Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Dunno about him tbh real don't sell hot property

Robben, Sneijder, Xabi Alonso, Ozil, Seedorf, Eto'o, Makelele and lastly our very own Juan Mata. Real sell players once they get bored and want the next big thing.

Also to be fair to them Ronaldo is a no. 9 now and they also have Benzema so getting money in for Morata and using it to strengthen out wide is exactly what they need to do.

Morata may or may not work out but the fact Real are willing to sell doesn't worry me in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I think Llorente wouldn't be a bad signing as a 3rd striker.
    15 goals for Swansea, has played in Spain, Italy and the PL.
    6ft 4...knows where the goal is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Morata is not worth any where near 78m.

This is classic perez, man utd have showed him up on more than one occassion with de gea and now hes wants his payback.

52m is a fantastic deal for madrid. Any other club and they would be delighted with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

A player is 'worth' what a club is willing to spend. If Jose wants Morata then he will spend the money or alternatively target other players.

The world knows we have money. They will demand 20% more (minimum) on what they feel a player is worth anyways.

Besides, I felt as frustrated as fcuk last season with our striking choices in the closing stages and was worried if one of them became injured. When it did happen the team looked very light with a very young Rashford asked to lead the line was not ideal. Morata would immensely improve things. And when Rooney goes he too will need to be replaced.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Bit late to get sticky about transfer fees after what was paid for Di Madria, Pogba and what United were prepared to pay for Griezmann.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Bit late to get sticky about transfer fees after what was paid for Di Madria, Pogba and what United were prepared to pay for Griezmann.

3 world class players. Morata is not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Players who were key players vs player who is a back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    Morata is not worth any where near 78m.

This is classic perez, man utd have showed him up on more than one occassion with de gea and now hes wants his payback.

52m is a fantastic deal for madrid. Any other club and they would be delighted with that

They had quoted Milan around the same a couple of weeks ago so it's no surprise that is their opening stance in negotiation, he will probably go for around 60/65m which in the current transfer climate is not too bad when you think 85m for Belotti, 100m is being quoted for Lukaku, 115 for Mbappe(who by the way has chose to stay at Monaco this summer) and it would probably cost about 130-140m for Kane. The context is the Key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

astradave wrote: »
    They had quoted Milan around the same a couple of weeks ago so it's no surprise that is their opening stance in negotiation, he will probably go for around 60/65m which in the current transfer climate is not too bad when you think 85m for Belotti, 100m is being quoted for Lukaku, 115 for Mbappe(who by the way has chose to stay at Monaco this summer) and it would probably cost about 130-140m for Kane. The context is the Key.
    **** that if he would cost 65 go all in and sign a world class striker... sure whats another 30 or so million amongst friends lol

• Advertisement

actually ill just ask do you honestly believe morata is good enough to lead the line for us? he is a very good player no doubt but is he a gamechanger or better than rashford or if we played martial up front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Gotta agree here. The difference between a pogba or a Griezmann is huge. They are players that are not only key players but also massively marketable. Is Morata? Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Jayop wrote: »
    Gotta agree here. The difference between a pogba or a Griezmann is huge. They are players that are not only key players but also massively marketable. Is Morata? Nope.

Firstly, he may not be marketable now - but if he became a key player for United he would become massively marketable overnight to be honest. United have a massive effect on the marketability of players - it is used as a selling point of the club to players.

Secondly, whether a player is marketable… who gives an fcuk - if he scored goals and contributed to winning I couldn’t care less if he sold a single jersey or not.

I'm very underwhelmed with morata if I'm honest. and the fee is ridiculous lets face it. I would take him as an extra striker for options but no way should he be the main summer striker buy we have been all been waiting for. I would be very nervous going forward to next season with him as our main striker.

he could prove me wrong and I hope he does but MEH

would rather lacazette if I'm honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If Lukaku and Kane are non runners ,who else is there ?
    Bellotti has been linked but will cost similar to Morata but is also somewhat unproven.
    Who is available that is up to the job?
    Aubameyang looks to be on the move but doesn't strike me as a Jose type striker.

It's not just a striker needed but also need to add goals from the attacking midfielders and wide men. After Zlatan Mata scored 6 league goals .That is as much a problem as finding a 20+ goals striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Well Aubameyang looks to be getting closer to being a PSG player for €70 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

zerks wrote: »
    Well Aubameyang looks to be getting closer to being a PSG player for ?70 million.

I meant to say that in the post.Still half asleep !

I'd take a chance on Cavani at a reasonable price.

Are we talking now about morata being marketable? We really are morphing into real madrid... was one of the reasons they didnt sign ronaldinho.. he wasnt good looking enough :)

yabadabado wrote: »
    I meant to say that in the post.Still half asleep !

I'd take a chance on Cavani at a reasonable price.
    before the Ireland Uruguay match the other day was watching cavani warm up.. he has a godly touch and a hammer shot. fantastic striker of the ball. I was pissed off cos he came off after 20 minutes stretching to get a ball..

• Advertisement

Are we talking now about morata being marketable? We really are morphing into real madrid... was one of the reasons they didnt sign ronaldinho.. he wasnt good looking enough :)
    far from it he could look like the guy from the goonies for all I care I want a goal machine and morata is far from a goal machine

**** that if he would cost 65 go all in and sign a world class striker... sure whats another 30 or so million amongst friends lol

Because by all accounts lukaku is off to Chelsea, Mbappe is staying at Monaco then going to Madrid and we haven't a hope in hell of getting Kane..

That leaves Belotti who imo isn't as good as Morata and would cost more..

Excluding Mbappe if you look at the profile of the players we are looking at it shows the type of Striker we will be looking at, Lacazette is a polar opposite of them and what we need is someone to take the ball, hold it up and play in the players around him like Martial and Rashford as well as scoring goals and Morata is much better than Belotti and Lukaku at that(in excluding Kane as we ain't even going there).

If you throw in a DM like Fabinho it allows for the wide attacking players to stay higher up the pitch to play off the striker and not have as much defensive responsibilities

My other half thinks Morata is a "roide"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Would prefer a lot of players to Morata. Lacazette or Belotti even. Someone who has shown they can be prolific. Playing as the main striker for Juve and getting 7 or 8 league goals over a season is not inspiring. Belotti has got 26 for Torino this season. I don't think Torino would turn down a 50m odd bid no matter what they say too.

If we are looking for a central striker it could be Benzema is available this summer - if Madrid get Mbappe as is being talked about. I'd be delighted with him. Get in some wide threat along with him and I would be very happy with our attack.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm surprised Cavaini isn't being linked, given the Auba stories...

• Advertisement

If we are looking for a central striker it could be Benzema is available this summer - if Madrid get Mbappe as is being talked about. I'd be delighted with him. Get in some wide threat along with him and I would be very happy with our attack.

Benzema would be a dream.. the ideal Jose type striker imo but the reports this morning is that Mbappe has agreed to stay with Monaco to develop for one more season. So with Benzema and Ronaldo with Madrid that's why Morata is available.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Would be gutted if we signed him.

Firstly, he may not be marketable now - but if he became a key player for United he would become massively marketable overnight to be honest. United have a massive effect on the marketability of players - it is used as a selling point of the club to players.

Secondly, whether a player is marketable… who gives an fcuk - if he scored goals and contributed to winning I couldn’t care less if he sold a single jersey or not.

Easy likes with your last part I guess but the fact is that a players marketability us a huge factor in determining value.

Again saying someone has potential to be marketable is useless when comparing to players like pogba that already are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

3 world class players. Morata is not
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Players who were key players vs player who is a back up.

First, what astradave said.

United have a recent history of overpaying for players, look at Martial deal.

The market is gone mad for prices and United played a part in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Lord TSC wrote: »

If zlatan is staying cavaini won't go, think he didn't Luke him at PSG because he kept him out of his preferred position

• Advertisement

Easy likes with your last part I guess but the fact is that a players marketability us a huge factor in determining value.

Again saying someone has potential to be marketable is useless when comparing to players like pogba that already are.

Its nowt to do with easy likes - I just don't see it has a valuable part of the discussion, and the way you worded your post implied it was a massive part of the valuation of a player.

I don't think aubameyang would be a particularly marketable player, but he is spoken of in that price bracket because he is a very proven goalscorer. I don't think Lukaku is currently any more marketable than Morata - probably less so considering Morata plays for Madrid, not Everton, but thats the price bracket. Morata is a lot more marketable than Martial was when we signed him - and we spent (and commited to spending) a fortune on Martial.

I think the current talk of Morata has him way over valued by Madrid (if the stories are true) - I don't think he is 'worth' anywhere close to the €90million Madrid apparently want and the bid United are said to have put in would even be too high for him, imo, but I simply don't think that whether he is marketable is a significant part of that discussion - particularly when signing for United makes a player instantly marketable.

Its nowt to do with easy likes - I just don't see it has a valuable part of the discussion, and the way you worded your post implied it was a massive part of the valuation of a player.

I don't think aubameyang would be a particularly marketable player, but he is spoken of in that price bracket because he is a very proven goalscorer. I don't think Lukaku is currently any more marketable than Morata - probably less so considering Morata plays for Madrid, not Everton, but thats the price bracket. Morata is a lot more marketable than Martial was when we signed him - and we spent (and commited to spending) a fortune on Martial.

I think the current talk of Morata has him way over valued by Madrid (if the stories are true) - I don't think he is 'worth' anywhere close to the €90million Madrid apparently want and the bid United are said to have put in would even be too high for him, imo, but I simply don't think that whether he is marketable is a significant part of that discussion - particularly when signing for United makes a player instantly marketable.

I implied it because it's the case.

Of course the biggest part of a valuation is the players ability and that's the only thing I care about. He could be elvis reincarnation in terms of marketability and I couldn't care less, all I want is good players. But the reality is that certain players like pogba have a large percentage added to their value because they are marketable. Morata is neither as good a player or as well known so for both reasons he's not worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I wouldnt be too upset if we bought morata I don't see many options out there that are scoring goals?

Lukaku looks to be Chelsea bound.

Aubamyang wouldn't be the type of player we need and for 70 million about same money morata would probably cost i think I'd prefer morata.

Belotti is another option for more money and probably a worse goal scoring rate.

Who else is out there? Jose knows exactly what morata brings to the team he be a gamble but we need goalscorers badly.

I implied it because it's the case.

Of course the biggest part of a valuation is the players ability and that's the only thing I care about. He could be elvis reincarnation in terms of marketability and I couldn't care less, all I want is good players. But the reality is that certain players like pogba have a large percentage added to their value because they are marketable. Morata is neither as good a player or as well known so for both reasons he's not worth the money.

I think it's naive to think he is not well known, as in Spain and Italy he is, he played (and scored 20 goals)for the current CL & LaLiga winners and the Italian league winners last season.. both of these clubs have worldwide appeal and he is a current Spanish international, he will be in the squad for the match against Columbia tonight

First, what astradave said.

United have a recent history of overpaying for players, look at Martial deal.

The market is gone mad for prices and United played a part in that.

I blame liverpool.

35m for andy carroll

I think it's naive to think he is not well known, as in Spain and Italy he is, he played (and scored 20 goals)for the current CL & LaLiga winners and the Italian league winners last season.. both of these clubs have worldwide appeal and he is a current Spanish international, he will be in the squad for the match against Columbia tonight

I said not "AS" well known. Is he as well known as pogba was before we bought him? Nope.

Look, his goal record in a league where scoring a ball of goals for a top team looks pretty easy isn't great. It's about as impressive as what hernandez is doing in Germany.

scored more goals in less games, and far less starts, than Neymar in the league. Weird that - I'd jump at the chance at signing Neymar at any price!

https://twitter.com/DeportesCuatro/status/872374683370500100

No De Gea to Madrid. Perez knows Navas is popular with key figures in the dressing room.He met with them and Navas is staying as Madrid's number one,they won't be signing another keeper.

Sky now picking up the story that Madrid rejected a €60 million bid from United for Morata.

scored more goals in less games, and far less starts, than Neymar in the league. Weird that - I'd jump at the chance at signing Neymar at any price!

He has a goal about every 90 mins(possibly under but can't be arsed checking). People use his record at Juve against him but his all-round play for Juve was great.. he has added the goals this season to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Wonder if we got Liverpool to contact morata for us and get him to ask for a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

In a world where Higuain went for 90million I am not exactly surprised to hear Madrid want 90million for Morata, but I am certain they would take less, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn it is motivated by an attempt to get United to bring De Gea into the deal also.

Still taking very little interest in the media speculation this summer so haven't actually looked into or tried to work out how reliable any of the info is, from the fee to whether United actually want Morata or not.

A personal opinion I have is that Mourinho would prefer Benzema from Madrid and though I doubt that would happen it is a deal I would not rule out completely as we have sent Agent Fergie to check it out ;)benzema.jpg?w=748&h=493&crop=1

What about Paco Alcacer? Too small? Didn't have the best of times at Barca this season and rumours that the boss (Messi) wants him out to. Showed plenty for Valencia to like, only 23 and since he cost Barca 30mil you would think he would be available at a reasonable price, they are looking to raise money too. Not your typical Mourinho striker, more in the mould of Hernandez I suppose I just used to enjoy watching him for Valencia :D

I thought Keane would have been announced by now, obviously the stories flying around Manchester were wrong, or at the very least misguided, maybe it is a deal we could pull the trigger on quickly if other targets fall through?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

jayo26 wrote: »
    Wonder if we got Liverpool to contact morata for us and get him to ask for a move.

He'll have to join Southampton first.;)

I said not "AS" well known. Is he as well known as pogba was before we bought him? Nope.

Look, his goal record in a league where scoring a ball of goals for a top team looks pretty easy isn't great. It's about as impressive as what hernandez is doing in Germany.

That's fair enough, I mis-read your post, apologies. Though I do think he still has a lot of appeal and he would instantly be a face for the club if he joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

He has a goal about every 90 mins(possibly under but can't be arsed checking). People use his record at Juve against him but his all-round play for Juve was great.. he has added the goals this season to that.

Even for Juventus his record was great. IIRC his goal scoring record was 1 in 101 mins or something close to that.

His goals per min is very impressive right from Juventus time.

What about Paco Alcacer? Too small? Didn't have the best of times at Barca this season and rumours that the boss (Messi) wants him out to. Showed plenty for Valencia to like, only 23 and since he cost Barca 30mil you would think he would be available at a reasonable price, they are looking to raise money too.

He was cracking for Valencia, didn't get much opportunities this season though, while he is small he is very good in the air, though I personally think the PL defenders would be better at that aspect than laLiga and he might not suit, he would be more like Rashford and Martial imo
    I thought Keane would have been announced by now, obviously the stories flying around Manchester were wrong, or at the very least misguided, maybe it is a deal we could pull the trigger on quickly if other targets fall through?

Keane has been on holidays with Lingard and Harrop, Burnley could be digging their heels in over the price mind you and that's why the links to Lindelof have re-surfaced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

There is one strikers name I'm amazed we haven't been linked with at all, especially as we were linked with him only a few years ago when he was considered one of the top forwards in the world. He hasn't had the best of seasons just gone, those who watch that league can fill us in on that, and lost his place so more surprising we haven't been linked.

Thomas Muller anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭mcgragger

Just pay the fees - United are worth 3 billion quid so those numbers are low.
    Player fees are ridiculous anyway but if you want Michelin Star Food you have to Pay Michelin Star prices.

We need goals and I dont think Rashers is developed enough yet!

paulbok wrote: »
    There is one strikers name I'm amazed we haven't been linked with at all, especially as we were linked with him only a few years ago when he was considered one of the top forwards in the world. He hasn't had the best of seasons just gone, those who watch that league can fill us in on that, and lost his place so more surprising we haven't been linked.

Thomas Muller anyone?
    is muller not a right sided midfielder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Think he can play where Mata /Griezmann operates,
    I'm just surprised he hasn't been linked at all,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement