Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

If the bid of 40m from Bayern is true. I wonder could United temp Arsenal with a bigger bid? Arsenal seem like a club very concerned with the bottom line and have no champions league money coming in next season. I wonder would their board look at 70/80m from United and be tempted?

He'd be the dream signing from within the league. A real winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

If the bid of 40m from Bayern is true. I wonder could United temp Arsenal with a bigger bid? Arsenal seem like a club very concerned with the bottom line and have no champions league money coming in next season. I wonder would their board look at 70/80m from United and be tempted?

He's not going to anyone within the league this season. Wenger has said so himself several times. Bayern is a big possibility though yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Yeah but what Wenger says, isn't necessarily what Alexis could be thinking/wanting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

domrush wrote: »
    He's not going to anyone within the league this season. Wenger has said so himself several times. Bayern is a big possibility though yes.

a big bid would change that tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

40m +£1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

bassy wrote: »
    a big bid would change that tune

Exactly. Put the money in front of them and I bet the suits in the board room would think differently. Like I said Arsenal are a club that seem to be very money conscious, would they let a 100% increase in a transfer fee in a season where they don't have the champions league money go? I'm not so sure.

What's Alexis now 27/28? At the peak of his powers now, should be in a team competing for League Championships & Champions League year in, year out. Sure 3 F.A Cup winners medals in 4 years is great, but I'm sure he'd want to add a few league/champions league winners medals to his collection before he retires.

He'll get that everywhere besides Arsenal Football Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/elpais_deportes/status/873310095064563713

El Pais, "Morata close to United"

The Guardian saying it's been complicated by De Gea. Are Madrid about to start acting the bollix?

zerks wrote: »

The Guardian saying it's been complicated by De Gea. Are Madrid about to start acting the bollix?

They should wind their necks in and just forget about De Gea.

• Advertisement

They are saying that it's complicated over the friction between the clubs after what happened with Dave in 2015.. not like Dave is getting dragged in or anything

astradave wrote: »
    They are saying that it's complicated over the friction between the clubs after what happened with Dave in 2015.. not like Dave is getting dragged in or anything

Tbh I didn't even read the article, after the players telling Perez they want Navas as their main man I'd a feeling it'd be a nothing story and just Madrid wanting to drag things out.

Tbh I didn't even read the article, after the players telling Perez they want Navas as their main man I'd a feeling it'd be a nothing story and just Madrid wanting to drag things out.

I think it's more the guardian trying to generate clicks, it's a pretty poor article tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    What's Alexis now 27/28? At the peak of his powers now, should be in a team competing for League Championships & Champions League year in, year out. Sure 3 F.A Cup winners medals in 4 years is great, but I'm sure he'd want to add a few league/champions league winners medals to his collection before he retires.

He'll get that everywhere besides Arsenal Football Club.

Ozil has 3 medals, Sanchez only has the 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'll admit, I don't know much about Morata, but what is the consensus on him being our #1 forward? I know he was sold and rebought from Juve but that was only to sell him on at a profit wasn't it? I'm a bit wary of him replacing Zlatan as our main goal supply but I trust Jose knows what he's talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'll admit, I don't know much about Morata, but what is the consensus on him being our #1 forward? I know he was sold and rebought from Juve but that was only to sell him on at a profit wasn't it? I'm a bit wary of him replacing Zlatan as our main goal supply but I trust Jose knows what he's talking about.

If Jose is willing to pay a fortune for him you just have to trust he is gonna be good. Regardless of what he has done at Juve and Real he may not settle or suit the league/formation so you never know. He wasn't just bought back to sell on as they would have done that last Summer if they wanted to. I think they hoped his love for the club would see him happy playing second fiddle but obviously not.

But in my optimistic opinion having seen him maybe 7 or 8 times, he is a very good player who looks like he has great energy and can finish. He's not Peter Crouch in height but he is strong enough to lead the line as a Jose type forward Id say. Im also hoping we go toward a different formation that see's two strikers play more centrally next season so he may not be so isolated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

astradave wrote: »

Herrera will captain United next season

Herrera will captain United next season

Pogba. Quote me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

GSPfan wrote: »
    Pogba. Quote me.

€10 Charity bet?

Herrera Captain - You pay

Pogba - Captain - I pay

Someone else - Both pay

Result based on Jose Declaring the Captain?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I dont trust the morata done stories the last comment i read from morata was hi saying he would be mad to leave real Madrid and the was only a couple days ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Delighted morata has signed with limited fuss. Massive money but fees are insane now so I just can't attribute previous value comparisons anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Oh..... Richard keys seems like the solitary source on this so..... Nope, can't consider it a done deal yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Delighted morata has signed with limited fuss. Massive money but fees are insane now so I just can't attribute previous value comparisons anymore.

Until I see it on manutd.com we may aswell have confirmed signing John Terry, Dustin the Turkey, Lionel Messi and Will Griggs.

€10 Charity bet?

Herrera Captain - You pay

Pogba - Captain - I pay

Someone else - Both pay

Result based on Jose Declaring the Captain?

Ha. Sounds good. Deal.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    DiMarizo confirming we've had another offer for Perisic turned down, this time of €40m. Says Inter want €50m

Morata has also removed the fact he's a Real Madrid player from his Instagram page now too, so that looks like it's moving quick. Seems to be talk of a Monday medical.

Its €10m we should just pay up at this point to get it done.

pjohnson wrote: »

Or, we shouldn't. As it is effectively ruining our negotiations with clubs as they want to squeeze for more and more. If we over pay by 20% in every deal we are a joke. Now and again its ok but to do it as standard its horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

It's not my money however if we initially offer in the region of 30 and have moved to 40 then I think it's time to move on. Almost 70% more than our initial offer means Inter and us have a vastly different opinion in valuation and it's time to move on to other targets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    I dont trust the morata done stories the last comment i read from morata was hi saying he would be mad to leave real Madrid and the was only a couple days ago?

I get the feeling he doesn't necessarily want to leave Madrid, but he does believe he's good enough to be the main striker somewhere, and knows that won't happen at Real, given their insane attacking line up. He wants to prove himself, and we look to be where he thinks he has the best chance to do that. Which is fine by me; if he's motivated like that, well thats good for us, at least short term. Long term, if Real want him back, we can remember how they dealt with us now too ;)
    Or, we shouldn't. As it is effectively ruining our negotiations with clubs as they want to squeeze for more and more. If we over pay by 20% in every deal we are a joke. Now and again its ok but to do it as standard its horrible.

The reality is we are probably better off overpaying now, getting the players Jose wants, and if/when he takes us back to the top of the table, we can then throw our weight around a bit more. At the moment, there's so much competition for players, its more important (at least imo) to get the players Jose wants than to try and do things on the cheap. If Jose believes Morata and Perisic are the players he trusts to move to a title run, you've got to give him what he wants, especially since we don't seem to be the first choice for many players....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its ?10m we should just pay up at this point to get it done.

Indeed, soon the transfer window will be open and then it will be too late.

• Advertisement

The reality is we are probably better off overpaying now, getting the players Jose wants, and if/when he takes us back to the top of the table, we can then throw our weight around a bit more. At the moment, there's so much competition for players, its more important (at least imo) to get the players Jose wants than to try and do things on the cheap. If Jose believes Morata and Perisic are the players he trusts to move to a title run, you've got to give him what he wants, especially since we don't seem to be the first choice for many players....

If we are a soft touch before the window is even open then god help us should we go looking a player in 2 months time.

Indeed, soon the transfer window will be open and then it will be too late.

If we are a soft touch before the window is even open then god help us should we go looking a player in 2 months time.

The window opened yesterday.....

The window opened yesterday.....

Really? And yet that doesn't change a thing, but start panicking if you wish.

I just think we should have the best squad we can next year. If Perisic is on the top of our wanted list for wingers then giving up on him for the sake of 10m is remarkably miserly. We aren't Burnley ffs we have money to build our squad. Its not like Greizmann where the player has announced he wont leave. We dont need to count pennies. Perisic would certainly start on the left for us and improve our attacking threat. Its only 10m not like they are asking for 60 or 70.

But sure, we are. There's no denying it. Every time we hear a story of us being linked to a player, the fee is inflated. While the idea of playing tough over fees is a nice sentiment, it's a dream land until we re-establish ourselves as a top level team. At this point, if we start acting the bolix over that "United Tax", we're going to end up with 4th or 5th choice picks all over the park.

At this point, "acting hard" or whatver will do nothing but send the players we want in other directions. This summer is important, so I'd much rather we get the players Jose wants and builds the team Jose wants. If Jose has a budget and decides that its important to get the specific players in, so be it.

Really? And yet that doesn't change a thing, but start panicking if you wish.

Not panicking just telling you a simple fact you missed. Not panicing either. Sure Seb Larsson costs £0 if we want to keep things tesco style.

We are known as being one of the wealthiest clubs. That inflates fees. Hell in this very thread we were giving DeGea an astronomical fee when Madrid were involved. If Perisic was wanted by Stoke Inter may accept the 30m but since its us they KNOW we can pay more so they want more.

Hell didn't the chairman of Torino literally say he'd sell Belotti to an Italian rival for less than he would a foreign club. Italian clubs generally dont have the budget to spend (look at Milans Kessie deal) but if its Utd/Madrid/City etc. They certainly have the budget so naturally the price increases.

This is business. Simple business. Its hardly suprising a club wants maximum profit on its asset.

Ah thats mental. Perisic is arguably not even worth what we are offering and yet you think we should overpay on top of overpaying? We have a transfer budget so how are we going to get the players Jose wants when we run out of money on the third player?

Throwing our weight around when we are winning? Not even sure what that means. Surely when we are winning we'll be even more loaded and taken to the cleaners even more.

I think our strategy of telling everyone how loaded we are to cover for the fact we've been irrelevant for 3 years has backfired. The Pogba deal might look good in ten years looking back but for now it's a sign we have more money than sense.

But sure, we are. There's no denying it. Every time we hear a story of us being linked to a player, the fee is inflated. While the idea of playing tough over fees is a nice sentiment, it's a dream land until we re-establish ourselves as a top level team. At this point, if we start acting the bolix over that "United Tax", we're going to end up with 4th or 5th choice picks all over the park.

At this point, "acting hard" or whatver will do nothing but send the players we want in other directions. This summer is important, so I'd much rather we get the players Jose wants and builds the team Jose wants. If Jose has a budget and decides that its important to get the specific players in, so be it.

Its got nothing to do with acting hard, its a simple fact that its only the 10th of June and the player in question is not exactly Messi or Ronaldo, the club is absolutely in a good position to take the time to negotiate and make clear that in this instance they only intend to pay a price they deem fair.

The idea that we should roll over and just pay whatever the selling club wants is insane to me, its Leeds 2001 era thinking that would create a horrible precedent, and most of all its completely unnecessary when there are months left before we reach that point.

Its got nothing to do with acting hard, its a simple fact that its only the 10th of June and the player in question is not exactly Messi or Ronaldo, the club is absolutely in a good position to take the time to negotiate and make clear that in this instance they only intend to pay a price they deem fair.

The idea that we should roll over and just pay whatever the selling club wants is insane to me, its Leeds 2001 era thinking that would create a horrible precedent, and most of all its completely unnecessary when there are months left before we reach that point.

Listen, I'm not saying I can't understand the idea behind what you're saying.

My point is simply that this idea that clubs will, what...come to a decision down the road that we suddenly aren't loaded and want their player? With the likes of Perisic, Inter know we want him, we have the cash, and it doesn't look like they are eager to sell. Waiting is as likely to inflate the fee than it is to shrink it, as the longer it goes, the more desperate we're going to look (ala Fellaini).

In a perfect world, we wouldn't need to be having this discussion, but I just believe that in the current market, in our current situation, we're going to end up overpaying by a bit anyway. So I'd rather we bite the bullet over the few extra million, get one of Jose's top choices for the window and give him the summer and the pre-season to start getting bedded in, rather than waiting a few months, having a mad scramble and still overpaying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

So we have bid ?70 million for Belloti aswell, so if that's true we've spent about half our transfer budget on our front 2. If lindelof happens probably leaves us with €100 million for a defensive mid and perisic if that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

JamboMac wrote: »
    So we have bid ?70 million for Belloti aswell, so if that's true we've spent about half our transfer budget on our front 2. If lindelof happens probably leaves us with €100 million for a defensive mid and perisic if that happens.

I am thinking Belotti - if we did bid - was a back-up plan to help negotiations with Real. Keeping an interest in him allowed us to walk away on the Morata deal if Madrid were being awkward, which after the De Gea issue, could probably be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

If Jose is willing to pay a fortune for him you just have to trust he is gonna be good. Regardless of what he has done at Juve and Real he may not settle or suit the league/formation so you never know. He wasn't just bought back to sell on as they would have done that last Summer if they wanted to. I think they hoped his love for the club would see him happy playing second fiddle but obviously not.

But in my optimistic opinion having seen him maybe 7 or 8 times, he is a very good player who looks like he has great energy and can finish. He's not Peter Crouch in height but he is strong enough to lead the line as a Jose type forward Id say. Im also hoping we go toward a different formation that see's two strikers play more centrally next season so he may not be so isolated.

Plus it looks like Jose wants two forwards, i.e. Belotti.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fake news. The fake media wants you to believe this. We are not signing Morata.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

JamboMac wrote: »

What's our transfer budget?

Plus it looks like Jose wants two forwards, i.e. Belotti.

I'm sceptical of that. But also giddy with excitement if true. I want a change of formation next season to 352 as Ive said repeatedly. I think the way our squad looks now and with the transfer targets seemingly coming in I think it makes sense.

Jayop wrote: »
    What's our transfer budget?

Is it not something close to €300 million, at least with all the suggested players it can't be far off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

We're not gonna spend anywhere close to €300 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ha. Sounds good. Deal.

Carrick will still be club captain I would imagine!

J. Marston wrote: »
    We're not gonna spend anywhere close to €300 million.

Really, if we need 5 quality players and at least one will be north of around 60 million, how much do you expect the rest to cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think United will spend around 200m which is still huge.Morata is looking like he will be the big fee around €70 .Fabinho 50m,Perisic 40m,Lindelof 35m.

Those are four of the main rumours .I don't for a second think United will buy Morata and Bellotti,I suspect one is a cover for the other or to force Reals hand.

Might be one or two more signings? another CM/wide man and cover at LB ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement