.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I don't see how it's people looking like fools it be hard not to be excited we can surely talk about it. Look at the people that would be laughing it be mostly liverpool fans sure they monitor players all summer every year.

Just the way it is basically assumed he is already picking curtains for his new gaff in Manchester.

But yeah, I have no issue talking about the silly season myself.

Just the way it is basically assumed he is already picking curtains for his new gaff in Manchester.

Your name has been made talking about silly season :):)

Griezmann may join us he may not I'll talk about it but I wouldn't put moment on it ha.

Do you think he will have red man United curtains in his pad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Mentioned before but dont think it was answered, but surely a transfer ban is only on new players registering.

Pretty sure a ban cannot force players from leaving a club, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

TheDoc wrote: »
    Mentioned before but dont think it was answered, but surely a transfer ban is only on new players registering.

Yeah I`m pretty sure it doesnt affect outgoing players.

I`d say Greizmann is a dead cert for Utd at this stage. I`ll be very surprised if he doesnt sign.

It's more a thing of...will Griezmann, knowing they can't replace him, leave, or will he stick round till the ban is up so as not to leave the club high and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

That's actually a good point. Who are the strikers outside of the obvious links we have had?

Morata potentially, but I'd imagine that is in the region of 50-60m unless the player really pushes for a move.

Aubamayang will likely be in the 40m region but not sure if he is suited?

I guess it is also possible that with the way the market was looking like it would shape up , months in advance, the club have budgeted for a big spend.

Timo Werner might be a bit of a left field suggestion. Great season with Leipzig playing predominantly as a striker, interestingly he's also very good off the right hand side. Quick, good finisher, strong enough, good interplay and linkup play.

Andre Silva had a pretty impressive season with Porto and seems to be living up to the hype.

Gabriel Barbosa moved to Inter and that hasn't really worked out for him. With talk they are looking to raise funds for an impending rebuild. Imagine we already took a look though and were unimpressed if we somehow landed on Perisic.

Lots of good names there, but I'm not sure about a lot of them being suited to playing as a single CF in a Jose team.

I think Aubameyang, Morata and Andre Silva would all cost big money, which might rule them out. In terms of suitability I don't think Aubameyang would fit, but Morata and Silva could possibly. They both have that ability to hold onto the ball and bring others into play, but they'd need to improve their aerial ability.

Timo Werner is a great shout for a world class striker who might be cheap, but I don't think he's good enough in the air or at holding the ball up for what we need. I don't see him as a player worth playing wide either, he's a pure striker imo.

I haven't seen enough of Gabigol to be able to comment on him.

I'll make two suggestions: Ciro Immobile and Bas Dost. Immobile is similar to Belotti in that he's not a monster in the air but is a good header of the ball, and he works hard, holds it up well and scores lots. He's had an up and down career, with moves to Dortmund and Sevilla not working out, but I wouldn't hold that against him as there were very good strikers keeping him out of those teams. He has scored a lot in two separate spells in Italy. Dost is just a straightforward target-man who scores loads. His record used to be rightly questioned because of the small sample size, but it's gone on long enough now to look like he just is a consistent goal scorer.
    I'd say the problem, outside of the big names (mostly not available) you go to an age bracket where Mourinho himself probably would be hesitant investing, and we should be suspect of it considering his chequered track record with young players and how he has managed Martial. You move down from that level of Kane and Lukaku and you are looking at a rake of 19-21 yr olds where you wonder about consistency and if they might work out.

I don't think you have to shop for young players if you don't want to. There'll be plenty of players to choose from in their mid-twenties, or whatever you think is the best age.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think the Atletico transfer ban will be lifted and everything from there will flow smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Has anyone else been linked with a move for Griezmann?

I haven't the usual suspects linked at all - i.e. Bayern, Chelsea, City, Juve, Barca, PSG or Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Has anyone else been linked with a move for Griezmann?

I haven't the usual suspects linked at all - i.e. Bayern, Chelsea, City, Juve, Barca, PSG or Madrid.

Marca reporting its us and Bayern.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Marca reporting its us and Bayern.

Who are Bayern selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

DM_7 wrote: »
    He may go for the 'muscle' elsewhere, like how he used Fellaini in the EL final.

I think getting the muscle into the team elsewhere only works in some situations. We didn't create much in the final and I'd expect that would keep happening if we used that set-up more often. Jose relies on crosses, long balls and isolated forwards a lot. So we need forwards who can create and score from that type of service imo.

Who are Bayern selling?

Maybe we finally get Lewandowski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    Think he will end up at city tbh

The supposed City list:

https://twitter.com/sammy_goal/status/869538181242335232

"As far as I know it's Ederson, Walker, Bonucci, Mendy, Silva, Alexis and maybe another forward (Mbappe?). There'll be more but I dunno them"

He was then asked about Fabinho being on the list and he replied nope.

There is a couple of articles around saying that we are leading the chase for Fabinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I am so ****ing excited

I both love and hate the transfer market

Love it since Jose came in we could sign anyone 😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

astradave wrote: »
    The supposed City list:

"As far as I know it's Ederson, Walker, Bonucci, Mendy, Silva, Alexis and maybe another forward (Mbappe?). There'll be more but I dunno them"

There is a couple of articles around saying that we are leading the chase for Fabinho

Bar mbappe the rest will cost £45-50 million each so city could spend £300-400 million

Hococop wrote: »
    Bar mbappe the rest will cost £45-50 million each so city could spend £300-400 million

They are estimating that they will spend at least 300m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Who are Bayern selling?

Tell you who I wish they were selling, Joshua Kimmich.

For those who might not watch a lot of Bayern you'd know him from Germany games where he played a fair bit at RB. Has turned into a pretty sensational holding midfielder. Just so happens to be a pretty savage right back too.

One of those impossible signings I'd say, but I'd love to know/learn/read what Germany are doing in their youth academies and setups to churn out these incredible midfielders.

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »

Another interesting thing is ain't city due back something like 40 or 60 million pound from UEFA because they complied with financial fair play or something.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think getting the muscle into the team elsewhere only works in some situations. We didn't create much in the final and I'd expect that would keep happening if we used that set-up more often. Jose relies on crosses, long balls and isolated forwards a lot. So we need forwards who can create and score from that type of service imo.

Does he rely on that because he had Zlatan this season and was missing some other players/qualities? Its interesting to me right now as I dont expect a major striker arriving even though it would be expected from a Jose team to have one.

I mentioned Fellaini more for the days he wants to add something extra rather than every game.

He has used a strong CF a lot, successfully as well. This season, with one, he didn't get enough spaces for players like Miki to work in. He has used creative players well in the past.

I can see him going with more pace and width next season. Partly because of the need to get better oppertunities for Miki or Pogba but also the way he spoke about needing to attack at Manchester United.

I am so ****ing excited

I both love and hate the transfer market

Love it since Jose came in we could sign anyone ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Calm down, not much to get really excited about

Although, in Jose's second Inter season he signed 6 players and won the Treble.

Not that we should get carried away or anything.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    The supposed City list:

Holy **** that is some transfer list for city.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Kick off time for Michael Carrick's Testimonial Game has been changed to 14:30 on Sunday.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Kick off time for Michael Carrick's Testimonial Game has been changed to 14:30 on Sunday.

Moved as there is a benefit concert for the victims of the recent terrorist attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Mahrez has said he wants to leave Leicester. Not sure if he is attractive to us. Id expect Arsenal and Liverpool to go for him but Spurs might be a good fit for him.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Rio Ferdinand's letter to his younger self on Players Tribune.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/rio-ferdinand-letter-to-my-younger-self/

Holy ****. Thanks for linking that.

Adds some serious context to his conversation with Jose aired on BT and about attitude, work rate etc.

Shows why Keane and Scholes are obsessed with it, they were obsessed as players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

GSPfan wrote: »
    Mahrez has said he wants to leave Leicester. Not sure if he is attractive to us. Id expect Arsenal and Liverpool to go for him but Spurs might be a good fit for him.

Nah wouldn't have been overly pushed even last summer tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Tell you who I wish they were selling, Joshua Kimmich.

For those who might not watch a lot of Bayern you'd know him from Germany games where he played a fair bit at RB. Has turned into a pretty sensational holding midfielder. Just so happens to be a pretty savage right back too.

One of those impossible signings I'd say, but I'd love to know/learn/read what Germany are doing in their youth academies and setups to churn out these incredible midfielders.

here you go https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/23/germany-bust-boom-talent

The article is about 3 years old but theres a decent bit of information floating around about it. I remember reading some other pieces a couple of years back but can't remember from where now.

Holy ****. Thanks for linking that.

Adds some serious context to his conversation with Jose aired on BT and about attitude, work rate etc.

Shows why Keane and Scholes are obsessed with it, they were obsessed as players.

in terms of that winning attitude - that we had under Fergie, with players like Keane, GIggs, Scholes, Cantona, Beckham, Butt, Stam, Vidic, Rio etc... who the feck has that type of attitude at United now? How are the leaders on and off the pitch, who instills that level of dedication?

Remember RVP saying his first few training sessions at United were an eye opener.

We have some talented players - but we don't have any I would look at as leaders really. Jose leaned heavily on that with Lampard, Terry, Drogba, Cech.

I really like Herrera, and he has a bit about him in that way. I think its a big reason Zlatan Ibrahimovic was brought in. but I currently wouldn't be looking at anyone else that I can think of. United will be looking for Pogba to be a leader, but i'm not sure that is his personality - he will certainly (imo) strive to be the best he can be and do his best for the side - but in terms of driving attitude at training and around the club? I just don't see it - but maybe thats simply because he is still very young. Maybe in 5 years he is that player.

I do think there has been a loss of leadership and attitude at united, and that is as big a reason as anything else for our current position.

https://twitter.com/barcastuff__/status/869571439288090624

United midfielder Ander Herrera (27) will reject the meeting with Valverde, who wants him to join Bar?a. Herrera wants to stay put. [times]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Didn't Mourhino give Fabinho his debut at Real Madrid?

will be interesting to see who gets the captaincy if/when Rooney leaves.

Herrera, Valencia the two main options I can think of. Might be given to Carrick with one of the other two taking the armband on the pitch.

Can't help but think Herrera is playing his new contract negotiations very well. Bravo Ander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Iago wrote: »
    here you go https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/23/germany-bust-boom-talent

The article is about 3 years old but theres a decent bit of information floating around about it. I remember reading some other pieces a couple of years back but can't remember from where now.

Check out Das Reboot. Really good book about the changes DFB implemented after a few bad tournaments/poor football in the late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

will be interesting to see who gets the captaincy if/when Rooney leaves.

Herrera, Valencia the two main options I can think of. Might be given to Carrick with one of the other two taking the armband on the pitch.

I reckon it will probably be Carrick. Herrera possibly for the on pitch armband. I can't see Valencia getting it due to the amount of media that captains have to do & his reluctance to speak English without an interpreter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Could have sworn AIG told me it was down to Guardiola, yep, even though he hadn't even managed in Germany at that point....

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

Greizmann has requested a transfer according reliable sources in Spain. I reckon Athleticos transfer ban was lifted so they will be able to sign Lacazette and they asked him to request to leave as it would be better PR for the club and would look as if he wanted the move more then Atletico needing the cash.

billyhead wrote: »
    Greizmann has requested a transfer according reliable sources in Spain. I reckon Athleticos transfer ban was lifted so they will be able to sign Lacazette and they asked him to request to leave as it would be better PR for the club and would look as if he wanted the move more then Atletico needing the cash.

Or he just asked to leave. Or he didn't at all. Wouldn't think too hard about it. We'll know by September. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement