Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Ya but it was for at most 2 or 3 games. I'm open for correction though.

It was Park and Rafael against Blackburn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

VW 1 wrote: »
    It was Park and Rafael against Blackburn.

Cost us 80 odd million that game :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Agree with you there. Pretty spot on

But SAF knew the players. When SAF would look to rest players, Jose was only in the a few months and could not afford to lose more ground on the many rivals.

SAF also abandoned the league cup many times over the years and only gave it priority when/if a semi final arrived.

If the same (over reliance on a Pogba) happens with Jose next season then it would be a concern but in any season, a reliance on certain players is understandable (dare i say expected?) in his first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Jose has also almost always played with a very settled team. Like you could still name 9/10 of the starters from his first stint with Chelsea.

Fergie tended to rotate a lot more.

Can't wait for Newcastle games next season........ cheer up rafa benitez oh what can it mean to be a .............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jayop wrote: »
    Jose has also almost always played with a very settled team. Like you could still name 9/10 of the starters from his first stint with Chelsea.

Fergie tended to rotate a lot more.

Fergie did rotate a lot but left the back intact whenever he could. Our back 4 has been like a merry go round for the last three years. It's one thing I would love to see settled.

CBs have been injured constantly, a makeshift RB in Valencia temporarily replaced by a proper RB in Darmien before being brought back in again. Shaw bought, not fit enough to play, then in the team, then serious injury, then fitness/attitude problems.

It's nothing short of a miracle we have such a good defensive record this season especially when you think the vast majority of the football Jose has played has been very attacking.

So I'd really like to see a settled back line as soon as possible. It's another reason why I don't want De Gea to leave(and I don't buy into the mindset of "we don't need him as much as we did previously as we are more solid defensively). A top keeper is vital when you want to win the major prizes. Very good keepers(like Romero)will play well a lot but ultimately cost you over the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

DM_7 wrote: »
    But SAF knew the players..

I don't think thats an excuse, I'm not talking about the fine margins of spotting when one particular player needs a rest even if he says he is fine, I'm talking about basic, obvious things like not playing a 35 year old in every minute of every game.

You'll find posts in here from before Christmas talking about how tough our run-in was going to be, it hasn't appeared out of nowhere, and even accounting for bad luck with injuries I do think we could be a little better prepared for it.

As an aside, I kinda understand why TFM hasn't featured much but its a real shame because he could be really useful right now considering the players we have lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

What Fergie was good at was always having one eye on the end of the season and acting accordingly. He was thinking about April when it was still November/December, resting players at Christmas, giving squad players games and doing everything to make sure the team was ready for a sprint finish.

For all Mourinho has done a lot of good things he has really disappointed in that regard. He ran Zlatan into the ground, and even before the injury and even with a 3 week break recently you could see that Zlatan was looking way off the pace recently. Pogba should have been rested months ago, some of the kids should have gotten a game or two months ago, some of the squad players he jettisoned should have been kept purely for times like these.

I understand some of his decisions regarding the likes of TFM, but he has made mistakes in this area in ways that Fergie would have never have done.

It was a lot easier for Fergie to do that when the team was winning most of the games, easily keeping pace with anyone who managed to get ahead of United at the top. Jose has had to flog the bejaysus out of a struggling squad to try and keep pace with the top four.

In other news, for what stories like this are worth, deal for Griezmann supposed to be reached, dependant on getting Cl place.
    http://www.teamtalk.com/news/man-utd-reach-agreement-over-84m-griezmann-swoop

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Will be interesting to see how quick deals get announced if we do get CL. Especially with the likes of Griezzman, won't be much cause to delay thanks to his release clause.

If it's happening, obvs.

• Advertisement

So what are we thinking then in terms of the likelyhood of us getting Griezmann if we do get CL?

I'm going to say 70% sure if we do get it we'll get him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I don't think thats an excuse, I'm not talking about the fine margins of spotting when one particular player needs a rest even if he says he is fine, I'm talking about basic, obvious things like not playing a 35 year old in every minute of every game.

You'll find posts in here from before Christmas talking about how tough our run-in was going to be, it hasn't appeared out of nowhere, and even accounting for bad luck with injuries I do think we could be a little better prepared for it.

As an aside, I kinda understand why TFM hasn't featured much but its a real shame because he could be really useful right now considering the players we have lost.

Its a valid criticism of his season, I just think its excusable this season.

Jose is on record talking about the need to play through an injury or tiredness when circumstances require it. Maybe this season it made sense for him to look for that commitment.

I expected the team to eventually crack under the number of games, between cup and league.

I don;t think there's been enough said about Martial from the weekend either. The amount of work that lad got through was something else. I never thought he'd be that type of player, but if he can do that dog work that Jose needs his striker to do then he's going to see plenty of game time. I was delighted. I know he had the most sprints from our team but I think I heard that that most the most any player has done in the league in one game.

skysports-martial-sprints-manchester-united_3937060.jpg?20170423175602

If that's a glimpse into how he feels about United and how he wants to fight for his place then it's a glimpse into a very bright future.

And another point that hasn't been made enough, was Rooney's movement and awareness for the goal. He was really sharp and read the play so well to cover that much ground to get to the ball. I was delighted for him and you could see it meant a lot to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

We all know how important sprints are :) :pac:

I thought Rooney looked bright and like he actually wanted to play. My main criticism of him was that he looked like he wasn't bothered and was slowing everything down. Himself and Martial did well, it would be great if they could both keep their scoring boots on for the run in.

Ah I know sprints aren't the be all and end all. I think I was more trying to get at being happy to see someone who's attitude has been questioned so obviously bursting his bollocks to try and prove that he's working hard. He left absolutely no doubt about that on Sunday.

So what are we thinking then in terms of the likelyhood of us getting Griezmann if we do get CL?

I'd say Ibra's injury has accelerated the behind the scenes 'talks' that would be going on with any potential forward player, would have said 50/50 before last week, definitely more likely now.
    The groundwork will have been done by the final games of the season, expect 2 or 3 of the supposed 4+ incoming players announced, if not officially, by the time the window actually opens.

• Advertisement

Ah I know sprints aren't the be all and end all. I think I was more trying to get at being happy to see someone who's attitude has been questioned so obviously bursting his bollocks to try and prove that he's working hard. He left absolutely no doubt about that on Sunday.

I wasn't trying to belittle your point, I agree entirely but the graph reminded me of our buddy from the other week (don't know which of them it was) with his Sprint table. Incidentally none of their lads made enough sprints to make that list :D:D

I thought Rooney looked bright and like he actually wanted to play. My main criticism of him was that he looked like he wasn't bothered and was slowing everything down. Himself and Martial did well, it would be great if they could both keep their scoring boots on for the run in.

As much as I think it's high time for Rooney to leave, and personally don't feel he will be remembered as loyaly as say Scholes or Keane despite his achievements, it would be good to see him leave on a high note by shooting United to top 4 and the El.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

paulbok wrote: »
    Jose has had to flog the bejaysus out of a struggling squad to try and keep pace with the top four
    I don't think thats really true. You make it sound like we had to play at our very limit just to try and scratch into 4th place, but the fact is based on performances we should easily be in the top 2/3, the only reason it's in doubt at all is because we screwed it up ourselves by not taking our chances in so many games.

Playing TFM in a few games here and there wouldn't have had any great effect on the results, the defence wasn't our problem and its not as if we ever had a settled defence anyway. And resting Zlatan for Rashford or Martial in certain situations might have helped us, not hindered us...

I do understand where the manager might have been coming from, he needed to win and felt he needed the best team he could put out at all times to be on the field. But understand his reasoning doesn't mean I agree with him, there was scope there to use his squad better.
    I don;t think there's been enough said about Martial from the weekend either. The amount of work that lad got through was something else.

Good for him. Now lets see him do it five more times, because we heard things like this after the Middlesborough game and then he reverted right back to form.

As much as I think it's high time for Rooney to leave, and personally don't feel he will be remembered as loyaly as say Scholes or Keane despite his achievements, it would be good to see him leave on a high note by shooting United to top 4 and the El.

Big time. For him personally Zlatan's injury has come at a great time. Had it not happened then he'd have seen feck all game time in the last month of his United career. He has a real chance now to end it on a high note. If he can keep knocking in goals when he gets chances then he'll keep getting chances.

Of all players I'd love to have him score the winner in the EL final. Please God Mata will be back too if we get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Mirror saying Zlatan has accepted his time at United is over and is targeting a move to the MLS should his recovery go well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I haven't seen this posted.

Being reported by @OndaCero_es that Man United had told Real Madrid they are willing to negotiate the transfer of David de Gea to Madrid

https://twitter.com/CheGiaevara/status/856630353980788736

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Quahog217

why do so many people not rate Valencia here, the only right back better than him in the league is Kyle walker and theres not been much between them this year, and for God's sake he is actually a right back now, people still call him make shift and a winger, players can change positions during there career!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Sunday is the first time he has come back from injury and actually looked ready to play. He was fairly sharp and I guess he's been training hard for a few weeks.

I think if he has a good end of season Jose will be thinking of keeping him around. Rooney doesn't have pace he once had but he certainly benefits from having players around him who do have pace. And we have plenty of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Reckon we have a gentleman agreement withe him that if we qualify for the CL he is ours and personal term have already been agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

With Zlatan probably gone now too, theres every chance united with sign another stirker along with Greizmann....lot of rumours lately pointing to Belotti from Torino, strong, mobile, 2 footed, scores alot of headers, works hard...sounds alot like a typical Jose Striker....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

The green tinted glasses still on when it comes to Keane.

Yeah, he was only a bit player for us, never achieved anything. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Delboy5 wrote: »
    With Zlatan probably gone now too, theres every chance united with sign another stirker along with Greizmann....lot of rumours lately pointing to Belotti from Torino, strong, mobile, 2 footed, scores alot of headers, works hard...sounds alot like a typical Jose Striker....

If we sign a player like Belotti and buy Griezmann as well it means we will be going to be playing a midfield 2 as that would set us up for a 4231, whereas if we just sign Griezmann and a DM we would probably play a 433 with three of Mkhi martial Rashford and Griezmann as an interchanging trio.

If we go 4231 we will be failing to utilise Pogba's best abilities.

Griezmann and a DM would get the best out of our squad IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

astradave wrote: »
    If we sign a player like Belotti and buy Griezmann as well it means we will be going to be playing a midfield 2 as that would set us up for a 4231, whereas if we just sign Griezmann and a DM we would probably play a 433 with three of Mkhi martial Rashford and Griezmann as an interchanging trio.

Agree I think it will be just Greizmann brought for up front as Jose will have more faith in Rashford and Martial next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Disagree.

DM
    Herrera----Pogba
    Greizman
    Rashford
    Belotti

Why is that formation not possible? Mkhitaryan, Lingard and Martial can fill in for Herrera/Pogba/Greizman/Belotti/Rashford.

• Advertisement

How's your Rooney glasses these days?

jayo26 wrote: »

giphy.gif#5-grid1

• jayo26 wrote: »

giphy.gif

giphy.gif#5-grid1
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Only concern about Belotti is he just really came to prominence this season at 23 with an incredible season, and if it's a flash in the pan or the real deal. Plucking him out of Torino, a mid table Italian side, for a big fee and coming to a massive club. Severe risks there and would require extreme patience and tempering of expectations I'd imagine.

Best case scenario he hits the ground running and bags 15-20 goals in the league, reality more like him getting 15 goals in total and taking time to settle.

With playing only one striker, is there not enough talent and cutting edge in Martial and Rashford? I'll still hold out personally in the hope for Lukaku.

I'm expecting a bit of a leap from Mhiki and Pogba next season after having a good pre-season and rest and Mhiki especially hopefully being a more settled part of the team. Plenty of goals and assists there.

So what would we have done with Zlatan then had he not got injured? I think Mitch' lineup is more likely....

• Where's all the Belotti rumours coming from??

Disagree.

DM
    Herrera----Pogba
    Greizman
    Rashford
    Belotti

Why is that formation not possible? Mkhitaryan, Lingard and Martial can fill in for Herrera/Pogba/Greizman/Belotti/Rashford.

I agree, that is a good possibility, I suppose I was thinking about Jose liking to have a settled 11 and Mkhi and Martial wouldn't like to be playing second fiddle so would disrupt the squad. Based on this season it does seem that Jose is rotating the wingers a fair bit so maybe he is changing that a bit.

Actually never even thought of Mata too. I'd say if both are brought in with Mata or Martial would make way

I always feel Griezmann is a left sided forward, ala Neymar or Martial. So yeah, I'd imagine we'd be looking at what Mitch posted. But with Lukaku, hopefully, rather than the Italian chap, who seems to be more of a case of his club trying to big him up so they can get rich (iirc, he was linked to Arsenal and Chelsea over the season too).

Also think against "weaker" teams then, the DM would be dropped for a CAM, and thats where you'd get Mata into the team.

• Advertisement

So what would we have done with Zlatan then had he not got injured? I think Mitch' lineup is more likely....

I actually think that Zlatan wouldn't have played as much next year if he wasn't injured, and I think Jose told him as much and that's why he hadn't committed

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I always feel Griezmann is a left sided forward, ala Neymar or Martial. So yeah, I'd imagine we'd be looking at what Mitch posted. But with Lukaku, hopefully, rather than the Italian chap, who seems to be more of a case of his club trying to big him up so they can get rich (iirc, he was linked to Arsenal and Chelsea over the season too).

Also think against "weaker" teams then, the DM would be dropped for a CAM, and thats where you'd get Mata into the team.

Right sided you mean? You could probably count on your hand the amount of times he has played from the left in the last 2 years or so. If he is playing behind the front man he usually drifts right and cuts in or he is played as a right sided forward

Right sided you mean? You could probably count on your hand the amount of times he has played from the left in the last 2 years or so. If he is playing behind the front man he usually drifts right and cuts in or he is played as a right sided forward

Really? This is why I stress the "I always feel..." part, cause it might damn well be my Fifa/Football manager side of me talking.:P In FM, he's always a left sided player for me :P

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Really? This is why I stress the "I always feel..." part, cause it might damn well be my Fifa/Football manager side of me talking.:P In FM, he's always a left sided player for me :P

Probably cause he started out as a left winger with Sociedad, he really became the player he is now when He was moved into the middle with Atletico. Still had a great goal return for Sociedad from the wing I think

Where's all the Belotti rumours coming from??

Not specifically Belotti but there is alot of talk that United are looking to sign a striker along with Greizmann.....

Time will tell...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Not specifically Belotti but there is alot of talk that United are looking to sign a striker along with Greizmann.....

Time will tell...

I remember papers in January had him linked with arsenal for £65 million

• Advertisement

Where's all the Belotti rumours coming from??

One of the hottest strikers in Europe this season, think it's expected to always see us linked with players like this, any semblance of truth or not

Time will tell...

Plenty of papers have us linked with him, but just general transfer rumour nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Bellotti and Griezmann? Talk about deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Ibrahimovic.

Manchester United Fans talking about links to players by the papers in the "Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017" thread.

Shock ****in horror

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement