Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

So it looked like Griezmann was going to be bought to play alongside Ibra,probably from the right, and we cooled our interest in him a couple of weeks ago(probably when it became apparent the extent of Ibras injury). So now we are looking for a proper No.9. Maybe CF wasn't going to be upgraded this season and was going to be held off till next Summer

Depends on how much we are willing to spend this summer but I think this is why the Perisic rumours have come up. A cheaper alternative and then spend big on the CF, Lukaku I reckon now that Costa won't be going to Atleti. It really does depend on how many positions Jose is looking to upgrade. If we get a few players relatively cheap, we might still go for AG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

bangkok wrote: »
    Now theres an argument....... dont think there has been or ever will be better keeper in one on one situations than peter schmeichel was. We are very lucky to have had such great keepers at the club (apart from taibi) :)
    It's hard to say, I'd call it pretty much a coin toss between him and VDS which is pretty remarkable - Schmeichel would likely edge it on longevity but it really is incredibly close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's hard to say, I'd call it pretty much a coin toss between him and VDS which is pretty remarkable - Schmeichel would likely edge it on longevity but it really is incredibly close.

Pretty much would agree with this, although can you imagine if VDS had signed in '01, he would win out then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

VDS was more consistent. He only made 1 howler and that was against West Brom in 2-2 draw at OT.

Schmeichel was more of match winner and games like Newcastle away in March 1996 and Chelsea in December 1998 stick out as games where nobody could beat him.

Along with DDG we have had 3 super keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Hoping griezman is still going to happen, some reports just said he was down the pecking order in priorities.
    But find it hard to believe any stories and think reporters and papers are just throwing bull poop everywhere and hoping it will stick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

JamboMac wrote: »
    Hoping griezman is still going to happen, some reports just said he was down the pecking order in priorities.
    But find it hard to believe any stories and think reporters and papers are just throwing bull poop everywhere and hoping it will stick.

When you see coordinated reports, like there was this morning, then it means the club has relayed the information to the journalists. Us cooling out interest wasn't plucked from thin air, it was information given to the journalists by the club. Ducker and Stones both had identical stories at identical times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lord TSC wrote: »
    When you see coordinated reports, like there was this morning, then it means the club has relayed the information to the journalists. Us cooling out interest wasn't plucked from thin air, it was information given to the journalists by the club. Ducker and Stones both had identical stories at identical times.

Oh 100 percent, but I think people (like me for one) are hoping for a turn around in the coming weeks perhaps, from Griezmann himself maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The only thing we can take from all this is that the press haven't a clue.

United didn't just change their minds about griezmann the same day that Madrid had the ban confirmed he said himself two weeks ago his future would be decided this week obviously he ment he wouldn't push for a move if Madrid couldn't replace him.

United have known for two months zlatan is going to be out for a long time they won't start next season waiting on a 36 year old man to get fit and hope he picks up where he left off.

United knew griezmann wouldn't move if ban was upheld so they move on to other target's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

1. Schmeichel
    2. Van Der Sar
    3. De Gea

Schmiechel and Oliver Kahn being close for best goalkeeper of my lifetime.

• Advertisement

Chatter that Griezmann has been offered, and will sign, a contract extension tonight

pjohnson wrote: »
    1. Schmeichel
    2. Van Der Sar
    3. De Gea

Schmiechel and Oliver Kahn being close for best goalkeeper of my lifetime.

Buffon for me even tho I loved schmeichel I think buffon has been fantastic for nearly 20 years.

Chatter that Griezmann has been offered, and will sign, a contract extension tonight

:( never wanted him anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Always very surprised at the number of people who put VDS ahead of Schmeichel. Schmeichel miles ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

keane2097 wrote: »
    Always very surprised at the number of people who put VDS ahead of Schmeichel. Schmeichel miles ahead.

I dont think they are miles ahead. I feel teh had different quailities and different weaknesses. Both great for different reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

VDS was more consistent. He only made 1 howler and that was against West Brom in 2-2 draw at OT.

I'm probably being extremely harsh on him considering how much of a legend he is but his final game always sticks with me. CL Final 3-1 loss to Barca, beaten 3 times at his near post, the first 2 in particular were a real disappointment. He tried to guess the first and blamed the defenders for the 2nd but his starting position just seemed to be all wrong. Obviously beaten by a better team, maybe the greatest team ever and were outplayed but still hurts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

VDS was a solid, reliable goalie, Schmeichel is an all time great.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I guess Neymar or Ronaldo said yes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Cotts72 wrote: »

Max Kruse? Jaysus it a bit early for them to be scraping the bottom of the rumour barrel isn't it? Definitely not a Jose type player. More interested in his social life and playing high stakes poker than playing football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Who do you class as all time greats? And what do you mean by "old method". Players will change with the times and the laws of the games now are much different to back in the era. At this point in time DDG & Neuer are the 2 best and Buffon is probably still not a million miles away despite his age. That is all that can be really judged.

I know what you mean in terms of the game changing and goalkeepers changing with it, but I think the overall standard and quality of goalkeeping has dropped across the board.

Noticeable traits and skills leaving the game are keepers commanding their box and catching balls and anticipating strikers breaking through, and claiming the ball at their feet.

There is an argument for the change in ball, but I think that is just an excuse to be honest, and mostly bollox.

So of course a player can only be judged in their era, and these two guys are incredible keepers. I just don't think I'd rate either as I did the likes of Schmeichael (my idol) or Kahn

De Gea actually struggles to get widespread praise with his style from a lot of former keepers. Remember Neville Southall was really critical. And 15 years ago it was valid critism, keepers who used their feet extensively essentially weren't positioning themselves properly.

I think De Gea is just very unorthodox. But it works. And I do rate him currently world class, before anyone takes a spin that I'm talking **** about Dave The Save :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Max Kruse? Jaysus it a bit early for them to be scraping the bottom of the rumour barrel isn't it? Definitely not a Jose type player. More interested in his social life and playing high stakes poker than playing football.

While he had a decent season, he has been horribly inconsistent if not disappointing for years, and I doubt would figure anywhere near our transfer plans this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Telegraph says "With Manchester United understood to have ended their interest in Antoine Griezmann in favour of targeting an out-and-out number nine, there are suggestions Jose Mourinho could be plotting an audacious move to bring Ronaldo back to Old Trafford."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/01/cristiano-ronaldo-admits-misses-manchester-united-premier-league/

RobertKK wrote: »
    The Telegraph says "With Manchester United understood to have ended their interest in Antoine Griezmann in favour of targeting an out-and-out number nine, there are suggestions Jose Mourinho could be plotting an audacious move to bring Ronaldo back to Old Trafford."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/01/cristiano-ronaldo-admits-misses-manchester-united-premier-league/

Yeah! Summer is officially here :P

I'm actually bored of it already ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What about Lacazette? Atletico had their ban upheld so he might be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

keane2097 wrote: »
    VDS was a solid, reliable goalie, Schmeichel is an all time great.

Yeah I'd agree. VDS was very very reliable alright, rarely made mistakes but Schmeichel was an absolute beast of a keeper. He took keeping to a new level imo.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I know what you mean in terms of the game changing and goalkeepers changing with it, but I think the overall standard and quality of goalkeeping has dropped across the board.

Noticeable traits and skills leaving the game are keepers commanding their box and catching balls and anticipating strikers breaking through, and claiming the ball at their feet.

There is an argument for the change in ball, but I think that is just an excuse to be honest, and mostly bollox.

So of course a player can only be judged in their era, and these two guys are incredible keepers. I just don't think I'd rate either as I did the likes of Schmeichael (my idol) or Kahn

De Gea actually struggles to get widespread praise with his style from a lot of former keepers. Remember Neville Southall was really critical. And 15 years ago it was valid critism, keepers who used their feet extensively essentially weren't positioning themselves properly.

I think De Gea is just very unorthodox. But it works. And I do rate him currently world class, before anyone takes a spin that I'm talking **** about Dave The Save :D

Yeah I agree that the standard of keeping has dropped over the last few years. The amount of keepers that have little or no command of their box is shocking tbh. I do have sympathy with them with regards to shot stopping and nearly always punching or parrying the ball instread of trying to hold it, with the "new" ball but the amount of crosses or balls into the box that are punched(when they do bother to come for the ball)instead of held is a joke.
    Also Peps seeming insistence on prioritising a keeper that is good with his feet over a good keeper is really laughable.

De Gea is a great keeper of this era and pulls off saves at times that he has no right to but the sight of a ball coming into his six yard line or nearer and he's rotted to his line drives me bonkers.

Still think it would be a huge loss if he did leave. A bigger loss than many seem to be anticipating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Could be just me but I'd have more faith in the keeper transferring his ability than some of those strikers, that being said we have had some pretty poor keeping in the last 25 years when the keeper wasn't Schmeichel, VDS or DDG, which backs up ericzeking point about the mental side of the game.

I'd still be more confident in one of the keepers listed to come in and replace DDG than the strikers listed (outside of Lukaku, Griezmann & Kane) being able to replace Ibra's production.

I doubt it's just you, that seems to be the most common view on these things. But it's one I just don't share. I don't see the evidence to back that view up. And I see evidence to the contrary all the time, because it is more common to see big clubs with first choice goalkeepers who aren't good enough than with first choice strikers who aren't.

in PL era only Barthez and Hart have been average keeper for PL winning teams.

Barthez though was very good the season we won the league though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

J. Marston wrote: »
    What about Lacazette? Atletico had their ban upheld so he might be an option.

Yeah, United could mind him for a year while Atleti have their regiatration ban. If he ends up great tell them to feck off :p

• Advertisement

• in PL era only Barthez and Hart have been average keeper for PL winning teams.

I will never forget how annoyed I was with his x2 howlers against Arsenal.
    Henry gifted two goals

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yep, you almost always need a top quality keeper if you want to win the league. Same as with strikers. But the market doesn't seem to think that way at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Henry gifted two goals

Threw a beermat at a barman in pure anger when that happened. Stupid thing to do I know but cant change it now! Young and ​stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Barty was a top class keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Henry gifted two goals

I remember that well Mick.
    Now leave Saint Bart alone :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Lads I'm quite happy we walk away from Griezmann if the Club don't want to trigger the release fee. At some stage we have to show we are not prepared to meet every release fee for every player as it sets a precedent we can't afford. We'll be breaking transfer records every year if we keep showing how stupid we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Schmeichel with leicester?

GSPfan wrote: »
    Lads I'm quite happy we walk away from Griezmann if the Club don't want to trigger the release fee. At some stage we have to show we are not prepared to meet every release fee for every player as it sets a precedent we can't afford. We'll be breaking transfer records every year if we keep showing how stupid we are.

Screw that, i say we buy ronaldo for 1 billion. Really make a statement :)

GSPfan wrote: »

Is there any talk of that being the reason?

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Schmeichel with leicester?

Think he is a very solid keeper myself. Some of the Top m6 teams have worse in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

adox wrote: »
    Is there any talk of that being the reason?

No, but I hope that is the reason if we don't sign him. I think it's a much better message to put out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

DM_7 wrote: »
    Lukaku and Perisic instead of Ibra and Griezemann?

Would prefer Cavani and Sanchez. Surprised we are nit being linked to Cavani considering he is a Jose type CF and with PSG being linked with Aubameyang.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

IMO we needed Greizmann to improve our attacking play - movement, creativity, interplay etc. Replacing Ibrahimovic with a traditional number 9 and not getting Griezmann (or similar) to help alter the attacking play will not help United to improve to the required level, imo.

I'd be happier with Martial, Rashford, Griezmann leading the line next season than Rashford, Lukaku, Mata - for example. I'd fear a similar style of attack which just didn't prove good enough - particularly at the end of the season imo.

Would loved to have seen a front 3 of Rashford, Grizeman and Martial but couldn't see Jose doing that. Think he would have to change his style of play to accommodate them hence why I see him going for a robust centre forward.
    Dont think Lukaku is the answer either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

• Advertisement

As I said, take solace in the facts this won't be a long drawn out saga. It's over with and we aren't a week gone from the end of the season.

Star linking us to Lacazette who obviously can't sign as a Griezmann replacement now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What does the tweet say in English from AG?

As I said, take solace in the facts this won't be a long drawn out saga. It's over with and we aren't a week gone from the end of the season.

Star linking us to Lacazette who obviously can't sign as a Griezmann replacement now.

Lacazette no thanks. Dont think he is good enough for us

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Really wanted Griezmann :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What does the tweet say in English from AG?

Now more than ever

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement