Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Internationals are over now, yeah?

Another round of games this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

We should have signed dembele for 500k when he went to celtic. I still think we should try and sign him. Should be available for around 20m.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

bangkok wrote: »
    We should have signed dembele for 500k when he went to celtic. I still think we should try and sign him. Should be available for around 20m.

Cause what we need is another unproven kid full of potential?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/872797188560216065

Sky sources: "United not offering Zlatan a contract extension".

Italian sports daily Tuttosport claims that Jose Mourinho’s agent, Jorge Mendes, has flown to Italy for talks with Torino over striking sensation Andrea Belotti. The Portuguese tactician is determined to bring in some heavy duty reinforcements this summer and the 23-year-old remains one of his priority targets.

http://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/manchester-united-mourinho-s-agent-arrives-in-italy-for-talks-wi-71008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

zerks wrote: »

Sentiment aside, that would absolutely be the correct decision. With his wages, his age, the type of injury he has and the realistic date of return it would be madness to include him in any plans going forward. If he wasn't so famous it wouldn't even be a discussion.

Its a real shame but there is no way continuing his contract could be justified.

Was this not reported a few weeks ago?

Busy man that mendes, he is in milan as well talking to them about diego costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Would you worry about Bale and his injury record?

With his injury record, he seems to be morphing into a Phil Jones 2.0. Last thing we need is another physio room junkie, so I'd stay well clear of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sentiment aside, that would absolutely be the correct decision. With his wages, his age, the type of injury he has and the realistic date of return it would be madness to include him in any plans going forward. If he wasn't so famous it wouldn't even be a discussion.

Its a real shame but there is no way continuing his contract could be justified.
    Wonder if United will still support his rehab and then both parties make a decision on what happens next after he gets back to football training.

• Advertisement

Wonder if United will still support his rehab and then both parties make a decision on what happens next after he gets back to football training.

Support his rehab and then offer a short term rolling contract should he ever demonstrate his fitness, sure, the chance of him coming into the team late in the season and having a Henrik Larsson type effect would be worth exploring. But we can't extend his current contract, no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Rooney was absolutely no use last season, and rarely played as a striker when he did play - so we don't need a striker to replace him.

But by not replacing him (or having an alternative) last year we suffered, so you're right - we can't get much worse by letting Rooney go and not replacing him, but "not getting worse" isn't much use. They need to improve.

But by not replacing him (or having an alternative) last year we suffered, so you're right - we can't get much worse by letting Rooney go and not replacing him, but "not getting worse" isn't much use. They need to improve.

But we could replace him with winger/attacker (like Greizmann), which IMO is a requirement for the first 11, rather than a, possibly substitute, striker. (along with signing a first choice striker).

EDIT:

My arguement in formation (obviously need to replace Greizmann with someone else, but don't know who):

Morata
    Rashford
    Greizmann

Other options based on form/suspensions/injuries

Greizmann
    Rashford
    Mata

Martial
    Rashford
    Mata

Martial
    Mkhitaryan
    Mata

Rashford
    Martial
    Lingard

£19m a season saved by not offering zlatan a new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

He was on £365,000 a week?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

How much is he on? How much do we save if he and Rooney are no longer on the books?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Rod Munch wrote: »

Didn't know how much he is on, that is just shy of £19 million. :eek:

Apparently so - convinced I read that number last week. Could be the same as Young/Rooney contracts though in that the 365,000 figure is made up of base wage plus signing on fee pro-rated over the length of the contract. Could easily have seen a 10million or so signing on fee considering he was a 'free' transfer. Free transfers usually have a massive signing on fee. It could be an subsequent contract wouldn't include that so be do to 250k or something.

Think he was on near 500k before tax at PSG.

• Advertisement

Yep and to make it even more crazy he was on a bonus of something like 250k if he scored 10 goals, 500k for 15 goals and 1m if he hit 20!!!

HigginsJ wrote: »
    How much is he on? How much do we save if he and Rooney are no longer on the books?

The Rooney figure is inconsistently reported to a massive degree. Could be anywhere from 220k to 300k depending where you read. My understanding is it is somewhere between 220k to 250k (I think 220) with about 50k per week notionally on top of that (not actually paid) as the value added by the United sponsorship team working on Rooney's personal sponsorship - which was negotiated and agreed at the time of his last contract.

This was my thought exactly, Rooney's lack of contribution last season is something we need to change, not recreate.
    But we could replace him with winger/attacker (like Greizmann), which IMO is a requirement for the first 11, rather than a, possibly substitute, striker. (along with signing a first choice striker).
    It should be all three, a good, pacy wide player, a first choice top drawer striker, and another good quality striker to rotate/compete.

The thing is, we are already coming down with number 10's and players who can play in those deeper/wider supporting roles, we can improve there but as we saw plenty of times this season we have the creativity there to make do for another while. What we didn't have was the ruthlessness up front, and once Zlatan got injured we also lost all physical presence up front and things went to pot altogether. Addressing the causes of that must be absolute top priority ahead of straightforward improvements in other areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Love Zlatan but its the correct decision

This was my thought exactly, Rooney's lack of contribution last season is something we need to change, not recreate.

It should be all three, a good, pacy wide player, a first choice top drawer striker, and another good quality striker to rotate/compete.

The thing is, we are already coming down with number 10's and players who can play in those deeper/wider supporting roles, we can improve there but as we saw plenty of times this season we have the creativity there to make do for another while. What we didn't have was the ruthlessness up front, and once Zlatan got injured we also lost all physical presence up front and things went to pot altogether. Addressing the causes of that must be absolute top priority ahead of straightforward improvements in other areas.
    If we get a striker and an attacking threat from wide/off the striker in - i'm not going to complain massively if we then also buy a backup striker (though I would have big concerns over the use and development of Martial and Rashford if we did) - i'm just saying I don't think not signing a second striker would be a huge misstep as was originally stated. I think not signing a wide/off the striker attacking threat or a defensive midfielder would be huge missteps.

Striker, Defensive Midfielder, Wing Forward, Left Back, Centre Back, Centre Mid, Striker.

That would be my order of priority in terms of signings this summer.

Morata seemingly started following EPL players on instagram.

• Advertisement

If we get a striker and an attacking threat from wide/off the striker in - i'm not going to complain massively if we then also buy a backup striker (though I would have big concerns over the use and development of Martial and Rashford if we did) - i'm just saying I don't think not signing a second striker would be a huge misstep as was originally stated. I think not signing a wide/off the striker attacking threat or a defensive midfielder would be huge missteps.

Striker, Defensive Midfielder, Wing Forward, Left Back, Centre Back, Centre Mid, Striker.

That would be my order of priority in terms of signings this summer.

Well you know my opinion. I honestly do think it would be a huge misstep, and I don't particularly want to be sitting here at christmas saying I told you so. The consequences of not addressing our finishing woes far outweigh any other issue in that squad, we can make do in other areas but like I said, further goalscoring problems will cause heads to roll.

I would certainly place two new strikers ahead of any defender or midfielder, we have 5 central defenders for example as opposed to currently having two unproven kids as our strike force.

Bookmakers have slashed their odds dramatically on Clarets defender Michael Keane to re-join Manchester United. The 24-year-old, signed in September 2014, is now as short as 2/13 with 888sport to head back to Old Trafford during the summer. Keane, who won the FA Youth Cup with the Red Devils alongside Paul Pogba six years ago, has made 100 league appearances for the Clarets, scoring seven times. The centre back, who still has a year remaining on his contract at Turf Moor, received two caps for his country when appearing against Germany and Lithuania. He was also recognised in the PFA Young Player of the Year category while landing the player of the year accolade from his team mates at Burnley's end of season awards ceremony. United are odds on 1/2 favourites to secure the signatures of Victor Lindelof, who they have been tracking for a while, and also Alvaro Morata. The Real Madrid striker is now a 3/4 price to join United in summer, following heavy speculation of a switch this week. Jose Mourinho's side are also 2/1 to sign Juventus striker and Champions League finalist Paulo Dybala,

Read more at: http://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/football/clarets/bookies-slash-odds-on-clarets-defender-michael-keane-rejoining-manchester-united-1-8585378

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Dybala isn't a 9/CF is he? From the few times I've seen him he plays in 1 of the 3 positions behind that?

Dybala? EL OH EL! No chance Juve sell him.

Dybala is Italy's version of Kane. No chance of that one either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Dybala being compared to Kane? What in the world.

Dybala is Italy's version of Kane. No chance of that one either.

Not really, he is from argentina and plays behind the main striker

• Never Forget!!!!
    Thank you Zlatan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Id be gutted to see Zlatan going.

A born winner, he still could be a driving force in the dressing room and training pitch

Dont want him gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I didnt think of Martial as a striker this year more of a winger. Morata and Rashford alone wont get us into 4th let alone push for higher.

Not really, he is from argentina and plays behind the main striker

I meant in terms of a young player who has a top level team nearly built around him, who has shown no desire to move and who, if you did want him, would need to bid an extraordinary amount. He's the Italian league's version of Kane in terms of our chances of getting near him....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Dybala can play as a 9, but Higuain can't play anywhere other then 9 :)

Dybala can play anywhere in the attack imo, lovely player. Not as ungettable as Kane, but not far off tbf.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I disagree, in terms of signing two 'strikers'. I can't see us playing two up top - so two strikers is overkill - when we would have (for example) Morata, Rashford and Martial who could play through the middle. Someone like Griezmann would have been perfect imo - can oplay from the wing, off a leading striker or can be played in the point position if needed, as he has amply proven. I'm not sure what player would be similar to Greizmann that we could get in terms of position/flexibility (we aren't signing Sanchez).

I want more of a wing forward (like Griezman) rather than an attacking midfielder (Mata, Mkhitaryan) - someone like Robben was in the first iteration of Jose's chelsea.

Exactly. Dont need 2 central players up top. Morata and a Sanchez would be ideal. If we dont give Martial and Rashford plenty of game time then we may as well sell them. Its always been the Utd way to give young players a chance to progress and long may it continue. Its not too long ago we were taking the piss out of City for buying a league.
    Have faith in martial and Rashford
    And for middle of the park id bring back Pereira and take a punt on Reneto sanches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Would he also get a loyalty bonus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Maybe he is banking on our injury record being so bad again that he will end up getting a decent number of games, but still, he will have to move on next year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Compilation of Pogbas shots that hit the bar he has been so unlucky.

No coincidence that it gets reported just after the stories that Rooney isn't getting the kind of salary offers he wants judging by the "Rooney will not take a pay cut to stay in England" of course.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I thought roonies contract ran until 2019 he signed a 5 and half year contract under moyes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'd really like to see Rooney out of the club and the next phase evolve.

Of course he's been a brilliant player but probably should have gone last season or th season before. He's at best a squad player now. Apart from his wages, I'd just like to see such a powerful figure at the club, a remnant of the past if you will, out of the dressing room completely.

I think it would do all involved the world of good for Rooney and Utd to part ways this summer. I'll be amazed if it doesn't happen.

For him personally I feel a move would be the best chance he has to rejuvenate himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy

It's a bit odd. If it is about money why does he not just go to China ? Or is he too lazy to get on a plane.

Shame I saying that about the club top scorer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

DB1ZwV9WAAEwHus?format=jpg

Tuttosport running story tomorrow that we've bid €80mill for Belotti even though Morata is first choice. We are hardly signing both :eek::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Cotts72 wrote: »
    DB1ZwV9WAAEwHus?format=jpg

Tuttosport running story tomorrow that we've bid €80mill for Belotti even though Morata is first choice. We are hardly signing both :eek::p

Tutto can be pretty bad, it's like the Italian equivalent of the sun or metro :D I'd personally have Morata over Belotti but think the last few days have shown that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's a bit odd. If it is about money why does he not just go to China ? Or is he too lazy to get on a plane.

Shame I saying that about the club top scorer

Doesn't exactly seem the sort of chap that would fare well in a completely alien culture. He's got a giant contract where he is, surrounded by friends and family, so it makes sense that he'd let that run out first at least.

Then probably move to Everton on a still-decent contract next year and close out his career there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement