Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

https://twitter.com/TheAnalysisVids/status/775439569265254400

Lukaku would be an excellent replacement for Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It is his worst attribute. It's like he forgets that he is the size that he is and that his hold up play is supposed to be a big part of his game. He is such a weird player, because with his stats, everybody shoukd be after him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I see Juan Mata is on holiday in Iceland. He is such a cultured hipster :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think it's time to face it that Martial isn't a centre forward

What's happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I had to stop watching that I got so frustrated.

It is his worst attribute. It's like he forgets that he is the size that he is and that his hold up play is supposed to be a big part of his game. He is such a weird player, because with his stats, everybody shoukd be after him

It's the aspect that will hold him back and the reason I'm not a big fan of him, great goalscorer but his link up play is so poor and in big games that's the problem - the best defends will pocket him on that touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    I reckon he might come back as 3rd choice keeper and we might send Pereira to Benfica on loan as a sweetener for the Lindelof deal.. the media over there( linked above) are saying that they want him as their new no 1 but Jose has made glowing comments on him saying that he is the future Portuguese No1 and he will develop into one of the very best so can't see him letting him go completely.

I'd actually allow Pereira to join them permanently and insert a fixed buyback clause like Madrid did for morata that can be activated after a couple years it would be win win situation all round.

I think he is going to be a top class keeper he always looked good and all the reports are all positive.

Surely he wouldnt want to sit on the bench if he signed for us :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

You can make that compilation for any PL player, Costa's would look even mokre ridiculous.

Not sure compiling few misplaced passes or failed touches proves anything.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    You can make that compilation for any PL player, Costa's would look even mokre ridiculous.

Not sure compiling few misplaced passes or failed touches proves anything.

My opinion is it is not an isolated thing - it's been a problem with his game all along, and hasn't particularly improved as he has gotten older. My impression is it was a big reason Chelsea sold him in the first place;it's a part of his game that just isn't up to scratch.

His pace, strength and finishing are very good though, so in a formation and style that releases him and uses his pace to get beyond a defence he can look great. In a style that may require him to bate with defenders to maintain control of the ball and bring others into the game he would break it down regularly.

My opinion is it is not an isolated thing - it's been a problem with his game all along, and hasn't particularly improved as he has gotten older. My impression is it was a big reason Chelsea sold him in the first place;it's a part of his game that just isn't up to scratch.

His pace, strength and finishing are very good though, so in a formation and style that releases him and uses his pace to get beyond a defence he can look great. In a style that may require him to bate with defenders to maintain control of the ball and bring others into the game he would break it down regularly.

Couldn't disagree more. Lukaku in the team main job is score goals if he was sloppy on the ball a few times I'd accept that. I've a was attrocious this season for us more then a few times when in possession but no one talks about it because the guy scored nearly 30 goals.

Lukaku is the second best forward in the league and he is still a couple years from his peak and never suffers injuries or suspensions I'd break the bank for him all day long he might suffer from inconsistency like pogba does but he will get that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pity Gerrard can't play tomorrow, watching SS5 and they are showing famous premier league moments - the Liverpool/Chelsea game.
    Jose was so happy that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lukaku reminds me of Hernandez in one small way, this narrative that he is crap on the ball and won't be good enough in the build up. It wasn't true for Chico and it probably isn't true for Lukaku either.

Lukaku reminds me of Hernandez in one small way, this narrative that he is crap on the ball and won't be good enough in the build up. It wasn't true for Chico and it probably isn't true for Lukaku either.

I was looking at a clip of Tony Yaboah earlier it's remarkable how alike he and lukaku are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

so if pool sack owen as an official of the club can we hire him for the wind up?? :D

• Advertisement

so if pool sack owen as an official of the club can we hire him for the wind up?? :D

Couldn't sack him over that it would be terrible PR for them and surely unfair dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Have you seen Diego Costa's first touch? IIRC he has more unsuccessful touches than any player. His first touch makes Rooney's and Lukaku's look like Messi's first touch.

I agree that his first touch isn't spot on everytime but if you compile then any player will look as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

jayo26 wrote: »
    Couldn't sack him over that it would be terrible PR for them and surely unfair dismissal.
    well he is one of "us" :)

well he is one of "us" :)

He will always be a United favourite after that goal and passion. Red devil for life he is ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd no more take that Lukaku video seriously than I would one of those "skills and goals" one. As said, every player in the league could have one of those done up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Buddy of mine is Chelsea fan and he swears they are getting Lukaku. God only knows.

One thing is say in Lukaku's favour is his number of goals in a fairly average Everton team is impressive.

He will always be a United favourite after that goal and passion. Red devil for life he is ;)

Yep, great f*cking moment that was. Owen did really well with the finish, but Giggs played a sublime pass through to him for the assist.

Plus, we're always good for at least 2 meltdown episodes per year on Twitter courtesy of fans of his first club whenever Owen says something positive about United. Last August, Owen tweeted "It looked good on paper and it looks good on grass too. Pogba class. The Premier League title is heading to the North West this season." The petitions for removal as LFC club ambassador commenced immediately. There was another similar petition launched last week on change.org after Owen referred to United as 'We' during the Europa final.

I am amused by it all, but can't say that I blame them for the discontent. Michael Owen's gotta eat, but maybe he's got his finger in one too many pies. I can see how him being LFC's first official international ambassador (whatever that means), a former PL winner with Manchester United, plus an impartial commentator/pundit would be a difficult mix to get right, almost impossible.

Anyway, it was good to have him while he was at United. Like Henrik Larsson, Owen is a player that sometimes I almost forget played for United for a spell.

They weren't the best playing years of his career, but he still made a good contribution...

and was deserving of his rewards...

OTFloeM.jpg?1

2qf8OtL.jpg?1

Buddy of mine is Chelsea fan and he swears they are getting Lukaku. God only knows.

One thing is say in Lukaku's favour is his number of goals in a fairly average Everton team is impressive.

Hey this time last week any of your United buddies would say were getting griezmann ....... football anything can happen.

@stankratz I'll never forget his hatrick against Wolfsburg I remember thinking **** sake Michael Owen is back. For that few days after that game I was laughing at my 3 liverpool brothers haha Still peeling egg off my face but it was fun when it lasted.

That must be 8 year ago now I'm feeling old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

This is the reality - there are not many get-able, significant upgrades on Valencia around imo (especially at a reasonable price), and given Valencia's exceptional in attributes in terms of endurance, commitment to the team and a pretty good injury record (he is also not a card magnet so suspensions aren't a big issue), I think he is fine for another year at least, as other positions are far, far more in need of attention.

Sure, if we want to buy a cheapish good prospect and let them shadow Valencia for a year or two, fine but otherwise I would be happy to see Val on the teamsheet most weeks come the start of the season.

Yup your both dead on, leave him there for a season and have maybe mensah be an understudy instead of forkin out for a prospect. He's like a mini valencia with his build. Its all in ny head though so i might be called out on that.

Valencia does get a lot of stick but you cannot fault him on his commitment. With the all 'fake' injuries during games breaking it up on the slightest tap ( us as well as everyone else) i wont forget when he busted up his eye and it was swollen like a boxer had hit him. I forget the game but he got my full respect that day. Played for the badge

Hey this time last week any of your United buddies would say were getting griezmann ....... football anything can happen.

Hence the god only knows comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Unless your buddy has inside information from a source he personally knows then he has as much clue as us where players are going. Which is none by the way.

Chelsea is the best guess we all have at the moment.

Hence the god only knows comment

That bit of your comment didnt suit my agenda so I did a Bangkok on it and pretended I didn't see it ;)

@stankratz I'll never forget his hatrick against Wolfsburg I remember thinking **** sake Michael Owen is back. For that few days after that game I was laughing at my 3 liverpool brothers haha Still peeling egg off my face but it was fun when it lasted.

That must be 8 year ago now I'm feeling old.

I was thinking myself "Sure that's only a few years ago" but it is almost 10 years. Sparky was in charge of City in that match where Owen scored, betrayals all over the place!

Yeah Owen's time at the club is better viewed in retrospect, like the highlight reel I posted above, but there still was a contribution. You might have ended up with some egg on your face, but at least your one-time hero didn't piss in your soup and ruin it for all days to come :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

GSPfan wrote: »
    Unless your buddy has inside information from a source he personally knows then he has as much clue as us where players are going. Which is none by the way.

I don't see Lukaku going to Chelsea if Costa's move to China has fallen through and he signs a new contract. IIRC, Lukaku was to be a Costa replacement, right? If Costa stays, do Chelsea need two very similar strikers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/the_manutd_blog/status/871031679212716034

Next week #MUFC will inform Januzaj that he has no future at the club. Lyon & Marseille are interested, would cost £10-15M. (Times)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah lads fcuk off. Michael Owen played for us like 5 years ago not a feckin decade ago. I'm far too young to be made feel bloody old!

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/the_manutd_blog/status/871031679212716034

Next week #MUFC will inform Januzaj that he has no future at the club. Lyon & Marseille are interested, would cost £10-15M. (Times)

Haha 10_15 million for him we will end up in front of fifa for fraud. Forgot we even still had him.

GSPfan wrote: »

Lads are ye fecking blind. I said god only knows, I didn't say he was right.

I might sign for Chelsea before Lukaku. ..

GOD ONLY KNOWS!!!!!! :)

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah lads fcuk off. Michael Owen played for us like 5 years ago not a feckin decade ago. I'm far too young to be made feel bloody old!

Every time I see your name I think if Johnson and Johnson shampoo hmmmm weird.

But yeh it was 09 season he scored that hatrick in champs league group stages.

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!! SKY SOURCES: JIMMYTWOTIMES TO SIGN FOR CHELSEA ON A FREE TRANSFER!!!!!!!

But yeh it was 09 season he scored that Patrick in champs league group stages.

Patrick? As in Paddy? As in Paddy Evra? I missed that. I know Nev gave Scholesy a peck alright but Owen and Paddy are news to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Haha 10_15 million for him we will end up in front of fifa for fraud. Forgot we even still had him.

José nomics,no giving away players any more.

zerks wrote: »
    José nomics,no giving away players any more.

If united get 5 million for him it be miracle. He probably only has about two year on the contract moyes gave him now?

• Advertisement

Patrick? As in Paddy? As in Paddy Evra? I missed that. I know Nev gave Scholesy a peck alright but Owen and Paddy are news to me.

Alas after mentioning Paddy I wanted to post his jolly "good luck Juve" post but that is beyond my capabilities. We should post Paddy vids daily at this point guys genuinely hilarious.

Alas after mentioning Paddy I wanted to post his jolly "good luck Juve" post but that is beyond my capabilities. We should post Paddy vids daily at this point guys genuinely hilarious.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BU1MOmfBEkE/

Seen as you left it blank ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

If united get 5 million for him it be miracle. He probably only has about two year on the contract moyes gave him now?

Ah here your highly downplaying his value.

Still a young enough to reverse his trajectory, he really ****ed up moving to Dortmund.

beno619 wrote: »
    Ah here your highly downplaying his value.

Still a young enough to reverse his trajectory, he really ****ed up moving to Dortmund.

Ahh here he has done nothing in 3 years since signing a contract. We sold better players for not much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

But yeh it was 09 season he scored that hatrick in champs league group stages.

All that I ever see is...

gallery_uktv-paterson-joseph-johnson-peep-show.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

James not in the Madrid squad, are we still meant to be after him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

ShaneU wrote: »

Didn't see the lineups and subs but saw him in the tunnel so presumed he was on the bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

ShaneU wrote: »

Surely stuff like that drops his value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

More of that Navas, show Florentino he dosen't need a new keeper :D

James is more like Griezmann. If we could get Mandzukic I'd be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Great finish

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement