Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have no idea if we are chasing Bale or not, but I can see Madrid letting him leave...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I have no idea if we are chasing Bale or not, but I can see Madrid letting him leave...

Yeah I think it's time for Florentino to buy a new Plaything, hopefully not DeGea, probably Hazard

5 Portuguese papers are claiming that Lindelof is done.. the fee is apparently €30m + €5m addons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I think Rodriguez is the main one he's letting go this year. If we could sneak Varane I'd be delighted but doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

astradave wrote: »
    5 Portuguese papers are claiming that Lindelof is done.. the fee is apparently €30m + €5m addons

That sounds like an ok fee - in the context of the £25m being talked about for Keane for example, and the fact that nobody seems to go for less than €20m these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

That sounds like an ok fee - in the context of the £25m being talked about for Keane for example, and the fact that nobody seems to go for less than €20m these days.

Arsenal bought henry for 6.8m :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

SKY running with Varane and Morata as targets. No way we get those without losing De Gea, which I presume Jose knows well. Others have Morata agreeing terms with Milan tho.

Btw how does Toure get a contract extension, his attitude the last two years stank to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Some people think the squad is fine but I said this during the season, I would happily see 7/8 of that first team replaced and I think you will see it happen over the next few windows.

There are very few positions in our first team that couldn't be improved upon and that need to be improved upon if we want to win leagues and CL's.
    We need at least one striker and to my mind we need two, we need a consistent threat from both wings, left and right, we need a holding midfielder and we need further depth in midfield as a whole, we need a left back, we can improve at right back, we can improve in central defence, and we all know the score with the keeper.

We could add one of two players and make do, but why should we make do? If there is such clear and obvious scope for improvement in the quality of our players then that should be our aim.
    7or 8 first team players required???? Jasus thats some over exageration.
    First team players at the club now IMO
    De Gea
    Valencia
    Bailey
    Herrera
    Pogba
    Rashford
    Martial.
    I would add Shaw to that as well if he and Jose could sort out their differences.
    We need a first team centre half, defensive middle of the park player and Grizeman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

SKY running with Varane and Morata as targets. No way we get those without losing De Gea, which I presume Jose knows well. Others have Morata agreeing terms with Milan tho.

Btw how does Toure get a contract extension, his attitude the last two years stank to hell.

Because they're a club of mercenaries!:rolleyes:

Cannot see the value in Peresic at 45m when Sanchez could be gotten for a little more and proven in the P.L

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    7or 8 first team players required???? Jasus thats some over exageration.
    First team players at the club now IMO
    De Gea
    Valencia
    Bailey
    Herrera
    Pogba
    Rashford
    Martial.
    I would add Shaw to that as well if he and Jose could sort out their differences.
    We need a first team centre half, defensive middle of the park player and Grizeman

Like many you completely overrate two kids who are nowhere near yet good enough or consistent enough for the level I am talking about, and Valencia is a limited player who negates most of our attacking threat on that side and is a player we could most definitely improve upon.

So, De Gea, Baily, Herrera, Pogba. Thats four. What's eleven minus four?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I just do right!

End of!

Are you Miguel Delaney?

https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/870741903330996224

Sanchez could be gotten for a little more and proven in the P.L

When I hear constant talk of 100m+ fees, I do wonder if we should be seriously considering testing Arsenals resolve for Sanchez, with his contract situation I think its feasible we could get a really good player for half the price of a Harry Kane.

Would Arsenal really turn down ?60/70 million? When he will probably be leaving regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Cannot see the value in Peresic at 45m when Sanchez could be gotten for a little more and proven in the P.L

There's no way we would get Sanchez for a little more than 45m. If Arsenal were to put a price tag on him i'd say it would be around the 70-80m mark. He's definitely the type of player that can help us mount a title challenge next season, but Arsenal would be bonkers to sell him to us this summer. Especially after what happened with Van Persie :pac:

Like many you completely overrate two kids who are nowhere near yet good enough or consistent enough for the level I am talking about, and Valencia is a limited player who negates most of our attacking threat on that side and is a player we could most definitely improve upon.

Valencia not good enough aah here. Not even worth debating if you think he is a limited player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

When I hear constant talk of 100m+ fees, I do wonder if we should be seriously considering testing Arsenals resolve for Sanchez, with his contract situation I think its feasible we could get a really good player for half the price of a Harry Kane.

Would Arsenal really turn down ?60/70 million? When he will probably be leaving regardless?

I don't believe we haven't put in an offer. I'd be more of the belief we probably have and were quickly rejected, both by club (who will sell for less to a team abroad) and by player (who seems to want to join Bayern). I'd love him at United, but I have a feeling after having to deal with Arsenal for a few years, he'll take the chance to join an elite team who will promise trophies over a rebuilding job like us :/

Agree with you on this. 60m would be hard for Arsenal to turn down with only a year left on his contract

Is sanchez not done and dusted to bayern? Chile had him listed last week on their squad announcement as a bayern munich player

bangkok wrote: »
    Is sanchez not done and dusted to bayern? Chile had him listed last week on their squad announcement as a bayern munich player

https://twitter.com/beinsports/status/870741462446637056

By bringing in 7 or 8 first team players the likes of Martial and Rashford will never get the chance to progress. We need to give them consistent game time for them to reach there potential which is world class IMO.
    I

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/AntoGriezmann/status/870755189011214336

Griezmann saying "call me from Manchester, see you next season".

Wouldnt believe a word that comes out of his mouth to be honest

Valencia not good enough aah here. Not even worth debating if you think he is a limited player.

Valencia is a limited player. Fair play to him for transitioning to that position but if you don't think we can improve there then we have different expectations for a top club.
    By bringing in 7 or 8 first team players the likes of Martial and Rashford will never get the chance to progress. We need to give them consistent game time for them to reach there potential which is world class IMO.

Rashford and Martial should be options for us, not first choice. They will get plenty of game time and will develop just fine as squad players that don't have to carry the burden of making sure Manchester United mount a title challenge next season.

A top class striker and a top class winger won't stop their development whatsoever, and in fact may even help it.

Giggsy stating on Sky the may he thinks we are still going after Griezmann

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Sanchez is a non-runner, no point in even wasting our time. Arsenal wont sell to us and he's Bayern bound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Sid Lowe on football​ weekly was saying he believes the transfer ban probably makes it more likely that he'll sign for united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Sid Lowe on football​ weekly was saying he believes the transfer ban probably makes it more likely that he'll sign for united.

I see his point, but I just can't see Atleti allowing it without being able to replace him. They've been looking towards this year for a long time, first season in the new stadium. Even allowed Simeone to cut back his contract, in exchange for guaranteeing he'd stay this year. They clearly feel like they have a lot riding on hitting the ground running after the move.

Valencia is a limited player. Fair play to him for transitioning to that position but if you don't think we can improve there then we have different expectations for a top club.

Rashford and Martial should be options for us, not first choice. They will get plenty of game time and will develop just fine as squad players that don't have to carry the burden of making sure Manchester United mount a title challenge next season.

A top class striker and a top class winger won't stop their development whatsoever, and in fact may even help it.
    So what players would you be happy with Jose signing??

Valencia is class. Players player of the year this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

To be fair on valencia, the guy has played brillantly all season at RB, plays his heart out every game and gives it his all. I'd've more concern on why the LB position hasnt been disscussed more. Darmian had a few solid weeks but doesnt do it enough, shaw hasn't worked out yet as he's injured or not match fit. I think we even had to play young there at some stage. The LB needs more looking at than valencias spot. Leave him there for next season as he's doing a solid job. I'd question darmian/shaw over valencia to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think it's time to face it that Martial isn't a centre forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

zerks wrote: »

Morata Bale and Varne and we let them have big Dave (only if he wants to go) Fair deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Morata Bale and Varne and we let them have big Dave (only if he wants to go) Fair deal

I reckon Morata is Milan bound and hes going to build the defence around Varane. Navas,Rodriguez and Bale are about the only 3 individuals I could see Madrid offering in any deals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Harrop got United goal of the month even tho he didn't have much to compete with he deserved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I remember a very similar type of player at 20 years of age in the Champion's league with Monaco. He moved on at the end of the season to Juventus,who knocked them of the UCL in the semi-finals, and things didn't work out there for him as they played him on the wing. We all know what happened next.

• Advertisement

AidoEirE wrote: »
    To be fair on valencia, the guy has played brillantly all season at RB, plays his heart out every game and gives it his all. I'd've more concern on why the LB position hasnt been disscussed more. Darmian had a few solid weeks but doesnt do it enough, shaw hasn't worked out yet as he's injured or not match fit. I think we even had to play young there at some stage. The RB needs more looking at than valencias spot. Leave him there for next season as he's doing a solid job. I'd question darmian/shaw over valencia to be honest.

LB is a more urgent need, but the original point was about what positions we could improve in, and the answer includes both full back spots.

RB won't be deemed a priority though, which is understandable. LB most definitely needs to be addressed, we can't spend another season with the current situation there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

jayo26 wrote: »
    Harrop got United goal of the month even tho he didn't have much to compete with he deserved it.

Nope. Mkhitaryan won it for his EL final goal. http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Features/2017/Jun/Video-Henrikh-Mkhitaryan-wins-Manchester-United-Goal-of-the-Month-award-for-May-2017.aspx

Martial could maintain this level of performance for the next ten years and there would still be people calling him a world class talent and making excuses for him. Many feel that if only all the managers would play him as the main striker and build the team around him then he would be unstoppable.

I'm reminded of the old saying, "Get a reputation as an early riser and you can sleep till noon". Thats what I think when I watch Martial and then read people claiming that he is a special talent. He is a talent, there are moments here and there where he actually starts moving with the ball and looks like something dangerous, but his level of performances do not match the faith many fans have in him.

I hope he buckles down, takes his finger out of arse and maybe starts showing why he was highly rated, but damn sure I wouldn't bet our season on it happening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lucas Hood wrote: »

The media will HATE that the annual United Summer Saga has been put to bed so quickly. Some will refuse to accept that and keep pushing it as a story, others will fall back on old faithfuls like Ronaldo and Bale....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

bangkok wrote: »
    Valencia is class. Players player of the year this season.

Valencia is a solid RB, but i can kind of see where Buckety is coming from. That said, I dont see many outstanding fullbacks around these days. He is definiteky up there in PL terms anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Will Sam Johnstone return or will he be sold or loaned out again,he did alright at Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Will Sam Johnstone return or will he be sold or loaned out again,he did alright at Villa.

I reckon he might come back as 3rd choice keeper and we might send Pereira to Benfica on loan as a sweetener for the Lindelof deal.. the media over there( linked above) are saying that they want him as their new no 1 but Jose has made glowing comments on him saying that he is the future Portuguese No1 and he will develop into one of the very best so can't see him letting him go completely.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Oh evening news said harrop got it ha sorry.

So MEN can't even get that right, imagine what they are like for transfers :D

Sorry for the multi post but Jayo slacking... Bailly instagram, hugs for Zlatan and Bailly, a slap for Shaw :pac:

"The crutch crew"

https://instagram.com/p/BU1ZqCUB_NX/

Valencia is a solid RB, but i can kind of see where Buckety is coming from. That said, I dont see many outstanding fullbacks around these days. He is definiteky up there in PL terms anyway

This is the reality - there are not many get-able, significant upgrades on Valencia around imo (especially at a reasonable price), and given Valencia's exceptional in attributes in terms of endurance, commitment to the team and a pretty good injury record (he is also not a card magnet so suspensions aren't a big issue), I think he is fine for another year at least, as other positions are far, far more in need of attention.

Sure, if we want to buy a cheapish good prospect and let them shadow Valencia for a year or two, fine but otherwise I would be happy to see Val on the teamsheet most weeks come the start of the season.

From what he has said Mourinho really rates Joel Pereira so I can see that throwing a spanner in the works. At least put in a buy back clause at a decent price if we do let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Pereira has overtaken Johnstone. No way we sell Pereira.

Replacing Valencia would be a luxury move not necessary at all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement