Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

racso1975 wrote: »
    Hey lads I don't tend to read anything about football over the summer months but just saw the Ibra is being released. Has there been any mention why? I was sure I had read he signed a 1 year extension earlier this year.

Just that when I break my 9 yr olds heart in a while I want to be able to tell him why

There was an option of another year which wasn't taken up because he's out for the start of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Jayop wrote: »
    Some difference in our transfer dealings since Jose took over. Seems to be very little messing around and with the exception of Griezmann we look on target to get all our first choice players. Of course its early days yet but that seems to be the way it's going.

When you look at other clubs scratching around being linked with the likes of Tadic it's a great place to be in. Money and a great manager are a powerful combination.
    I don't think the big clubs would go in for the likes of Lindelof.

Like Bailly?

I don't care if they're big names, especially in defense. Would much prefer a well scouted player who the manager wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Ibra not been given an extension definitely means a new striker and I think morata fits Joses mold moreso than griezmann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

United have always had Nordic fellas in teams down through the years.Defenders especially seem to be dependable,I'd rather have somebody like that than John Stones "who is good on the ball" but can't defend to save his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Some difference in our transfer dealings since Jose took over. Seems to be very little messing around and with the exception of Griezmann we look on target to get all our first choice players. Of course its early days yet but that seems to be the way it's going.

When you look at other clubs scratching around being linked with the likes of Tadic it's a great place to be in. Money and a great manager are a powerful combination.

Strange comment. Unless players come through the youth setups at 'big' clubs (which rarely happens) then they have to come from somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United offered the extention earlier in the season and Ibrahimovic opted not to agree to it at the time because he had not decided if he felt he could get himself to the eight physical condition again for next season - get was waiting ti the end of the season to figure that one out. That was before he got injured.

After the injury it was decided against signing the extension and then deciding on his next move when he regains his fitness, which he will do at United.

That's what I've read on the fanzine sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

zerks wrote: »

United have always had Nordic fellas in teams down through the years.Defenders especially seem to be dependable,I'd rather have somebody like that than John Stones "who is good on the ball" but can't defend to save his life.

I was gonna say but didn't really want to stereotype but the scandinavians are generally cool headed. He might be the perfect foil for Bailly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Juve offering 30m euro for Douglas costa.. we should be all over that if we are looking for a wide player

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »
    I've seen little of Lindelof and Morata, and only slightly more of Fabinho.

If we're signing these, should I be excited?

I'm finally onto the 5th and final stage of Griez, acceptance, so I think I'm ready for some new signings.

Im excited. I know f all about them all really its like being young again getting all your football knowledge from the paper.

I still remember the day I came home from school and read Andy Cole had signed from a new transfer record. ah good times.

Wow. That's some craic between team mates.

Smalling jones, training cough cough :pac:

astradave wrote: »
    Juve offering 30m euro for Douglas costa.. we should be all over that if we are looking for a wide player

My impression would be he wouldn't be a Jose type winger - but I'd certainly like him at that price.

They have done great in the transfer market recently, that dude still has bags of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Gossip that Fabinho will be confirmed this week, some claim it could even happen today.
    Like Lindelof, he was rumoured last January but there would be no deal till the summer.
    Looks very likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Reports that Juve are in talks with Bayern over signing Douglas Costa for €30 million. Juve really are good at hoovering up talent for decent and bargain fees.
    We should be trying for him at that price.

Your right with juve but 90 odd million for higuain was a joke...

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    Gossip that Fabinho will be confirmed this week, some claim it could even happen today.
    Like Lindelof, he was rumoured last January but there would be no deal till the summer.
    Looks very likely.

I don't think it will happen until after Brazil finish their internationals though I thought the same for Lindelof.. isnt Fabinho repesented by Mendes? That would surely speed things up if he is

Edit: Rep by Kick and Run.. who have Dizzy Welbz and William on their books

DM_7 wrote: »
    Belloti would change everything, two real forwards with no doubt about their best position would be a great way to go into the season.

Perisic seems like a Griezmann back up option and a smart one with his pace.

Barkley makes sense in the way Keane did. Adds to English numbers and can be a good squad player if not more. Would be a good replacement for Rooney anyway.

He is much better than the likes of Sinclair, Delph or Ings who got good moves thanks to the fact they are English. Some players can only fulfill potential by playing under real pressure every week, he could be one of those.

I think a club like United should take a chance on him. He might just see out his contract to increase his chances of a big move.

Got to disagree with you, Barkley has a free roam in that team and he just doesnt seem to peform, why should we take a gamble on him.

The lad, Tom Davies looks a real player for them

Fabinho previously said his "objective is to get to a club with the dimension of Manchester United."
    He went on to say he would keep working to make that rumour a reality.

I think he will be a great signing presuming it does happen, and will really help Pogba and Herrera in getting forward.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Fabinho previously said his "objective is to get to a club with the dimension of Manchester United."
    He went on to say he would keep working to make that rumour a reality.

I think he will be a great signing presuming it does happen, and will really help Pogba and Herrera in getting forward.

He got 9 goals and a assist last season, great return for a DM. He looks a solid player all round

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Got to disagree with you, Barkley has a free roam in that team and he just doesnt seem to peform, why should we take a gamble on him.

The lad, Tom Davies looks a real player for them

That's grand.

Just to be clear, a club like United means one of the European qualified sides who have lots of games to play.

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    That's grand.

Just to be clear, a club like United means one of the European qualified sides who have lots of games to play.

Less than last season though i would imagine as were straight into the group stages of the CL
    Definatly the potential is there with Barkley, i just wsh the lad would perform and couldnt see him taking pogbas position any time soon

AidoEirE wrote: »
    He got 9 goals and a assist last season, great return for a DM. He looks a solid player all round

10 goals and 4 assists in total, 9 in the league though I think most of them were penalties

Hello astradave.;):)

Hello astradave.;):)

giphy.gif

10 goals and 4 assists in total, 9 in the league though I think most of them were penalties

Even better, if rooneys/zlatan are gone we are in need of a peno taker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

God those short set piece corners. They never work!!!!

http://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2017/06/11/593c462b468aebc4518b45bc.html

Marca say Mourinho has been in touvh with Morata again.
    "Come to me, you will be important," Mourinho told him directly.The Portuguese has been very sincere in the two communications he has had with Morata and the coach has made him see, in a conversation where respect for Real Madrid has prevailed above all, just what type of role he would be expected to fulfil.

The article goes onto say:
    In addition, the coach has made him see the quality that Manchester United will have next season. He has told Morata that the club is going to return to be powerful, and with the first goal of sealing the Premier League but not forgetting the Champions League, although the latter is a longer term goal.
    The striker, in addition to listening, has wanted to know the opinion of the Spanish players at United, with Ander Herrera and David de Gea making the greatness of the English team very clear.
    On Monday, a new meeting will take place between the agent of the player and Real, at which time the offer of the English club, which Madrid hopes will reach the 90 million euro mark, will be forthcoming.Everything indicates that the proposal from United will be around 70 million.

So De Gea and Herrera have been promoting United to Morata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hopefully we announce Fabinho between Mayo loosing and Ireland loosing need some good sports news.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hopefully we announce Fabinho between Mayo loosing and Ireland loosing need some good sports news.

Ireland drew, it's on..

Looks like its just a matter of time:

https://twitter.com/DavidAmoyal/status/873959450448723968

So Lindelof, Morata and Perisic seem nailed on and Fabinho linked.. that would be a nice transfer window if we just got those and then added to the squad if someone leaves

• Advertisement

Looks like its just a matter of time:

https://twitter.com/DavidAmoyal/status/873959450448723968

So Lindelof, Morata and Perisic seem nailed on and Fabinho linked.. that would be a nice transfer window if we just got those and then added to the squad if someone leaves

I'd agree we dont need Barkley. I'd prefer Pereira be given a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Belottti starting up top for Italy

Imo the Barkley links are just the English media trying to push the notion that he belongs at a big club.

More reports on Italy saying that Perisic could be agreed tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Imo the Barkley links are just the English media trying to push the notion that he belongs at a big club.

More reports on Italy saying that Perisic could be agreed tonight.

Even without any signings I wouldn't have him in our team he has not shown any real ability to progress to the very top level.

I think barkley would have been interesting to the top clubs a couple of seasons ago. Last summer I reckon Spurs would have signed him - but now.... I don't think any of the top sides take a chance on him and I think Spurs would be looking at better too. If he leaves Everton I could see Newcastle signing him as a statement signing. Other than that... West Ham maybe? I think the season just gone has been a very poor one for Barkley. Whether he can recover from that, who knows? I don't see United taking the gamble on him.

Perisic, Morata and Fabinho all appear immenent (and Lindelöf to do his medical). I wonder who'll be outgoing.

Rooney, Smalling, Young and possibly Fellaini are all surplus once those deals are done and dusted.

What you on about...Galway won! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Perisic, Morata and Fabinho all appear immenent (and Lindelöf to do his medical). I wonder who'll be outgoing.

Rooney, Smalling, Young and possibly Fellaini are all surplus once those deals are done and dusted.

Fellaini ain't going nowhere imo.

Rooney and Smalling yes. Youngs versatility would still be valued imo, if he doesn't want to leave he isn't forced out, imo. No chance Fellaini is sold, no matter whether Fabinho is signed.

Assume we do sign Fabiano - that still leaves Pogba, Herrera, Fellaini, Fabinho and Carrick as the natural CM players in a formation that possibly uses 3 of them at a time. Fellaini has proven himself an important member of Mourinho's squad - no way he is sold.

• Advertisement

Rooney is on massive money for nothing so hope he moves on to new pastures. Club legend with his goals

Young is on 100k'ish a week though fof a sub is mad. Stand to be corrected though.
    Between the two thats massive money off the bill for lads who dont play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I dont see the need to be getting rid of the so called no needed players. Apart from rooney and his wages no other player is affecting the squad that much and they would have more use for cups then been sold off.

Again if a player wants to leave let them off but if they are happy to contribute when needed well then keep them.

I'd love to see tfm and Tuanzebe loaned out for the year and periera should definitely get a chance in first team squad this year.

Rooney and Smalling yes. Youngs versatility would still be valued imo, if he doesn't want to leave he isn't forced out, imo. No chance Fellaini is sold, no matter whether Fabinho is signed.

Assume we do sign Fabiano - that still leaves Pogba, Herrera, Fellaini, Fabinho and Carrick as the natural CM players in a formation that possibly uses 3 of them at a time. Fellaini has proven himself an important member of Mourinho's squad - no way he is sold.
    Young would really struggle for games, 3rd choice full back on both sides behind Darmian with Blind and Fabinho/Fosu-Mensah providing even further cover. Martial, Mata, Lingard, Perisic, Mkhitaryan, Rashford all competing for the winger slots? Ashley would be awful bored. I love him and his commitment but he doesn't deserve to rot in the stands.

I'd hope Pereira gets a chance in CM that would make Fellaini somewhat expendable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Young apparently took a pay cut in his last extension.

He hasn't let us down the last few years when he's been called upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

QikBax wrote: »
    Young apparently took a pay cut in his last extension.

He hasn't let us down the last few years when he's been called upon.

Better off playing the younger players than persisting with Young

Young would really struggle for games, 3rd choice full back on both sides behind Darmian with Blind and Fabinho/Fosu-Mensah providing even further cover. Martial, Mata, Lingard, Perisic, Mkhitaryan, Rashford all competing for the winger slots? Ashley would be awful bored. I love him and his commitment but he doesn't deserve to rot in the stands.

I'd hope Pereira gets a chance in CM that would make Fellaini somewhat expendable.

I'm not particularly hoping that Young does get games. but I don't think he will be forced out of the club to make way for new signings. He may see the new signings, and ask to leave - and I think United would let him go without issue - but unless he asks I don't think United look to sell.

I'd also like to see Pereira get game time - either in CM or from the wing - but I don't think that effects Fellaini. Completely different style of midfielder and I think Jose would want to keep Fellaini as a plan B option at the very least. Fellaini has become a warrior for Mourinho, and Mourinho will value that greatly imo.

• Advertisement

I'm not particularly hoping that Young does get games. but I don't think he will be forced out of the club to make way for new signings. He may see the new signings, and ask to leave - and I think United would let him go without issue - but unless he asks I don't think United look to sell.

I'd also like to see Pereira get game time - either in CM or from the wing - but I don't think that effects Fellaini. Completely different style of midfielder and I think Jose would want to keep Fellaini as a plan B option at the very least. Fellaini has become a warrior for Mourinho, and Mourinho will value that greatly imo.

I mean Fellaini certainly could have a spot in the team which is why I separated him from Smalling/Young/Rooney. He provides a unique option for us that is certainly useful.

No way would I want young to go now. Costing feck all and he's a solid squad player who loves the club.

No way would I want young to go now. Costing feck all and he's a solid squad player who loves the club.

I dont want him gone either but he is at best 3rd choice in any of his many positions. He deserves better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We need players like Young.

English.

Can cover a couple of spots.

Happy to be a bit part player.

Would be lunacy to sell him.

Considering the paltry transfer fee he would command coupled with his happiness of being nothing more than a squad player there is no good reason to get rid.

The only one I want gone is Rooney and even that is mostly because he is earning obscene money that could be better utilised.

His wages alone would probably cover Fabinho, Lindelof and the other non Morata player (assuming they are all to join of course)

Belotti scores for Italy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement