Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭mcgragger

paulbok wrote: »
    There is one strikers name I'm amazed we haven't been linked with at all, especially as we were linked with him only a few years ago when he was considered one of the top forwards in the world. He hasn't had the best of seasons just gone, those who watch that league can fill us in on that, and lost his place so more surprising we haven't been linked.

Thomas Muller anyone?

Id take him in a heartbeat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I always considered him a right sided attacking mf player

just googled his stats and he plays across the attack where needed from cam to wing to cf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Thomas muller no thanks. Stated my reasons here before. Pass

bangkok wrote: »
    Thomas muller no thanks. Stated my reasons here before. Pass
    well that decides that.....

TAKE NOTE JOSE....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

well that decides that.....

TAKE NOTE JOSE....

You once said that you wanted De Gea gone, that he was ****e and should be sold off for 15 odd million or whatever we can get... I wouldn't be taking the piss out of anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

far from it he could look like the guy from the goonies for all I care I want a goal machine and morata is far from a goal machine

Test Phil Jones upfront you mean :P

jayo26 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be too upset if we bought morata I don't see many options out there that are scoring goals?

Lukaku looks to be Chelsea bound.

Aubamyang wouldn't be the type of player we need and for 70 million about same money morata would probably cost i think I'd prefer morata.

Belotti is another option for more money and probably a worse goal scoring rate.

Who else is out there? Jose knows exactly what morata brings to the team he be a gamble but we need goalscorers badly.

Ya I agree. I no nothing about morata but he has a good name for a striker which is the most important thing really :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd imagine re Morata there is silly buggers at play between us and Madrid.

Obviously pure speculation on my part, but I'd imagine that is one of the most difficult negotiations to have for Woodward and company. Ferguson's public comments about the Ronaldo deal, which seemingly we milked fee wise(And rightly so), trying to hijack the Bale deal, Kroos, Di Maria flopping, De Gea fiasco, Contrao debacle.

Not surprised if Madrid want to milk us for Morata. I'd imagine if it was in fact a straight up £££ deal, De Gea doesn't want to leave and we have told Madrid to get ta ****, otherwise this is the most making sense player swop deal, one that actually makes sense (plus cash mind you)

That sort of bid for a reserve striker is pretty generous from us. Madrid won't do better for him in reality and we are silly to go higher.

A lot depends on Zlat. If Zlat leavrs I think we'd need to splash out for both Bellotti and Morata. Rashford is still young enough to be 3rd choice and pacey enough to still dabble on the wings. Ideally we can keep Zlat for another year.

We really should have signed dembele for 500k before he moved to celtic.

Serious lack of quality strikers on the market. Hopefully who ever we sign hits the ground running, we cannot afford to let any teams take an early advantage in the league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

astradave wrote: »
    They had quoted Milan around the same a couple of weeks ago so it's no surprise that is their opening stance in negotiation, he will probably go for around 60/65m which in the current transfer climate is not too bad when you think 85m for Belotti, 100m is being quoted for Lukaku, 115 for Mbappe(who by the way has chose to stay at Monaco this summer) and it would probably cost about 130-140m for Kane. The context is the Key.

The transfer market is crazy these days the prices you've posted are still tabloid makey-uppy numbers. Every figure nearly equals, or completely obliterates the current transfer record. I'm not sure I'd even take 2 of the 4 listed unless they were for very reasonable fees (Belotti, Mbappe - both with good potential but unproven after only one great season).

There is no way on earth that I can imagine anyone will effectively equal the current transfer record for Belotti, or pay 100m+ plus for Mbappe after one great season, or add another 1/3 to the existing bat sh!t crazy record for Kane. I could be proven wrong in a few months, but time will tell. To put it in context, Morata's last two fees combined have only been around 37m (granted, his buy back for fixed).
    actually ill just ask do you honestly believe morata is good enough to lead the line for us? he is a very good player no doubt but is he a gamechanger or better than rashford or if we played martial up front?

He is good enough but he won't be enough on his own, he needs to be one part of the puzzle. Is he going to score a vast amount more than Zlatan last year? I doubt it. We need more goals from every part of the team basically. We also need a wide player and a central midfielder that can chip in occasionally.
    mcgragger wrote: »
    Just pay the fees - United are worth 3 billion quid so those numbers are low.
    Player fees are ridiculous anyway but if you want Michelin Star Food you have to Pay Michelin Star prices.

We need goals and I dont think Rashers is developed enough yet!

This makes zero sense. Does "being worth" 3 billion pay transfer fees? Does it mean the club have 3 billion in the bank? United already have a reputation for overpaying which means all transfers already cost a premium. Recklessly throwing money around has really helped post Fergie. The insane profits won't be long in disappearing if the club don't act with some degree of sense.

I've always viewed this striker to be Rooney's replacement in the squad (and a significant upgrade) if we loose Zlatan aswell we'd need another.

I wouldnt dare start next season with two strikers in the squad.

Apparently retained lists are to be submitted this week so we'll know soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

What is the story with Rooney? Have read very little speculation since the end of the season. I'd assume we would be happy enough with little to no fee if we got his wages off the book. It will be a shame to see him leave but it is time to move on for all concerned.

That debut night against Fenerbache is one of my favourite football memories, worlds most expensive teenager, making his home debut in the Champions League, incredible. He has obviously had a fantastic career and the highlights stand out but a part of me thinks there could have been more.

You once said that you wanted De Gea gone, that he was ****e and should be sold off for 15 odd million or whatever we can get... I wouldn't be taking the piss out of anyone
    at the time he was playing ****e and making mistakes so yes at that point in time that was a valid point

you are into American football... that says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

at the time he was playing ****e and making mistakes so yes at that point in time that was a valid point

Dont slag American football

Hococop wrote: »
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

De Gea was never playing shíte. The media were blowing everything out of proportion unfairly on him. He had some great games in his first season. Fergie dropped him but I think that was more to take the spotlight off him. If the same scrutiny was put on other keepers in the league at the time the papers wouldn't have space for anything else.

Liam O wrote: »
    De Gea was never playing shíte. The media were blowing everything out of proportion unfairly on him. He had some great games in his first season. Fergie dropped him but I think that was more to take the spotlight off him. If the same scrutiny was put on other keepers in the league at the time the papers wouldn't have space for anything else.
    tbh at the time I wasn't happy with putting our trust in such a young keeper.

was an opinion that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hococop wrote: »

XCaST.jpg

from what we have seen of romero he is too good a keeper to be a backup imo. can you see him wanting to be degeas number 2 for the rest of his career?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

If Madrid are being unreasonable about Morata we should go in for Mbappe to annoy them and hopefully increase the price they have to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It was never a valid point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I play american football, which im assuming is an infinite amount more sports than you play.

You spout stuff you read off forums then think you can pop at other posters, I dont really like bangkok the best but at least he says his reasons why

I play american football, which im assuming is an infinite amount more sports than you play.

You spout stuff you read off forums then think you can pop at other posters, I dont really like bangkok the best but at least he says his reasons why
    you don't know what I play or don't ray... I run, I play 5 a side and have played rugby, football, gaa, hurling in the past.

what have I read from other forums btw? back up your talk

also why mention that you don't really like Bangkok? leave the guy alone we all have an equal right to post here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

from what we have seen of romero he is too good a keeper to be a backup imo. can you see him wanting to be degeas number 2 for the rest of his career?

spent 4 seasons as a backup at this point - who knows what he wants to do.

It was never a valid point.
    and I agree withn that probably frustrated with few mistakes and I was unhappy with him being our number 1 at the time.

spent 4 seasons as a backup at this point - who knows what he wants to do.

I really hope he does tbh because at the moment we are absolutely stacked with goalkeepers. great position to be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Oops sorry guys, wrong thread

giphy.gif

Will be interesting what Romero wants to do next season, and how De Gea (maybe) staying effects it.

Whatever about playing Romero in the Europa League, I can't imagine he'll be getting CL starts over DDG.

• Advertisement

Will be interesting what Romero wants to do next season, and how De Gea (maybe) staying effects it.

Whatever about playing Romero in the Europa League, I can't imagine he'll be getting CL starts over DDG.
    cant see it myself but the guy is a cracking keeper shame too see him week in week out on the sideline

cant see it myself but the guy is a cracking keeper shame too see him week in week out on the sideline

cracking is a bit far imo - still gives me heart attacks when I see him in goal - makes everything look that little bit more 'super' than I feel required and is a bit more relaxed with the ball at his feet than I'd like. He did look more 'solid' towards the end of the season though, to be fair.

No way would I want him as first choice at United though - if DDG was sold I'd be wanting a new number one brought in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

José has done it at Madrid play different keepers in league and champions league nothing would surprise me.

giphy.gif

jayo26 wrote: »
    José has done it at Madrid play different keepers in league and champions league nothing would surprise me.

Wasn't that some weird agenda thing with Casilas though? At Chelsea/Inter/Porto I think PL and CL first choice were the same.

Maybe Jose will develop an agenda vs DDG.

cracking is a bit far imo - still gives me heart attacks when I see him in goal - makes everything look that little bit more 'super' than I feel required and is a bit more relaxed with the ball at his feet than I'd like. He did look more 'solid' towards the end of the season though, to be fair.

No way would I want him as first choice at United though - if DDG was sold I'd be wanting a new number one brought in.
    tbh I don't think we will have to decide first choice or not, navas is in super form why would madrid replace him in a back to back winning champions league squad

• Advertisement

Plenty of games and competitions next season for Romero. Whatever about the CL, any dead rubbers Romero could play, along with cup competitions and league rotation.

Think we are blessed with our keeper selection. He is a very good number 2 to call upon. And he does some things better than De Gea. Think people overestimate the gaps in terms of goalkeeping. Obviously that bit more obvious with outfield players, but De Gea and Neuer arn't that far ahead in the same vain as say Ronaldo/Messi.

Don't know if we want to go down that path, if we start to map out Romero and De Gea and talking about them, probably end up with the realisation that they arn't that far apart. And that goes for a lot of keepers.

While De Gea is a brilliant goalkeeper, having now seen Romero over the course of two seasons, De Gea leaving isn't as massive a blow to me as it once was. There is also a large crop of up and coming keepers around Europe who have really good careers ahead of them. I'd love for him to stay, I wish for him to stay, but if he was lost to Madrid, I don't think it was be a reason or excuse for the team not achieving what it should. I don't want that to sound like I don't rate De Gea, but I think people have gotten a little carried away in terms of his importance, and no surprise, for three seasons he was essentially our godsend and god knows where things would have ended up without him.

I don't envisage a situation like between Schmeichael and Van Der Sar, where we are in the wilderness for years going through **** keepers, should De Gea leave.

Again, can't stress enough, I love De Gea, I rate De Gea, I wish he will stay for many years to come, but I think his importance is starting to get a bit blown out of proportion, and people obviously not overly aware of whats emerging around Europe in that position.

any more update on the Renato sanchez situation at Bayern did I read somewhere they were considering selling him? he would be a great buy, for a young guy he is a tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

any more update on the Renato sanchez situation at Bayern did I read somewhere they were considering selling him? he would be a great buy, for a young guy he is a tank
    A midfield trio of him, Pogba, and Herrera?? Yes, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

TheDoc wrote: »
    Ferguson's public comments about the Ronaldo deal, which seemingly we milked fee wise(And rightly so)

Ronaldo was the bargain of the century.

Nailz wrote: »
    A midfield trio of him, Pogba, and Herrera?? Yes, please.

is he a good enough defensive midfielder for that trio to work? I would worry none of the three are good enough defensively and we'd compromise the talents of all three to offer some solidity and protection for the defence.

• Advertisement

is he a good enough defensive midfielder for that trio to work? I would worry none of the three are good enough defensively and we'd compromise the talents of all three to offer some solidity and protection for the defence.
    from what I have seen of him he is an absolute battling midfielder and is exactly what we need to add steel to our midfield..

beno619 wrote: »
    looking back at ronaldos sale it was absolutely a bargain for real, imo the best player in the world and an amazing athlete to boot

tbh I don't think we will have to decide first choice or not, navas is in super form why would madrid replace him in a back to back winning champions league squad

Cause their president is bat**** crazy :D

astradave wrote: »
    Cause their president is bat**** crazy :D
    true that lol

beno619 wrote: »

Looking back at it now yes, yes he was, but at the time we got a fantastic deal. 80m up front.

In todays market if we were selling ronaldo to madrid at the same age we sold him to madrid we could have easily gotten 150m

Think he would be more of a Box to Box, we have been linked to both him and Nainggolan who is also a box to box and then Fabinho and Bakayoko, looking at that there is 2 b2b and 2 DM there so maybe we might bring in 2 midfielders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Reports that Fabinho won't sign for City,looks like we have a free run at him.

Did anything come about with Barkley and Everton? Just someone can't shake from my head in our midfield.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Did anything come about with Barkley and Everton? Just someone can't shake from my head in our midfield.

nothing since West Ham were linked.

Can't see United going for him - can't see why we would. Have Herrera, Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Mata who would play whereever we would stick him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I hope we get Fabinho, versatile and is quality, wouldn't want Barkley, he hasn't progressed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement