Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Zlatan giving us all an update and addressing the retirement rumours. Can't help but read it in his Godly voice :p

https://instagram.com/p/BTPmFBWgkDG/

Like Arnold Scharwzenegger in The Terminator, he'll be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Imagine what we would be like with a settled defence, a regular left back and a proper defensive midfielder protecting them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

zerks wrote: »
    Games in which teams have conceded 2 or more goals against the bottom 13.

Liverpool 10
    Arsenal 4
    City 1
    United 0

Does that mean we win the alternative league?

Its apparently quite something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Veiny ass legs on that mofo

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

2 penalties, 1 from corner, 1 own goal, 1 Gestede goal. Fantastic record.

I missed the game live, but managed to keep away from the score and have just finished watching the full match there now.

Nice win, and great to see Martial back to being a true asset for the team. He must maintain this level.

Eric Bailly could be the club's next great CB after Rio and Vidic. His reading of the game is at such a high level, never mind his physical attributes which are scary.

Rashford impressed with his substitute appearance. I'd like to see he and Martial get the nod for Thursday night.

Nice win, and the cherry on top was when I then went to check and see what other games were played on Sunday - So one rival dropped another bonkers 3 points, and another got dragged to extra time and dumped out of the cup by f*cking Arsenal, 4 days ahead of the derby. I'd say I missed some craic in the relevant threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Liverpool result yesterday just makes season little more frustrating. They are doing their best to bottle, but the amount of games we should have won and blown will cost us.

Even if we had got 6 points from Everton and WBA a few weeks back (got 2) I'd make us favourites, but just few too many dropped points.

And those injures are just ridiculous. No luck with injuries for past 4 years, Fergie must of had magic sponge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The Liverpool result yesterday just makes season little more frustrating. They are doing their best to bottle, but the amount of games we should have won and blown will cost us.

Even if we had got 6 points from Everton and WBA a few weeks back (got 2) I'd make us favourites, but just few too many dropped points.

And those injures are just ridiculous. No luck with injuries for past 4 years, Fergie must of had magic sponge.

If we could somehow beat City on Thursday I think we can do it - but beating City on Thursday is going to be a big ask.

If we could somehow beat City on Thursday I think we can do it - but beating City on Thursday is going to be a big ask.

Ya its not impossible, but like you say big ask. A draw is not really much good and that's problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

No reason why we can't beat City, we're the ones with all the momentum and their morale will be very low after losing their only chance at silverware this season.

Certainly isn't a fixture that will scare Jose whatsoever, these kind of games are what he lives for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Now is the definite chance to beat them, Aguero, Silva and Fernandinho all to be assessed before Thursday with the first two looking really unlikely.

I think we have more than enough to win the game especially with the momentum we are carrying into it

thelad95 wrote: »
    No reason why we can't beat City, we're the ones with all the momentum and their morale will be very low after losing their only chance at silverware this season.

Certainly isn't a fixture that will scare Jose whatsoever, these kind of games are what he lives for.
    Yep Jose loves these types of games. I remember his Chelsea team beat them 1-0 at their ground 2 or 3 years ago in typical Jose style.

The extra 30 min they played might just help us little too, but I just think we have few too many injuries to kick on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ya its not impossible, but like you say big ask. A draw is not really much good and that's problem.

I would accept a draw big time if I was offered it now. If we beat city all we have to do is match or better there results or pools results until end of season if we draw to them we have to match pools results pretty much if we win our game in hand against southampton.

Gonna be hard but we have to look at pool getting nine points from 12 as a target so if we get 12 from 18 we will be level with them and goal difference decided it basically we will be very berry close if we can go threw the next 6 league games with 2 defeats and 4 wins or 3 wins and 3 draws.

thelad95 wrote: »

Missing: Rojo, Maybe Smalling, Maybe Jones, Mata, Ibrahimovic - Pogba and Herrera seemed to be injured/stuggling at the end of the game yesterday.

We are going to have a depleted squad - missing at least three important players.

I wonder if Jose could look to the 442/532 formation he played vs Chelsea - though if we don't have either Jones or Smalling back then it would be a struggle to pick the back line. Fosu-Mensah and Tuanzebe simply haven't been given the minutes to make playing them on Thursday a realistic prospect. Would he even consider a back 3 of Blind, Bailly and Darmian - with Valencia and Young at wing backs.

Will also be interesting to see what he does up front. I imagine Rashford will come back in, but will it be for Rooney or Martial. Personally I would take Rooney out and hope Martial continues to play competently - the pace of himself and Rashford (or Lingard and Rashford as vs Chelsea) could be key to us getting any sort of result.

• The Liverpool result yesterday just makes season little more frustrating. They are doing their best to bottle, but the amount of games we should have won and blown will cost us.

I'm still with you but my tune might change if result goes our way Thursday

Thing is we could beat City, but we then have play Arsenal away and Spurs away.

Its not just City.

5 points from those 3 would be considered excellent return, but we probably need 7.

Thats huge ask.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm still with you but my tune might change if result goes our way Thursday

I could change too especially if its good performance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

I can see us getting a spanking on Thursday with so many injuries if we try and play against City.

I think we will do a "Donald Trump" and build a wall for 90min

Thing is we could beat City, but we then have play Arsenal away and Spurs away.

Its not just City.

5 points from those 3 would be considered excellent return, but we probably need 7.

Thats huge ask.

If we beat city we can nearly afford to loose against spurs and arsenal and win our other games unless Liverpool and city win all if there games remaining I haven't studied all the maths but a city win wouod be unbelievably massive.

All I want is to be in with a shout of top four on final day of season give us a final day to get excited about or else have us in third and 3 points ahead of pool and city :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I can see us getting a spanking on Thursday with so many injuries if we try and play against City.

We're, what? 23 games in the league without losing?

I don't think we'll get spanked. Jose has the team working hard enough to avoid it. I just think we'll be fighting for a tough draw, and could see City knick the win. It won't be a massacre, but I wouldn't be at all optimistic either.

• Still no word on Pogba :/

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Still no word on Pogba :/

no news is good news... no news is good news... no news is good news....

The game was only played yesterday, next match is Thursday, I wouldn't be surprised if there is no update on him (or Herrera) until Wednesday and maybe even not then. United gain little from announcing anything to do with Pogba's fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

A quote from Mata's blog this morning:

"truth is I’m feeling much better now and I hope to be back with the team soon, to try to help in the last spell of the season. "

• Advertisement

A quote from Mata's blog this morning:

"truth is I’m feeling much better now and I hope to be back with the team soon, to try to help in the last spell of the season. "

kws1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't know why some people are being on the negative side when it comes to Thursday.
    City are not a team to fear, their defence is not great and they will be missing players too.
    We will also be playing at the emptyhad and the pressure will be on the home side to perform, with United literally breathing down their necks.

In the form table United are in 2nd place over the last 6 games.

1. Spurs 18/18
    2. United 14/18
    5. Chelsea 12/18
    6. Everton 11/18
    7. Liverpool 11/18
    9. City 9/18
    13. Arsenal 7/18.

United have the best away form.

I am hopeful for Thursday of a positive result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

A draw on Thursday would be a fine result. There is no way we "need" to win the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The game on Thursday is anyone's call, I cant call a winner.

United have momentum, yet we have a team playing more games and more injury hit as a result.

City are very good though, but coming off a loss on Sunday.

Im hopefully optimistic of grinding out a result but it will be a difficult. A win here would be huge and give us a great edge in the other tough away games (Arsenal Spurs)

Is the Swansea game on Sunday televised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

De Laet, Carrick, Fletcher, Evra. We fielded that back four vs Fulham away under Fergie a few years ago.

I remember Carrick playing at CB for quite a few spells. It's not just a recent thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

adox wrote: »
    A draw on Thursday would be a fine result. There is no way we "need" to win the game.

I think we do, certainly in terms of top four. In terms of momentum a win on Thursday would be seismic following on from recent results. Win, and despite our earlier screw-ups we will have set ourselves up for a final push with a genuine chance of making it. Drop more points and we are back on our heels again and nobody will really believe we can do it.

I couldn't call it though, there is no favourite for that match, it will all depend on who actually performs on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

beakerjoe wrote: »

Is the Swansea game on Sunday televised?

Game is on BT sport at 12.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Thursday is a huge game for both sides. If both turn up anything could happen. The problem with the first City game was United started slow.

I am confident that United will be up for it and ready for the game. I don't expect they will make the mistakes from City OT or Chelsea away games early in the season.

Since then the Arsenal game, Liverpool games, Spurs Home, Chelsea home, City in the cup even Chelsea in the cup (only loss) saw United ready with a good game plan.

Amazing to see United only lose 3 league games from 32 and be in 5th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

DM_7 wrote: »
    Thursday is a huge game for both sides. If both turn up anything could happen. The problem with the first City game was United started slow.

I am confident that United will be up for it and ready for the game. I don't expect they will make the mistakes from City OT or Chelsea away games early in the season.

Since then the Arsenal game, Liverpool games, Spurs Home, Chelsea home, City in the cup even Chelsea in the cup (only loss) saw United ready with a good game plan.

Amazing to see United only lose 3 league games from 32 and be in 5th.

That's one word for it :P

Anyone want to hazard a guess at our front 3 for Thursday? Even though Martial had a belter yesterday I can still see Jose starting Lingard for his work rate. I'd guess at Jesse, Rashers + Mkhi.

That's one word for it :P

Anyone want to hazard a guess at our front 3 for Thursday? Even though Martial had a belter yesterday I can still see Jose starting Lingard for his work rate. I'd guess at Jesse, Rashers + Mkhi.

Wonder would he try replicate the tactics against Chelsea and have ander do a job on de bryune? The front two line-up wouod be better against city it give us an extra man deeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

adox wrote: »

Draw is a perfectly acceptable result there, however I'd sooner treat City as a must win, and leave the Arsenal game between the semi finals as less important

paulbok wrote: »
    Draw is a perfectly acceptable result there, however I'd sooner treat City as a must win, and leave the Arsenal game between the semi finals as less important

United have a tough run in, games against Spurs Arsenal away and a home game against an in form Palace and a Swansea side battling for survival. All tricky games, as is City and we should be doing our best to win in all these games, we cant afford to drop points if we want 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I do laugh when I hear Liverpool fans whinging about how much money Utd spend. Conveniently ignoring the fact that only a handful of clubs on the planet can compete with the money they spend themselves. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Oh **** sake Korat, they will come in with their net spend tables now :D

Though in fairness, their owners/board seem to not allow big spends without selling players to supplement it. Didn't Klopp also say that he wouldn't spend loads of money on one player? You have to pay the going rate these days to get the best players

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I really think City are there for the taking. They're not as good a side as they were when we played earlier in the season and are quite poor defensively. There's going to be space for the likes of Rashford, Martial , Lingard and Mkhitaryan to exploit. Stones and Bravo are both due another howler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

i hope pogba doesnt make it for thursday night, he was very good at the weekend but i think he is close to another injury that could rule him out for the rest of the season. i would try keep him fresh for Celta Vigo game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

with that in mind i would go for

de gea

valencia
    bailly
    blind
    shaw

fellaini
    carrick
    herrera

mkhitarayan

rashford
    martial

Im calling a Rooney goal .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

astradave wrote: »
    Oh **** sake Korat, they will come in with their net spend tables now :D

Though in fairness, their owners/board seem to not allow big spends without selling players to supplement it. Didn't Klopp also say that he wouldn't spend loads of money on one player? You have to pay the going rate these days to get the best players

If you spend big on a lot of duds eventually the books have to be balanced. They spent huge money in the '90s trying to buy success, it didn't pay off and just cost the owners a lot of money. It's understandable that the current owners don't want to copy that model.

Could happen Utd too if we're not winning major trophies (league or CL) again soon. The money we've spent of shyte players in the last few years is unsustainable no matter how many noodle sponsors we have. I think we've the right man for the job in Jose though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Korat wrote: »
    If you spend big on a lot of duds eventually the books have to be balanced. They spent huge money in the '90s trying to buy success, it didn't pay off and just cost the owners a lot of money. It's understandable that the current owners don't want to copy that model.

Could happen Utd too if we're not winning major trophies (league or CL) again soon. The money we've spent of shyte players in the last few years is unsustainable no matter how many noodle sponsors we have. I think we've the right man for the job in Jose though.

Exactly, excluding the last couple of years Liverpool had actually spent more than us on players but they just bought with a scatter gun approach buying loads of crap instead of paying more for individual players of a higher quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Or we'll grab them by the pussy for 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

J. Marston wrote: »
    Or we'll grab them by the pussy for 90 minutes.

Its going to be the best 90 minutes, the best, believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We play midday on Sunday after the derby on Thursday night. Swansea in the bottom 3 with only 4 games left doesn't help the situation either. It's going to be tough and God knows what more knocks/injuries we're going to pick up

415523.png

Mourinho making comments again about rushing Jones or Smalling back early. Not sure what to make of that tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Tbh normally I'd complain about the Swansea game being on first but it bring early gives us an extra few hours rest before the Vigo game which is more important right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I really don't think any Utd fan should be getting into a discussion with other clubs about who has done better in transfers.

Utd, especially but not limited to recently, have a terrible record. A combination of scatter gun approach with high values. We have let players so for next to nothing that turn out to be better than what we had or have. SAF didn't really have a great knack in the TF market. He turned up the odd gem of course but had quite a few expensive duds

IMO, Jose could avoid spending any money in the summer, save if someone leaves, and I would expect a PL title challenge and CL Semis next year. The team is not the best, clearly, but it has more than enough to deal with all but the very best teams out there if they each play to their abilities.

DDG/Romero
    Shaw, Bailly, Rojo, Darmian
    Herrera, Pogba, Blind/Fellaini
    Micky, Rashford, Martial

That, or variations on it, should be more than enough to compete.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement