Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Who are his media buddies?

Like, I understand both sides of this argument, and would agree with the majority, but don't act as if Scholes, Rio et al. weren't massively campaigning for Giggs to get the job when LVG got sacked. Giggs absolutely has a group there who are very "positive" towards him, his abilities and the level of job he supposedly deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Pretty much yea. For me he left an awfully sour taste in the mouth after the Van Gaal and Moyes reign but there was never any criticism directed at him, in fact I remember one story where they were praising him for being animated while LVG was sitting down.

Since leaving United he was touted for so many jobs that he hasn't gotten, much to the chagrin of those proper football men.

I have no arguments that he was a very good player for us over a very long period of time but I find him very hard to stomach and would be glad to never see him linked to the club again.

There were huge arguments on here, and on twitter, at least, on Giggs touchline behaviour in those last few games. Loads of people criticised him.

For the record, I was delighted to see someone trying to get a better level of performance out of the players.

I'd be delighted to see Giggs back at the club in some capacity - just not as manager until he has earned the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Like, I understand both sides of this argument, and would agree with the majority, but don't act as if Scholes, Rio et al. weren't massively campaigning for Giggs to get the job when LVG got sacked. Giggs absolutely has a group there who are very "positive" towards him, his abilities and the level of job he supposedly deserves.

I was more thinking along line of newspaper and TV outlets and their employers.

In this case it would relate to "friends" rather then media buddies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

RockSalto wrote: »
    Never once saw Ronaldo give out if he didn't get the ball in a worse position than a teammate.

The thing is, as the focal point of his team (and because he's a great player), he usually picks up the best positions.

OBviously don't watch as much of R.Madrid as I do.

He embarrasses himself a fair bit. I'm a massive fan of his, but he is as petulant as they come. The amount of times he is clearly aggrieved and sometimes puts on a scorn face, when a team mate scores instead of sliding him in for a tapin, is a bit ridiculous.

Which when they speak on TV turns into column inches.

It was preposterous the championing of Giggs for the managers job and I think it dirtied some of those peoples bibs, basically throwing away their objectivity and integrity in their role as pundits and analysts to put his name forward and saying how he should and could be United manager. Always felt like a little powerplay from some of the "gang" as a route back into OT. As if Giggs took over and he would take some of that group as coaches or whatever.

I get where that poster is coming from, if maybe not as passionate. But Giggs was part of two failed regimes, he is culpable as part of those teams. While appreciating he was not the manager and appreciating he had designated tasks he was still part of the group, part of the team. And he cannot be separated just because of his association to the club.

I'm yet to see any indication or comment on what he did apart from opposition scouting (in a junior capacity to a more senior analyst) and have seen no real comment or approval of what he is like as a coach, apart from some players who thanked him or said he was a big help, but then those players were still actively playing at the club and wouldn't **** talk a coach in public.

Needs to get out on his own and see how he does. Have a feeling it won't go well for him but would wish him all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Why would criticism be aimed at him? He was only a player-coach under Moyes and even though he was Van Gaals assistant what would you criticise about him? He was vastly under experienced so criticism should be aimed at whoever wanted him there whether that be Van Gaal or the club. Now if you said I hope he never manages United cause he's scum for what he done to his brother and wife okay fair enough but hoping he never manages United cause of mistakes made by others while he was player-coach and assistant is strange.

Look undoubtedly his personal behaviour is pretty ****ty and on that alone I agree but aside from that I have never warmed to him.

Clearly my opinion/feeling is in the minority (is 1 a minority or a crack pot) but it is what is is. The guy has no place at OT now or in the future, IMO.

I think Roy Curtis was a big "supporter" of him at the time, was talking about how LVG was exiling Giggs and then Giggs got the huff about Jose coming in and Curtis reporting that it would be the end of Giggs and Butt (seems to be working out ok for Butt).

TheDoc wrote: »
    Which when they speak on TV turns into column inches.

It was preposterous the championing of Giggs for the managers job and I think it dirtied some of those peoples bibs, basically throwing away their objectivity and integrity in their role as pundits and analysts to put his name forward and saying how he should and could be United manager. Always felt like a little powerplay from some of the "gang" as a route back into OT. As if Giggs took over and he would take some of that group as coaches or whatever.

I get where that poster is coming from, if maybe not as passionate. But Giggs was part of two failed regimes, he is culpable as part of those teams. While appreciating he was not the manager and appreciating he had designated tasks he was still part of the group, part of the team. And he cannot be separated just because of his association to the club.

I'm yet to see any indication or comment on what he did apart from opposition scouting (in a junior capacity to a more senior analyst) and have seen no real comment or approval of what he is like as a coach, apart from some players who thanked him or said he was a big help, but then those players were still actively playing at the club and wouldn't **** talk a coach in public.

Needs to get out on his own and see how he does. Have a feeling it won't go well for him but would wish him all the best.

I agree in general, but they are still his friends rather then total support from Media Outlets.

I don't think he is up to it myself, so I'm actually on the "I don't want Giggs to be Man United manager" side, but only small handful wanted him to get the job.

It was not like there was total uproar when he did not get it. Most of us threw sigh of relief

AG getting on the Pogba-tease-a-transfer train.

https://twitter.com/AntoGriezmann/status/869923023805173760

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

How come people hold giggs accountable for lvg and moyes failing but not once have I heard anyone with a gripe about how we played this season blame Rui Faria?

Giggs was a novice learning his stripes under two terrible management decisions love him or hate him he served the club well over the years the thoughts of anyone hoping he fails in management elsewhere is childish.

I'd love giggs to go somewhere else and to be a massive success and comeback to manage United in ten years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

AG getting on the Pogba-tease-a-transfer train.

Could that ad have been any more French?? Should have ended with "FIN"

• Advertisement

ha, just seen the thing with the watch. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Jayop wrote: »
    ha, just seen the thing with the watch. Brilliant.

AG you scallywag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That ****er hanging up on Jose

jayo26 wrote: »
    How come people hold giggs accountable for lvg and moyes failing but not once have I heard anyone with a gripe about how we played this season blame Rui Faria?

Giggs was a novice learning his stripes under two terrible management decisions love him or hate him he served the club well over the years the thoughts of anyone hoping he fails in management elsewhere is childish.

I'd love giggs to go somewhere else and to be a massive success and comeback to manage United in ten years time.

If Rui Faria was looking to become United manager and we had played two or three seasons of crap with him as assistant manager I am sure we would be hearing people hold him accountable.

when asked about griezmann if he was joining united .... pogba replied "watch this space"

If Rui Faria was looking to become United manager and we had played two or three seasons of crap with him as assistant manager I am sure we would be hearing people hold him accountable.

Why it's the manager that pics teams and tactics I know highs was involved but it all stops on the manager.

I'm just of the opinion that highs was very hard done by some United fans.

No he shouldn't of ever got the manager job he wasn't ready for it but fuk me get over it hopefully he becomes a success and gets a chance of manager in future if he earned it.

Mourino has been clear in that during a game, he receives no input, and doesn't want input from his coaches outside of their designated tasks on the day (preparing subs, preparing set piece stuff) as he feels he needs to be in total control, with no influence, to make the best decisions.

And while Faria has grown in terms of tactical input, it's worth remembering he the fitness coach. He manages the teams overall fitness regimes and their recovery and injury prevention.

He isn't like what say Klopp has in a "tactical machine" sitting beside him.

So I think it's pretty clear why the coaching staff wouldn't be getting grief. Whereas Giggs role was not really ever 100% clear.

Either or, I just think it's rich to perform poorly as a team and for someone to be excused or in some ways someone to try distance themselves (as Giggs did twice). The priority should be enforcing change or improvement internally, not just jumping ship or distancing yourself when the writing appears on the wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

when asked about griezmann if he was joining united .... pogba replied "watch this space"

Pogba did greizemann celebration after europa league final as well... looks a done deal to me.

Although di marzio did say we wanted mbappe and morata before griezmann and have already had a 85m bid on mbappe rejected

bangkok wrote: »
    Pogba did greizemann celebration after europa league final as well... looks a done deal to me.

Although di marzio did say we wanted mbappe and morata before griezmann and have already had a 85m bid on mbappe rejected

Mbappe will not be joining United No way I don't believe that he is even still an option.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »

I seen that and didn't put 2 and 2 together at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think the Griezmann deal is done, and now the marketing is underway given he is under the spotlight.

So in that regard a deal for Griezmann might not be a priority as it is a given and all the work is done.

Mbappe, Morata, Belotti, Lewandowski...whoever is the priority, because Jose knows he needs goals and lots of goals for next season, not convinced Morata is the best but don't think we are getting him anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

When a club has Rashford and Martial it would be mental to sign Mbappe as well.

Can't believe that one.

Maybe talk of this type of 'target list' or 'pyramid' is as a negotiation tool to lower a price.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Maybe talk of this type of 'target list' or 'pyramid' is as a negotiation tool to lower a price.
    I would think it makes perfect sense.

These are the players I want. If we can't get these, go for these second choices. etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I would think it makes perfect sense.

These are the players I want. If we can't get these, go for these second choices. etc.

I am not making my point well! You are right, I am sure they have several options worked out and they should.

I meant more specific to a list like 1. Mbappe, 2. Morata, 3. AG.

Not sure what to make of that mix. Not exactly similar players. When United appear all in on Griezmann why would lists with him at 3 appear now.

Probably just transfer bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How come people hold giggs accountable for lvg and moyes failing but not once have I heard anyone with a gripe about how we played this season blame Rui Faria? .

Is our play due to Rui Faria this season? Because if it is I would congratulate him, not blame him, our players were clearly better coached than at any point in the preceding three seasons.

Giggs isn't accountable for Van Gaal and Moyes being shit but he can't slink away squeaky clean either, he was a very visible first team coach of a first team that played utterly crap the entire time he was coaching them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mourino has been clear in that during a game, he receives no input, and doesn't want input from his coaches outside of their designated tasks on the day (preparing subs, preparing set piece stuff) as he feels he needs to be in total control, with no influence, to make the best decisions.

And while Faria has grown in terms of tactical input, it's worth remembering he the fitness coach. He manages the teams overall fitness regimes and their recovery and injury prevention.

He isn't like what say Klopp has in a "tactical machine" sitting beside him.

So I think it's pretty clear why the coaching staff wouldn't be getting grief. Whereas Giggs role was not really ever 100% clear.

Either or, I just think it's rich to perform poorly as a team and for someone to be excused or in some ways someone to try distance themselves (as Giggs did twice). The priority should be enforcing change or improvement internally, not just jumping ship or distancing yourself when the writing appears on the wall

Isn't Carlos Lalin doing that Job now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

:)
    DBK7TxDW0AAZJIS.jpg:large

Someone is bored anyway. School Holidays are this week aren't they?

ozL1p6Q.gif

It was a nice try anyways

I wonder if any of this "Griezmann is Jose's 3rd option for the position" stuff, if true, is some attempt to haggle with AM over that huge release fee. At least from my understanding of release clauses - Once met, the owning club must allow the player to move, but the owning club can still sell below the fee of the release clause at any time if they see fit.

If United show Atletico that Griezmann is the 'Pogba' signing of this Summer for us, they'll certainly command every euro they can get of the release clause and take their time doing it.

Show that he is not the main priority of our Summer business and there are other options we are willing to move on - That might help speed up any negotiations and/or make AM feel like they aren't holding all of the cards in this transfer.

To add to my Muppet Musings, I reckon terms are agreed between Griezmann and United. All that is left is for United to meet the release clause of €100-110m with AM. Since it is still very early in the window, I don't mind a week or so been taken to see if that release clause is negotiable. Maybe these "Griezmann is Jose's 3rd option" reports are negotiation tactics.

Why would AM sell Griezmann for below the release clause? I've no idea. Is he worth that much money? I think outside of Ronaldo and Messi, no player is, it's all getting a bit crazy. However he is a player I think would be central to United's next title-winning team if bought. He is clearly attainable and Jose has interest, there will come a point soon where I'll think 'Just pay the money and get it done', but maybe he isn't as desired by Jose/the club as I think he is.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't worry about that attempt at a reaction the glory days to most of them is nearly winning a title.

• Is he actually here to discuss that pic? Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just on the captaincy thing, if ever a team needed a captain on the pitch it's post Fergie Utd. They have looked utterly rudderless when things aren't going well and need a natural leader on the pitch. There is no one at the club that's capable of that role. Zlatan being the nearest thing but he spent a lot of the time isolated up the pitch on his own.

I would love to see more players that are vocal n the pitch, having a word with each other, organising stuff, making sure players are on their toes. There's just no on there to do it and hasn't been for the last couple of years. The only one I see doing s bit of shouting or organising at set pieces is Smalling and he comes across as quite introverted on the pitch.

It's a cliche, but Jose needs his man out on the pitch carrying out and making sure others carry out his instructions. Ideally I would like see a new DM or new CB coming in and taking that role in the medium term.

Long term I would kinda like to see Bailly develop into captain material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The pathetic thing is his own club won nothing ,not even a second rate competition. Be different if a Chelsea supporter posted that ,it would have some relevance .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads, report and ignore.

p1x5y6by6u0z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

How come fizzer isn't on the United panel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

MD1990 wrote: »
    :)
    DBK7TxDW0AAZJIS.jpg:large

He a class A tool these days. Yes they got rid of Rafa, but who they replace him with Royston? Oh yes, Jose! Dope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Carrick looking after his old mate Garcia.His name stick out like a sore thumb on the programme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Pro. F wrote: »
    I've seen him giving out about not receiving a pass when the teammate made the right choice loads of times. I've also seen him giving out to his teammates when he's lost the ball himself. Seen him standing still and throwing his hands in the air when a teammate has lost possession. Seen him keeping the ball and trying to score himself when he should be passing. All that stuff, I have certainly seen him do.

He is better behaved nowadays, especially when the game is important and it's in the balance. And he's better behaved when he's captain for Portugal. But I still wouldn't be calling him good captain material, he's just too self aggrandising. Still agreat player of course, but that's a different thing.
    OBviously don't watch as much of R.Madrid as I do.

He embarrasses himself a fair bit. I'm a massive fan of his, but he is as petulant as they come. The amount of times he is clearly aggrieved and sometimes puts on a scorn face, when a team mate scores instead of sliding him in for a tapin, is a bit ridiculous.

It's a tiny bit possible I see him threw rose-tinted glasses! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Has the Aviva game sold out yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

ANTONIO VALENCIA: THE STRUGGLE TO THE TOP OF WORLD FOOTBALL
    It’s truly rare, especially in modern-day football, to see a player give his all until the very last minute of the game. Earlier this season, as an optimistic Riverside Stadium rallied behind its trailing Middlesbrough outfit - having just three stoppage time minutes to grab the all-important equaliser against Manchester United - there came a moment that signifies and defines what Manchester United’s Antonio Valencia is all about.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2017/5/31/antonio-valencia-the-struggle-to-the-top-of-world-football

Worth a read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

He a class A tool these days. Yes they got rid of Rafa, but who they replace him with Royston? Oh yes, Jose! Dope.

Because back in the day he wouldn't have stood for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Is Dave staying?
    Hope so, no talk like their was last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

I think he's exaggerating. Nobody is acting like Jose has picked up where Fergie left off, and all the celebrations around the two trophies came with an asterisk attached. But there's something to what he's saying. As much as I love the Champions League, every season is ultimately 'about' the league title. That's the bedrock of everything and United had a poor campaign.

Sixth place clearly wasn't good enough, but what troubles me most is just how soon into the season a lot of United fans had pretty much given up on it. Pragmatism is one thing, and we've all had to get used to that, but defeatism isn't something I'm used to hearing from United fans and it's worrying.

Anyway, I'm optimistic. United finished the season with two trophies. It's great for the club, especially the younger players and hopefully it's a sign of improved fortunes for the manager and the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

JamboMac wrote: »
    Is Dave staying?

Jinxed it m8

Sky yellow bar "United reject £60m bid from Real for De Staya / De Goa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Is Dave staying?
    We just rejected 60 mil according to sky sports

That's mental money for a goalkeeper, absolutely mental!

Also seen a comment on the Cafe just there: that's a great way to fill your goalkeeper with confidence before a CL final :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Jinxed it m8

Sky yellow bar "United reject £60m bid from Real for De Staya / De Goa
    skinny90 wrote: »

So the question is who here works for sky sports?

So the question is who here works for sky sports?

Bangkoks brothers housemates cousins girlfriends nephew in Rome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

skinny90 wrote: »

We should be telling them to double it before we entertain any bids. A good keeper is so valuable. The best keeper in the world even more so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement