Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

zerks wrote: »
    Di Marzio claiming Jose is in daily contact with Morata but no official bid made yet.

Daily contact? Lol

Hey morata what ya have for breakfast?

Where ya going on holidays?

Hows the missus?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

bangkok wrote: »
    Daily contact? Lol

Hey morata what ya have for breakfast?

Where ya going on holidays?

Hows the missus?

Surely they'd be on first name terms at that rate :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I barely have daily contact with my wife. And we live together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

GSPfan wrote: »
    I barely have daily contact with my wife. And we live together.

He keeps sending this.

"Oh Manchester is wonderful, oh Manchester is wonderful, it's full of t*ts,fa**y and United, oh Manchester is wonderful".

He'll wear him down soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The relevant quotes.mreads more like Chelsea than us tbh.

nmwqf94afz1z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't see that anything he says could be attributed to being chelsea, or united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'd expect Jose is involved in all the transfers no matter what he has said in the press.
    It's easier to brush it off and say he has left it all to Ed,saves him somewhat from the constant questioning if he nips it in the bud straightaway.

I think this is reasonable to assume - I mean I hardly imagine that the first Jose hears of who we have signed is Sky Sports "Breaking News" or Twitter. The majority of negotiation is left to Ed, but I am sure Woodward is briefing him if players are being ruled out etc. to keep Jose up to date and seek feedback/advice.

Whatever about involvement while he is on holidays - i can imagine he would get a lot more involved if there is no significant movement by the time he is back in the office for pre-season. You would have to think he would want some business done before they fly out to America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Interesting that the Keane rumours have cooled now - maybe he was a back-up plan if Lindelof didn't work out and that's looking more promising now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

im not worried about our transfers this summer. We managed to get in very good players this time last year without any champions league football. We are now a more attractive prospect. We will pay top coin for players and we definitely don't scimp on wages. We have one of the worlds best managers, have an incredible fan base, are the richest club in the world and have an amazing stadium.

We won't have a problem getting in some top quality players.

That being said, if we haven't signed someone before Friday I will lose my rational mind and hit the panic room button :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭mcgragger

He wont be joining United in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wonder how much the English factor is influencing our transfer decisions this summer, in terms of home grown quotas and all that ****e? I'm not seeing many links to UK players at the minute apart from Keane, who would be rather redundant considering he would just be replacing other young english players.

We have a lot of english lads need replacing but not many decent alternatives out there, I imagine that would be a very real factor in who we are targeting. In a perfect world Ed would just go after the players we want and submit multiple bids at the same time, but now he has to do it one by one because if he gets foreign targets A and B he then needs to change targets C and D to English options. It must slow things down.

I don't see that anything he says could be attributed to being chelsea, or united.

Says he wants a PL team with champions league. So that limits it to five. No links to City, Spurs or Pool, so you'd imagine it's us or Chelsea. The bit about winning the PL title, I'd attribute more to Chelsea, but maybe that's me being negative :P

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Lukaku teasing where he's gonna be playing next season, head says he'll join Chelsea, gut says he'll be in United red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wonder how much the English factor is influencing our transfer decisions this summer, in terms of home grown quotas and all that ****e? I'm not seeing many links to UK players at the minute apart from Keane, who would be rather redundant considering he would just be replacing other young english players.

We have a lot of english lads need replacing but not many decent alternatives out there, I imagine that would be a very real factor in who we are targeting. In a perfect world Ed would just go after the players we want and submit multiple bids at the same time, but now he has to do it one by one because if he gets foreign targets A and B he then needs to change targets C and D to English options. It must slow things down.

Its a rule that favours smaller selling clubs that produce young talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I don't think it should be an issue.

Carrick, Pogba, Rooney, Jones, Smalling, Shaw, Lingard, Young as our registered players.

Then we have players like Shaw, Rashford, Tuanzebe who were U21.

If we lose Rooney, one of Jones/Smalling, Young we still have enough players. Also Rashford, Tuanzebe, Fosu Mensah can be played without registering.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I don't think it should be an issue.

Carrick, Pogba, Rooney, Jones, Smalling, Shaw, Lingard, Young as our registered players.

Carrick and Rooney are done, Young is nearly done, and Shaw will be done. The other three should be glad they are English.

It is an issue, we could hypothetically keep the likes of Carrick and Rooney on the books but we need our squad options to be viable options so they do need replacing. You have listed eight players as our English quota and only one of them will be a genuine first team option going forward, it is a factor that Woodward needs to be mindfull of when targeting players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Carrick and Rooney are done, Young is nearly done, and Shaw will be done. The other three should be glad they are English.

It is an issue, we could hypothetically keep the likes of Carrick and Rooney on the books but we need our squad options to be viable options so they do need replacing. You have listed eight players as our English quota and only one of them will be a genuine first team option going forward, it is a factor that Woodward needs to be mindfull of when targeting players.

Carrick has signed extension, so he will stay for next season. Not sure Shaw will be gone, he is injured anyways so he will stay.

We don't need English quota, we need home grown players. Pogba is home grown player. We can have likes of Tuanzebe, Fosu Mensah, Pereira who can play as squad players. Also we can add 3rd choice GK who is always HG player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Carrick has another season and Young is probably the same.Will lose Rooney this summer but I don't think it's a major issue just yet unless Jose decides to sell 2 or 3 home grown players this summer which is unlikely.

TFM and Tunzebe look like they are good enough to step up as well.

If the right player comes along who is home grown then by all accounts go after him but I don't think United need to chase any of them yet.

Southampton have reported Liverpool over "an illegal approach to VVD".
    With their recent trouble over tapping up young players you'd think they'd learn.
    All we need now is a transfer ban for them:)

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Carrick has signed extension
    yabadabado wrote: »
    Carrick has another season

Carrick can sign whatever he wants, more power to him, I still don't think he is a meaningful option for us next season, its already very clear that he can be a liability in midfield against any team that puts pressure on him.

Regardless, my point was simply to wonder how much the english factor was influencing decisions, we have a lot of average players that need upgrading and a lot of them are english.

I take it you're not familiar with the concept of a squad then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Free run at Morata I'd say, or else it's already done

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/872019678872444929

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Southampton have reported Liverpool over "an illegal approach to VVD".
    With their recent trouble over tapping up young players you'd think they'd learn.
    All we need now is a transfer ban for them:)

It seems to be based off paper talk to be honest. Also I don't see any difference in this and Jose in daily contact with Lindorf (I think that was the article linked earlier).

but we need our squad options to be viable options
    pjohnson wrote: »
    I take it you're not familiar with the concept of a squad then.

I'm certainly getting familiar with your so called posts.

Carrick can sign whatever he wants, more power to him, I still don't think he is a meaningful option for us next season, its already very clear that he can be a liability in midfield against any team that puts pressure on him.

Regardless, my point was simply to wonder how much the english factor was influencing decisions, we have a lot of average players that need upgrading and a lot of them are english.
    Jose obviously sees him as a meaningful option and will be used when needed.

I'd doubt the home grown rule influences the transfer strategy especially when there isn't a problem there .Unless there is a big cull of home grown players there isn't a problem for the upcoming season.

Buybhomegrown if they are an upgrade but not to make up numbers/quotas.

• emmetkenny wrote: »
    It seems to be based off paper talk to be honest. Also I don't see any difference in this and Jose in daily contact with Lindorf (I think that was the article linked earlier).

I'd be surprised if that's the case considering both BBC & Sky now reporting it.
    Probably best discuss in the transfer thread than here if you wish.

emmetkenny wrote: »

The difference would be United aren't reported to a FA over their conduct which according to reports Liverpool will be.
    For all we know United could have gotten permission from Benfica and Pool didn't from Southampton.

I'm certainly getting familiar with your so called posts.

Well what do you consider "viable." You appear to prefer Mahrez over Lingard. So not only does that affect our quota but it seems to show that you think a 27 year old that will cost 30m is good value to merely add "depth" to our squad? Keeping in mind Mahrez was poor last year, even after Shakespeare got Leicester and Vardy going again. Thats not even accounting for Lingards work rate being a much appreciated trait by Mourinho. And will Mahrez a player approaching his prime age wise even be happy with a substitute role? Younger players tend to accept squad roles when they get older they want first team role a la Jonny Evans.

And while Carricks extension was a suprise obviously Mourinho sees he is a squad option and keeping him saves having to replace him. I will trust Mourinho's judgement before buckety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Looking at the things posted, written etc. it's very much reading to me like the rising clamour for clicks, attention and "first".

There is a very clear history whereby Mourinho identifies his targets early, and the club/himself go get working on it.

I think by the fact we haven't announced anything, we are seeing outlets and people sticking their neck out more brave then usual with claiming this or that.

In short, I'm not seeing anything to be concerned about. And I don't expect much to happen until after the international players return from their camps. I'd also imagine there is some serious negotiations taking place in what looks like a wild summer about to take place.

It used to be "handy" enough identifying the good reliable sources but looks tougher then ever. Probably doesn't help me that I'm not interested in it anymore but it seems like "maybe" while our gang are cool and know the score and just waiting on players to come back, or players to sign, or clubs to agree fees, the press pack are freaking out "OMG UNITED NOW WANT NEYMAR, BUT WAIT ITS NOW BALE, INTEREST HAS COOOOOLED NOW BACK FOR RONALDO" and basically taking signs of nothing happening, and painting it like we are changing our minds or something.

What became very clear from Jose, and just his history, there are clear targets. And those targets will be worked through. And the only left field stuff is a quality player becoming available on a whim.

I'm not taking "no action" as the club changing tactic or vision or targets. I'd imagine, it's all going exactly as it should.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm not taking "no action" as the club changing tactic or vision or targets. I'd imagine, it's all going exactly as it should.

I'm certainly thinking the Greizmann situation has changed things significantly for United this summer. I think there has been a big rethink (possibly still ongoing) with an apparent failure to get him.

pjohnson wrote: »
    You appear to prefer Mahrez over Lingard. So not only does that affect our quota but it seems to show that you think a 27 year old that will cost 30m is good value to merely add "depth" to our squad?

I never once said that we should buy Mahrez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Nice read on Fergie's Fledglings for those of us old enough to remember those days.

I remember the Liverpool match mentioned in this. I had "United's greatest victories over Liverpool" on VHS, it was about all we had back then :)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/jan/01/fergies-original-fledglings-manchester-united

Its people saying that the better options are Lingard and Harrop that starts the world laughing.

This was your comment after I said I'd prefer to just use Lingard and Harrop when someone else suggested we should go for Mahrez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

How the fuk do you get reported for talking to your reserve team player?????

• Advertisement

I'm certainly thinking the Greizmann situation has changed things significantly for United this summer. I think there has been a big rethink (possibly still ongoing) with an apparent failure to get him.

I'd be shocked if that somehow scuppered things. This is big business, this is elite football and a premier league transfer market.

There was no unknowns with that situation, everyone knew about the transfer ban, and the situation he stayed to help Athletico should, and I assume was, planned for.

Negligence of the highest order if it wasn't, and I mean, total negligence.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if that somehow scuppered things. This is big business, this is elite football and a premier league transfer market.

There was no unknowns with that situation, everyone knew about the transfer ban, and the situation he stayed to help Athletico should, and I assume was, planned for.

Negligence of the highest order if it wasn't, and I mean, total negligence.

I don't think there was a "Oh ****, with no Griezmann, we have no plans!!!" scenario, but I do think there was probably two lists done up, one with him on it, one without. While starts might have been made on the second list, it's probably still a different one than they were hoping, so plans have changed.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I don't think there was a "Oh ****, with no Griezmann, we have no plans!!!" scenario, but I do think there was probably two lists done up, one with him on it, one without. While starts might have been made on the second list, it's probably still a different one than they were hoping, so plans have changed.

I would hope Greizmann was just this seasons big media circus Pogba type deal while we quitely got on with quiter Bailly type deals in the background ofcthe circus.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Ah yeah I'd imagine there was a contingency should Grizemann not happen, but my point being I don't think it's targets or prios changing now on the fly.

It's just initiating a contingency that was already drawn up.

I know how Mitch felt about Griezemann, but I didn't see him as the catalyst for a big change in how the team or Mourinho were going to operate. Saw him as just another attacker. So I don't think that alternative list or plan is drastically different apart from maybe reallocation of funds or maybe being able to go bigger on a stirker or something.

My reading anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Griezemann will sign for us in the winter transfer
    Alexandre Lacazette open to waiting out transfer ban before joining Atletico

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It should not really have been a big issue though, it was well known that the appeal may fail, so contingency plans for that would have been in place. It is mad to think it would not have come up in discussion that if the transfer ban gets upheld, Griezmann will not move out of loyalty/whatever, so we then switch to this player instead etc

Occam's razor dictates the situation would have been considered and accounted for well in advance.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Griezemann will sign for us in the winter transfer

Wont happen till next summer as both players will be cup tied from european football

https://twitter.com/EmaGiulianelli/status/872071758530183168
    Man Utd attempt to hijack Aubameyang's PSG move

I'd love that but Giulianelli is a spoofer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    I'd love that but Giulianelli is a spoofer!

Miguel delaney had us going for bale the other day... another spoofer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

99.9% of them are spoofers. Even the ones with good sources and actual true stories still have to write an article every day or two and there's only so many column inches that the truth will fill, so they all resort to making crap up to fill the rest of the pages.

I know Mitch has very kind words for Delaney and he will tell you he is only reporting on what his sources tell him, I find he is very hit and miss though..

Giulianelli makes things up and he has been called on it before. He is the ultimate click bait journalist(if you can call him that). He reports for the Sun and tribal football as well as the Mirror.

I do wish he was right in this instance though :D

Listening to Delaney on whatever episode of Second Captains I was listening to today (post CL final) I'm actually perplexed that guy is paid for his opinion and view on football.

I've simply never understood what his appeal is. He has shown continuously to be a bit of a spoof and buys into the notoriety of "first", consistently gives the impression that he knows something but can't say (frowned upon) and his general interpretation and understanding of football issues and situations is crazy bad at times.

But on the flipside, he isn't like a Dunphy or some other journalists that have a clear "thing" of inciting controversy knowingly. As in putting out a clear bollox opinion, knowing it will generate some clicks and publicity and talking points.

Delaney is London based, and reports on Chelsea and Spurs primarily. How he even gets to comment on United stuff is mental, and why its taken with anything more then what it is, surprises me greatly.

I don't like ****ting on journalists generally, especially not Irish ones and while his writing is pretty good, I'm just a bit lost to his purpose really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Delaney often makes an absolute tit of himself on twitter too, which is entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i tend to just ignore all the journalists now theres very little to trust from the majority. At this rate i trust you lot more than most them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement