Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I would have him back in heartbeat.

I'd love to see the little rascal back but it's hard to see him want to return if he is used mainly off the bench when he would be a guaranteed starter elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

tossy wrote: »

Herrera is a gem, i'd be more upset about losing him than many other players- he's the closet thing to Keane we've had in a long time.

I think you are hugely overvaluing Herreras worth. He is a very good player alright but lets face it, hes not good enough to play in a two man midfield and nowhere near what Keane offered the team and nothing like him really.

I do get his value to the team and while he is a very good player, I think he is hugely overvalued on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The way someone took Ronaldo aside and told him ? Or Young ?

I think Ronaldo would have been an awful captain. I don't care about Young, but I've never seen him faking injury like Herrera.
    If a player is doing their job and perfomring other professionals at the club don't care about his antics.

The players will care if the club acts like they have values and behaviours they insist on being upheld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hernandez is apparently available for €13m :(

Evidence that even in todays market what his stock is?

I would have him back too of course, but he left cause he didn't want to sit on the bench, unless he has now become more excited by the thought of sitting on the bench and being rotational then what would be the point?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Herrera wouldn't be left in the same building as Keane's boots never mind be allowed to lace them.

It's like saying drinking from this muddy puddle is the closest thing you've had to a glass of Middleton since Christmas.

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    Can see United signing a squad striker.

Jose has form there, Falcao, Remy, Eto'o in three summers at Chelsea.

:confused:

I had actually completely forgotten that ever happened!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

keane2097 wrote: »
    Herrera wouldn't be left in the same building as Keane's boots never mind be allowed to lace them.

It's like saying drinking from this muddy puddle is the closest thing you've had to a glass of Middleton since Christmas.

Thought I am a big admirer of Herrera and what he brings to the team I wholeheartedly agree with this. To make comments like he is the closest thing to Keane is hugely insulting to Keane tbh.

Herrera has a place in the team at the minute, and his passion for the club has always been a big plus, he is a very good player but he is not one you would consider irreplaceable surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rod Munch wrote: »
    I'd love to see the little rascal back but it's hard to see him want to return if he is used mainly off the bench when he would be a guaranteed starter elsewhere.

Very true. I have better chance of playing for United then him returning.

Will be cracking signing at that price for whoever gets him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Last I read, Lyon want him as their Lacazette replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/AlexisMerlino/status/869793857369669632

Fabinho close to United ,€40-€45 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I dunno - Jose has name checked him a few times, said he was a player he would not have sold.

To me it certainly seems Chico is a player Jose would like in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

adox wrote: »
    I think you are hugely overvaluing Herreras worth. He is a very good player alright but lets face it, hes not good enough to play in a two man midfield and nowhere near what Keane offered the team and nothing like him really.

I do get his value to the team and while he is a very good player, I think he is hugely overvalued on here.

Lol people here are desperate to replace Herrera with a glitzier midfielder.

I dunno - Jose has name checked him a few times, said he was a player he would not have sold.

Like Rod said, would he be happy with being Sub in lot of the games?

I take your point though.

zerks wrote: »

Whats he like for transfer zerks?

Like Rod said, would he be happy with being Sub in lot of the games?

I take your point though.

Might have changed his perspective - I know he left United (and was not the model pro we thought) because of first team chances (and went to Real Madrid... lol)

That's where I see the problem, I am sure Jose would like him in the squad, probably not many managers would turn down having a player like that in the squad, but when being in the squad isn't enough for the player its a moot point.

You would think that would be a deal that could have been done already if there was any chance of it with Chicha being available cheap and Jose speaking well of him.

Wouldn't have sold him, and would buy him are different. If Chicha isn't willing to be backup then its wasting both sides time really.

Might have changed his perspective - I know he left United (and was not the model pro we thought) because of first team chances (and went to Real Madrid... lol)

True, but he from Mexico. My missus is Mexican and its all Barca and Real over there. To a Latin American Barca and Real will always be the clubs to join. Even if only for sub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

pjohnson wrote: »
    Lol people here are desperate to replace Herrera with a glitzier midfielder.

Who is desperate to replace him?

True, but he from Mexico. My missus is Mexican and its all Barca and Real over there. To a Latin American Barca and Real will always be the clubs to join. Even if only for sub

Heard his conduct behind the scenes at Madrid was no better than at United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think Ronaldo would have been an awful captain. I don't care about Young, but I've never seen him faking injury like Herrera.

The players will care if the club acts like they have values and behaviours they insist on being upheld.

Ronaldo has been a fantastic captain for portugal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Didn't realise he was disruptive

Fair enough. Probably right when he only spent that season there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

zerks wrote: »

Bargain if true!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

What was Chicarito at behind the scenes at United? Always supposed he was a humble sort of fella

astradave wrote: »
    Bargain if true!

Ya I be pleased and in todays prices that be decent price.

Bargain if true!

wow he's only 23?

From looking at him I thought he was about 28 or something, looks well weathered :D

Only really seen him in the Champions league, what is he, a holding CM or?

TheDoc wrote: »
    wow he's only 23?

From looking at him I thought he was about 28 or something, looks well weathered :D

Only really seen him in the Champions league, what is he, a holding CM or?

He is a RB and a DM, plays both of those positions excellently, he is probably the ideal player to play at the base of a midfield trio allowing Pogba and Herrera to do their things

DM_7 wrote: »
    Does he rely on that because he had Zlatan this season and was missing some other players/qualities? Its interesting to me right now as I dont expect a major striker arriving even though it would be expected from a Jose team to have one.

I mentioned Fellaini more for the days he wants to add something extra rather than every game.

He has used a strong CF a lot, successfully as well. This season, with one, he didn't get enough spaces for players like Miki to work in. He has used creative players well in the past.

I can see him going with more pace and width next season. Partly because of the need to get better oppertunities for Miki or Pogba but also the way he spoke about needing to attack at Manchester United.

I think Jose would have played the same this season whether he had signed Ibra or a young Inzaghi. I've never seen evidence that Jose can organise an attack any other way. Different formations and tactical tweaks yes, but always with the same underlying style.

I could well believe he'll look for more pace and width with his summer signings too. We were sorely lacking it this season imo.

bangkok wrote: »
    Ronaldo has been a fantastic captain for portugal

Meh. I don't agree and, more importantly, it's a completely different culture in Portugal to what I'd ever want to see at United.

• Advertisement

Meh. I don't agree and, more importantly, it's a completely different culture in Portugal to what I'd ever want to see at United.

If you are looking for someone to lead by example in how they present themselves, their attitude in training, attitude on the pitch, big game responsibility, attitude off the pitch etc how players look up to him etc ronaldo would be a great captain. Most important of all is he is a winner

If you are looking for someone to lead by example in how they present themselves, their attitude in training, attitude on the pitch, big game responsibility, attitude off the pitch etc how players look up to him etc ronaldo would be a great captain. Most important of all is he is a winner

Ronaldo has a terrible attitude on the pitch when it comes to dealing with loss of possession, working for his teammates and taking responsibility for his mistakes. Obviously he is a great player, but, also obviously, there are things about his behaviour on the pitch that wouldn't be what you'd expect from a good captain.

Now please Bangkok, I'm begging you here, don't give me some stupid, non sequitur response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ronaldo has a terrible attitude on the pitch when it comes to dealing with loss of possession, working for his teammates and taking responsibility for his mistakes. Obviously he is a great player, but, also obviously, there are things about his behaviour on the pitch that wouldn't be what you'd expect from a good captain.

Now please Bangkok, I'm begging you here, don't give me some stupid, non sequitur response.

I agree here.

While Ronaldo has a great selection of attributes to be a captain like Bangkok suggested, its his bad traits that would make him questionable.

His strops at his own players look so destructive rather than constructive. His selfishness seems to alienate him at times from his teammates.

Majority of captains in football have their flaws. The captain is more often than not a representation of what the club is about.

Man city, chelsea and arsenal club captains hardly played any football this season but they are big voices on the training ground and in the dressing room.

Anyway, there is added resonsibility with being a captain and i think i would rather ronaldo concentrate on scoring his **** load of goals every season than being captain

Majority of captains in football have their flaws.

This doesn't mean that Ronaldo would be a good captain.
    The captain is more often than not a representation of what the club is about.

Exactly. I'd be annoyed if the club had a prima donna as captain.
    Man city, chelsea and arsenal club captains hardly played any football this season but they are big voices on the training ground and in the dressing room.

Well done on finding something irrelevant to pad your post out with.
    Anyway, there is added resonsibility with being a captain and i think i would rather ronaldo concentrate on scoring his **** load of goals every season than being captain

Good for you.

To be fair to bangkok, we dont know exactly how good of an influence Ronaldo is off the pitch or on the training ground.

Ive played with players like Ronaldo who would throw strops on the pitch, but were completely different off of it, i.e. very encouraging, supportive, good fun to be around etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/CheGiaevara/status/869881742622175232

GriezON!

"Only sentiment can stop a move now".

https://t.co/OjoGnbDw7B

No tax payable on Spanish buyout clauses leaving United free run for Griezmann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ElChe32 wrote: »
    What was Chicarito at behind the scenes at United? Always supposed he was a humble sort of fella

Probably just some "new" rumours of misbehaviour. I thought same as you.

This doesn't mean that Ronaldo would be a good captain.

Exactly. I'd be annoyed if the club had a prima donna as captain.

Well done on finding something irrelevant to pad your post out with.

Good for you.

https://youtu.be/7SpTSf_dbB4

Thats what being captain is all about and standing up when it matters most on the pitch

Majority of captains in football have their flaws. The captain is more often than not a representation of what the club is about.

Make up your mind, does he have a great attitude on the pitch or is it one of his flaws?

Make up your mind, does he have a great attitude on the pitch or is it one of his flaws?

He has an unbeleivable attitude. Silly question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Thats what being captain is all about and standing up when it matters most on the pitch

That's a dressing room :confused:

He has an unbeleivable attitude. Silly question

Its not a silly question, he has a great will to win, great competitive nature, great determination. But there is no doubt that he can also have what appears to be a toxic destructive attitude at times. Esp when things dont go his way.

aefe8f0afff899ee4d6802c9467043a8.jpg

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Its not a silly question, he has a great will to win, great competitive nature, great determination. But there is no doubt that he can also have what appears to be a toxic destructive attitude at times. Esp when things dont go his way.

Like eric cantona? Roy keane?

aefe8f0afff899ee4d6802c9467043a8.jpg

For someone who gives out a lot when people post childish gifs or positivity trains im surprised you posted that

Controversial statement :

It's been a long time since I gave a **** who wore the captains armband.

Captain status at a club has long since lost it's meaning and purpose. It's just a symbolic gesture at this stage and has little to no meaning.

Like eric cantona? Roy keane?

It depends on the context.

Roy Keane would rightly be angry or destructive at times. Usually when team mates would do something foolish, stupid, selfish in a way that didnt benefit the team.

I see Ronaldo constantly throw his arms aloft in disgust when a player does something to positive at the expense of giving him the ball.

For someone who gives out a lot when people post childish gifs or positivity trains im surprised you posted that

I'm a fan of funny gifs and pics. You have a severe inability to understand the diffences between things.

Pro. F gave out about some gifs and some humour, he must hate all gifs and humour.

Ronaldo has some positive character traits, he would be a good captain like Keane and Cantona.

It is f?cking mental the way you carry on.

Roy Keane would rightly be angry or destructive at times. Usually when team mates would do something foolish, stupid, selfish in a way that didnt benefit the team.

I see Ronaldo constantly throw his arms aloft in disgust when a player does something to positive at the expense of giving him the ball.

Im pretty sure there's no point in explaining it. When somebody has gotten to the point of using Keane and Cantona as justification for why Ronaldo would be a good captain, you can be pretty sure they aren't actually being honest about the discussion.

Edit: Can't even follow my own advice. I've been thoroughly bangkoked.

Cantona threw plenty of strops... walked around with his collar up, i dont see much difference between him and ronaldo, but as long as they produced on the pitch i couldnt give a toss

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement